Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WilliamMunny and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

TAC

Yeah, and it's never made me feel rushed. I'll likely pick up my pace to try and reciprocate the gesture by not dragging my ass, but I've never had an issue with it.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Harmony

Quote from: Stadler on July 24, 2023, 02:19:48 PM
Quote from: TAC on July 24, 2023, 01:27:39 PM
Sorry, but I think she looks weird in the clips. Especially her face.

You misspelled "hot as bejeezus".

I wouldn't kick her out of my bed for eating crackers, that's for sure.   :P

As for the combination of promotion for the 2 movies - with the writer's strike and now actors joining in, promotion for most movies by actors have gone silent.  So I think what we are witnessing is less of one type of promotion and more of another.

For example, Marc Maron interviewed Cillian Murphy before the strike and so he was able to air the interview post strike as it was already in the can.  If he had interviewed Murphy after the strike, he would not have been able to talk about the film.

FTR, it was a pretty great interview.

WilliamMunny

Quote from: Harmony on July 25, 2023, 04:39:07 PM

As for the combination of promotion for the 2 movies - with the writer's strike and now actors joining in, promotion for most movies by actors have gone silent.  So I think what we are witnessing is less of one type of promotion and more of another.

For example, Marc Maron interviewed Cillian Murphy before the strike and so he was able to air the interview post strike as it was already in the can.  If he had interviewed Murphy after the strike, he would not have been able to talk about the film.

HUGE Maron fan here, and I really feel like he's come into his own over the past few years (really, since Lynn died).

The Cillian interview was next-level good.

Harmony

Quote from: WilliamMunny on July 25, 2023, 04:53:38 PM

HUGE Maron fan here, and I really feel like he's come into his own over the past few years (really, since Lynn died).

I couldn't agree more.  Maron was definitely a huge factor for me surviving the pandemic.  I love that guy like he's my family.  :heart

WilliamMunny

Quote from: Harmony on July 25, 2023, 05:00:29 PM

I couldn't agree more.  Maron was definitely a huge factor for me surviving the pandemic.  I love that guy like he's my family.  :heart

Ditto–I'll never forget the podcast where he disclosed that Lynn had passed. I remember thinking, "why are you even podcasting right now???"

But then, as the weeks went on, I totally got it and understood (and appreciated) that he was working through his grief the only way he knew how.

Super relatable moment that resonated with me (as I was dealing with my own share of personal bs at the time)

Harmony

Quote from: WilliamMunny on July 25, 2023, 05:07:16 PM
Quote from: Harmony on July 25, 2023, 05:00:29 PM

Ditto–I'll never forget the podcast where he disclosed that Lynn had passed. I remember thinking, "why are you even podcasting right now???"

But then, as the weeks went on, I totally got it and understood (and appreciated) that he was working through his grief the only way he knew how.

Super relatable moment that resonated with me (as I was dealing with my own share of personal bs at the time)

And it wasn't just the podcast.  I don't know if you caught it - but he'd do live IG broadcasts almost daily.  The ones the month after Lynn died were so raw.  I don't know how he did it, but like you said, he did what he does and put it out there.  I guess I never really thought about this before, but when my sister died 18 months later, I drew on some of those lessons he taught me.  He helped.  His pandemic livestreams were amazing.  The world was on fire and we got to listen to his record collection, enjoy coffee and cats with him, and heard his thoughts on life.  That guy is a mensch in every sense of the word.

I'm sorry to be squatting on this thread but do you have a favorite interview?  So many to choose from of course.

Definitely one of mine was with Mandy Patinkin.

Stadler

Quote from: cramx3 on July 25, 2023, 12:50:30 PM
Quote from: Chino on July 25, 2023, 12:41:53 PM
Unless I'm within arm's length of the door, I'd prefer people not hold doors for me. It kind of drives me a bit nuts when I'm like 50+ feet from the door and someone just stands there holding it, making me feel all rushed.

