News:

Track-by-track video for Fall Into the Light:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0

Main Menu

Female Drummers?

Started by pg1067, August 08, 2019, 03:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pg1067

I didn't see a thread about this (other than a "hot female drummers" thread from nearly a decade ago).

I was talking with a guy at work about something, and we somehow got onto the subject of the Corrs.  For anyone who doesn't know, the Corrs are an Irish pop/rock band whose members are three sisters and a brother with the last name Corr.  Probably best known for the early 2000s song "Breathless."

My friend then asked me if I thought the dearth of famous female drummers was because of physical reasons (e.g., lack of stamina and/or strength).  I dismissed those as possible reasons but then got to thinking about who the most famous female drummers were.

Going back in time, the first name that came to mind was Karen Carpenter.  She could sing like an Angel, but is not exactly remembered for her prowess as a drummer.

My thoughts then went to the Go-Go's and the Bangles and, respectively, Gina Schock and Debbi Peterson, neither of whom is known for significant skill.

Since we were talking about the Corrs, Caroline Corr's name obviously came up, but again, she's not someone known for her drumming prowess.

The next name I thought of was Meytal Cohen who, as far as I know, is completely or nearly unknown outside the world of YouTube.

I then googled "famous female drummers" and the following are the names that came up (other than those already mentioned):

Sheila E. -- I only really knew her as a bubblegum pop star and one of Prince's many girlfriends, but I've seen a few clips that tell me she's the real deal on drums.
Cindy Blackman -- no idea who this is.
Meg White -- I only know one White Stripes song, but Meg's reputation as far as I know is that she's not very good.
Sandy West -- I don't really know any Runaways material.
Moe Tucker -- I know WHO she is and think the Velvet Underground sucked hard, but I know nothing about Tucker's ability as a drummer.
Jen Ledger -- no idea who this is.
Janet Weiss -- no idea who this is.
Hannah Welton -- no idea who this is.
Terri Lyne Carrington -- no idea who this is.
Patty Schemel -- no idea who this is.

There were another eight names I don't know before the next name I recognized (Roxy Petrucci), and then there were another bunch of names I don't know.  And yes, I realize that I'm not always up on some names that are otherwise fairly well-known.

So...what's the deal?  Why aren't there more well-known female drummers?

FlyingBIZKIT

Anguyen92

Jen Ledger is a solid drummer.  Drummer for Skillet.  Sometimes, occasionally sings lead vocals.  Took a crack at doing a solo EP last year.

King Postwhore

I first saw Cindy with Lenny Kravitz.   Solid in the pocket drummer.  She is married to Carlos Santana.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

bosk1

Meytal Cohen was the first I thought of.  Not sure what the answer to the question is.  But I also don't really care. :dunno:  What I mean by that is, whatever the reason is, I don't really view it as some big mystery that needs solving. 

I almost bought Cohen's drum instruction CDs/DVDs awhile back.  She's fantastic.  Here's her newest (although it's an older song):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nikqCZGAsW8  Strange thing is, she doesn't look a day older than when I was following her videos 5 or 6 years ago.

lonestar

ThatOneGuy2112

Sara Lund comes to mind. Drummer for the post-hardcore band Unwound. Not the most technically proficient drummer on the planet or anything, but knows how to keep a beat and embellish creatively in the moment. Her drum work in their music (see: the song Terminus) is really spectacular.

As to your question on why there aren't more popular female drummers, I would argue it's due to two factors:

1.) It would largely depend on how popular the band is that the drummer in question is member to in the first place. There are plenty of female drummers for sure, but more often than not they're a part of lesser known groups, and I don't think having a male drummer as opposed to a female one is what would propel them into stardom. Meg White is famous because she's the drummer for the White Stripes, not because she's a female drummer.

2.) All that said though, generally speaking, rock music is still largely a men's game, where female musicians of any kind are few and far between, at least compared to male musicians. The reason for why this is is something you could argue on till the cows come home, but it's not such a big mystery when you really look at it.

Harmony

Quote from: kingshmegland on August 08, 2019, 04:36:23 PM
I first saw Cindy with Lenny Kravitz.   Solid in the pocket drummer.  She is married to Carlos Santana.

First saw her on a Santana concert DVD about 10 years back.  She's badass.  I'd never seen a woman drum like that before.

