News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on November 12, 2023, 09:18:56 AM
I don't know which one of them threw the uglier pick. Zappe was never going to be the saviour, but that was awful. Curious to see what comes after the bye.

The uglier pick was definitely Mac. There's no question. I mean, they were both ugly, but the distance and where they were on the field, Mac's INT was inexcusable. And loseyourjabable.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

El Barto,  I know to side will Bill but he built this team. He built the coaching staff and they destroyed Mac. He's shell shocked. He threw today at 2.4 seconds and still got sacked 5 times in the 1st half. They faced a team defensively at the bottom of the league defensively and scored 6 points.

It is Time to blow it up after the season. It hurts me to type this.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on November 12, 2023, 09:21:00 AM
I don't know which one of them threw the uglier pick. Zappe was never going to be the saviour, but that was awful. Curious to see what comes after the bye.

The uglier pick was definitely Mac. There's no question. I mean, they were both ugly, but the distance and where they were on the field, Mac's INT was inexcusable. And loseyourjabable.
Yeah, and he knew it, too. It's a shame because it was such a winnable game. Belichick needs to arrange for Mac and Rhamandre Stevenson to get some alone time together.

lonestar

4 minutes in and Lawrence has tasted turf three times already. Seems the Niner defensive front is on a mission today.

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: lonestar on November 12, 2023, 10:18:06 AM
4 minutes in and Lawrence has tasted turf three times already. Seems the Niner defensive front is on a mission today.
And now Lawrence is just marching down the field... :yeahright
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

lonestar

Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on November 12, 2023, 11:03:25 AM

Guess it was a short mission....

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: lonestar on November 12, 2023, 11:05:00 AM
Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on November 12, 2023, 11:03:25 AM

Guess it was a short mission....
And now Bosa is hurt. :\
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard

Puppies_On_Acid

lonestar

Puppies_On_Acid

The Niners are giving the Jags the Cowboys treatment. Where was this team against the Browns, Bengals, and Vikings?

lonestar

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

lordxizor

Man, I hate the automatic first down on defensive penalties. There need to be some automatic 4th down penalties on offense to balance it out. :lol

KevShmev

Quote from: lordxizor on November 12, 2023, 02:44:08 PM
Man, I hate the automatic first down on defensive penalties. There need to be some automatic 4th down penalties on offense to balance it out. :lol

I don't like that penalties on both teams offset no matter what if both teams are flagged on a play.  There was a skirmish in the Bills/Giants game last month where one team had two personal fouls and the other had one, so it all offset.  Once it becomes a clear that your team and the other team was flagged, you might as well haul off and clock someone, because it won't matter at that point since it'll all offset anyway.

lonestar

Quote from: KevShmev on November 12, 2023, 03:12:09 PM

I don't like that penalties on both teams offset no matter what if both teams are flagged on a play.  There was a skirmish in the Bills/Giants game last month where one team had two personal fouls and the other had one, so it all offset.  Once it becomes a clear that your team and the other team was flagged, you might as well haul off and clock someone, because it won't matter at that point since it'll all offset anyway.

Except for the whole ejection thing coming into play.

Dream Team

For a weekend without a lot of marquee matchups on paper, there were a hell of a lot of exciting games. Way to go Steelers, Browns, Texans, Lions, Vikings, Seahawks, etc. A lot of great game-winning drives today.

CJ Stroud  :omg: :omg:

KevShmev

It's unreal that the NFL didn't find a way to flex out of this Jets/Raiders hot circle of garbage game.

Then again, this is the same league that thought Giants/Cowboys being the Fox Game of the Week was still a good idea.  Yes, a 2-7 team that sucks swamp water needs to be the Game of the Week, but hey, COWBOYS RATINGS, right?

TAC

Quote from: KevShmev on November 12, 2023, 06:58:21 PM
It's unreal that the NFL didn't find a way to flex out of this Jets/Raiders hot circle of garbage game.

Then again, this is the same league that thought Giants/Cowboys being the Fox Game of the Week was still a good idea.  Yes, a 2-7 team that sucks swamp water needs to be the Game of the Week, but hey, COWBOYS RATINGS, right?

