Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Barto and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

pg1067

Quote from: Chino on January 22, 2024, 05:39:44 AM
Quote from: emtee on January 22, 2024, 05:30:45 AM
Had a craving for a donut on Sunday so I stopped into a nationally recognizable chain. Walked toward the counter and whipped out my wallet. "Sorry sir, we don't take cash and you have to order from the kiosk."

For better or worse, this is what we are becoming on a grand scale. Cashless kiosk people. I don't like it but there's no stopping the train. Adapt or get left behind.

I go back and forth on the cashless thing. Less than 1% of my purchases annually are done in cash, but I still like the idea of it. I refuse to be a kiosk person though. I don't care how badly it fucks up the drive-through flow when I go to Dunkin'. I don't care how many kiosks are surrounding me. I'm saying "good morning" to someone at a counter, or I'm not getting anything from there.

I don't really care about the cashless things.  I always have plastic with me, but I rarely have more than $10 cash.  My bigger problem is when I occasionally enounter a cash-only business.  There is a Mexican place near my house that everyone likes, and it's cash-only, and I sometimes forget that, so I have to use the ATM in the restaurant, which adds $5-6 to the cost of the food.

The kiosk thing, on the other hand, I fucking love.  I'm not sure it makes all that much sense at a donut store, but it's great at a fast food place because everyone in my family has a special order, and I never feel like I can trust the person behind the counter to get it right.  I couldn't care less about personal interaction with those people anyway.  Same goes for grocery store/Target cashiers.  The only time I go to an actual cashier is if I'm buying booze (rare) or the self-checkout line is really long and there's 0-1 people in the regular line.

Quote from: lordxizor on January 22, 2024, 07:51:43 AM
I am personally of the opinion that any store/business that has a human being in it should be required to accept cash. I'll let that go for vending machines or other automated things. Call me crazy, but we should be able to use the legal tender of a country to pay for goods and services.

Putting what I wrote above aside, I tend to agree with this.  I actually thought it was the law until only a few months ago when I looked it up.

Quote from: cramx3 on January 22, 2024, 07:32:07 AM
Having said that, I'm starting to become an app guy.  Ordering from the app isn't so much that it's easier, it's that there's usually deals to be had to make me want to use an app for these chain restaurants.

Agree on this as well.  McDonald's usually has a free or $1 fries thing and a $1 any size drink thing, so I can often get a McDouble, fries and a drink for under $5.  However, with a lot of places, I'm concerned that I'm getting up-charged on the app.  I got an email a while back with a code for free delivery from Chipotle.  Great!  I input the order into the app.  Let's say it was $20 total.  I noticed that it was set for pickup, so I switched to delivery, and the price went up to like $26.  If we hadn't had free delivery, it would've been about $32.  Screw that.

Quote from: lordxizor on January 22, 2024, 08:50:32 AM
And CC fees should be illegal. They already account for CC usage fees in their pricing, so they're double dipping on CC users.

I hardly ever see that anymore.  The cafeteria in the building where I work does that for orders under $5.

Stadler

Quote from: pg1067 on January 22, 2024, 10:03:27 AM
Having said that, I'm starting to become an app guy.  Ordering from the app isn't so much that it's easier, it's that there's usually deals to be had to make me want to use an app for these chain restaurants.

Agree on this as well.  McDonald's usually has a free or $1 fries thing and a $1 any size drink thing, so I can often get a McDouble, fries and a drink for under $5.  However, with a lot of places, I'm concerned that I'm getting up-charged on the app.  I got an email a while back with a code for free delivery from Chipotle.  Great!  I input the order into the app.  Let's say it was $20 total.  I noticed that it was set for pickup, so I switched to delivery, and the price went up to like $26.  If we hadn't had free delivery, it would've been about $32.  Screw that.

Honestly, I'm soured on the whole deliver thing now.  I'm sure it's good for some people and some circumstances, but I more often than not just get in my car and go get the food. I can check it while I'm there so it's right and I save in some cases $20.  I think some places got (and are still) greedy with the whole delivery thing, and that's not even taking into account the charges from Door Dash (which only has sparse service where I am).

