News:

Dreamtheaterforums.org is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE!!!

Main Menu

ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!

Started by ariich, May 01, 2020, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the max number of artists in the EP round be increased from 4 to 5?

Yes that would be much better and Cyril is very attractive.
3 (14.3%)
No that's a terrible idea, Cyril should be stoned.
5 (23.8%)
Whatever.
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 08, 2020, 02:08:19 PM

Elite

Quote from: ariich on May 27, 2020, 05:59:06 AM
Quote from: Elite on May 27, 2020, 02:28:45 AM
Quote from: ariich on May 26, 2020, 05:14:18 AM
2.   :millahhhh  [Elite – Kamasi Washington]

This is almost the most useless first impression ever, I think :lol
:lol Well I don't mean it only to mean "this is jazz" in the same way that #3 doesn't just mean "this is metal". :P

Well, let's hope it means something like 'this is some cool shit  :millahhhh . yeah.' then.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Crow

that marsyas album i enjoyed. maybe not the most original thing yeah but it's very competent. vocals are a bit eehhh but the music is cool, situated right between prog rock and metal too so the fogeys here will probably not hate it

Sacul

ariich

Quote from: Train of Naught on May 26, 2020, 11:54:29 PM
By the way I'm very late with this but please DO check out No NOW by Clarence Clarity and the two latest albums by Algiers, if you like all that stuff I sent you you'll surely dig those. The Algiers debut is ehhhhh but the other two are great and have an even wider sound range than the songs I sent you. Madame Rieux is my favourite song as well though, I'm afraid they don't have anything quite as somber sounding as that, but it's worth the effort!
Forgot to reply to this but yeah I already gave No Now a couple of listens and it's excellent - a couple of slightly eh songs but not enough to hurt the overall quality.

I'll certainly be giving the Algiers albums a listen as well, but probably not until after the roulette.

More generally, everything that scores an 8.0 or higher I'll check out at least one full album, often more. Below 8, there are a bunch of others I'll want to check out as well but probably not quite so consistently and based more on a judgement of where I think there's most chance I'll really like a full album.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Buddyhunter1

honestly I'm just here for the post-roulette album write-ups

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 27, 2020, 02:10:18 PM
honestly I'm just here for the post-roulette album write-ups
They'll probably be short simply because of the sheer number of them (it's all your faults for sending me so much enticing music) but I'm very happy to continue to report back once the roulette is over!

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

jingle.boy

That's why I did a top 150 list of the best songs I got in my roulettes. I wanted to give back to my roulette community.  :lol

I'd love to see more of that - like, what really connected with people long term after the initial roulette phase of discovery? What was a one-off great song?  What ended up being a great album... or a full on discography purchase?

These are questions that need answers!!
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

TAC

Quote from: jingle.boy on May 28, 2020, 03:33:29 AM
That's why I did a top 150 list of the best songs I got in my roulettes. I wanted to give back to my roulette community.  :lol

I'd love to see more of that - like, what really connected with people long term after the initial roulette phase of discovery? What was a one-off great song?  What ended up being a great album... or a full on discography purchase?

Yeah, I thought that was a great idea Chad.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on May 28, 2020, 04:07:37 AM

Yeah, I thought that was a great idea Chad.

Indeed.

ariich

Yeah that was a very cool idea. And I have previously considered doing a thread on my favourite discoveries that have stuck with me from past roulettes, but whenever I think maybe I'll do that, I get the itch to start another roulette and just do that instead. :lol

Given that this isn't an album roulette this time, I think in the first instance I'll report back (in this thread) for a while on my exploration of full albums by the artists in this roulette. But if others also like the idea of returning to how well things lasted from past roulettes, I think I'll do a thread on that to include all my roulettes (including this one) before I do my next one. My v1 and v2 were 8-10 years ago and most people who played in them aren't very active anymore, but I'll probably even give a quick high-level summary for those as well. 

King Postwhore

I know you've been egging me to do my top 50 albums of all time.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

jingle.boy

Quote from: kingshmegland on May 28, 2020, 05:28:55 AM

That AND a Roulette of your own.

Your subjects need this!!!
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

The Walrus

Man, that's a great idea. I'd love to go through all my roulettes and pluck out my favorites, there's soooo many amazing songs to choose from. Maybe I'll do that after mamboroulette no. 5 :)

King Postwhore

I might dabble over the weekend and work on the albums to pick and flush out the 50.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

wolfking

Quote from: kingshmegland on May 28, 2020, 05:53:03 AM
I might dabble over the weekend and work on the albums to pick and flush out the 50.

Awesome.

jingle.boy

Buddyhunter1

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 28, 2020, 07:34:57 AM
We getting comparisons today?
Yes indeed - not been able to do quite so much listening this week but still on track to finish third listens (and therefore tentative ratings) by this evening, when I'll get comparisons up.

Stadler

Quote from: kingshmegland on May 28, 2020, 05:28:55 AM

I've been working on mine for like 6 months. It's hard AF. 

Tomislav95

I'm definitely ^ this time, can't get worse that last round given first impression was positive.

ariich

It's rather looking like this round is going to have the smallest range of scores so far, particularly driven by nothing scoring especially low.

ariich

Round 4 comparisons
Again these are indicative and subject to change.
Comparisons are with the Round 3 score.
Ordered by Round 3 ranking (just the ranking for that round, not the total score).

Katt v
Evermind v
Buddy =
Cyril v
Nekov v
Puppies v
Lethean v
Indi v
Luoto =
king v
Sacul ^
Shadow v
TAC v
jingle ^
romdrums ^
wolfking ^
lonestar v
Tomi ^
Stadler ^
Elite ^
Train ^
LordCost ^

Buddyhunter1

Nearly all of the top moving down and all of the bottom moving up? THIS IS THE FUTURE THAT LIBERALS WANT

The Walrus

Crow

WE'RE GOING DOWN, DOWN, SHUBADOBADOO DOWN

you're wrong, btw

Indiscipline

Buddyhunter1

It's okay Cyril, you're still getting an 8.5 because your scores can't be more than a 0.1 difference away from mine

Crow

Nekov

Interesting, I would have thought I'd do better this round

King Postwhore

Evermind

Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

lonestar

jingle.boy

@ Lucas...

Now to wait until tomorrow/Saturday....

wolfking

ariich