When I looked at whatever game was on at 4 today, I was like..Cowboys again??!!
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

KevShmev

Quote from: TAC on November 12, 2023, 07:00:16 PM
Quote from: KevShmev on November 12, 2023, 06:58:21 PM

When I looked at whatever game was on at 4 today, I was like..Cowboys again??!!

I am proud to say I watched zero seconds of that game.  And I watched about three minutes of tonight's game before shutting it off.

lordxizor

I've always thought that you should enforce both penalties. Yards may or may not cancel out depending on the situation.

KevShmev

Quote from: lordxizor on November 13, 2023, 04:41:07 AM

I've always thought that you should enforce both penalties. Yards may or may not cancel out depending on the situation.

Agreed.

Bengals at Steelers and Eagles at Chiefs are two BIG games next week.  And fortunately both are on in prime time, so we don't have to worry about missing either because Jerry Jones insists that the nation be force fed Cowboys vs Panthers.

Stadler

I told my son: there WILL be an announcement from Foxboro this week (well, before the next game). It's going to be major.

- Belichick will step down/be asked to leave (not likely);
- Mac Jones will be benched/traded/waived (I don't know what the cap hit is, so there's that);
- JMD will return.

Kraft had a LOT riding on that game and it was a winnable game.  I really don't think this is Bill and I really don't think he's gone.  That D, put together with duct tape and baling wire, held the Colts to 10 points and that's all you can ask of them.   Special teams was better though that missed FG hurt.  I think that game was squarely on Mac; they gave him friendly routes to run, they geared this for his (lack of) decision-making, and he STILL couldn't get it done.   He had Henry WIDE OPEN.    Literally that DB that made the pick wasn't closer than five feet from him (and that was BEFORE the ball was under thrown). 

I really do think that the Mac era is over after that game, even if it's not official yet.  Zappe isn't the savior, and I don't think his pick matters much in the big picture, that game was lost well before that.

I was wondering if there isn't one more go-round for Bill; there are two very good QBs in the hopper.  The kid from North Carolina especially.   Do you give Bill another shot?

hunnus2000

Quote from: KevShmev on November 13, 2023, 05:25:14 AM
Quote from: lordxizor on November 13, 2023, 04:41:07 AM

Agreed.

Bengals at Steelers and Eagles at Chiefs are two BIG games next week.  And fortunately both are on in prime time, so we don't have to worry about missing either because Jerry Jones insists that the nation be force fed Cowboys vs Panthers.

Bengals play the Ravens on Thursday and it's Steelers at Browns at noon. Cowboys play the Panthers at noon also and they will probably be the featured game on Fox in out of market cities because as you said, Ratings......The NFL front office has a saying that when in doubt, go with the Cowboys because as you said....Ratings.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on November 13, 2023, 05:38:34 AM

I told my son: there WILL be an announcement from Foxboro this week (well, before the next game). It's going to be major.

- Belichick will step down/be asked to leave (not likely);
- Mac Jones will be benched/traded/waived (I don't know what the cap hit is, so there's that);
- JMD will return.

Kraft had a LOT riding on that game and it was a winnable game.  I really don't think this is Bill and I really don't think he's gone.  That D, put together with duct tape and baling wire, held the Colts to 10 points and that's all you can ask of them.   Special teams was better though that missed FG hurt.  I think that game was squarely on Mac; they gave him friendly routes to run, they geared this for his (lack of) decision-making, and he STILL couldn't get it done.   He had Henry WIDE OPEN.    Literally that DB that made the pick wasn't closer than five feet from him (and that was BEFORE the ball was under thrown). 

I really do think that the Mac era is over after that game, even if it's not official yet.  Zappe isn't the savior, and I don't think his pick matters much in the big picture, that game was lost well before that.

I was wondering if there isn't one more go-round for Bill; there are two very good QBs in the hopper.  The kid from North Carolina especially.   Do you give Bill another shot?
Bill's not leaving right now. There's a good chance this is his last season, though. Certainly last one as GM. I'm not sure what sacking him right now would accomplish if the heir apparent isn't on deck yet.

