News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHoveringSojourn808

i like the new avatar but i feel like he'd be better served with a KISS related avatar given he loves KISS

Stadler

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 03, 2024, 10:38:04 AM
i like the new avatar but i feel like he'd be better served with a KISS related avatar given he loves KISS

I used to have one.  Great picture of Gene backstage.  I just use the Alex Lifeson one because people know it, and because I've heard, in the past, that I look passingly like Alex Lifeson.

pg1067

Bill, for the longest time, I assumed you looked like Trevor Horn (or Bill Belicheck).

Adami

Having had the pleasure of meeting Bill, I can say that he is a damn near perfect blend of a young John Stamos and and an older Ossie Davis.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

TAC

I was thinking Fabio and Ann B Davis.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Stadler

Quote from: TAC on July 03, 2024, 02:01:42 PM
I was thinking Fabio and Ann B Davis.

I can only imagine what parts of each...

TAC

People that take pictures of themselves in a mirror and you can see their camera phone in their hand.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

Bugger.  And I was about to upload a physique update bathroom shot just in my underwear.  :tdwn

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

wolfking

TAC

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Cool Chris

Quote from: TAC on July 05, 2024, 03:34:45 PM
People that take pictures of themselves in a mirror and you can see their camera phone in their hand.

Made worse by the fact that they are looking AT THE PHONE.

cramx3

:lol I don't know why, but this bothers me too even more so when the face in the picture is looking at the camera, not the mirror.

TAC

So...I saw this headline today..

https://bravewords.com/news/watch-stephen-pearcy-perform-entire-show-of-ratt-classics-in-sacremento-fan-filmed-video

..I'm thinking.,how long was this show? About 15 minutes? Ratt CLASSICS?? :lol

It would've made more sense if they just said he played a bunch of old Ratt songs.

hunnus2000

Can someone please tell me who the genius was that thought it was a good idea to round out the TV remotes? Our fan remotes are egg shaped oval and the DIRECTV remote is flat with a rounded-out bottom and both slip out of my hands and launch across the room.  >:(

What's wrong with a good old-fashioned rectangle?   ???

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on July 07, 2024, 12:14:42 PM
So...I saw this headline today..

https://bravewords.com/news/watch-stephen-pearcy-perform-entire-show-of-ratt-classics-in-sacremento-fan-filmed-video

..I'm thinking.,how long was this show? About 15 minutes? Ratt CLASSICS?? :lol

It would've made more sense if they just said he played a bunch of old Ratt songs.

Did they just play Round and Round 15 times?

ReaperKK

Quote from: hunnus2000 on July 07, 2024, 02:40:57 PM
Can someone please tell me who the genius was that thought it was a good idea to round out the TV remotes? Our fan remotes are egg shaped oval and the DIRECTV remote is flat with a rounded-out bottom and both slip out of my hands and launch across the room.  >:(

What's wrong with a good old-fashioned rectangle?   ???

Or incredibly small controllers. I got a new tv last year and the remote is so damn small I'm constantly losing it.

Cool Chris

Quote from: hunnus2000 on July 07, 2024, 02:40:57 PM

I hear ya, but what are you doing with remotes such that they fly across the room?

Stadler

I'm with you 100% on this one.   

cramx3

Quote from: Cool Chris on July 07, 2024, 07:06:01 PM
I hear ya, but what are you doing with remotes such that they fly across the room?

I made my remote fly across the room just yesterday, lost my bed blanket and not realizing it, I flipped the blanket to get into bed and since that remote is so small and light with no idea it was in there, and it flew across the room throwing the batteries out as well  :lol

hunnus2000

Quote from: cramx3 on July 08, 2024, 08:34:09 AM
I made my remote fly across the room just yesterday, lost my bed blanket and not realizing it, I flipped the blanket to get into bed and since that remote is so small and light with no idea it was in there, and it flew across the room throwing the batteries out as well  :lol

Cool C. this. ^^^^^^^^

Also, the Direct TV remote is the same way but the numbers are at the bottom and I think it would make more sense to put them on top and the other features on the bottom. It's contoured as a rounded shape and I often have to use 2 hands so it doesn't slip out. Unintelligent design....

Stadler

Man.. I have three remotes that are in play:  a Samsung TV remote (small, like some are describing here) a Denon A/V receiver remote and a Cock Cable remote. 

The latter two I could bludgeon a seal with.  They are not "flying around the room" without some effort.

pg1067

Quote from: Stadler on July 08, 2024, 10:31:08 AM
a Cock Cable remote. 

