Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)

Started by allewartenaufdaslicht_, August 07, 2022, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmillerdrake

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on March 22, 2023, 10:49:06 AM
I'm a little surprised by how far Nightingale has fallen for a lot of people.  That song rocks.  It's not my favorite on the album, but a lot of people have it at or near the bottom.

*shrugs*

I was kind of 'meh' on Nightingale and Alphabet of Me PRIOR to hearing them in context with the rest of the album. I now REALLY dig them. Honestly, This album might be top 3 for me. It's really a perfectly refined effort from every member of the band. I can't get enough of it.

Implode

I disliked Nightingale until I heard it live. Now it's near the top for me; it completely changed my experience of the song.

Skeever

I really like the first few tracks (am I hearing some nu jazz influence?) but after that it just feels like the same Haken I'm bored of (i.e., everything they've done post-Visions).

Revenge319

My ranking of Fauna so far. All of these songs are at least good, I'm starting to enjoy this a lot.

1. The Alphabet of Me
2. Eyes of Ebony
3. Elephants Never Forget
4. Beneath the White Rainbow
5. Island in the Clouds
6. Taurus
7. Nightingale
8. Lovebite
9. Sempiternal Beings

jammindude

Quote from: Skeever on March 22, 2023, 12:28:31 PM
I really like the first few tracks (am I hearing some nu jazz influence?) but after that it just feels like the same Haken I'm bored of (i.e., everything they've done post-Visions).

This just does not compute for me at all. The reason I like it is *because* it feels so different (to me) than their other material.

I no longer partake, but I'm flashing back to those THC musings like, "have you ever wondered if the way you see red...is the same way everyone else sees red? Dude...like maybe everyone is seeing a totally different color that we're all just calling the same thing even though we're all seeing it differently... whooooaaaaa"

gmillerdrake

The chorus vocals in 'Sempiternal Beings' and 'Beneath the White Rainbow' are simply amazing. From the lyrics to the 'way' Ross sings them.....I can't get enough of them.

Nachtmerrie

Saw them live yesterday and the new songs (Taurus, The Alphabet of Me, Lovebite) worked really well especially Taurus already being one of my favorites on the album. One of their more powerful songs. It makes me very happy to see them growing as a band and playing bigger venues with each album.
Great to finally see the Virus songs live. For me Carousel and Invasion are among their better songs and Messiah Complex also makes more sense to me after seeing it live.

The combination with Between the Buried And Me worked better then expected. Fantastic show by BTBAM as well with so much more energy compared to the last time I saw them.

Final thought: replacing Diego with Pete probably saves them some transportation costs on the equipment considering the ever expanding instruments Diego was using compared to the more traditional gear Pete is using.

cramx3

Quote from: Nachtmerrie on March 23, 2023, 01:48:23 PM
It makes me very happy to see them growing as a band and playing bigger venues with each album.

Glad you had fun, and I wanted to bring this up because based on the pictures I've seen when they end their set, it looks like they are playing much bigger crowds than before.  For that, I am happy for the band.

Nachtmerrie

Quote from: cramx3 on March 23, 2023, 01:52:52 PM
Quote from: Nachtmerrie on March 23, 2023, 01:48:23 PM
It makes me very happy to see them growing as a band and playing bigger venues with each album.

Glad you had fun, and I wanted to bring this up because based on the pictures I've seen when they end their set, it looks like they are playing much bigger crowds than before.  For that, I am happy for the band.

This was a 3.000 venue. They didn't use full capacity but I estimate an attendance around 1.200 at least

ariich

Shepherd's Bush Empire is 2,000 capacity and they've sold more than 75%. Should be a great gig on Sunday!

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Nachtmerrie

Quote from: ariich on March 23, 2023, 02:26:59 PM
Shepherd's Bush Empire is 2,000 capacity and they've sold more than 75%. Should be a great gig on Sunday!

Have fun!

gmillerdrake

Don't know why I'm quoting this to ask you this.......but.....will Haken or have they ever recorded a live DVD? Feels like they're missing out on making some $$$ there

Metro

Quote from: gmillerdrake on March 23, 2023, 06:46:32 PM

Don't know why I'm quoting this to ask you this.......but.....will Haken or have they ever recorded a live DVD? Feels like they're missing out on making some $$$ there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-1VE

The Letter M

Quote from: Metropolaris on March 23, 2023, 07:09:29 PM

This is a great live set. I even went out of my way to buy the L+1VE vinyl just to get those four ProgPower USA performances on CD. I really should watch that concert again sometime soon!

