2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevShmev

The best part of that clip was the Pats fan on Eisen's staff realizing that he was the exact fan Burr was talking about and then tripping over his words and trying to back pedal.  :lol :lol

Jamesman42

They called DPI when there was none which got Baltimore much closer to scoring (and they did). Yeah, refs are gonna win this one tonight.
\o\ lol /o/

faizoff

Yeah some really bizarre calls, at this point though I just shrugg and say ehhh.

KevShmev

Current NFL officiating is as bad as the on-the-field product. I got bored with tonight's game after about five minutes and turned it off.

ProfessorPeart

A lot of Twitter doctors are saying Burrow probably has a Tommy John issue and that the wrist is an issue due to the ligament problem. Guess people that have had it say that a numb and painful wrist is a side effect.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

Stadler

Quote from: El Barto on November 16, 2023, 06:11:13 PM
Quote from: TAC on November 16, 2023, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: KevShmev on November 16, 2023, 04:27:56 PM
Bill Burr, as always, nails it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyrYzGw0VXo

I saw it and he's hilarious, but he's obviously not been paying attention.
No, I think he has been. He clearly understands that things are quite bad. He's just not lobbying to burn the house down hoping that it might be rebuilt better. "If not Bill, who?" is a valid, actually crucial question to ask. It's just not very satisfying thing to ponder as there isn't a good answer.

Honestly, that question scares the crap out of me.  I'm not interested in one of these 37 year old analytics junkies that consistently win 9 to 11 games each year and bow out to better coached teams in the playoffs.  Honestly I don't see anyone (realistic; Harbaugh or Reid aren't going to New England at this point in their careers) that I'd actually rather have over Belichick. 

I see Joe's point, I don't really 100% agree with it.  I don't agree that he RUINED Mac; I'm putting at least some of the blame on Mac himself.   Bill's not responsible for him collapsing.  In fact, I'd sort of rather see what happened than the alternative; that is, have a couple good/great years while all the stars aligned, get committed and THEN when the adversity hit have him collapse.   I am - or was - Team Mac and I'm just not there anymore. He's not the guy, and I fully expect that coming out of the bye week, we've got someone else under center and we see how it goes for the remainder of the season.   

I know we're all experts here, but it makes no sense to sell out the future on November 17th because you long for 2007.  I think to suggest that Foxboro is Willie Wonka's chocolate factory and no one knows WTF is going on is, I think, unreasonable.   Bill - either the coach or the GM - is no dummy.  He doesn't panic, and he works with what he has.  He's got good people around him (I don't necessarily think the Matt Patricia thing was as bad as everyone says it was. That's not to say Patricia was the right guy to groom a QB, but still.).  Easily four of the eight losses were eminently winnable, but that doesn't mean that it is solely Bill's fault.  I don't buy into the scapegoat theory of professional sports.   The Bills just fired their OC after the debacle against Denver, but the OC doesn't thrown the bad pick off his back foot.  That's Josh Allen. I get that they're not dealing Josh anytime soon - though, there's an opening in New England!!!! - but still.

King Postwhore

Mac definitely had a hand in his own demise but how BB handled the Rookie QB was a major factor in this kid's demise. I disagree about Patricia.  There were plenty of reports about how unprepared the offensive scheme was going into the season and we saw first hand the offensive players revolting. It's documented.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on November 17, 2023, 05:58:28 AM

I see Joe's point, I don't really 100% agree with it.  I don't agree that he RUINED Mac; I'm putting at least some of the blame on Mac himself.   Bill's not responsible for him collapsing.  In fact, I'd sort of rather see what happened than the alternative; that is, have a couple good/great years while all the stars aligned, get committed and THEN when the adversity hit have him collapse.   I am - or was - Team Mac and I'm just not there anymore. He's not the guy, and I fully expect that coming out of the bye week, we've got someone else under center and we see how it goes for the remainder of the season.
This is a good point. SI or somebody wrote a piece a while back that Mac might be heading into QB limbo, where he plays just good enough to keep the questions at bay. That was my concern, as well.The questions have now come and Mac's answered them quite definitively, and thankfully that's no longer a concern for moving forward.