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on January 22, 2024, 12:11:30 PM
Honestly, I'm soured on the whole deliver thing now.  I'm sure it's good for some people and some circumstances, but I more often than not just get in my car and go get the food. I can check it while I'm there so it's right and I save in some cases $20. 

I've been beating this drum forever.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cramx3

The delivery is definitely going to come at a premium.

Fun experiment we did recently.  My gf has the uber eats subscription so (I dont know the exact details) for like 10 bucks a month, you don't pay any delivery fees.  I guess it makes sense if you use it a lot (my gf works from home and gets lunch delivered a bunch, and I know we will use it for lazy dinner nights).  So I don't pay for the subscription so if I used ubereats on my phone, I'm paying normal price.  I often will get 40% off coupons and its almost always the onyl time I will use the service as the discount gets it somewhat closer to a normal price (still more expensive than pick up, but not killer).  Well, we tested her subscription vs. my 40% off on the same order..... and the same order came out 2 dollars cheaper using her subscription service over my 40% off coupon.  I thought that was shocking.  Just shows how much added fees and charges are on these services.

faizoff

I've always used the Chipotle app to order my food and go pick it up. I've been very soured lately on the recent couple of orders at the place near me. Very little food, constant mixups, missing toppings, just an overall terrible experience of late. I don't think I'm doing app orders anytime soon.

Lonk

Honestly, I'm soured on the whole deliver thing now.  I'm sure it's good for some people and some circumstances, but I more often than not just get in my car and go get the food. I can check it while I'm there so it's right and I save in some cases $20.  I think some places got (and are still) greedy with the whole delivery thing, and that's not even taking into account the charges from Door Dash (which only has sparse service where I am).
Yeah, I've been ordering less and less through ordering apps (I mainly use Grubhub). There is this restaurant near me, it is about a 15 min walk one way. If I want food from there, that is 30 mins round trip just to get food, so it is easier to order. Except that I started noticing that just ordering food for me and my SO, it was starting to be a minimum of $65, after delivery fees and what not. With tip it goes up to almost $80 (or over 80 if we add more items). I also noticed that the price on the apps where a bit higher than I remembered.

So when I want food from there, I just drive directly there before parking my car (I park 2 blocks from where I live. YAY for living in NYC lol). The same meals in person come out to $38 max, because the grubhub app prices are inflated to cover the app fees  :lol The food is good, but I refuse to pay almost $80 for two take out meals.

cramx3

Quote from: faizoff on January 22, 2024, 12:33:33 PM
I've always used the Chipotle app to order my food and go pick it up. I've been very soured lately on the recent couple of orders at the place near me. Very little food, constant mixups, missing toppings, just an overall terrible experience of late. I don't think I'm doing app orders anytime soon.

I'm very iffy with using an app on chipotle or similar where they generally make the food in front of you.  If I'm going to pick it up, I'm going to order it there and watch them make it, so there will be no mistakes.  I do this with Jersey Mikes for example, and then I scan my app QR code when paying to get the points but I want to watch them make my sandwich.

Obviously if I'm getting delivery than you are giving that right away to watch.

HOF

I always get a little annoyed at the Chick-Fil-A line when they have a person taking your order several cars away from the menu board. Yes, it moves the line faster, but even though it's a simple menu I don't always remember all of the details off the top of my head. How many nuggets come in the nugget meals? What are the salads now because those change with some frequency? What is the name of that special sandwich my wife likes that is limited time only? How much does anything cost?

I really should just use the app. My wife does sometimes and then I can just go inside and pick it up. Usually when I can order something online without a dedicated app I will do that.

Jamesman42

We got 4 pizzas from one of the largest chains for a birthday party last night, and it was $63! And it would've been higher if we got it delivered, which we used to always do until we saw that it costs $10 (tip included).

Unless I am high or drunk as shit, I am picking up all food from now on.
\o\ lol /o/

wolfking

Had a craving for a donut on Sunday so I stopped into a nationally recognizable chain. Walked toward the counter and whipped out my wallet. "Sorry sir, we don't take cash and you have to order from the kiosk."

