News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)

Started by gmillerdrake, February 16, 2022, 06:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faizoff

That's super cool of MP and James to acknowledge each other. Very cool of MP to be there.

TheBarstoolWarrior

The show I saw was indeed superb. The band sounds amazing and there are no signs of slowing down amongst anyone-- everyone is firing on all cylinders. James started off rough with the Alien, but sounded good for the remainder of the show. The rest of the band was virtually flawless and also showed great energy.

As a guitar nerd, I must say that JP's tone is insanely godly. Arch Echo provided the context for how good his sound truly is. Their lead guitarist, who is a great player, was inaudible at some points in his solos-- the notes were indistinguishable from each other and just buried under the noise of the other instruments. On the other hand, you could hear every single note JP played and his lead sound rang throughout the venue like sonic ecstasy. Even when he played the 8 string, it sounded crystal clear in the mix and not muddy at all. I realize this is the difference between thousands of dollars worth of gear (not to mention decades of experience doing shows and tweaking your sound) and not, but the difference was so stark.

Sort of an interesting setlist. There were no solo performances, no ballads, no intermission, and the songs seemed to sit on the longer and heavier side of the DT spectrum, with a few exceptions. I was not in love with the song selection because they omitted 2 very strong tunes from DT15 and one good song, which appears to be everyone's favorite. and instead they played 6:00, Endless Sacrifice, and Bridges in the Sky, all of which they've already played in the MM era. Bridges is one of my favorite DT songs so I was happy to experience it again but I would have preferred to hear ATC, TT, SG, or any number of songs they've never played live in the MM era.

Overall, it was a great, if not quick-feeling, evening.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

devieira73

Quote from: faizoff on March 05, 2022, 06:40:16 AM
That's super cool of MP and James to acknowledge each other. Very cool of MP to be there.

Quote from: TheCountOfNYC on March 04, 2022, 09:23:26 PM
Tonight's show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James. There was even a special guest in the crowd tonight: Mike Portnoy.

Really glad to know that this happened!!

crystalstars17

Tonight's show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James.

I'm literally counting the hours now til tonight  :heart  Fourth time for me, and first concert since 2019. So excited for the setlist.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

cramx3

Quote from: crystalstars17 on March 05, 2022, 08:10:15 AM
Tonight's show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James.

I'm literally counting the hours now til tonight  :heart  Fourth time for me, and first concert since 2019. So excited for the setlist.

Leaving my house in about an hour to drive up to CT  :yarr

Architeuthis

So cool on Mike Portnoy's part to attend this show.  I hope he really enjoyed hearing their new material,  I'd like to hear his take on it..    :coolio

Kram

Quote from: Nel on March 04, 2022, 10:40:58 PM
A show-goer on Twitter mentioned that James gave Mike a shoutout and Mike saluted back.
WOW!  That's awesome to hear.

Ben_Jamin

Nice of him to be there supporting the guys.

Probably interested, like many of us were/are, to see Mangini drum Dream Theater songs on a small kit.

I wonder if he sang along to some of the songs, or just sat there taking it all in, like how the guy next to me was just standing there taking it all in and clapping after the song.

Upon reflecting the show, man feels like a long time since I saw the first show, the best part of the set for me was the transition from About to Crash into The Ministry of Lost Souls. I love when random songs transition or crossfade into another, and when the ending to ATC was coming up, I was thinking "where would they go from this?", Then my eyes lit up when I heard TMOLS banging intro, I was all...."That was perfect"...

Kocak

I remember a comment of his in the vein of never having attended a DT show before. Well, now he has.

TheCountOfNYC

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on March 05, 2022, 12:07:16 PM
Nice of him to be there supporting the guys.

Probably interested, like many of us were/are, to see Mangini drum Dream Theater songs on a small kit.

I wonder if he sang along to some of the songs, or just sat there taking it all in, like how the guy next to me was just standing there taking it all in and clapping after the song.

