John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (feat. LaRue & Portnoy) Digital 8/28, CD 10/30

Started by The Letter M, June 03, 2020, 08:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Progmetty

Song is not that interesting, everything on Suspended Animation had more edge than this. I'm still getting the album though and pretty excited about the rest of it.
I think having Portnoy on this album is a very smart move on JP's part, from many aspect. I believe a ton of people are more interested to hear MP play with JP again than anything else, including me and I've been waiting for this album for years AND I like Mike Mangini just fine.

TAC

Quote from: Progmetty on August 07, 2020, 07:59:53 PM

I think having Portnoy on this album is a very smart move on JP's part, from many aspect. I believe a ton of people are more interested to hear MP play with JP again than anything else,

I can get on board with this.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

gzarruk

Song is not that interesting, everything on Suspended Animation had more edge than this. I'm still getting the album though and pretty excited about the rest of it.

That's me as well. I like the track, but it still hasn't really clicked with me yet, despite multiple listens. Sounds like a bunch of cool parts that don't mesh that well with each other. Still, I heard previews for the rest of the tracks on the Itunes store and they all sound really good :metal :metal :metal

Kotowboy

Quote from: TAC on August 07, 2020, 08:01:48 PM

I think having Portnoy on this album is a very smart move on JP's part, from many aspect. I believe a ton of people are more interested to hear MP play with JP again than anything else,

I can get on board with this.

I listened to the song once already and MP is still using his bag of tricks. Can pretty much guarantee there'll be a fill where he hertas from the octobans all the way down to the floor tom.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Sounds pretty cool, nice hearing JP and MP making music again.  :tup

Peter Mc

Previews sound great. Snake in My Boot snippet starts of sounding like full on Edward Van Halen but, by the end, has morphed into something completely different. Looking forward to this a lot, my only caveat is the length of the songs.  These are long songs for guitar instrumentals and I did find that an issue with Suspended Animation that many of the songs just went on too long and outstayed their welcome a bit.

As for Mike's "bag of tricks", I'm pretty sure JP knows his style and that's why he hired him, great to hear them playing together.  I'd love to know if any other drummer gets this level of scrutiny, do you guys listen to Beatles albums and listen to see if Ringo keeps doing new things on every record?

erwinrafael

Well, the Ringo in Come Together is different from the Ringo in Can't Buy Me Love, so yeah.  :rollin

Dream Team

As much as I hate to say it, that first song was very underwhelming. Hoping the rest is more interesting.

Dedalus

Quote from: Peter Mc on August 08, 2020, 03:54:59 AM
As for Mike's "bag of tricks", I'm pretty sure JP knows his style and that's why he hired him, great to hear them playing together.  I'd love to know if any other drummer gets this level of scrutiny, do you guys listen to Beatles albums and listen to see if Ringo keeps doing new things on every record?

Do you know Mike Mangini?

Peter Mc

Ok, I'll rephrase that, any other drummer who isn't a member or former member of Dream Theater!

ProfessorPeart

Sort of sounds like MP was directed on how to play on this album. The 'usual bag of tricks' might have been a bit restricted.

http://bravewords.com/news/dream-theater-guitarist-john-petrucci-talks-working-with-mike-portnoy-on-new-solo-album-i-m-really-happy-that-he-did-it

Petrucci: "What was really cool about playing with him - and when I say playing 'with him,' it's a bit of a stretch because I had written and recorded all the music and did drum programming. Mike learned the album and played it to my tracks, so we didn't really play it 'together,' but what I like is that he made it sound like we played together. His playing is very lively and energetic and off the cuff and spirited. So even though he had to learn pre-existing songs and listen to the drum programming that me and my producer, Jimmy T. (Meslin) had done, he was still able to interpret it in his own way and I think it brought the songs to life.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

gzarruk

Mladen

Stadler

I love this post.   Good call. 

The Walrus

Your first mistake here is thinking MP and Ringo are comparable beyond playing the same instrument

Mladen

Peter Mc

Quote from: The Walrus on August 10, 2020, 06:39:29 AM

Your first mistake here is thinking MP and Ringo are comparable beyond playing the same instrument

I'm not sure that I suggested any comparison beyond them both playing the same instrument.  I don't know The Beatles music intimately despite actually being from Liverpool, just asking the question whether people scrutinise drummers in their other favourite bands to this degree where they have to constantly come up with new fill and tricks 30+ years into their career.