For better or worse, this is what we are becoming on a grand scale. Cashless kiosk people. I don't like it but there's no stopping the train. Adapt or get left behind.

I've always been a cash guy.  I like taking the cash out of the machine weekly and spending with that.  I think people get lost in just tapping their card all the time they lose the real value of what they are spending.  Tapping your card for a $50 purchase or handing over a $50 note are two different things.  Handing the cash over IMO makes you think more about what you're buying and the necessity of it.

Saying all that, using cash is becoming more and more of a challenge and you certainly have to get on board with using card much more over cash.  To make the transition easy though for me personally, I found a bank which offered good interest on savings.  So I just moved some of money into a high interest account and to get the allocated monthly interest, I have to use the card a number of times in the month to get the high interest.  Takes the sting off changing the way I like to operate.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on January 22, 2024, 12:13:28 PM
Honestly, I'm soured on the whole deliver thing now.  I'm sure it's good for some people and some circumstances, but I more often than not just get in my car and go get the food. I can check it while I'm there so it's right and I save in some cases $20. 

I've been beating this drum forever.

It's a fucking joke.  And people wonder why they don't have money yet they will pay $20 to get shit food delivered cause they are too lazy to get off their fucking asses and drive 10 minutes down the road.

wolfking

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 22, 2024, 01:52:03 PM
We got 4 pizzas from one of the largest chains for a birthday party last night, and it was $63! And it would've been higher if we got it delivered, which we used to always do until we saw that it costs $10 (tip included).

Everything is too expensive for me these days.

Call me crazy, but I haven't gotten a single take out for at least 4 months, maybe 5 or even 6.  I just find it harder and harder to justify paying top dollar for shit food when I can make a meal from supermarket supplies for a couple of bucks.

TAC

I go back and forth on the cashless thing. Less than 1% of my purchases annually are done in cash, but I still like the idea of it. I refuse to be a kiosk person though. I don't care how badly it fucks up the drive-through flow when I go to Dunkin'. I don't care how many kiosks are surrounding me. I'm saying "good morning" to someone at a counter, or I'm not getting anything from there.

The kiosk thing, on the other hand, I fucking love.  I'm not sure it makes all that much sense at a donut store, but it's great at a fast food place because everyone in my family has a special order, and I never feel like I can trust the person behind the counter to get it right.  I couldn't care less about personal interaction with those people anyway.  Same goes for grocery store/Target cashiers.  The only time I go to an actual cashier is if I'm buying booze (rare) or the self-checkout line is really long and there's 0-1 people in the regular line.

I understand about the special orders and the less humans between you and your food might be better, but I'm with Chino on this.

Also, I don't fucking work here! I am not punching in my order, ringing myself up, or returning my cart. I'm the fucking customer! Service me!!!

Also, maybe it was because I was younger and I had my whole life in front of me, but I don't ever remember being too busy to go to the store or pick up a pizza.

With apologies to the disabled...
Are we really that busy tiktokking or watching podcasts? Or watching an entire season of a show in one day?

How is it that everything in our lives is designed to save us time, yet no one sems to have any time to fucking do anything?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Jamesman42

Quote from: wolfking on January 22, 2024, 03:18:29 PM

Call me crazy, but I haven't gotten a single take out for at least 4 months, maybe 5 or even 6.  I just find it harder and harder to justify paying top dollar for shit food when I can make a meal from supermarket supplies for a couple of bucks.

Definitely. I am trying to make it so if I am gonna eat the not so good food, it's from my kitchen or fridge. So much cheaper, and that's saying something with grocery prices right now.
\o\ lol /o/

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on January 22, 2024, 04:48:46 PM

I understand about the special orders and the less humans between you and your food might be better, but I'm with Chino on this.

Also, I don't fucking work here! I am not punching in my order, ringing myself up, or returning my cart. I'm the fucking customer! Service me!!!

Also, maybe it was because I was younger and I had my whole life in front of me, but I don't ever remember being too busy to go to the store or pick up a pizza.

