Yes studio albums countdown thread! (# 01 featured!)

Started by KevShmev, June 27, 2023, 04:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dittomist

I also had The Big Generator at #11, mostly because of how wonderful "Holy Lamb" is!

KevShmev

As it was in generally the same era, I just want to say that I was more than a bit surprised that no one at the outset suggested that the ABWH album be a part of this, as I know many consider it "basically" a Yes album. 

Puppies_On_Acid

Ah, Big Penetrator :biggrin: Decent album, but as PG said, it is kind of a letdown after 90125.

18   Tormato
14   The Ladder
13   Big Generator
12   Fly From Here
10   Time and a Word
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

The Letter M

Quote from: KevShmev on July 20, 2023, 04:12:06 PM
As it was in generally the same era, I just want to say that I was more than a bit surprised that no one at the outset suggested that the ABWH album be a part of this, as I know many consider it "basically" a Yes album.

I've been including it in my Yes Survivor, but I didn't want to step in in your turf if you were being assertive that only albums by Yes proper would be included here. Now I wonder how(e) ABWH would have fared here and if it would've made anyone's top 15.

-Marc.

KevShmev

Quote from: The Letter M on July 20, 2023, 07:29:23 PM

I've been including it in my Yes Survivor, but I didn't want to step in in your turf if you were being assertive that only albums by Yes proper would be included here. Now I wonder how(e) ABWH would have fared here and if it would've made anyone's top 15.

-Marc.

It probably would have been my number 11 or 12 album, as the first four strong songs are all really strong, as well as Order of the Universe.  I like how it has the classic 70s Yes sound, but with some strong 80s vibes, from some of Wakeman's keyboard sounds to Bruford's drums. 

If it were considered a Yes song, Birthright would undoubtedly be my favorite song post-Big Generator Yes song that wasn't on Talk.

KevShmev

10 Keystudio

Highest Finish: 7 (DTwwbwMP, Orbert)
Appeared on 14 of 17 lists

I ranked this 14th, which still feels about right.  It was a return to the classic 70s sound following the departure of Rabin and return of both Howe and (briefly) Wakeman, and the songs sound like they were trying to channel that vibe.  It was successful at times, but other times, not as much.  Some of the melodies are a bit clunky, especially on Be the One and That, That Is, but there are some really nice moments, like the Mind Drive intro, the outro of Children of Light and the instrumental sections in both Bring Me to the Power and Foot Prints.  Too bad Wakeman departed so soon as I feel like that lineup could have made something a lot better the next time after smoothing out the rough edges of this one.

Favorite songs: Foot Prints, Bring Me to the Power, Mind Drive and Children of Light

The Letter M

Quote from: KevShmev on July 21, 2023, 05:07:40 AM
10 Keystudio

Highest Finish: 7 (DTwwbwMP, Orbert)

18   Big Generator
17   Time And A Word
13   Tormato
12   Fly From Here
09   The Ladder
08   Keystudio

This is one I really enjoy going back to, not just because of its lineup, but the songs are some of the best by any post-1980 version of Yes, and is probably my most played post-Drama Yes Album. I even bothered to cobble together a complete version of "Children Of Light" between the original KTA2 release and the Keystudio version, which restored Wakeman's intro but omitted the first verse from the KTA2 version.

-Marc.

Mladen

Aside from a couple of tracks, I've never heard this one. I don't really consider it a studio album neither. It's a compilation of studio tracks from earlier live albums.

Stadler

18   The Ladder
----------------------------------
13   Keysstudio
12   Time and a Word
10   Fly From Here
9   Big Penetrator
7   Tormato

I put it at 13 because, well, something has to be there.   I mean, this SHOULD be a key (see what I did there?) part of the catalogue for me; it's by far my favorite lineup, and coming off some great shows in SLO.  But....  it never resonated.  All I can seem to remember is "Janie on crack time", and that's not a good memory.  I even burned a CD once with all the songs (I had them on the live releases) but never really listened to it.  I might go back and check it out, but this is the time when I started to realize that rather than wish for these old men to go back and do something as good as Fragile or Going For The One, I might as well just listen to Fragile or Going For The One. 