There's definitely a limit on this distance.  My problem, as I've happened to have held the door for too long in cases before, is Ill turn around to see if I need to hold it and then make eye contact with that person too far off and then I feel like I should hold it because of that contact.  But you certainly feel rushed when youre on the other end of it and I do agree with you here.

This is me to a T.   But I have no problem moving on if the person waves me off.  It's not about the door itself, it's about thinking about someone else and making that sort of connection, even if it's fleeting.   

It's like I always say: Willie...  we're really good at the big, virtue signaling gestures (which I now avoid like the plague) and we suck at the little interpersonal ones (which I now go out of my way to try to foster). 

El Barto

Quote from: Samsara on July 24, 2023, 02:50:31 PM
RANT.

People. People who are driving straight, have the right-of-way. If you turn and cut off a car, and said car beeps at you, flipping the driver off of the car that you cut off is not smart. How about just putting your hand up, and when he pulls along side, saying "my bad, I'm sorry," instead of telling the guy who did nothing wrong to "fuck off."

Unreal this past weekend. This happened twice, and is happening a lot more now. People have no regard for anything. This last incident, I was driving and some dude, just made an abrupt left hand turn and almost hit me. I beeped. He flipped me off. We both turn right and are at a light, with me going left, him going right, he starts cursing at me. I roll down my window and say "buddy, you cut me off when I was driving straight." He tells me to go fuck myself. Unreal. And that was the second time over the weekend.

That's two examples of a recurring problem. People have absolutely no regard for others on the roadways. No signals, no patience, no nothing. WTF has happened since the pandemic, man? I just don't get people any longer. And forgive me, those of you in your 20s and 30s, but it seems heavily skewed to that age bracket, at least the many incidents I have seen or been a part of, and based nothing on my subjective take on the peoples' ages.

But Christ, when you fuck up, just put up a hand, and mouth "sorry, my bad." It diffuses shit, and you come off as sincere instead of like an entitled asshat.

/rant
I had a guy (yes, in a truck) flip me off yesterday because I wouldn't run a red light for his convenience. The light in front of us had turned yellow, and while 95/100 times I step on it, the car in front of me was lazily turning right. I had to slow down dramatically, and then I'd have had to stomp on it just as the light was turning red. Hell, I'd do that 50/50 times, but didn't there. Guy flipped me off because he had to wait for the light to change to make his right.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on July 26, 2023, 05:15:21 AM
Quote from: cramx3 on July 25, 2023, 12:50:30 PM
Quote from: Chino on July 25, 2023, 12:41:53 PM
Unless I'm within arm's length of the door, I'd prefer people not hold doors for me. It kind of drives me a bit nuts when I'm like 50+ feet from the door and someone just stands there holding it, making me feel all rushed.

There's definitely a limit on this distance.  My problem, as I've happened to have held the door for too long in cases before, is Ill turn around to see if I need to hold it and then make eye contact with that person too far off and then I feel like I should hold it because of that contact.  But you certainly feel rushed when youre on the other end of it and I do agree with you here.

This is me to a T.   But I have no problem moving on if the person waves me off.  It's not about the door itself, it's about thinking about someone else and making that sort of connection, even if it's fleeting.   

It's like I always say: Willie...  we're really good at the big, virtue signaling gestures (which I now avoid like the plague) and we suck at the little interpersonal ones (which I now go out of my way to try to foster).
Texans have been holding doors for one another for long enough that we've got a pretty good grasp of the rules. Not generally a problem down here.

cramx3

Quote from: El Barto on July 26, 2023, 12:57:18 PM
RANT.

People. People who are driving straight, have the right-of-way. If you turn and cut off a car, and said car beeps at you, flipping the driver off of the car that you cut off is not smart. How about just putting your hand up, and when he pulls along side, saying "my bad, I'm sorry," instead of telling the guy who did nothing wrong to "fuck off."

