News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – FINAL RESULTS

Started by ariich, September 24, 2021, 03:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on November 03, 2021, 10:39:10 AM
Quote from: ariich on November 02, 2021, 03:21:47 PM
Round 6 first impressions

Seems like a nice mix of influences here.
These songs are cool in slightly different ways.
Sounded intriguing and kind of bleak, not sure what to think yet.
Incredibly similar sound to another band I quite like, if a little more serious.

Ah you went the wrong way. But seeing as that only leaves two left anyway, I'll give you your answer. :lol

Quote from: TAC on November 03, 2021, 10:44:11 AM
OK, I'm going with Epic As Hell!!!
Nope, try one more...

Quote from: Stadler on November 03, 2021, 12:31:49 PM
Mine is one of these two:

These songs are cool in slightly different ways.
Yep!

------------------------------------------------

Quote from: jingle.boy on November 03, 2021, 10:49:16 AM
I'm guessing power ballads aren't your thing.
Not sure that's correct. But maybe it depends on the style? Ruslan's Scorpions submission was all along a sort of power ballad line, and that worked great, and for plenty of bands some of their slower or power ballad type songs are among my favourites.

QuoteAnd I knew from the outset that Wildside was going to be too rudimentary and not metal enough.
Wild Side is one of the "very enjoyable" ones. :lol

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

ariich

New page!

Epic as hell.
This was a lot of fun. [lonestar – Gacharic Spin]
Not sure what all the fuss is about. [romdrums – Winger]
These songs are cool in slightly different ways. [Stadler – Paul McCartney/Wings]
I like weird music, but I suspect this will be too weird. [Cyril – The Paper Chase]
Really cool mix of groove and a bit of experimentation. [Elite – Vulfpeck]
Some of this was gorgeous, some was quite surprising. [Sacul – Sufjan Stevens]
Grand and immersive, might be your best of this roulette.
A couple of very enjoyable tunes, but the rest did little for me. [jingle – Mötley Crüe]
Moody and emotive - I definitely like it, but do I like it enough? [Evermind – Antimatter]
Sounded intriguing and kind of bleak, not sure what to think yet. [Buddy – Greet Death]
The music was pretty good, and the vocals added a nice warmth. [HOF – Kip Winger]
Making good use of being able to send music from this millennium.
A little middle of the road probably, but salvaged by one great tune. [king – Paul Simon]
The style isn't anything special really, but the execution is really nice. [Kwyjibo – All About Eve]
This was excellent - quirky, intense and with some great riffs and hooks.
Incredibly similar sound to another band I quite like, if a little more serious.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

Evermind

QuoteGrand and immersive, might be your best of this roulette.
This was excellent - quirky, intense and with some great riffs and hooks.

If either of these is Nekov's I guess I'm screwed then :lol
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

ariich

Can I just say that, perhaps unsurprisingly given how open it is, this is shaping up to be a hell of a round.

wolfking

TAC

Making good use of being able to send music from this millennium.??
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on November 03, 2021, 02:41:18 PM
Making good use of being able to send music from this millennium.??

This was my other option.

ariich

I'll put everyone out of their misery. :lol

Epic as hell. [wolfking – Stortregn]
This was a lot of fun. [lonestar – Gacharic Spin]
Not sure what all the fuss is about. [romdrums – Winger]
Seems like a nice mix of influences here. [Nekov – Iluvatar]
These songs are cool in slightly different ways. [Stadler – Paul McCartney/Wings]
I like weird music, but I suspect this will be too weird. [Cyril – The Paper Chase]
Really cool mix of groove and a bit of experimentation. [Elite – Vulfpeck]
Some of this was gorgeous, some was quite surprising. [Sacul – Sufjan Stevens]
Grand and immersive, might be your best of this roulette. [Puppies – Drudkh]
A couple of very enjoyable tunes, but the rest did little for me. [jingle – Mötley Crüe]
Moody and emotive - I definitely like it, but do I like it enough? [Evermind – Antimatter]
Sounded intriguing and kind of bleak, not sure what to think yet. [Buddy – Greet Death]
The music was pretty good, and the vocals added a nice warmth. [HOF – Kip Winger]
Making good use of being able to send music from this millennium. [TAC – Burial In The Sky]
A little middle of the road probably, but salvaged by one great tune. [king – Paul Simon]
The style isn't anything special really, but the execution is really nice. [Kwyjibo – All About Eve]
This was excellent - quirky, intense and with some great riffs and hooks. [Ruba – Animal Alpha]
Incredibly similar sound to another band I quite like, if a little more serious. [Luke – Propagandhi]

Evermind

Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

wolfking

ariich

Quote from: Evermind on November 03, 2021, 03:03:25 PM
So do you like it enough? :)
Don't know yet. I've only just started on third listens which is when I make a first attempt at a rating for each submission.