Since they're almost certainly taking a top tier QB, it's questionable whether or not you want Bill involved in that. If you've got BOB and possibly JMD predominately taking care of the kid, then it should work out pretty well, and there is something to be said for continuing to promote the same philosophy and the same culture in a likely future team leader.

Mac's toast. I guess you start . If Kraft's championed him up until now that ended with the pick. Bob's reaction to that tells you all you need to know, and it was not directed at Bill.

I suspect we see a battle between Grier and Cunningham during the bye. 

I'm not sure JMD would want to come back. The Raiders are presumably still paying him 10m/yr for the next four years. There's no reason for him to work anywhere, much less relocate his family back to NE. Again. On top of that, I'm not sure Bill would take him back. Poaching his staff the way JMD did is the sort of thing that Belichick will hold a grudge over. That said, when we draft a QB next April it'd be nice to have him as the QB coach, and possible successor to BOB. I think Ziegler might come back, though.

I still don't see Vrabel coming back to NE. With TEN in rebuild mode it's not inconceivable, but I think they want MV involved in the rebuild. Casserrio is a different story. He might want to return. I'd be happy with him and Ziegler handling next year's draft.

BOB ripping Mac Jones on the sideline yesterday said a lot, and that was before the pick. I still hope he can go somewhere and get his shit together. There are things I like about him, and I'd love to see him succeed, but it ain't gonna be here.

El Barto

Also, considering that NYG comes up next, playing Malik Cunningham might be a shrewd move. I don't see how that's a game you want to win.

emtee

Lots of highly entertaining games this weekend.

My Lions keep rolling. Fun to watch right now.

Big win for the Browns. Texans might be scary good the 2nd half. Niners look to be back on track. Totally burned out on having to watch the Cowboys every week. Whatever. With their A game though, and at home, I think they are very tough.

KevShmev

Yep, Bengals/Ravens is this Thursday.  I got my AFC North teams mixed up.

Both teams are coming off tough home losses to contenders, so that'll be a big game.

bosk1

Regarding the Patriots:  Shut up.  Nobody cares.

Regarding penalties:  One of the big headscratchers for me is how intentional grounding is enforced this season.  I've seen it come up a number of times where the QB is throwing the ball away, and what would have been perfectly legit any other NFL season gets flagged now.  I don't really understand the change.

Regarding the 49ers:  One issue I am still seeing is their defensive front staying in their lanes.  It was a lot better than the last 3 games.  But I still saw some lack of discipline in that department, and that showed up on Jax's long drives (even if the drives ultimately self-destructed with turnovers).  I can't help but feel like a team with a QB like Hurts, Jackson, or Mahomes, or a team with a better schemed running attack would have potentially done a lot more damage.  They need to get that tightened up, but at least they are moving in the right direction.  And while I think the impact of having Wilks down on the field rather than in the booth is itself a bit overblown, I think there is a huge benefit to him now being able to communicate directly to the D rather than going through somebody else in between, and that showed up in the form of quicker adjustments. 

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: bosk1 on November 13, 2023, 09:17:46 AM
There is certainly an inordinate amount of discussion about them.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

El Barto

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 13, 2023, 09:43:52 AM
Quote from: bosk1 on November 13, 2023, 09:17:46 AM
There is certainly an inordinate amount of discussion about them.
Yeah, I mean it's not like there's anything interesting about what's going on with them.

KevShmev

I get that there are a number of Patriots fans here, but we are in November now, where we should be talking about the many possible playoff teams and whatnot, yet the thread is dominated by chatter about a shitty 2-8 team. 

King Postwhore

Well guys, that's on you then.  I'm passionate out the Pats and I'll talk about the dumpster fire. 

KevShmev

Eh, I posted earlier about the two BIG games next week, and aside from the one post that pointed out my typo, no one has commented on Ravens/Bengals or Eagles/Chiefs, but, yes, let's keep talking about a 2-8 team. :lol :lol

King Postwhore

:biggrin:

Ok, so do you think that Rodgers will play within a few weeks?