Honestly, I sort of get what they did, but not really; why break up a perfectly good live show and break up a perfectly good studio session*?  The live set suffers from the lack of continuity, and the studio stuff suffers from the comparison to their best material (the live set was heavy on GFTO).

* Does anyone know if all the Keysstudio songs were recorded at the same time?  Or in different sessions?

romdrums

I had Keystudio at 10, so right on the mark here!  This was such a waste of opportunity, in my opinion.  Keys to Ascension was actually a pretty solid package.  You had a nice group of songs from the live set, and 2 new songs to get people excited about hearing new music.  KTA2 was the face plant.  They should have been promoting the fact that they were working on new studio material, and maybe stronger management goes back to the label and says hey, they've got a new album, let's use that for some forward momentum.  That means the second disc on KTA2 is released as a proper album, they tour it, and then follow up with another record around the same time as The Ladder, but with Wakeman on keys.  The music itself is really good, and if I'm being honest, probably the second best studio effort from this particular lineup after Going For The One.  For all of the talk about Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and White is THE classic lineup, they only recorded 4 albums together: Tales, GFTO, Tormato, and Keystudio.  It's a shame they screwed the pooch on this, because the music deserved better.

@Stadler: Be The One and That, That Is were recorded separately from the material on KTA2. 

devieira73

Keystudio is my #12, but I like a lot most of it, specially Mind Drive - maybe my favorite Yes epic. All the songs have a lot of great instrumental  passages. The way it was conceived, indeed it hasn't a proper album flow, which is a relative flaw of it if compared to the other albums.

pg1067

Quote from: The Letter M on July 20, 2023, 07:29:23 PM

Had I actually paid attention, I probably would have suggested including ABWH.  I'd probably have had it at 11 or 12, and it would have knocked a yet-to-be-revealed album (which I think will make this countdown) out of my top 15.

Quote from: KevShmev on July 21, 2023, 05:07:40 AM
10 Keystudio

I bought the two Keys albums (never bought Keystudio), but I overlooked the new material for a LONG time.  It's pretty easily my favorite post-90125 album, and I exactly matched the consensus.  Not on par with the '70s material, but it's solid/strong all around.

9. Tormato (12)
10. Keystudio (10)
12. Time and a Word (15)
13. Big Generator (11)

DNR:  Fly from Here, The Ladder
[/quote]

Puppies_On_Acid

So, yeah. Keystudio was #8 for me. Great set of songs. Yeah, they don't exactly flow as an album, but damn if they aren't some of the most inspired stuff from the band in nearly 20 years. Makes you wonder what the hell happened with Open Your Eyes....

18   Tormato
14   The Ladder
13   Big Generator
12   Fly From Here
10   Time and a Word
8     Keystudio
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard

KevShmev

09 Talk

Highest Finish: 3 (devieira73)

This was my favorite Yes album for much of the later 90s and even part of the 00s.  I ranked it 5th here, but I still think just as much of it now as I did then, I just have more distance from its release in order to be a bit more fair about its place in the Yes pantheon.  Great, great album, with terrific songs across the board.  I remember reading the story about how David Letterman heard The Calling on the radio and immediately had his team call to book Yes to appear on his show.  Several co-workers at the time, none of whom were really Yes fans, remarked at the time as well about how great the new Yes song that was being played on the radio (also talking about The Calling).  It is a shame that this is sort of the forgotten Yes album by the band itself, even when ARW toured, but I think it has held up really well.  And I will take Endless Dream in a heartbeat over a majority of their long epics from the 70s. 

