2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfessorPeart

Can't say I'm not glad to see Hoodie Jr. fired yet again. He's just awful. How soon before he's back in NE again?
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

El Barto

Quote from: KevShmev on November 01, 2023, 05:21:22 AM
He's awful.  Following a good start, he sucked in Denver, and he sucked in Las Vegas as well. And let's not forget the fiasco when he bailed on Indy.  He is a clown and should be sending most of his paycheck to Tom Brady who made him look like a competent OC for years.
Not sure that's entirely fair. Dude was a competent, if not excellent OC. He was a creative little prick who made the best of whatever was around him.

It's actually an interesting thing to consider. Doesn't everybody who's played with Brady owe him for their success? Is Devin McQuarty still an elite safety if he doesn't have Brady keeping them ahead and off the field? Matt Light, Logan Mankins, and Stephen Neil if they didn't have Brady checking blitz assignments and burning blitzing Ds?

Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 01, 2023, 06:48:14 AM
Can't say I'm not glad to see Hoodie Jr. fired yet again. He's just awful. How soon before he's back in NE again?
No chance, unless he's willing to be QB coach, and I doubt Bill would even offer him that.

bosk1

FYI, if anyone wants to say that McDaniels was "fired," I'm okay with that.

ProfessorPeart

Just saw a story that the Saints and Raiders had been working out a trade for a WR to be sent to LV and then all of a sudden the Saints couldn't get anyone to return their calls and the deadline passed. Guess Davis just didn't care.  :lol
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

El Barto

Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 01, 2023, 02:19:38 PM
Just saw a story that the Saints and Raiders had been working out a trade for a WR to be sent to LV and then all of a sudden the Saints couldn't get anyone to return their calls and the deadline passed. Guess Davis just didn't care.  :lol
That actually makes a lot of sense, though. He sacked the GM, too, and the trade would have been based on continuing the same path determined by the previous management. What doesn't make sense is doing it this week rather than last or the week before. I understand that the reason for giving them another year, Davis is on the hook for JMD's salary, but having a GM or a smart interim GM in line and doing this before the trade deadline would have given 2024's GM some draft capital. They're not going to stick with Jimmy G and they've got skill players that desperately want the hell out of there and the all could have been turned into picks for the new regime to work with.

KevShmev

Quote from: El Barto on November 01, 2023, 07:26:54 AM
He's awful.  Following a good start, he sucked in Denver, and he sucked in Las Vegas as well. And let's not forget the fiasco when he bailed on Indy.  He is a clown and should be sending most of his paycheck to Tom Brady who made him look like a competent OC for years.
Not sure that's entirely fair. Dude was a competent, if not excellent OC. He was a creative little prick who made the best of whatever was around him.

It's actually an interesting thing to consider. Doesn't everybody who's played with Brady owe him for their success? Is Devin McQuarty still an elite safety if he doesn't have Brady keeping them ahead and off the field? Matt Light, Logan Mankins, and Stephen Neil if they didn't have Brady checking blitz assignments and burning blitzing Ds?

The Rams were awful on offense the one year he was their OC.

The Raiders didn't improve on offense at all last year under him despite adding Davante Adams, and then completely bottomed out this season before his firing last night.

I am more than comfortable saying that he is a clown when he doesn't have Tom Brady.

El Barto

Quote from: KevShmev on November 01, 2023, 05:00:12 PM

The Rams were awful on offense the one year he was their OC.

The Raiders didn't improve on offense at all last year under him despite adding Davante Adams, and then completely bottomed out this season before his firing last night.

I am more than comfortable saying that he is a clown when he doesn't have Tom Brady.
One might argue that mustering 12 points a game with a young and hobbled Sam Bradford, an aging Steven Jackson, and a bunch of WRs and TEs nobody's ever heard of was a fairly impressive achievement.  :lol  Man, that was an impressively bad team.

More importantly, he made Matt Cassel look good enough to earn a 1st rounder in a trade, and made himself look good enough to earn a HC gig with your Broncos. He did similar with Garopolo and Jacoby Brisset, getting far more offense out of them than their talent would suggest.

Most recently he made Mac Jones look like a franchise quarterback.

Also, he wasn't OC for Oakland. He did his damage there by alienating the team as HC, like most other Belichick disciples.

Dream Team

McDaniels consistently schemed guys open for Brady for years, he was a great play designer. Go back and watch the 2017 playoff game against the Steelers, there are plays where Chris Hogan didn't have anyone within 15 yards of him. Head coach is not his niche but as an OC with a few playmakers and a non-washout QB and he'd be fine.