Errrmmm...what?   :lol

I have a little egg-shaped remote for the living room TV.  I had bought a "universal remote" for the bedroom, but it didn't work for the TV or the cable box, so I now have two remotes for the DVD player.  No cable anymore, though, but those remotes were behemoths.

Stadler

Quote from: pg1067 on July 08, 2024, 10:36:38 AM
Errrmmm...what?   :lol

I have a little egg-shaped remote for the living room TV.  I had bought a "universal remote" for the bedroom, but it didn't work for the TV or the cable box, so I now have two remotes for the DVD player.  No cable anymore, though, but those remotes were behemoths.

I have Cox for my cable provider and that's my little 12-year-old boy joke.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Stadler on July 08, 2024, 10:47:04 AM
I have Cox for my cable provider and that's my little 12-year-old boy joke.

You may think this is what it is... but for the rest of us IT'S AN IMAGE NONE OF US WILL GET OUT OF OUR MINDS FOR A FEW DAYS NOW!!!!

Bell receiver remote that does the basic TV functions gets the most use.  LG remote for the other stuff on the TV.  Apple TV remote when using that (cuz the wifi on my TV conks out every so often).
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

faizoff

All the new cars these days have these bright blinding LED lights, the Subaru I bought last year has them as well. My car has self dimming rear view mirrors so I don't have to deal with it when these new cars are behind me. But man are they annoyingly bright and have no way to lower the brightness.

hunnus2000

Arthritic knees. Lately I have balance issues and pain in my right knee. I found out today that I need knee replacement surgery (bone on bone). We can try shots but that's only temporary and it is not a fix. He drained the knee, which does help and I will give it time but if I am feeling the same way in a couple of weeks, I'm scheduling the procedure.

Deep sigh.....

ReaperKK

Damn man that sucks, how long is recovery time?

cramx3

Quote from: hunnus2000 on July 08, 2024, 12:47:32 PM
Arthritic knees. Lately I have balance issues and pain in my right knee. I found out today that I need knee replacement surgery (bone on bone). We can try shots but that's only temporary and it is not a fix. He drained the knee, which does help and I will give it time but if I am feeling the same way in a couple of weeks, I'm scheduling the procedure.

Deep sigh.....

Sucks, but the good thing is knee replacement surgeries are quite amazing these days.  Both my mother and my gf's mother had them within the last year and both our parents recovered quite quickly and my mom constantly talked about how little pain she had during the whole process.  Your situation might be worse, what do I know, but I think these procedures generally have come a long way.

Stadler

My dad had both knees done (one twice) and both hips (for those that don't know, he suffered from acute rheumatoid arthritis from the age of about 35).  And while he was never pain free, he was in a LOT less pain and discomfort after each of his surgeries.

TAC

My brother in law had his knees done, and he's doing great.

Snow Dog

Sorry to hear, hunnus.  Hopefully it doesn't come to the surgery, but if it does, like others have said, the majority of knee replacements turn out very well and patients often eventually say it's the best thing they've ever done.  I've been a physical therapist for the past 15-16 years and have treated many of these patients during that time. As long as you do what you're supposed to and your surgeon isn't a hack, you'll be just fine.

Some advice/observations to help manage expectations for now:

If the injections you mentioned help to put off the procedure, great.  Put it off as long as you're able to as long as you can function.  Ideally you do don't want to have to go through another surgery later in life due to component wear.  But there's also the flip side that you don't want to put it off for TOO long where you can't do anything in your daily life because it hurts too much. Timing will be between you and your doctor, but you'll generally know when the time is right.

Do NOT expect to be pain free after the procedure.  You'd be surprised how many people expect to feel like absolutely new right after surgery and not hurt at all.  While this does happen on rare occasions, the first 1-3 weeks post procedure tend to suck the most, and then gradually get better after that for most patients.  And the big focus will be on range of motion and getting it moving again.  This can also suck, but needs to happen so the knee doesn't get stiff with excessive scar tissue.

Follow instructions from your surgeon and PT.  Take pain medication as needed as it's easier to stay ahead of the pain.  Therapy generally goes on for 6-12 weeks depending on progress and function.  And once your PT discharges you, you need to keep at the exercises they gave you for the long term.  Full recovery after something like this doesn't come until about 6-12 months, usually on the longer end of that.  It'll largely be up to you how much recovery you make and how quickly.

Good luck, and hopefully things go smoothly and as pain free as possible for you, whatever way they go.

wolfking

Quote from: hunnus2000 on July 08, 2024, 12:47:32 PM

Deep sigh.....

Shit man, sucks.  Go for it and get it done I reckon.

TAC

I don't know what term we should use, but man, I hate the term "Influencer".