With apologies to the disabled...
Are we really that busy tiktokking or watching podcasts? Or watching an entire season of a show in one day?

How is it that everything in our lives is designed to save us time, yet no one sems to have any time to fucking do anything?

Or on DTF?!  ;D

Jokes aside, I'm with you 100%, it's madness. 

Also, on the first bolded part, I read an article the other day about supermarkets and self service checkouts.  Now I love them and love doing it myself as it avoids all the awkward chit chat with the person ringing up my groceries, but the article said how they are basically making the customer 'work for free,' and taking the customer service experience away from customers by cutting wages and making them do it themselves.  It's totally true and even I have never really thought of it in that light. 

wolfking

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 22, 2024, 05:03:30 PM
Quote from: wolfking on January 22, 2024, 03:18:29 PM

Definitely. I am trying to make it so if I am gonna eat the not so good food, it's from my kitchen or fridge. So much cheaper, and that's saying something with grocery prices right now.

I eat pretty boring but it beats spending $15-$20 on a sloppy meal that half the time is fucked and half assed with corners cut every which way.  I can't remember the last time I got take out now but it was totally fucked and I was annoyed with myself I'd spend money on that piece of shit that I can easily get 3 perfect, bigger and tastier meals at home with.

When take out for 2 people is upwards of $40-50, I'm sorry, I can't justify that anymore.  If people planned their meals for a week or even a month, cut every single thing they buy out (coffee included), the savings would be massive.

Cool Chris

There are bills making their way through city and county governments requiring businesses to accept cash as payment. It's been a thing around here recently. There are restrictions, such as limiting it to purchases up to $200, for example. It's often done in the name of equity, because of course it is, citing that some people are unbanked, or underbanked. Yes those are terms.

HOF

Quote from: Cool Chris on January 22, 2024, 08:12:29 PM
There are bills making their way through city and county governments requiring businesses to accept cash as payment. It's been a thing around here recently. There are restrictions, such as limiting it to purchases up to $200, for example. It's often done in the name of equity, because of course it is, citing that some people are unbanked, or underbanked. Yes those are terms.

There are definitely a number of people who just do not have bank accounts for a variety of reasons.

I imagine one argument in favor of cashless stores (in addition to whatever convenience and cost cutting is involved) would be that it makes them less of a target for robberies since there is no cash on the premises to take.

Cool Chris

Marijuana stores have to deal in cash and are thus much more frequently targeted by burglars. It's a big problem my state, and others, is trying to rectify, but they are hampered by federal laws.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: wolfking on January 22, 2024, 03:13:14 PM
Tapping your card for a $50 purchase or handing over a $50 note are two different things. 
Yeah, one is more convenient than the other.

Otherwise, they are both the same thing.  Spending $50.00 of my money.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

emtee

Unbanked and underbanked. Wow. So many new descriptors coming into play over the last several years.

cramx3

Quote from: Cool Chris on January 22, 2024, 10:08:42 PM
Marijuana stores have to deal in cash and are thus much more frequently targeted by burglars. It's a big problem my state, and others, is trying to rectify, but they are hampered by federal laws.

It's why dispensaries usually have guards (maybe armed too).  I haven't heard stories of dispensary robberies though, but stuff like that just may not hit my news feed.

As for being "unbanked" (new term for me) I think a lot of poor people end up being victims to bank fees that make it not worth using.  Also, of course there could be dirty money if it's not going through a bank so there's always that angle too.

Lonk

Quote from: cramx3 on January 23, 2024, 07:26:03 AM

It's why dispensaries usually have guards (maybe armed too).  I haven't heard stories of dispensary robberies though, but stuff like that just may not hit my news feed.

As for being "unbanked" (new term for me) I think a lot of poor people end up being victims to bank fees that make it not worth using.  Also, of course there could be dirty money if it's not going through a bank so there's always that angle too.
I worked with a few people who refused to used banks, and the common reason was "I don't trust banks with my money". At one point, my place of work switched to all electronic payroll/direct deposit, and those who did not have a bank account were given a prepaid card where the money would be deposited.