Favorite songs: Endless Dream, The Calling, I Am Waiting, Where Will You Be, Real Love

The Letter M

Quote from: KevShmev on July 22, 2023, 04:26:42 AM
09 Talk

Highest Finish: 3 (devieira73)

18   Big Generator
17   Time And A Word
13   Tormato
12   Fly From Here
11   Talk
09   The Ladder
08   Keystudio

Talk ended up in 11th place, and now that I look at my list again, it probably could've tied with 10th but it's definitely worthy of being in Top 10. This is probably my 2nd favorite 90s Yes Album afters Keys, and is the culmination of the Rabin era to me. Just some great songwriting and playing across this whole album IMO.

-Marc.

jammindude

Stadler

18   The Ladder
13   Keysstudio
12   Time and a Word
10   Fly From Here
9   Big Penetrator
8   Talk
7   Tormato

I love this album, and it's one I go back to fairly frequently, though it doesn't have the "history" that I have with some of the other albums that are ahead of it.

Puppies_On_Acid

During my re-listens, Talk fell in the ranking quite dramatically. Which is funny because I remember liking it quite a bit more years ago. It's still got some good songs though.

18   Tormato
17   Talk
14   The Ladder
13   Big Generator
12   Fly From Here
10   Time and a Word
8     Keystudio

KevShmev

For me, Where Will You Be sits in that pantheon of amazing laid back tunes along with the likes of Turn of the Century, Holy Lamb and Nine Voices.  Yes has always done a great job with those types of songs, no matter who was in the band. You could almost throw the Leaves of Green and Soon sections into that basket, if isolated from the epics from which they come.

devieira73

Talk is an incredible album (my #3) and I also love its diversity: The Calling is an amazing hit, with some prog in the middle; Real Love and State of Play are more in the heavier side, but also a bit weird in a good way; Walls is a really nice catchy pop song; Where Will You Be is a very good world music song (I agree with the "laid back tunes" commentary above) and I Am Waiting (kind of a ballad) and Endless Dream (prog epic) are just magnificent. The only downside of the album is the even more non existent Chris Squire than on BG.

Dittomist

I had Keystudio at #10. There were several Yes albums I listened to for the first time for this countdown, and this is the one I kept wanting to go back to. Every song contained moments of sheer brilliance that took me right back to the classic Yes albums, with "Be the One," "Mind Drive," and "Bring Me to the Power" being the standouts.

Sorry but I just can't seem to get into Talk no matter how hard I try. It's one of my dad's favorite Yes albums, but "I am Waiting" is the only one that has ever really clicked with me.

Trav

I had it at 6. Just an incredible album. Fantastic listen from beginning to end.

Jamesman42

Ignore this post, just here to learn more about this band.
\o\ lol /o/

Mladen

I think I had Talk at #9. Really good album, especially the first three tracks.

KevShmev

08 90125

Highest Finish: 2 (devieira73)
Appeared on 17 of 17 lists

I ranked this 6th, which is about where I figured it would finish, but a couple snuck ahead of it that I didn't think would.  Such a great record, albeit a departure from the earlier Yes sound, but good music is good music.  This album gave the band new life and made them relevant in the 80s, and not like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame means a lot, but it's likely they never make it without Trevor Rabin and this era.  Some of the prog snobs will never give this album and this era its proper respect, but the hits from this album were what started my Yes fandom at a young age, so I have always had mad respect for it.

Favorite songs: Changes, Hearts, Leave It, Owner of a Lonely Heart, It Can Happen

The Letter M

Quote from: KevShmev on July 23, 2023, 05:27:14 AM
08 90125

Highest Finish: 2 (devieira73)
Appeared on 17 of 17 lists

22   Heaven & Earth
21   The Quest
20   Open Your Eyes
19   Union
18   Big Generator
17   Time And A Word
16   Yes
15   Mirror To The Sky
14   Magnification
13   Tormato
12   Fly From Here
11   Talk
10   90125
09   The Ladder
08   Keystudio

90125 was 10th for me, and like I said yesterday, it could've tied with Talk for me but as much as I love Talk, I always found myself enjoying 90125 just a tad but more. I think the production was slightly better and the songs are a tad bit tighter, and I adore the closing track a lot as well.

It always bugged me that I was able to love 90125 and Talk but just could never enjoy BG. Maybe some day I'll find something to like about it...

Edit - slotted in the "unranked" bottom seven. I had actually put MTTS and Magnification in 15th and 14th respectively, as they just barely made my list for this countdown. My initial reactions to MTTS were pretty good, and finding it a lot better than their previous two albums made a good impression on me.

-Marc.

KevShmev

Also, as promised, as I cannot imagine anyone having any doubt as to what the top 7 albums are (regardless of order), here is the reveal of the albums that did not make the top 15.

22 Heaven & Earth
21 The Quest
20 Mirror to the Sky
19 Open Your Eyes
18 Yes
17 Magnification
16 Union

Mladen

I enjoy 90125, but I don't love it. Owner and Hold on are great songs, there are some other fine tracks, but overall, it wasn't good enough for my top ten. I think I had it at #11. Talk is a much better record.

devieira73

90125 is an amazing and very unique album (my #2), my fave from Rabin's era. I think it's even better than Talk. It's very original in its style and vibe, also kind of captures the 80's influence in rock... something nostalgic, also it has something a bit timeless - this album really makes me feel in a special mood. Very unique vibe, no doubt, yet still manages to have some connection with older Yes.

About the "not top 15 albums", I must say that I like a lot Magnification (my #11).

KevShmev

I like Magnification more now than I did at first, enough to have ranked it 15th.  Union was the other I ranked that didn't make the top 15; I ranked that 12th, simply because the first half is fairly strong (the back half sucks, however). 

The two that made it that I did not rank were Tormato and Fly from Here.

Heaven & Earth had the dishonor of receiving a big fat zero.  It did not make anyone's top 15.

Stadler

22   Heaven And Earth
21   The Quest
20   Open Your Eyes
19   Mirror To The Sky
18   The Ladder
17   Magnification
16   Yes
15   Onion
13   Keysstudio
12   Time and a Word
11   90210
10   Fly From Here
9   Big Penetrator
8   Talk
7   Tormato

90120 was the first tour I saw, and the first leg had the lasers for "Hearts".  One of the more amazing things I've ever seen live.  Fascinating.  I still love "Owner..."; honestly I think that is perfectly in the Yes wheelhouse, and as prog as anything the AHSWaWh lineup did.   Certainly more "prog" than half of Tomato. 

Of the others, I dig the Rabin tunes on Union; I saw that tour twice as well; better live than on record, but still not what it could have been. It was just a jazz to see Awaken played, honestly.

For those paying attention, yes, I ranked two albums I'VE NEVER HEARD over Heaven and Earth, and one over Open Your Eyes.  That's how abysmal I think those albums are.  :) :) :) :)

KevShmev

Open Your Eyes probably would have made my top 15 20 years ago, but it has aged pretty poorly for me. I liked it quite a bit at first, warts and all, but I just never listen to it anymore, outside of Fortune Seller and From the Balcony, both of which I still think are quite nice.  I suspect From the Balcony would get a lot of love had it landed on a classic Yes album (it has that sound and feel).

Mladen

Of the albums that didn't get into the overall top fifteen, I had The Quest at #14 and Magnification at #12. I'm still surprised The Quest managed to get into my list.

Puppies_On_Acid

90125 is a good album. I used to hate it because of how poppy it was compared to everything that came before. Of course that was back in my phase where I first discovered Dream Theater and Fates Warning and thought everything not Prog was crap. That was many years ago though. I've really grown to appreciate it in the 20 years since.

18   Tormato
17   Talk
14   The Ladder
13   Big Generator
12   Fly From Here
10   Time and a Word
9     90125
8     Keystudio

Trav

90125 was 3rd for me. A brilliant album that I love to death. One of my all-time favorites.

Since you mentioned the albums that weren't ranked, Union was 9th for me lol. I've always enjoyed that album.