I'm hoping to still manage to get final results done by Friday despite the delayed start from my weekend away!

jingle.boy

Quote from: ariich on November 03, 2021, 01:45:56 PM
QuoteAnd I knew from the outset that Wildside was going to be too rudimentary and not metal enough.

Well suck me sideways!
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Evermind

Quote from: ariich on November 03, 2021, 03:14:40 PM
Don't know yet. I've only just started on third listens which is when I make a first attempt at a rating for each submission.

I'm hoping to still manage to get final results done by Friday despite the delayed stay from my weekend away!

I'm not out of my misery then!

ariich

Quote from: jingle.boy on November 03, 2021, 03:17:16 PM
Quote from: ariich on November 03, 2021, 01:45:56 PM

Well suck me sideways!
That sounds like it would be uncomfortable for both of us.

Quote from: Evermind on November 03, 2021, 03:17:34 PM
Quote from: ariich on November 03, 2021, 03:14:40 PM

I'm hoping to still manage to get final results done by Friday despite the delayed stay from my weekend away!

I'm not out of my misery then!
:lol Apologies, yes I just meant the people who were trying to guess their first impressions.

Buddyhunter1

Hopefully you now know what to think and what you think is that it's good! :lol
And I don't think Bow is too bleak.

King Postwhore

I'm curious which on of the Simon songs was the great tune.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Crow

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

Nekov

Sacul

Quote from: Evermind on April 17, 2016, 02:11:10 PM"Zantera / Sacul music"
Quote from: home on December 09, 2017, 07:38:24 AMI want your D if it's still up for grabs

Fancy a print? Need pics for your next album's artwork? Send me a PM!

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Crow

Buddyhunter1

Elite

well, just wait a minute. I'm only 1.5 points behind and not ready to concede!
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Evermind

Elite

Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Nekov

wolfking

Quote from: Elite on November 04, 2021, 01:03:24 AM
well, just wait a minute. I'm only 1.5 points behind and not ready to concede!

Man, that's not how it is.

Stadler

I'm getting the faint whiff of upset over here.   Like cow dung on the morning breeze...

(Anyone want to explain that meme/gif/whatever the kids are calling them nowadays?)

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

ariich

Evening all.

No comparisons this round as I never do them for the final round, for obvious reasons.

I've made a start on write-ups. I might post results in batches, based on final rankings, in which case I'll probably get the first batch up tonight!

Crow

damn i'm starving and could really use that red caret for dinner

ariich

ROUND 6 RESULTS, ranks 18-14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
king – Paul Simon
1. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
2. Kodachrome
3. Late in the Evening
4. You Can Call Me Al
5. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
6. Slip Slidin' Away

First impression: A little middle of the road probably, but salvaged by one great tune.

Final opinion: Alright let's start with the good stuff. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover is such a great song. Like quite a few 70s-90s pop songs, I was previously familiar with the King's Singers a cappella arrangement. But whereas often their arrangements are gorgeous and even better than the originals, this time the original is far superior. The verses are just really lush and melancholy, and the chorus is so cool and groovy. The rest of the songs are generally fine, nothing wrong with them but nothing particularly interesting to me either. A couple are fairly cutesy, and I might have enjoyed them more, but I don't think his voice is interesting enough to really make it work.

Round score: 7.9

Ah Joe, what a shame after such a strong start in round 1! But round 2 was a misfire from which you never managed to recover. Still though, I really appreciate how you wanted to keep sending me stuff you listened to in your younger years, and other than the Simple Minds I enjoyed everything else quite a bit, and it's given me a much better understanding of your musical background. Thanks again for playing and being such a great sport!

Total score: 8.3 + 7.3 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 7.8 + 7.9 = 47.1
18th place

Ruba – Animal Alpha
1. Billy Bob Jackson
2. Most Wanted Cowboy
3. My Droogies
4. Fire! Fire! Fire!
5. Waltz

First impression: This was excellent - quirky, intense and with some great riffs and hooks.

