News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!

Started by TAC, November 07, 2021, 05:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyhunter1

Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 01:45:02 PM
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on December 15, 2021, 01:27:14 PM
QuoteThis is a really cool tune, though it is kind of long. I was kind of waiting for that "holy shit" moment, but it just stayed pretty level.

Uh, literally every single riff from 5 minutes onwards? The breakdown + solo at 7 minutes???

What about the first 5 minutes? ;D

Yeah, that part is cool, and I reserve the right to change that score next year sometime  ;D after I've heard it 20 more times, but after 5 or 6 listens, it just didn't separate. I mean it scored over an 8.0 which means I really like it.

Pretty much every bit of that song is perfect if you ask me. :biggrin:
And yeah, in all seriousness, I'm pleasantly surprised this round went so well as a whole. You should probably listen to all their albums chronologically at some point - I don't really like their first two albums but I know they have their defenders. And everything from MYAYH onward with the exception of Pale Folklore ranges from decent to great.

ProfessorPeart

Well, I'm rather pleased with myself. Of all the rounds, I think this is the one I wanted the most. Even when I lose the roulette, I'll be proud of this minor win.

I see my win came down to Godhead beating out April Ethereal. Either way, MAYA and Still Life represent!

I might ruin it all with the 2 PT tracks I have picked out.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

Crow

I'm probably gonna change my picks for this round bcuz TAC said he didn't like one of them well before the round started so to spite him I'm going to send the best two PT/SW songs he'll definitely hate

Buddyhunter1

Sent. One of the songs I sent could be considered a dick move but TAC could always veto it since I used the wild card. ;)

And I didn't send the song that at least four or five people will definitely send.

TAC

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on December 15, 2021, 02:03:38 PM

And I didn't send the song that at least four or five people will definitely send.

Do you mean Blackest Eyes? I wouldn't recommend it.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

ProfessorPeart

Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 02:08:22 PM

I would've predicated Futile. Would that be futile to send? It was an original pick for me but I dropped it weeks ago.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

Buddyhunter1

You wouldn't recommend sending it, or you wouldn't recommend NOT sending it? :lol

Quote from: ProfessorPeart on December 15, 2021, 02:17:23 PM

I would've predicated Futile. Would that be futile to send? It was an original pick for me but I dropped it weeks ago.

Futile is a bit of a deep cut. It was on my shortlist, though upon re-listening to it the vocals in the chorus were a bit more annoying than I remembered.

Crow

TAC

Cyril knows what's up, except that Kingshmegland has a beard.

Never heard Futile.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

Yeah, nice.  Leper was my other choice but at least my two weren't far off.

TAC

Crow

i changed my submissions
there's actually one song i probably should've sent instead of the second song i did send and i wouldn't be surprised if someone else does send it
but i ended up going for a different approach than i originally planned for this one because i have a good idea of why TAC doesn't like blackest eyes and it eliminates like two-thirds of PT's discography :lol

TAC

wolfking

ariich

Quote from: Cyril on December 15, 2021, 02:33:20 PM
i have a good idea of why TAC doesn't like blackest eyes and it eliminates like two-thirds of PT's discography :lol
So I've no idea why, but similarly I feel like PT is probably not really for Tim.

But who knows, he's surprised us in previous rounds.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

TAC

Quote from: ariich on December 15, 2021, 02:46:42 PM
Quote from: Cyril on December 15, 2021, 02:33:20 PM
i have a good idea of why TAC doesn't like blackest eyes and it eliminates like two-thirds of PT's discography :lol
So I've no idea why, but similarly I feel like PT is probably not really for Tim.

But who knows, he's surprised us in previous rounds.

I've really enjoyed this roulette I must say. I lot more than I thought I would. The BTBAM was a bit tough to get through, but other than that, it's been pleasantly surprising.

And Rich, it'd be easier to catch Puppies if you send different songs. :lol

ariich

Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 02:52:04 PM
Yeah seriously.

At least you liked Burden a bit more than Deliverance. :lol

I might go a little more off-piste this round, but then maybe Chris will do the same (or maybe he won't but I'll just fail miserably anyway!).

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

wolfking

Not a major PT fan, but I have a few songs I really like that are not on Deadwing.  One is a pretty big gamble but I love the tune and the whole vibe and atmosphere behind it.

Elite

YESSSS!! A good round for once!

When as top scorer of the round, I can definitely live with that :biggrin:

Looks like you might like My Arms, Your Hearse as a whole. Can recommend it, my second favourite Opeth album :)
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

TAC

Quote from: ariich on December 15, 2021, 02:56:16 PM
Yeah seriously.

I might go a little more off-piste this round, but then maybe Chris will do the same (or maybe he won't but I'll just fail miserably anyway!).

And "off-piste" is British for.....? :lol

Elite

Quote from: ProfessorPeart on December 15, 2021, 01:58:16 PM
I see my win came down to Godhead beating out April Ethereal. Either way, MAYA and Still Life represent!

:metal
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

HOF

Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 01:12:58 PM

HOF

Windowpane...8.4

The song goes back and forth three times in the first 3-4 minutes between vocal and instrumental sections. I like those instrumental drop ins. It's pretty chill, but by the end of the third cycle, I'm ready for something else. It begins to  draw some energy before a slight change at 4:40. It stays kind of Pink Floydish and really fucking cool. I love these couple of minutes. They should've just let that fade out, but unfortunately the vocals come back at 6:30. The keyboard treatments in the outro are nice. This is a cool song.

Hope Leaves...7.4

Not unpleasant by any stretch. An interesting side of Opeth for sure. But this is like sending Beth in a KISS Round.
8.4=7.4=15.8/2=7.90

Pssh. As if Beth isn't Kiss' best song!

TAC

Quote from: HOF on December 15, 2021, 03:04:34 PM
Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 01:12:58 PM

HOF

Windowpane...8.4

The song goes back and forth three times in the first 3-4 minutes between vocal and instrumental sections. I like those instrumental drop ins. It's pretty chill, but by the end of the third cycle, I'm ready for something else. It begins to  draw some energy before a slight change at 4:40. It stays kind of Pink Floydish and really fucking cool. I love these couple of minutes. They should've just let that fade out, but unfortunately the vocals come back at 6:30. The keyboard treatments in the outro are nice. This is a cool song.

Hope Leaves...7.4

Not unpleasant by any stretch. An interesting side of Opeth for sure. But this is like sending Beth in a KISS Round.
8.4=7.4=15.8/2=7.90

Pssh. As if Beth isn't Kiss' best song!

:lol :lol

ariich

Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 03:03:56 PM
Yeah seriously.

And "off-piste" is British for.....? :lol
adjective: off-piste
- situated or taking place away from prepared ski runs.
"off-piste slopes"
- deviating from what is conventional, usual, or expected.
"an off-piste show"

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

ProfessorPeart

Puppies_On_Acid

Yeah seriously.

Let's see if I can manage to send the same songs. My lead is slowly dwindling. :corn
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

KevShmev

Quote from: ariich on December 14, 2021, 10:33:19 PM
Quote from: KevShmev on December 14, 2021, 07:58:47 PM
The outro, yes.  It sounds a bit strange, yes, but it's a weird little thing that works.  It's like the feeling of losing it and then it segues perfectly into the next song. 
Yeah it's not really part of the song, more of an interlude and segue into the next one. But on Spotify there's no way to remove or automatically skip it so I guess Tim had to listen to it every time with no context. :lol

Using Spotify for anything is the biggest fail in this whole thing, to be honest.  ;)

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: KevShmev on December 15, 2021, 06:16:31 PM
Quote from: ariich on December 14, 2021, 10:33:19 PM
Quote from: KevShmev on December 14, 2021, 07:58:47 PM
The outro, yes.  It sounds a bit strange, yes, but it's a weird little thing that works.  It's like the feeling of losing it and then it segues perfectly into the next song. 
Yeah it's not really part of the song, more of an interlude and segue into the next one. But on Spotify there's no way to remove or automatically skip it so I guess Tim had to listen to it every time with no context. :lol

Using Spotify for anything is the biggest fail in this whole thing, to be honest.  ;)
:neverusethis:
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard

Puppies_On_Acid

Just sent. Both live tracks. I am not feeling confident with this round at all. :lol

TAC

I'm 48 seconds into the first song I listen to for this round and I feel like I'm gonna puke over these vocals. :lol

Buddyhunter1

Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 06:48:41 PM
I'm 48 seconds into the first song I listen to for this round and I feel like I'm gonna puke over these vocals. :lol

Did someone send The Same Asylum As Before? :lol

TAC

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on December 15, 2021, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: TAC on December 15, 2021, 06:48:41 PM

Did someone send The Same Asylum As Before? :lol

:corn

I can't discuss songs that may or may not have been sent until everyone is in.

lonestar

Aaaaaaaaaand sent.

With the freedom of being in last place, I sent my two favorites. One from PT and on from SW.

HOF

Quote from: lonestar on December 15, 2021, 08:27:04 PM
Aaaaaaaaaand sent.

With the freedom of being in last place, I sent my two favorites. One from PT and on from SW.

Don't take your freedom for granted, because I'm gunning for your spot!