1. Eagles - flying high despite all the Hurts turnovers
2. Ravens - more birds-of-prey at the top
3. Lions - switch to a land-bound predator
4. Jaguars - more big cats at the top, gotta love all these animal names
5. Cowboys - is Parsons not quite as dominant as he was earlier in the year? Great game v Eagles looms
6. Dolphins - haven't beaten a great team yet and they've got another chance this Sunday
7. Chiefs - all it took was 5 turnovers (3 unforced) and some more dropped passes for Denver to finally beat them. They should be champing at the bit for this game in Germany
8. Bengals - looks they are starting their run but they have the toughest remaining schedule (another Big Cat name)
9. Seahawks - a really complete team but Geno is not playing as well as least year yet (birds and cats are the theme)
10 tie: Bills and Niners - two very dangerous but inconsistent teams

MVP: I'm back to Tyreek and we'll see what he does against his former team this weekend.

Trivia: Kyle Shanahan is 0-37 when trailing in the 4th quarter by 8 or more points. Fortunately for him the Niners are usually playing with a lead.

Stadler

No chance, unless he's willing to be QB coach, and I doubt Bill would even offer him that.

Personally, I don't think that being a great OC (or DC) is any prerequisite to being a good HC.   JMD is a GREAT OC, he just doesn't have the skillset to be the HC.   We see this all the time in every industry.

hefdaddy42

Apparently Panthers WR Adam Thielen is leading the league in targets without a drop - 70, which is remarkable.

Not saying he's the best WR in the league or anything, but he's just a pro.  He catches every catchable pass that comes near him.  57 catches, 4 TDs.

One of our few bright spots this year.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on November 02, 2023, 08:09:16 AM

Personally, I don't think that being a great OC (or DC) is any prerequisite to being a good HC.   JMD is a GREAT OC, he just doesn't have the skillset to be the HC.   We see this all the time in every industry.
NFL head coaching really does seem to be about the finest example of the Peter principle you're going to find.

And as I think about it, I don't think Bill would take him back unless it's to mop the floors. Leaving for a better gig is something he can understand, and doesn't seem to hold grudges about. Poaching as many people as JMD did is the exact opposite. That's a lifetime doghouse assignment. He might take Bricillo and Ziegler back, though. They fit into the former category.

lordxizor

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 02, 2023, 08:14:04 AM
Apparently Panthers WR Adam Thielen is leading the league in targets without a drop - 70, which is remarkable.

Not saying he's the best WR in the league or anything, but he's just a pro.  He catches every catchable pass that comes near him.  57 catches, 4 TDs.

I'm really glad he's having a great year. Enjoyed watching him play for the Vikings for many years. Seems like a stand-up guy. The business decision to let him go made sense, but it was still sad.

KevShmev

I don't think some of us are going to agree on McDaniels, so I am good with agreeing to disagree on that one.  :tup :tup

Four big games this weekend:

Seattle at Baltimore
Miami vs KC (in Germany)
Buffalo at Cincinnati
Dallas at Philly

You know Tyreek Hill will be jacked to light up his old team, but the Chiefs are coming off a loss and will likely play well, and the Dolphins got ran over by both good teams they have played this year so far, so I like KC to win that one.

It is hard to trust Buffalo these days, and the Bengals are hitting their stride.

Nothing with Dallas/Philly will surprise me. Dallas could play well and win by 20 or lay an egg and lose by 30.  They are schizo like that.

Dream Team

Yes and yes and yes. Chiefs haven't lost back-to-back games since September 2021. Each awesome game in a different time slot.

Tyreek Hill Bowl in Germany
Battle of the Birds
Will Philly Ever Lose Again
The Great White Hope of New England area codes hosting the Bills

El Barto

Patriots are bad, but they're also remarkably unlucky. The final pick was a perfect throw from McCorkle and JJSS tipped it right to the DB.

King Postwhore

Quote from: El Barto on November 05, 2023, 01:08:42 PM
Patriots are bad, but they're also remarkably unlucky. The final pick was a perfect throw from McCorkle and JJSS tipped it right to the DB.

Yeah. It was a good pass. At least they are now fighting while losing. I wonder what the future is for the Hoodie. Seems to be an outcry to have a new regime  from fans here.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Nick

The broadcast relentlessly piling on the QB there was ridiculous. Made a great pass.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Puppies_On_Acid

Looking at the rest of the schedule, I don't see the 49ers finishing any better than 10-7, unless they get their offense working again.
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

El Barto

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2023, 02:01:41 PM

The broadcast relentlessly piling on the QB there was ridiculous. Made a great pass.
Yeah, that's what really bugged me. Kid did plenty to contribute to the loss, but that throw damn sure wasn't part of it. Reminded me of Collinsworth and the SB interception.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: lordxizor on November 02, 2023, 08:32:41 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 02, 2023, 08:14:04 AM

I'm really glad he's having a great year. Enjoyed watching him play for the Vikings for many years. Seems like a stand-up guy. The business decision to let him go made sense, but it was still sad.

same, although you look at the Vikings receivers, they actually don't need him with how good Addison has turned out to be. I suppose given Jefferson's injury, he would be looked to more now if he was still with the Vikings.

El Barto

I know I'm old and boring, but when the entire defense runs 40 yards to ham it up for the endzone camera that should be a delay of game. Seriously, nobody wants to see that.