Final opinion: Wow, this is awesome stuff. I didn't really know what to expect going into it, but I loved it right from the start, and further listens have only solidified that opinion. The style is different (more modern and heavy) but what I like about this is similar to what I liked about Jellyfish last round. There's just so much energy and quirky creativity in the song-writing, and lots of strong punchy hooks over the top that keep it from feeling too out there. The singer is also great, and really makes the whole thing work so well.

Round score: 8.4

It's been great having you on board for the first time! The Trouble submission was... well, trouble for you. But you saved your best until last and it really was a great finish that helped you avoid last place. But despite your final ranking, most of what you sent me was really good and I'm looking forward to digging into it.

Total score: 7.8 + 8.1 + 7.1 + 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.4 = 47.3
17th place

Puppies – Drudkh
1. Summoning the Rain
2. Furrows of Gods
3. U Dakhiv Irzhavim Kolossyu...

First impression: Grand and immersive, might be your best of this roulette.

Final opinion: Another case of saving your best until last! I suspect you made the right call going for the atmospheric black metal (you said folky, but I'm not getting that much of a folky vibe in these songs to be honest), particularly as this is very melodic, so it's definitely up my alley. Although I am interested to hear what the "Pummeling Blackened Math Metal w/ Avant-garde twists" would have sounded like so you should totally send it to me as a post-roulette submission. Anyway this was great, like I said, really melodic and immersive, and a very big sound at times.

Round score: 8.3

You have a tendency in my roulettes to start badly and then quickly make up for it. You didn't quite manage to do that so much this time - I think the particularly low (relatively speaking) score in round 1 made it hard to catch back up - but you still sent me plenty of top-notch music and quite a lot of variety, for which I am grateful as always!

Total score: 7.2 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.3 = 47.5
Joint 15th place

romdrums – Winger
1. Madalaine
2. Time to Surrender
3. Rainbow in the Rose
4. In the Day We'll Never See
5. You Are the Saint, I Am the Sinner

First impression: Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Final opinion: My seventh roulette and finally someone sends me Winger! I've seen so much Winger banter over the years here at DTF but never thought to check them out. I didn't have any particular pre-conceptions, although part of me sort of expected some standard cheesy 80s classic rock. As it happens, this is actually really good stuff. Some cheesy elements for sure, but nothing out of the ordinary in that regard, and otherwise this is just some really solid hard rock with some proggy tendencies here and there. Time to Surrender and Rainbow in the Rose in particular are just great tunes.

Round score: 8.1

Your U2 submission was rather unfortunate because, other than that, you had a very solid roulette. Just like my last roulette, you sent me lots of good stuff and some nice surprises. Mr Mister is the one I'm most excited about, but really everything other than U2 I'm keen to dig into.

Total score: 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 7.4 + 8.1 = 47.5
Joint 15th place

lonestar – Gacharic Spin
1. I Wish I
2. Forever 9teen
3. MindSet

First impression: This was a lot of fun.

Final opinion: Yeah you got this one right - I imagine for a lot of people this could have been a risky submission, but you probably knew it was going to be a pretty safe bet with me. :lol I've similarly been getting into a bit of Japanese metal (including one or two of these all-women bands who seem to have been establishing themselves). These guys take quite a modern approach compared with some, and do a great job of blending some proper metal riffing with electronics and J-pop elements. The only thing I can think that would have made it even better would have been catchier hooks, but otherwise this is just a blast.

Round score: 8.2

You're one of those people I love having in my roulettes because, even though you don't tend to be consistent enough to challenge for the title, I never know what you're going to hit me with and there's always something exciting and unexpected. Thank you!

Total score: 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 + 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.2 = 47.7
14th place

Scores so far:

14. lonestar = 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 + 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.2 = 47.7
15. romdrums = 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 7.4 + 8.1 = 47.5
15. Puppies  = 7.2 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.3 = 47.5
17. Ruba     = 7.8 + 8.1 + 7.1 + 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.4 = 47.3
18. king     = 8.3 + 7.3 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 7.8 + 7.9 = 47.1

Buddyhunter1

I know I'm not getting first place, but let's see how many more fogeys I rank above :corn