At the end of the day, people are using money less frequently, and it is only a matter of time until all money transactions become cashless/electronic (at least in the US). I would say 3 decades, maybe 4.

cramx3

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 23, 2024, 07:32:19 AM

I worked with a few people who refused to used banks, and the common reason was "I don't trust banks with my money". At one point, my place of work switched to all electronic payroll/direct deposit, and those who did not have a bank account were given a prepaid card where the money would be deposited.

At the end of the day, people are using money less frequently, and it is only a matter of time until all money transactions become cashless/electronic (at least in the US). I would say 3 decades, maybe 4.

I only know of one person who says "I don't trust the banks" and its someone I know who is a criminal and has dirty money. That's his excuse and we all know it's BS.

Banks are insured by the government, so there's no reason to not trust the banks.

TAC

I find it hard to believe that stories having to do with dispensaries don't hit your news feed.  :lol

Zydar

People who don't use their turn signals... I've come across this phenomenon three times today as I was walking to and from work. Please use them, so I can plan when to cross the street.

Evermind

Quote from: Zydar on January 23, 2024, 08:41:39 AM
People who don't use their turn signals... I've come across this phenomenon three times today as I was walking to and from work. Please use them, so I can plan when to cross the street.

If I could like this post, I would. This is absolutely something that I find exasperating, maybe even more than a tad.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

hefdaddy42

Boy, no kidding.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

pg1067

A thousand times yes.  It makes it harder to be a pedestrian.  Also, if I'm coming to a stop sign around the same time as someone else, it's important that we know what each other is going to do.  No signal means you're going straight.  But I can't tell you how many times I encounter some clown who can't handle the herculean task of flicking that little stick coming out of the steering column (and 8 times out of 10, it's someone in a BMW or a Tesla).   >:(

cramx3

Ha! Had a good one this morning, I'm behind a van and a right lane forms for people turning right at the upcoming light so I move over to the right, the van in front of me doesn't have a blinker on but is slightly eding towards the lane so I leave off the gas thinking the van wants to get in the lane.  The van doesn't move over after a second, nor turn the blinker on, so I hit the gas to get moving and of course that is when the van, wiht no blinker, attempts to change lanes right into me.  What an asshole. I honked and they moved back over before hitting me and got behind me.

Lonk

Quote from: pg1067 on January 23, 2024, 09:05:27 AM
A thousand times yes.  It makes it harder to be a pedestrian.  Also, if I'm coming to a stop sign around the same time as someone else, it's important that we know what each other is going to do.  No signal means you're going straight.  But I can't tell you how many times I encounter some clown who can't handle the herculean task of flicking that little stick coming out of the steering column (and 8 times out of 10, it's someone in a BMW or a Tesla).   >:(
My SO and I have a game we play when driving. How many Teslas, BMWs or Honda Civics break a traffic law. We also do this with colors (I'm a firm believer that white car drivers are the worse. Sorry to all those who drive white cars).

cramx3

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 23, 2024, 09:46:51 AM
My SO and I have a game we play when driving. How many Teslas, BMWs or Honda Civics break a traffic law. We also do this with colors (I'm a firm believer that white car drivers are the worse. Sorry to all those who drive white cars).

As a civic driver, I break lots of traffic laws and accept responsibility  :lol

Honestly, I don't find the teslas to be problematic drivers usually other than not moving over from the left lane. 

BMW is probably the worse offenders.

King Postwhore

My wife makes fun of me for putting my directional pulling into our driveway.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Lonk

Quote from: cramx3 on January 23, 2024, 09:58:05 AM

As a civic driver, I break lots of traffic laws and accept responsibility  :lol

Honestly, I don't find the teslas to be problematic drivers usually other than not moving over from the left lane. 

BMW is probably the worse offenders.
The thing is that in this area, all the young kids who think they are NASCAR drivers have a civic  :lol

HOF

Heh, I drive a white car, but I promise I'm meticulous about using my turn signal. Maybe it's different in different parts of the country, but I'd say something like 70% of cars here in the south are white.