King Postwhore

I'm guessing the league office is loosening up on this to placate the players.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on November 05, 2023, 06:34:27 PM
I know I'm old and boring, but when the entire defense runs 40 yards to ham it up for the endzone camera that should be a delay of game. Seriously, nobody wants to see that.

It's brutal. Just GTFO the field!
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

bosk1

Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on November 05, 2023, 03:06:59 PM
Looking at the rest of the schedule, I don't see the 49ers finishing any better than 10-7, unless they get their offense working again.

I don't see them finishing any worse than 13-4.  They've had some bad luck, but are still easily the best team in the league.  Just not sure what's going on with the run defense.  They need to get out of the slump in that aspect of the game.

King Postwhore

ProfessorPeart

Burrow and and the Bengals are back and scary.

faizoff

Bucs tanking and in freefall losing 4 straight. Bowles saying that the defense not doing fundamental things at the end is all you need to know about his coaching. With that talent on defense and playing so terrible to me speaks nothing other than absolute piss-poor coaching.

In other news, the 3rd string Vikings QB Dobbs not having played a snap and not knowing his players, processing plays with his Masters in Aeronautical engineering background was pretty impressive.

lordxizor

Quote from: faizoff on November 05, 2023, 09:58:31 PM
In other news, the 3rd string Vikings QB Dobbs not having played a snap and not knowing his players, processing plays with his Masters in Aeronautical engineering background was pretty impressive.
Nice win for the Vikings and Dobbs. The Vikings seem to be clicking despite a rash of injuries. The loss of Cousins is pretty bad, but as much as I like the guy he isn't ever going to lead the team to the Super Bowl. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out for the Vikings.

KevShmev

The Dolphins are still what I thought they were: a team that can pound that bad teams, but wilts against the good ones.  They are a pretender.  There is no way they are on the level of KC, Baltimore or Cincinnati in the AFC.  I am still not sure how great the Jags are, and while the Steelers and Browns have the same record as the Bengals, their mediocre QB situations limit their upside.  My brother and nephew told me I was nuts in the preseason when I said I loved the Bills under win total (10.5), but it felt like they were a team that had missed their window and would stumble to 9-8 and see McDermott get the axe.  I still think that is what happens.

The Eagles are still obviously the class of the NFC, although they sure did try to blow that game at the end.  For as well as Prescott played, taking that sack at the end on 1st down was terrible.  Throw it away right away when there is nothing and then you have 3 more shots from inside the 10.  It doesn't help that Mike McCarthy's offense has zero imagination to it.

Stadler

Bucs tanking and in freefall losing 4 straight. Bowles saying that the defense not doing fundamental things at the end is all you need to know about his coaching. With that talent on defense and playing so terrible to me speaks nothing other than absolute piss-poor coaching.

How nobody saw that coming is beyond me.   ;) :) :).  I am not a fan of Todd Bowles. 

Stadler

Quote from: KevShmev on November 06, 2023, 05:26:41 AM
The Dolphins are still what I thought they were: a team that can pound that bad teams, but wilts against the good ones.  They are a pretender.  There is no way they are on the level of KC, Baltimore or Cincinnati in the AFC.  I am still not sure how great the Jags are, and while the Steelers and Browns have the same record as the Bengals, their mediocre QB situations limit their upside.  My brother and nephew told me I was nuts in the preseason when I said I loved the Bills under win total (10.5), but it felt like they were a team that had missed their window and would stumble to 9-8 and see McDermott get the axe.  I still think that is what happens.

The Eagles are still obviously the class of the NFC, although they sure did try to blow that game at the end.  For as well as Prescott played, taking that sack at the end on 1st down was terrible.  Throw it away right away when there is nothing and then you have 3 more shots from inside the 10.  It doesn't help that Mike McCarthy's offense has zero imagination to it.

The games this week really show the downside of the NFL these days.  There are a lot - too many, IMO - teams squeaking by with wins when they're not playing well, and a couple teams - you know who they are - who are squeaking by with losses when they actually played well enough to win.  It's turning into the NHL in that way, where the "real" games don't start until the playoffs.  The problem is, the NFL is a "one and done" league and that's tough when you're putting all your eggs in that basket.

faizoff

Quote from: Stadler on November 06, 2023, 07:17:56 AM

How nobody saw that coming is beyond me.   ;) :) :)I am not a fan of Todd Bowles. 

Neither are a ton of Bucs fans. People including me are still very salty about that defense collapse to the Rams after that crazy comeback in the playoffs.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on November 06, 2023, 07:17:56 AM

How nobody saw that coming is beyond me.   ;) :) :).  I am not a fan of Todd Bowles.
Pretty sure we saw that earlier this year with [I think] the Rams. That short notice kind of works to the QB's advantage as the whole gameplan is greatly simplified. He's playing more of a sandlot game rather than an NFL game, and it's hard for professionals to grasp that.