I also think that people conveniently overlook that Mac's decline began in his rookie season when he fell apart after the bye. His final four games weren't all that different than what we've seen this year. He played fairly crappy ball, but mostly kept them in games, and beat the hell out of one [terrible] team with great play. In that case his first 12 games caused people to overlook the last 4, so we weren't really asking these questions yet. His decline continued, but because nobody got the whole Matt Patricia thing, everybody focused on that while overlooking the fact that he had already started to suck and compounded that by forgetting how to throw a damn football.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: El Barto on November 16, 2023, 05:45:09 PM
There are five year olds in New England right now who don't know what it's like to win.   :lol
I can assure you there are NFL fans all over the country who are not losing any sleep over those fucking five year olds in New England.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

El Barto

Joe Burrow is out for the year with torn ligaments in his wrist. I'm sorry to hear that. The game is better when great players play (and it needs all the help it can get right now).

In other news, the NFL is investigating whether or not any rules were broken re his status. I sarcastically said that they'd white wash it yesterday, which is generally a safe bet when likeable teams are concerned. At the same time, the NFL has a massive interest in gambling now, and it's just as likely they pull some "more likely than not" bullshit to find a way to nail them just to keep the bettors happy.

ProfessorPeart

Mark Andrews done for the year as well. Lamar slammed his helmet down when Mark got hurt. Big loss for the Ravens.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

El Barto

Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 17, 2023, 12:16:44 PM
Mark Andrews done for the year as well. Lamar slammed his helmet down when Mark got hurt. Big loss for the Ravens.
And as a result the league will enact yet another subjective rule that officials will get wrong as often as not.

Dream Team

Quote from: El Barto on November 17, 2023, 12:13:27 PM
Joe Burrow is out for the year with torn ligaments in his wrist. I'm sorry to hear that. The game is better when great players play (and it needs all the help it can get right now).

In other news, the NFL is investigating whether or not any rules were broken re his status. I sarcastically said that they'd white wash it yesterday, which is generally a safe bet when likeable teams are concerned. At the same time, the NFL has a massive interest in gambling now, and it's just as likely they pull some "more likely than not" bullshit to find a way to nail them just to keep the bettors happy.

They need to crack down before Congress gets involved. Too much money at stake.

KevShmev

I know it's against the rules, but I personally don't care if teams hide injuries. Why let your upcoming opponent know about them?  The league only cares because of gambling, which of course is the main reason why NFL is king.

King Postwhore

Quote from: KevShmev on November 17, 2023, 02:06:00 PM
I know it's against the rules, but I personally don't care if teams hide injuries. Why let your upcoming opponent know about them?  The league only cares because of gambling, which of course is the main reason why NFL is king.

I completely agree. I've said this forever.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Dream Team

Oh I agree 100%.

Stads, sorry about Burrow, I know you were rooting for him and the Bengals. AFC North losing starting QBs in back to back weeks, absolutely a horrific year for QB injuries. O-Lines being dominated.

At TheMessenger.com they just posted a detailed article on penalties. The Chiefs have been the team 2nd most adversely affected by penalties this year, but don't tell the conspiracy theorists that, it will ruin their day.

King Postwhore

Such a lost year for the Bengals. I hope they bounce back next year.

Remember all the turmoil with the Ravens and giving Lamar Jackson a new contract?  So far, it's worth it.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: KevShmev on November 17, 2023, 02:06:00 PM
I agree as well.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Stadler

Quote from: Dream Team on November 17, 2023, 03:43:58 PM
Oh I agree 100%.

Stads, sorry about Burrow, I know you were rooting for him and the Bengals. AFC North losing starting QBs in back to back weeks, absolutely a horrific year for QB injuries. O-Lines being dominated.

At TheMessenger.com they just posted a detailed article on penalties. The Chiefs have been the team 2nd most adversely affected by penalties this year, but don't tell the conspiracy theorists that, it will ruin their day.

No conspiracy, no one is out to "get" the Chiefs.  They just cheat so bad it's unavoidable.  No real mystery there. It's pretty simple. 

King Postwhore

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

DragonAttack

Quote from: El Barto on November 17, 2023, 12:13:27 PM

One person is certainly hot about it.

https://www.outkick.com/barstools-dave-portnoy-wants-to-file-class-action-lawsuit-against-nfl-bengals-over-joe-burrows-hidden-injury/

If you want to read the story on other outlets, just google 'Portnoy Barstool Burrow'.  This might be the most fitting DTF sports headline ever ;)
Quote from: frogprog on January 05, 2023, 05:45:48 PM...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen discography thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!
QUEEN Discography  [url="https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0"]https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0[/url]

El Barto

Yeah, I saw that the other day. I don't see how the Bengals have any obligation to the betting public in this matter. Their only obligation is to the league.