Unreal this past weekend. This happened twice, and is happening a lot more now. People have no regard for anything. This last incident, I was driving and some dude, just made an abrupt left hand turn and almost hit me. I beeped. He flipped me off. We both turn right and are at a light, with me going left, him going right, he starts cursing at me. I roll down my window and say "buddy, you cut me off when I was driving straight." He tells me to go fuck myself. Unreal. And that was the second time over the weekend.

That's two examples of a recurring problem. People have absolutely no regard for others on the roadways. No signals, no patience, no nothing. WTF has happened since the pandemic, man? I just don't get people any longer. And forgive me, those of you in your 20s and 30s, but it seems heavily skewed to that age bracket, at least the many incidents I have seen or been a part of, and based nothing on my subjective take on the peoples' ages.

But Christ, when you fuck up, just put up a hand, and mouth "sorry, my bad." It diffuses shit, and you come off as sincere instead of like an entitled asshat.

/rant
I had a guy (yes, in a truck) flip me off yesterday because I wouldn't run a red light for his convenience. The light in front of us had turned yellow, and while 95/100 times I step on it, the car in front of me was lazily turning right. I had to slow down dramatically, and then I'd have had to stomp on it just as the light was turning red. Hell, I'd do that 50/50 times, but didn't there. Guy flipped me off because he had to wait for the light to change to make his right.

YOUR FAULT!

I actually caught myself yesterday in a situation where I was pretty mad, but maybe not so rightfully so.  Driving through a rest stop and while I was turning right, there was no stop sign, so I didn't stop and the person coming the other way I guess had to hit their breaks and honked at me which gave me an angry reaction, but that person probably had some right as I was the one turning, but I didn't have a stop sign and because a truck was blocking my view, I didn't see that person until they hit their horn.  I probably should have just waved it off and took responsibility on that one.  Instead the lady continued to tailgate me until i took my foot off the gas, looked at her in my mirror and said "relax" with an angry face (no idea if she could read my lips) but she backed off and hopefully put more thought into the situation like I did.

El Barto

Quote from: cramx3 on July 26, 2023, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: El Barto on July 26, 2023, 12:57:18 PM
RANT.

/rant

YOUR FAULT!

I actually caught myself yesterday in a situation where I was pretty mad, but maybe not so rightfully so.  Driving through a rest stop and while I was turning right, there was no stop sign, so I didn't stop and the person coming the other way I guess had to hit their breaks and honked at me which gave me an angry reaction, but that person probably had some right as I was the one turning, but I didn't have a stop sign and because a truck was blocking my view, I didn't see that person until they hit their horn.  I probably should have just waved it off and took responsibility on that one.  Instead the lady continued to tailgate me until i took my foot off the gas, looked at her in my mirror and said "relax" with an angry face (no idea if she could read my lips) but she backed off and hopefully put more thought into the situation like I did.
Something I've learned is that a whole lot of people who get all road-raged up aren't really thinking at all about the circumstances. I think it's largely instinctive for people (and I'm one) to become particularly frustrated when people don't do what they would do. Most of the people who'd flip you off for something like I did would likely think very differently after a minute and reconsideration. When I get all pissed off at other drivers I usually try to put myself in their shoes and I almost always decide that my absolute seething hatred of them is probably a little be unwarranted.  :lol

Jamesman42

I hate when people turn in front of you when you're obviously driving a faster speed than they should have turned into. So now you have to hit the brakes a bit while they get themselves situated. I always sigh and say "justify your turn, fucking fuck!" and then just try to let it roll off my shoulders.
\o\ lol /o/

Snow Dog

Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 26, 2023, 05:38:47 PM
I hate when people turn in front of you when you're obviously driving a faster speed than they should have turned into. So now you have to hit the brakes a bit while they get themselves situated. I always sigh and say "justify your turn, fucking fuck!" and then just try to let it roll off my shoulders.