Saw this the other day.  It's probably my least favorite Peter Gabriel tune but fun to watch this prodigy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJhhY5h9Hc

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

The Walrus

There's a Finnish all-girl group called Indica. I only know one album of theirs, an album that was re-recorded in English and arranged/produced by Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish) - it's called A Way Away and although she's not doing anything flashy, it's cool to see an all girl group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTq6UmhS80

T-ski

SoundscapeMN

Stella Mozgawa (of Warpaint)

romdrums

Hannah Welton was Prince's last drummer.  Her groove is nasty!  Terri Lynn Carrington is a long time jazz drummer and I believe she currently teaches at Berklee School of Music in Boston.  She's a very musical player.  Terry Bozzio's daughter is also an up and coming drummer.

Ruba

Quote from: Kattelox on August 08, 2019, 05:16:42 PM
There's a Finnish all-girl group called Indica. I only know one album of theirs, an album that was re-recorded in English and arranged/produced by Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish) - it's called A Way Away and although she's not doing anything flashy, it's cool to see an all girl group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTq6UmhS80

Oh yes, they were moderately popular here in mid 2000s. Heard one of their songs on radio about a month ago and wondered what happened to them.

As for the topic, Carla Azar of Autolux is awesome.

The Curious Orange

Quote from: pg1067 on August 08, 2019, 03:45:05 PM
Janet Weiss -- no idea who this is.

You've never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Dammit, Janet!

Ben_Jamin

Besides those mentioned I can think of

Stefanie Eulinberg (Kid Rock)
Suzette Quintanilla (Selena Y Los Dinos)

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Emmanuelle Caplette and Anika Nilles are two of my favourite female drummers today.

Sadly most of the time female drummers are known for their look or for being in some band rather than their instrument skills.
When I first heard Anika I was so excited to hear a female drummer that played with such great technique and flow.

Quote from: lonestar on August 08, 2019, 04:48:20 PM
This thread needs some Senri Kawaguchi....

https://youtu.be/nrHJoY6RzR0
She's insane!  :tup

Stadler

Stadler

Sammy Hagar's last episode (meaning, the last one that aired, not the series finale) had a drum roundtable with Jason Bonham, Kenny Aronoff, and Sheila E.   The roundtable was a little awkward at times, but they wrapped up with a three-drum version of "Wipe Out" and she did really well.   Different style than Bonham or Aronoff - more of a latin percussion vibe - but it really fit in nicely to the song.   

Completing the circle, her dad was Pete Escovedo (famous drummer and band leader who was in Santana for a while) and one of her uncles was also in Santana.  Her niece is Nicole Richie, not a drummer as far as I'm aware.

lonestar

Quote from: MrBoom_shack-a-lack on August 09, 2019, 02:02:51 AM

Yeah, I've been following her since she was at the "quirky young Asian prodigy" phase, and to see her grow from that to playing with Guthrie Govan on his Japan tour, doing an impromptu drum off with Minneman during an Aristocrats show, and putting out two mind blowing solo jazz albums. Love to see the progress, growth, and undeniable talent, and she remains such a humble charming young lady the whole way through.

pg1067

Quote from: TAC on August 08, 2019, 05:15:13 PM
Rikki Rockett

Winner!

Quote from: ThatOneGuy2112 on August 08, 2019, 05:02:05 PM
2.) All that said though, generally speaking, rock music is still largely a men's game, where female musicians of any kind are few and far between, at least compared to male musicians. The reason for why this is is something you could argue on till the cows come home, but it's not such a big mystery when you really look at it.

This occurred to me after I posted and started trying to think of well-known female guitarists and bass players and came up nearly as empty.  For whatever reason, there seem to be relatively few bands of mixed gender, except for bands with female vocalists.  I guess it's the same reason why the ten flute players in my kid's high school marching band this year and last have all been female.  Speaking of my kid and female drummers, here's a picture of her from about 8 years ago (yes, she was actually playing, and yes, the picture was taken on Halloween).  Sadly, she stopped playing drums, but she's a kickass flute and piccolo player, so I can't be too sad.

cramx3

Pop Evil has a female drummer

I really haven't noticed many personally, but I expect to see more in the future as women have been breaking into metal way more of lately. 

bosk1

Hopefully, somebody taught pg1067's daughter that there is no reason to space your rack toms that far apart. 

pg1067

Quote from: bosk1 on August 09, 2019, 09:59:54 AM
Hopefully, somebody taught pg1067's daughter that there is no reason to space your rack toms that far apart.

It was a used kit I bought through Craigslist, and I don't recall the mounting hardware giving me much choice.

SoundscapeMN

Hazime Handa of Ars Nova who are an all Japanese prog band.

ThatOneGuy2112

Also shout out to Kahokiss of Otoboke Beaver, an all female Japanese punk band. Itekoma Hits is straight fire.

JayOctavarium

I know one.

Kate Cabebe from the Disney Band KSM that fizzled out about 10 years ago :lol

Does... that count?

DTA

I only know the youtube ones and I'm not impressed with any but Anika Nilles. She's the only one who plays her ass off while a bunch of other ones spend more time looking hot and playing simple songs. Meytal may be good at what she does, but she plays pretty basic songs and is more interested in showing off her body than any real technique.

bosk1

Quote from: DTA on August 09, 2019, 01:41:06 PMMeytal may be good at what she does, but she plays pretty basic songs and is more interested in showing off her body than any real technique.

???  Really?  DT, Tool, Rush, and A7X are "basic" on drums?  And, other than sometime wearing a tank top, I think she dresses fairly conservatively.  I don't understand your comment.

pg1067

Quote from: bosk1 on August 09, 2019, 02:13:31 PM
Quote from: DTA on August 09, 2019, 01:41:06 PMMeytal may be good at what she does, but she plays pretty basic songs and is more interested in showing off her body than any real technique.

???  Really?  DT, Tool, Rush, and A7X are "basic" on drums?  And, other than sometime wearing a tank top, I think she dresses fairly conservatively.  I don't understand your comment.

Nor do I.  Tom Sawyer is so difficult that, even at the very end of his career, Neil Peart said it was difficult to play correctly.  It looks to me like the only DT song she's done is PMU, which might not be DT's most difficult song, but it's hardly "basic."  And I wonder if Mike Portnoy was just "showing off [his] body" when he wore shorts and a tank top or his leotard.

I don't really get the point of making a career out of note-for-note covers of other artists' material, but she probably does pretty well for herself, so....

bosk1

I don't get a lot of people's life choices.  But my failure to "get it" doesn't make them any less valid.  :dunno:

As far as DT covers, I thought she had also done As I Am and Metropolis at some point.  But I don't see those videos, so either I am misremembering or she took them down.  But either way, as you and I agree, she has done quite a few songs that are far from "basic."

El Barto

She's a good, but probably not great drummer. While I don't think she was "showing off her body," I do think she was definitely mindful of working in some sex appeal for the clicks. And more power to her. People know who she is now, and they know that she's got some talent.

I think part of the problem is that there's still some novelty. As I just described female drummers showing off on YT tend to always work in some sex appeal and that doesn't help to make it any more mainstream. Having a hot chick in your band can come off as a gimmick. I think the bigger issue is that having guys and gals in a band almost always complicates things severely, and as already mentioned, female drummers tend to be better known for the band they're in. It's going to be, somewhat understandably, more difficult for them to gain widespread exposure. 

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: lonestar on August 09, 2019, 09:01:38 AM

Yeah, I've been following her since she was at the "quirky young Asian prodigy" phase, and to see her grow from that to playing with Guthrie Govan on his Japan tour, doing an impromptu drum off with Minneman during an Aristocrats show, and putting out two mind blowing solo jazz albums. Love to see the progress, growth, and undeniable talent, and she remains such a humble charming young lady the whole way through.
She's so tiny yet plays with so much power, timing and confidence, it's pretty amazing actually.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: El Barto on August 09, 2019, 02:47:52 PM
As I just described female drummers showing off on YT tend to always work in some sex appeal and that doesn't help to make it any more mainstream.
Not sure what you mean? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6w_3P_l5FA

:biggrin:

lonestar

Quote from: MrBoom_shack-a-lack on August 09, 2019, 05:29:44 PM
Quote from: lonestar on August 09, 2019, 09:01:38 AM

She's so tiny yet plays with so much power, timing and confidence, it's pretty amazing actually.

Quite...she's seriously one of my favorites across the board as far as drummers go.

Here's the video of her with the Aristocrats...she and Marco have a little fun drum off on various stage equipment before she takes over Marco's kit and does some serious damage to it. As one of the commentators says, and I must agree, the real talent comes in taking over on someone else's kit...especially someone who is a good foot and a half taller and probably a good foot and a half longer wingspan. She is the real deal for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_NDvn0b6zs