Upon reflecting the show, man feels like a long time since I saw the first show, the best part of the set for me was the transition from About to Crash into The Ministry of Lost Souls. I love when random songs transition or crossfade into another, and when the ending to ATC was coming up, I was thinking "where would they go from this?", Then my eyes lit up when I heard TMOLS banging intro, I was all...."That was perfect"...

Yeah that transition was perfect. This is also my favorite encore I've seen from them. Yes that includes A Change of Seasons. The Count of Tuscany is arguably the most satisfying sounding closer they have, and I got to cross another big favorite of mine off the live list with them playing it.

MP just added in a comment: "PS - Of course I spent time w John Myung as well...(in fact went to the show with his family), we just didn't snap a pic"

MirrorMask

Quote from: The Letter M on March 05, 2022, 03:12:19 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=506157400878936&id=100044540401846

Mike took pics with every band member except Myung.

-Marc.

The photo of James and him together is probably the first good thing happened in 2022 so far!

SeRoX

I expected James would welcome Mike during the concert because no matter what James is a class act human but taking photo with Mike? I didn't expect that and James has every right not to talk with him again. But that's super cool that him and Mike united after 10-11 years. A quick small chat and a photo just made me smile. Hope their relationship grows nicely after that because no matter what deep down inside I want reunion concert at least once for the near future. 

MirrorMask

Frankly, I don't really care for a reunion (not in a bad way, as in "MP stay the phuck away from DT", I'm just happy with the band as it is), but I do want James and Mike to patch it up and be on good personal terms again. I hope this is a stepping stone for that. I mean, they're growing older, it's been 10 years, there's been a pandemic (and still there is) and now there's war, it is so important that 10-15 years ago MP complained about James' performance? time to bury the hatchet, life could end tomorrow and sadly it's not anymore a way of saying.

faizoff

Trav86

nobloodyname

"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

darkshade

Quote from: TAC on March 05, 2022, 05:53:35 PM
I'm actually happier to see the pic of MP and MM.

*Imagines what DT16 would be like with both drummers*

cramx3

Trav86

Quote from: MirrorMask on March 05, 2022, 03:33:57 PM
Frankly, I don't really care for a reunion (not in a bad way, as in "MP stay the phuck away from DT", I'm just happy with the band as it is), but I do want James and Mike to patch it up and be on good personal terms again. I hope this is a stepping stone for that. I mean, they're growing older, it's been 10 years, there's been a pandemic (and still there is) and now there's war, it is so important that 10-15 years ago MP complained about James' performance? time to bury the hatchet, life could end tomorrow and sadly it's not anymore a way of saying.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Video of James's shoutout to MP has been posted on reddit. The audio quality isn't that great, but you can hear a lot of what he says.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TAC

TheBarstoolWarrior

You aren't missing too much. James pointed out MP was in the crowd, most people turned around and clapped, a lot of people threw up phones and snapped pics/videos of MP, the show proceeded. It was a quick cordial gesture but I wouldn't read much into it. At most, it appears the hatchet is buried based on the backstage picture and caption.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

MirrorMask

Exactly, as someone else said, the public shoutout during the show was kinda "mandatory", it's a concert, MP is there, everyone will recognize him, it was kinda a given that the frontman "had" to call for him. The backstage pic was not necessary and it shows  that, at the very least, they finally talked.

Stadler

So, there was a lot "right" about Saturday night, I have to tell you.

TAC was right; the ending of AVFTTOTW is WAY better live.  I really enjoyed that.

vmadera was right; his seats were AWESOME.

I was right; as James goes, so goes Dream Theater.

A couple other posters were right; James has been ON FIRE lately. I thought he was amazing Saturday, and it really elevated the show. 

The band was really tight; not a lot of "adventure" or "danger", but it's not that kind of show, so it's not a negative thing to say. 

That was a really good experience for me (including meeting up with some old and new friends before the show). 

MinistroRaven