Whenever I mistakenly do this (and we all do) and realize it, I hit the gas hard for two reasons - I don't want to get ass ended, and I hate it when someone does it to me and takes their sweet effing time getting back up to speed. Drives me bonkers. Bonus points if it's a right turn, there's literally no one else driving behind you for 1/4 mile, and all they had to do was wait 2-3 more seconds to let you pass before pulling out.

Jamesman42

You're not wrong, we all make mistakes. Your last sentence is what I was really referencing for the most part.
\o\ lol /o/

Stadler

Quote from: Snow Dog on July 27, 2023, 06:00:28 PM
Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 26, 2023, 05:38:47 PM

Whenever I mistakenly do this (and we all do) and realize it, I hit the gas hard for two reasons - I don't want to get ass ended, and I hate it when someone does it to me and takes their sweet effing time getting back up to speed. Drives me bonkers. Bonus points if it's a right turn, there's literally no one else driving behind you for 1/4 mile, and all they had to do was wait 2-3 more seconds to let you pass before pulling out.

I'm patient as you get up to speed, but I live in a town of Subaru's and more often than not the person pulling out is NOT getting up to speed, but pulls out and goes their own merry way.  It takes every fibre of my being to not pull right up and ride the bumper until they decide they've reached their destination.

orcus116

I love when people do that maybe go what they think the speed limit is but after passing 2-3 speed limit signs showing 10-15 mph faster than what they're going they still don't speed up. They're either doing it on purpose or aren't aware enough to notice the increasingly frustrated convoy that has built up directly behind them.

TAC

This lady and her dog can fuck right off.

I took this picture at a light. Dogs do not belong in the front seat. If your dog can't drive, it shouldn't be behind the wheel. When I'm in charge, my Auto Safety Policy will definitely include a No Dogs In The Front Seat clause.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Ben_Jamin

King Postwhore

The dog sensed a bad person who doesn't return carriages to the cart return.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

pg1067

Quote from: TAC on August 01, 2023, 04:24:27 PM

[pic]

I took this picture at a light. Dogs do not belong in the front seat. If your dog can't drive, it shouldn't be behind the wheel. When I'm in charge, my Auto Safety Policy will definitely include a No Dogs In The Front Seat clause.

Not so much the dog, but I'm right there with you.  Fucking just leave your dog at home.

TAC

Quote from: pg1067 on August 01, 2023, 04:47:57 PM

[pic]

Not so much the dog, but I'm right there with you.  Fucking just leave your dog at home.

Oh you know it. We went to Lowe's a few weeks ago, and one dog puked in the outdoor garden area, and another dog pissed on a tree in the parking lot. WTF? What if I pissed on a tree in the parking lot?

Ben_Jamin

[pic]

Depends on the type of place you reside. In an urban city, I could agree with you. In a Rural town with a lot of area for the dog to freely roam, I disagree with you. There are also interesting terms we have in regards where I reside. Rez Dogs are able to roam on the rez. It's very fascinating that even Dogs are now being discussed in terms of how they should live.  :lol :lol

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: TAC on August 01, 2023, 04:56:58 PM

[pic]

Oh you know it. We went to Lowe's a few weeks ago, and one dog puked in the outdoor garden area, and another dog pissed on a tree in the parking lot. WTF? What if I pissed on a tree in the parking lot?

I thought only service dogs were allowed in places like Lowe's? and also, it's a fucking tree, and dogs need to pee too. SO, you would just pee on yourself rather than relieving yourself from a natural instinct?  :lol

But I also do understand how some people are with their pets. Dogs are very interesting since we humans have supposedly domesticated them.

It just reminds me of this...