Dream Team

Quote from: Dream Team on August 08, 2020, 12:20:33 PM
As much as I hate to say it, that first song was very underwhelming. Hoping the rest is more interesting.

I've changed my opinion 180 degrees after having a good listen with headphones, I like it a lot and really dig MP's drumming.

Cool Chris

Just read on YouTube comments:

Music: John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy
Lyrics: John Myung

CrimsonSunrise

Quote from: Cool Chris on August 11, 2020, 08:41:31 PM

:rollin

Honestly, loved hearing them play together again but the song itself was a little ...Blah...

MinistroRaven

"I understand where people are coming from with that. One of the concerns I had, a little bit - not musically at all - but about Mike, is I didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

"Mike Mangini has been in Dream Theater for 10 years now. How many albums did we do together already? Three? Plus two live albums. A lot of music and touring.

"So he's the drummer in Dream Theater, and I didn't want there to be any weirdness or misconception that, 'Oh, this means that Mike's gonna come back.' It's just not the case.

"I think that for me, in a selfish way, I get the best of both worlds 'cause I get to play with two of the greatest drummers in the world, in Dream Theater and with my solo stuff. And it's great for me as a guitar player - it's wonderful.

"I think it's really important for everybody's sake, for fans to understand this. I think it's important, out of respect for both drummers - for Mike Mangini and Mike Portnoy - that there's no misconstrued thing: 'Oh, this means something else.'

"This is him [Portnoy] playing on my solo album, which is a really happy moment for me.

"For me, I knew that that would kind of be part of the story - I accept that. So the best I can do is try to be as clear as I can. I don't want people to get the wrong idea.

"I don't wanna create any drama or weirdness because it's all positive. I made a solo album - finally, after 15 years - and I got my friend to play drums on it, who I haven't played with in 10 years. So that's the vibe."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_addresses_speculation_that_mike_portnoy_is_rejoining_dream_theater_stresses_what_fans_need_to_understand.html

ReaperKK

Dublagent66

The Letter M

Quote from: Cool Chris on August 11, 2020, 08:41:31 PM

:lol :lol :lol

Amazing. I've heard the song once or twice now, and while I liked it, I want to hear the whole thing before I feel like I can make any judgements on this song or the member's playing. It's still very exciting that JP is FINALLY releasing a new solo album this year, though I wonder if any of those ideas might have been earmarked for a future DT album, or if he has kept his solo-album ideas separate from DT-song ideas?

-Marc.

Zydar

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: Zydar on August 17, 2020, 05:09:48 AM
Plenty of food analogies in that one.
and allusions to punk (yes, punk, of all things), which I found absurdly hilarious. Almost Pythonian in some ways. (both that allusion and the review entirely)
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

devieira73

From all the review, I think we can pick this as the most useful part of it:
"Particularly on "Temple of Ciradia," easily the albums heaviest number, as the Portnoy/LaRue dynamic truly takes hold. As it does again in "Gemini", capturing a grittier, heavy rock vibe with the main riff that fizzes past. After several brief interludes that echo early Velvet Revolver, waves of Flamenco guitar wash over you and its all-glorious good fun. Though, lest we forget its more somber moments found in the ballad "Out of the Blue" which hauntingly captures the spirit of Gary Moore. And yet, 'Terminal Velocity' continuously detours back to genial solos boasting a broad, pop-punk smile. Most notably in "Happy Song," sounding as if Big Country instrumentally reimagined the Sum-41 hit "Still Waiting"."
It seems in line from what I've heard from those 1,5 minute samples from itunes. But I think Out of the Blue was more jazzy than bluesy. But, as a first review, it was kind of a missed oportunity...
Just an observation, here in DTF, we get used to kind of review the reviews, right? ;D

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Peter Mc

Only on song 2 and there is an undeniable chemistry between JP and MP.  It's the best I've heard MP sound in a long time, insanely good playing from them both.

NoseofNicko

pfillion

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: NoseofNicko on August 27, 2020, 04:36:44 PM
Happy Song sounds like a pop punk song in parts lol.

Sum 41 meets Satriani... :lol

It's on Spotify for me amazingly, as it's only 10 pm here.  :biggrin:

ariich

Quote from: NoseofNicko on August 27, 2020, 04:36:44 PM
Happy Song sounds like a pop punk song in parts lol.
Not just in parts, it's entirely a pop punk tune just with some shredding over the top. :lol

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.