I'm hoping they record (either audio and/or video) on their tours this year so we can get some V/VI/F songs on a live release!

-Marc.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: Metropolaris on March 23, 2023, 07:09:29 PM

Cool.  :tup   I thought there was only audio available for this.

cramx3

The DVD isn't the greatest concert video, but the performance and audio are still solid.  The DVD also includes the Progpower set which does kind of make it worth the purchase even if I just stated the main show (and even the Progpower set) aren't the best from a visual perspective of a recorded concert. I'm also just bummed that you can't see me in the Progpower video  :lol

Nick

Quote from: cramx3 on March 24, 2023, 06:59:39 AM
The DVD isn't the greatest concert video, but the performance and audio are still solid.  The DVD also includes the Progpower set which does kind of make it worth the purchase even if I just stated the main show (and even the Progpower set) aren't the best from a visual perspective of a recorded concert. I'm also just bummed that you can't see me in the Progpower video  :lol

You CAN see me in the ProgPower set. :D

Based on the fact that it's kinda... better in every way, I really think they should have had the ProgPower set as the main live release and then added in stuff from the other show.

Zydar

I stumbled upon this quiz - 'Can you name all of the songs by Haken (2023)?'. You have 12 minutes.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/benlewin25/haken

ariich

Fun, I did it in about half the time although 2 minutes of that was trying to remember what the hell the movements of Messiah Complex are and in what order they go! :lol

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

Evermind

I've got everything except Messiah Complex II and III. I thought I knew them, then I clicked 'give up' five minutes in and no way in hell I would've remembered those two.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Revenge319

After even more listens, I think I've got a solid ranking for Fauna.

(A+ Tier)
1. Eyes of Ebony

(A Tier)
2. Elephants Never Forget
3. The Alphabet of Me
4. Nightingale
5. Beneath the White Rainbow
6. Island in the Clouds
7. Taurus

(B Tier)
8. Sempiternal Beings
9. Lovebite

As far as album rankings go... Fauna doesn't reach the highs that other Haken albums get to, but it is very consistently enjoyable. The Mountain is my #1 Haken album, but after that I'm unsure of how to even rank the rest. They're all so great in their own ways: Affinity and Fauna are what I'd consider the band's most creative and unique works; Aquarius and Vector have many of my favorite instrumental sections from the band; and while Visions and Virus are relatively inconsistent, they also have my two favorite Haken songs (Visions and Messiah Complex). I am impressed with how strong of a discography Haken's built up for seven albums (and an EP I need to hear more of).

BlackInk

Quote from: Zydar on March 24, 2023, 07:34:05 AM
I stumbled upon this quiz - 'Can you name all of the songs by Haken (2023)?'. You have 12 minutes.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/benlewin25/haken

That was fun. Got 53/63.

BRGM

Last night was pretty great! Haken sure are tight live, I must say that Ray truly is a monster of a drummer, but then again, they all are monster musicians! Nice seeing so much of Virus being represented being they weren't able to tour it on release, it's one of my favorite of theirs. However it would be nice with more Fauna material, but I guess there will come a time for that as well  :coolio

Fantastic show nonetheless, amazing band really! And they're just getting more locked in each time I see them. Peter was GREAT on the keys as well! BTBAM also delivered, gotta check them out more!

TheCountOfNYC

gzarruk

devieira73

TheCountOfNYC

Quote from: gzarruk on April 03, 2023, 10:25:02 AM
This video is pure gold.

Gold.

https://youtu.be/vSamK9zyIi8

The dancing cockroach took me out. The pink elephants part finished me off.

krands85

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

ariich

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Ben_Jamin

Nick

I'm mentally and physically exhausted just thinking about this, but I've bought my tickets for the tour...

Montreal, Quebec City, Boston, Philly, and NYC. Who all will I see?

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

cramx3

I expect to hit up the NYC show, but I've got a business trip floating over my head and it worries me that I won't be able to see some of the May shows I have on my calendar so I haven't bought a ticket yet  :( I'm still tentatively planning on going though. I've got 5 May concerts between 8th and 27th that I'd like to see but have held back on purchasing.

Nick

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 04, 2023, 03:32:05 AM
Me, me, me!!

Figured as much! I'll likely make my way towards Philly after the Boston show, but if you and Lisa want to do something the evening before the Boston show on May 8 let me know! :D