Also, how sympathetic is a guy who can drop 100k on a football game going to be to a jury?  :lol

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Stadler

ProfessorPeart

Quote from: TAC on November 19, 2023, 11:16:57 AM
Portnoy is a douche.

You wonder why he asks if this place is still a thing.

Wait..........  :lol

emtee

What an insane comeback by the Lions!!

Wow

Jamesman42

Dolphins offense really tried to let the Raiders feel good and win today. Thank God for our surging defense as this season goes on.
\o\ lol /o/

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: emtee on November 19, 2023, 02:07:20 PM
What an insane comeback by the Lions!!

Wow

the Vikings keep winning but don't seem to gain much in the standings with Detroit.

The final 3 weeks of the season, the Vikings and Lions play twice including Week 18. I don't know if it will, but those 2 games potentially could decide the Division.

Stadler

Granted they laughed about it afterward, but Tirico and Collinsworth started comparing Joshua Dobbs with Mahomes about midway through the second period.  Fucker has played all of twelve games in something like seven years for nine (well, seven, plus two - Steelers and Browns - twice) teams and this is Mahomes?  I mean, maybe it is - :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) - but enough's enough.  At that point, in a game I had zero interest in, I started rooting for Russell Wilson to do something and sure enough...  the cloud burst and we're back down to earth.

lordxizor

As a Vikings fan who previously knew nothing about Dobbs, I was getting very annoyed with how much everyone was talking him up. He's clearly a smart and athletic guy. But there's a reason he's bounced around as a back-up. Not that I wanted them to lose, but something to bring them back to earth a little might have been a good thing.

KevShmev

Quote from: Stadler on November 20, 2023, 05:20:53 AM
Granted they laughed about it afterward, but Tirico and Collinsworth started comparing Joshua Dobbs with Mahomes about midway through the second period.  Fucker has played all of twelve games in something like seven years for nine (well, seven, plus two - Steelers and Browns - twice) teams and this is Mahomes?  I mean, maybe it is - :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) - but enough's enough.  At that point, in a game I had zero interest in, I started rooting for Russell Wilson to do something and sure enough...  the cloud burst and we're back down to earth.

I have to admit that I chuckled at the tweet that said something along the lines of "Mahomes isn't even playing in this game and Collinsworth is still meat-riding him."

-------

As for the Broncos, I have not hidden that I do not like Sean Payton, but following a disastrous start, he appears to have them on the right path.  Four straight wins, the last three all being over teams with winning records.  The team now has what they haven't had in years: hope.

Stadler

Quote from: KevShmev on November 20, 2023, 06:03:25 AM
Quote from: Stadler on November 20, 2023, 05:20:53 AM

I have to admit that I chuckled at the tweet that said something along the lines of "Mahomes isn't even playing in this game and Collinsworth is still meat-riding him."

-------

As for the Broncos, I have not hidden that I do not like Sean Payton, but following a disastrous start, he appears to have them on the right path.  Four straight wins, the last three all being over teams with winning records.  The team now has what they haven't had in years: hope.

And if you watched the game, they're LISTENING to him. He was not delegating to his coordinators in that last five minutes; he was meeting with his players on both sides of the ball, and I think that matters.  I liked what I saw (and don't sleep on their defense; they can be VERY good if they get the discipline - not a hallmark of Payton teams, mind you - down.  That Simmons is a BEAST at corner.

Stadler

Quote from: lordxizor on November 20, 2023, 05:51:39 AM
As a Vikings fan who previously knew nothing about Dobbs, I was getting very annoyed with how much everyone was talking him up. He's clearly a smart and athletic guy. But there's a reason he's bounced around as a back-up. Not that I wanted them to lose, but something to bring them back to earth a little might have been a good thing.

I love the story; kid does it the right way, kid doesn't quit, Dad loves him, NASA, yada yada - but I think the thing the media doesn't realize is you can have all those things without being a jackass about it and losing all sense of reason and perspective.   (And not to bag on Joshua Dobbs, but even with his track record, it's not like he was backing up Brady and Mahomes... other than Roethlisberger, he was not on QB-rich teams).   

Dream Team

Dobbs is a cool story and has played well. Being really smart is an asset for a QB. They had the game won until the running back fumbled, Dobbs' INT was the result of his arm getting hit.

Two more major QB injuries yesterday, the future careers of Kenny Pickett and Zach Wilson suffered catastrophic injuries. Both were abysmal on teams that could go to the championship game if they had even competent QB play.