How many songs from Master of Puppets are in your Metallica top 10?

Started by KevShmev, May 18, 2021, 05:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many songs from Master of Puppets are in your Metallica top 10?

Voting closes: February 28, 2027, 04:28:09 AM

KevShmev

I will go with six.

As much as I like a lot of material from ...AJFA and the 90's albums, my 10 favorite Metallica songs are all from Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
The Call of Ktulu
Master of Puppets
The Thing That Should Not Be
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Disposable Heroes
Leper Messiah
Orion

Zantera

Maybe 5?. I know Damage Inc and Leper Messiah wouldn't make my top10 (I still like both), there's a few that either just make it or not.

Without sitting down and making a compiled Metallica top10, I think either 4 or 5.

hefdaddy42

Honestly, just the title track.

I like the whole album, but for the most part, I think it's better as a unit than singly.  The title track is sensational, and is easily in my Top 10, but the rest of my Top 10 is populated by my favorite songs from other albums.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Lonk

Looking at the track list and thinking about the other albums, 4 songs.

Fade to Black
Master of Puppets
Disposable Heroes
Orion

MirrorMask

Quote from: Vmadera00 on May 18, 2021, 06:00:24 AM

Fade to Black
Master of Puppets
Disposable Heroes
Orion

Wat

Lonk

Quote from: MirrorMask on May 18, 2021, 06:02:10 AM

Fade to Black
Master of Puppets
Disposable Heroes
Orion

Wat

Phoenix87x

Battery
Master of puppets
Sanitarium
Orion

The rest of my top ten:

Fade to black
Nothing else matters
Ride the lightning
The 4 horsemen
Unforgiven
For whom the bell tolls

DTA

Zero

Most of my favorites come from Load/Reload/TBA/Lightning but I still really like every single song on MoP with the title track, Battery, and Sanitarium being very close to making the top 10.

Zydar

I'd guess two - Battery and the title track. The album is equally strong overall, except Leper Messiah which is the weak(er) link there for me.

krands85

Only 2 probably - MoP and Battery - even though it's my favourite Metallica album and one of the best metal albums ever.

Top 10 in chronological order would be something like:

Ride the Lightning
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Creeping Death
Am I Evil?
Battery
Master of Puppets
Blackened
...And Justice for All
One
Spit out the Bone

Welcome Home (Sanitarium) might sneak in if Am I Evil was excluded. Honourable mentions to The Four Horsemen, Fade to Black and The Day that Never Comes.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

WildRanger

Probably these 3: Sanitarium, Battery and Disposable Heroes.

IMO the title track is over-praised.

TheCountOfNYC

01: Master of Puppets*
02: Orion*
03: Welcome Home (Sanitarium)*
04: Blackened
05: Sad But True
06: Creeping Death
07: ...And Justice For All
08: All Nightmare Long
09: The Four Horsemen
10: Damage Inc.*

Fade to Black
Master of Puppets
Disposable Heroes
Orion

Fade to Black is on Ride the Lightning. Sanitarium is the ballad on Master of Puppets.

pg1067

Hmmm...

My top 10 would for sure include the following:

Creeping Death
Call of Ktulu
Battery
Master of Puppets
Damage, Inc.
Blackened
The Shortest Straw
Dyers Eve

That leaves two spots, which would go to two of the following:

The Four Horsemen
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Wherever I May Roam
Nothing Else Matters

So...I voted for 3.

Lonk

Quote from: TheCountOfNYC on May 18, 2021, 08:39:16 AM

Fade to Black
Master of Puppets
Disposable Heroes
Orion

Fade to Black is on Ride the Lightning. Sanitarium is the ballad on Master of Puppets.

:facepalm: Took me until you pointed it out to remember that. In that case my answer is 3 :|

Orion probably makes it. Nothing else comes particularly close. This is not among my favorite Metallica albums.

TAC

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on May 18, 2021, 05:41:41 AM
Honestly, just the title track.

Yeah I think so as well. I'd have to sit and do a Top 10, but at first glance, I think this would be the only one that'd make it.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

twosuitsluke

Just Master of Puppets and Orion for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE every song (not you Leper Messiah) but they just have such a strong catalogue!
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Elite

The title-track I guess? and Battery

Damage Inc. and Disposable Heroes are possible, but I'm not sure what other Metallica songs I'd want in my personal top 10 anyway.

Some definitive contenders are Ride the Lightning, Fade to Black, One and Blackened. Wherever I May Roam and Nothing Else Matters as well.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

kirksnosehair

I like the heavy one with the wah-soaked pentatonic guitar solo  :corn

ZERO - my answer is zero.  I don't really have a top 10 list of favorite Metallica songs because I'm not really that much of a fan.  But if I had to pick 10 songs none of the songs on this album would be on my list. 

bl5150

EPICVIEW

Dream Team

Lately I tend to like Disposable more than the others. Battery and Damage could also make the list but I have 5 from Lightning, 2 from Justice and 2 from Metal Up Your Ass so . . .

Oh, almost forgot Spit Out The Bone.

Adami

I can't get into rankings, but I can go as far as my top 2 Metallica songs, which are Dyer's Eve and Fixxxer. I love every song off MoP and I assume a few would make my top 10 if I cared to make one. it's a fantastic album, every song.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TAC

Here is my Top 10 in chronological order

Hit The Lights
Whiplash
The Four Horsemen
Creeping Death
Fade To Black
Master Of Puppets
Blackened
One
Dyer's Eve
Frayed Ends Of Sanity

Adami

Quote from: TAC on May 18, 2021, 06:41:53 PM
Dyer's Eve is amazing!

It really is. It sad they didn't play it live back in the 80s or early 90s. It just has no bite when they do it in the 2000s and Lars always skips out on the double bass.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

I'll take up the other one: Fixxxer is amazing! You can keep all your thrash classics; that's the most intense chorus in the Metallica discography.

Volante99

I picked 3
Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, and Disposable Heroes are all top tier 'tallica for me.

Battery is probably a top 15 though.

Volante99

Quote from: kirksnosehair on May 18, 2021, 11:40:27 AM

ZERO - my answer is zero.  I don't really have a top 10 list of favorite Metallica songs because I'm not really that much of a fan.  But if I had to pick 10 songs none of the songs on this album would be on my list.

Lemme guess- you're 'that guy' who digs 'the Disappear song' from that Tom Cruise movie.  :angel: :corn

Zoom E

At least three. Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (SanitariumJ and Orion.

Trav

I had to think about this because I'm not sure if I've ever made a Top 10 Metallica Songs list.
I came up with four...

Master of Puppets
Disposable Heroes
Orion

Mladen

Probably only two. The title track and Disposable heroes.

cfmoran13

DTA

Quote from: Volante99 on May 18, 2021, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: kirksnosehair on May 18, 2021, 11:40:27 AM

Lemme guess- you're 'that guy' who digs 'the Disappear song' from that Tom Cruise movie.  :angel: :corn

That's a great song and is better than a lot of what's come after it

Dream Team

Quote from: Adami on May 18, 2021, 06:57:20 PM
Quote from: TAC on May 18, 2021, 06:41:53 PM
Dyer's Eve is amazing!

It really is. It sad they didn't play it live back in the 80s or early 90s. It just has no bite when they do it in the 2000s and Lars always skips out on the double bass.

Album version is KILLER. I'd like to hear other metal bands with capable drummers cover it. I still have a fever dream of Portnoy replacing Ulrich.