Reverend Lovejoy walks his dog

Adami

I see no evidence that the dog isn't driving.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

TAC

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on August 01, 2023, 04:59:01 PM

[pic]

Depends on the type of place you reside. In an urban city, I could agree with you. In a Rural town with a lot of area for the dog to freely roam, I disagree with you. There are also interesting terms we have in regards where I reside. Rez Dogs are able to roam on the rez. It's very fascinating that even Dogs are now being discussed in terms of how they should live.  :lol :lol

I have no problem with the bolded. But dogs don't belong on stores and on people's laps while they're driving. People put dogs in the carriages at the grocery store. WTF? People put their kids and their food in there.

TAC

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on August 01, 2023, 05:03:12 PM
Quote from: TAC on August 01, 2023, 04:56:58 PM

I thought only service dogs were allowed in places like Lowe's? and also, it's a fucking tree, and dogs need to pee too. SO, you would just pee on yourself rather than relieving yourself from a natural instinct?  :lol

I just can't whip it out and relieve myself in the parking lot at Lowes. And Service Dogs ....this takes me to a larger gripe, but everyone wants their fucking fido with them wherever they go. A service animal, or even a prescribed comfort dog should have an orange vest on with a visible license.
Business owners are afraid to confront anyone with a dog because they'll probably end up on someone's tiktiok feed as discriminating against people that need comfort animals and how they don't understand mental health.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: TAC on August 01, 2023, 05:04:07 PM
Quote from: Ben_Jamin on August 01, 2023, 04:59:01 PM

[pic]

I have no problem with the bolded. But dogs don't belong on stores and on people's laps while they're driving. People put dogs in the carriages at the grocery store. WTF? People put their kids and their food in there.

That's why the stores should be implementing their own standards of not allowing dogs, especially in grocery stores. But yet, have you seen what kids have done to those carts as well... :lol

TAC

When I was growing up, it was always posted at the store that there were No Dogs Allowed. But owners, and especially managers are very weary of enforcing anything like that now.

Ben_Jamin

I've been noticing that a lot more too.

Especially the people with dogs in their laps.

More so for me, it's about how people are treating dogs, especially lap dogs, treating them as if they're children.  :biggrin:

wolfking

Great read this.  :lol

I agree, just leave the fucking dog at home.  We have people try and bring dogs in at the aquatic centres and definitely don't allow it.  Like, WTF? We can't say no to service dogs but as Tim said, they have an orange vest and shit.  I'm still not convinced that some of the people that have those need them, but I better not go there.

The other thing is we have people in summer bring their dogs leave them in the hot as fuck car and come for a swim!  I always find who it is and kick their ass out. 

The other week I saw three different fucking people with dogs in the trolley at the hardware store.  3 different people in the one visit.  I was there 10 minutes.  One woman had the dogs bed and blanket and shit set up in the trolley, fuck off.

wolfking

The other thing with this picture, is the complete fucking lack of care people have for their animals.  This woman thinks she loves the dog taking it with her and having it on her lap and shit, but what if she gets in a head on collision, that mutt is the first thing flying out the fucking window.

TAC

Quote from: wolfking on August 01, 2023, 06:45:47 PM
but what if she gets in a head on collision, that mutt is the first thing flying out the fucking window.

I thought the same thing while I was sitting there. And the thing is, while that dog is flying through the air, some guy would probably kill a kid trying to avoid it.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on August 01, 2023, 06:59:47 PM
Quote from: wolfking on August 01, 2023, 06:45:47 PM
but what if she gets in a head on collision, that mutt is the first thing flying out the fucking window.

I thought the same thing while I was sitting there. And the thing is, while that dog is flying through the air, some guy would probably kill a kid trying to avoid it.

That's a great bloody point.  Or get into a head on himself and injure some other innocent person.

wolfking

It's pretty funny though how the dog is looking straight at you.  Like he knows he's pissing you off.  :lol

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: wolfking on August 01, 2023, 09:00:59 PM
It's pretty funny though how the dog is looking straight at you.  Like he knows he's pissing you off.  :lol

He's even sticking his tongue out at him... :biggrin: