News:

Dreamtheaterforums.org is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE!!!

Main Menu

DT16 Timeline Thread - James finishes recording vocal parts

Started by Max Kuehnau, August 02, 2023, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wim Kruithof

Quote from: SeRoX on April 09, 2024, 06:46:53 AM
The part where James and Mike first met up after the split and how they behaved to each other... the first hug, calling him, "come here, brother..." in that interview just made me cry and smile at the same time. That is a huge AWWWWW moment for sure.

Exactly. Shiffers down my spine and that tiny little tear in my eye.

After a long fight against cancer my mother died last month. As a christian I'm sure to meet her again someday, but every now and then emotion overwhelmes me. But always, Dream Theater is the thriving force. On her funeral I was carrying my mother to her grave and at that very moment, Surrounded was all I could think of.

And then, burried my mother and being back home, spinning The Best of Times with a craft beer in hand was the most perfect way to finish the intense day, but also to start off a new chapter in my life's book.

I am so grateful to love a band this great.

geeeemo

I am very sorry to hear about your mom, Wim. It's a hard thing. My mom just died suddenly a couple of months ago.
You are right, Dream Theater can touch on emotions in so many ways. Can you imagine starting to cry over this brought on by Breaking All Illusions? Having nothing to do with the words, but what their music does for the soul. Nurtures, comforts, distracts and cleanses, to name a few. Dream Theater is my get-away from the harness of life.
I am glad too for you, Dream Theater has  helped in getting you thru a place that we all can or will relate to. Hugs.

DoctorAction

Mladen

evilasiojr

Sorry for your loss, brother, and hope for the future! DT is also great on busting joy in my life, it's crazy how music can affect us!

MirrorMask

TAC

Sorry to hear, Wim. The Best Of Times made me cry when my father was alive!
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TheOutlawXanadu

You're in my thoughts, Wim. I'm glad that Dream Theater has played such a special role in your life. A truly special group indeed.

Setlist Scotty

So sorry to hear about your loss Wim. My heart goes out to you.   :-[
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

jammindude

Stadler

Quote from: Wim Kruithof on April 09, 2024, 07:54:48 PM

After a long fight against cancer my mother died last month. As a christian I'm sure to meet her again someday, but every now and than emotion overwhelmes me. But always, Dream Theater is the thriving force. On her funeral I was carrying my mother to her grave and at that very moment, Surrounded was all I could think of.

And then, burried my mother and being back home, spinning The Best of Times with a craft beer in hand was the most perfect way to finish the intense day, but also to start off a new chapter in my life's book.

Hey there; sorry for your loss, and of course you have my deepest condolences.   I lost my mom about 18 months ago, but it seems like yesterday (her birthday is coming up, so there's that).  It warms my heart that you can find some solace in the music we all seem to love so much. 

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

efx

My new single Retro/Active: [url="https://open.spotify.com/track/3iQoVlyVYG9e8w7wPZweNi?si=131917e0c9d74317"]https://open.spotify.com/track/3iQoVlyVYG9e8w7wPZweNi?si=131917e0c9d74317[/url]

MinistroRaven

WOW, that was emotional to read, Wim, I'm sorry for your lost, brother.

When my grandfather died, I was listening TSCO almost none stop.

Max Kuehnau

Condolences. I too have history of DT carrying me through the darkness, not in reference to losses (although one I had to go through was tough), but in reference to me being a multiple suicide attempt survivor. Had it not been for Dramatic Turn and DT12 (and specifically This Is The Life, Surrender To Reason and Illu in that case), I wouldn't be here anymore. (so I can relate in some ways).
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

Progmaniac1988

I'm relatively new here all, but my condolences to everyone who has recently lost a loved one. Dream Theater concerts always felt magical to me, the energy in the room when all us fans get together really is a magical thing. I'm glad we all have DT to get us through the best and hardest of times. Hope to feel that magic again when these guys play NYC. Announce the tour now! :)

Wim Kruithof

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on April 10, 2024, 11:31:21 AM
Condolences. I too have history of DT carrying me through the darkness, not in reference to losses (although one I had to go through was tough), but in reference to me being a multiple suicide attempt survivor. Had it not been for Dramatic Turn and DT12 (and specifically This Is The Life, Surrender To Reason and Illu in that case), I wouldn't be here anymore. (so I can relate in some ways).

That's truly hard Max. I am sorry to read you've been through so much. If I recall correctly you had a hard time struggling with your autism as well (and if that's not true, please excuse me). I wish you joy in life and peace with struggles you've already accomplished. Being comfortable with who you've turned out to be.

And thank you very much you'll. I've never been on a forum before and never had a reason to. I also am mostly on my own, but here, although I've never met a single one of you... you kind of feel like being close to me.

I really turned out to love this place. And Stadler, much thoughts send your way as well, I can imagine the birthday 's digging up so many tears and emotions.

MoraWintersoul

My condolences, Wim. I cried when I saw the band and they played The Ministry Of Lost Souls a couple years after my mom died. I'm glad we have them and their help through our lives and troubles big and small.

It occurred to me that they may be pushing it if they want to release the album in all physical formats before the tour starts. It's really gotten bad with delays on vinyl pressing in particular in the last couple of years. Slightly smaller bands I follow have all mentioned it, just recently Sonata Arctica mentioned they booked a tour in October '23 around the assumption they'll have an album out then if they deliver the finished master in late summer, then the earliest release date they could get for that album was March '24. Maybe DT can arrange to book a pressing facility's time in advance or something? Looking forward to hearing about this from MP :biggrin:

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on April 10, 2024, 02:15:54 PM
It occurred to me that they may be pushing it if they want to release the album in all physical formats before the tour starts. It's really gotten bad with delays on vinyl pressing in particular in the last couple of years. Slightly smaller bands I follow have all mentioned it, just recently Sonata Arctica mentioned they booked a tour in October '23 around the assumption they'll have an album out then if they deliver the finished master in late summer, then the earliest release date they could get for that album was March '24. Maybe DT can arrange to book a pressing facility's time in advance or something? Looking forward to hearing about this from MP :biggrin:

I agree, so much so that I just concurrently made the same point in the other thread :lol

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58927.msg3105973#msg3105973

MoraWintersoul

I mean, it's true, fortunately Taylor Swift is releasing her big album now and Beyonce and Ariana Grande are done for the year too, but Taylor still has two more of those rerecordings to plow through, plus a potential tour live album, and at least one of those is probably being pressed this summer :P

vtgrad

Quote from: Wim Kruithof on April 09, 2024, 07:54:48 PM

After a long fight against cancer my mother died last month. As a christian I'm sure to meet her again someday, but every now and then emotion overwhelmes me. But always, Dream Theater is the thriving force. On her funeral I was carrying my mother to her grave and at that very moment, Surrounded was all I could think of.

My condolences and prayers for you and your family Wim.  Reunion thoughts are sweet, are they not?  1st Thessalonians 4:13-18

As many others can attest here, DT has carried us all through tough times.  In my own life, 2012 was a tough year for my family as we suffered the loss of my Father to a rare form of cancer.  Diagnosed in April and gone Home to praise his Saviour in September.  During that April to September stretch, when DT was touring for ADTOE, my wife and I got to meet the guys in Washington DC before the show; I was able to thank John face to face for "This is the Life" and tell him what it meant to me.  My father was very fond of that saying "this is the life" especially after he retired... anytime our family vacationed together, he would say it to me... "this is the life, eh son?"  To this day, the solo and verse following can bring me to immediate tears; so, so much truth in that song.  DT is special, I felt it as a 12-year old kid hearing PMU for the first time on MTV, and I still feel it.

The relationships that they have with each other, and with previous members, is a family relationship.  And I think that bleeds over to us as fans.

Stadler

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on April 10, 2024, 02:15:54 PM
My condolences, Wim. I cried when I saw the band and they played The Ministry Of Lost Souls a couple years after my mom died. I'm glad we have them and their help through our lives and troubles big and small.

Aren't some bands releasing their albums when they're ready, but staggering the release of that album on various formats? What I mean to say is, the album is ready, say, September 1, but since the vinyl is unpredictable, releasing the CD, cassette (yes, they are releasing cassettes), etc. on September 1 and having vinyl come, say, November or December, whenever the runs can be completed.  I think Fish did a variant on that.

Wim Kruithof

Quote from: vtgrad on April 10, 2024, 07:42:22 PM
Diagnosed in April and gone Home to praise his Saviour in September.

That's one of the most beautiful ways to write down a dying soul I've ever come across.

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: Stadler on April 11, 2024, 05:06:27 AM
Aren't some bands releasing their albums when they're ready, but staggering the release of that album on various formats? What I mean to say is, the album is ready, say, September 1, but since the vinyl is unpredictable, releasing the CD, cassette (yes, they are releasing cassettes), etc. on September 1 and having vinyl come, say, November or December, whenever the runs can be completed.  I think Fish did a variant on that.
Not sure if Fish did (but he might have), but I've seen it happening ever since Covid to either release CDs and digital first (Tori Amos did this for Ocean To Ocean) *or* digital first, then CD and vinyl (Bring Me The Horizon did this and John did this for Terminal Velocity) or indeed release everything at once (delayed in some cases, as with View) 
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

TheHoveringSojourn808

I've seen it go both ways. Typically the staggered release format in my observation has been younger bands and smaller (like popularity-wise) bands. Larger, more established acts (like DT) don't seem to be taking to it as quickly (some notable exceptions). I think it's hard to say for sure what will happen

goo-goo

The Aristocrats did the same thing. They released the physical products first but still haven't released the digital version.

HOF

Feels like staggering the releases on different formats is the way to go. It gives you a second round of promotion and generally should help keep the album a talking point for longer.

efx

Quote from: HOF on April 11, 2024, 09:42:37 AM
Feels like staggering the releases on different formats is the way to go. It gives you a second round of promotion and generally should help keep the album a talking point for longer.

I feel almost the opposite in a way. In todays world nothing music/art/film related really sticks around as far as the initial hype goes for very long. I think a lot of bands that delay releases so they can push out the vinyl at the same time as everything else for this reason. Plus the whole first impressions once thing.
My new single Retro/Active: [url="https://open.spotify.com/track/3iQoVlyVYG9e8w7wPZweNi?si=131917e0c9d74317"]https://open.spotify.com/track/3iQoVlyVYG9e8w7wPZweNi?si=131917e0c9d74317[/url]

gzarruk

If the album release gets delayed until next year because of vinyl, I'd be really pissed :lol

EvantheMotel6Owmer

Quote from: gzarruk on April 11, 2024, 10:13:02 AM
If the album release gets delayed until next year because of vinyl, I'd be really pissed :lol

Blame hipsters for that one.

TheHoveringSojourn808

From what I've seen, usually a staggered release is either:

- Digital only on Date 1, all physical Date 2

or

- 1 physical format (whatever it may be) + limited streaming (example bandcamp purchases only) on Date 1, Other physical + full streaming on Date 2

Given that DT isn't on bandcamp I think if they are gonna stagger the release due to any vinyl delay, it would be option 1. That being said, kind of feels like DT wouldn't do an album release with ZERO physical stock, which is why I am of the mind that if there are any delays, the entire thing is getting delayed

EvantheMotel6Owmer

For me, as someone who thinks vinyl is overrated as hell, the best would be to put it on streaming immediately on release and as well as having CD ready for day one (or whenever stores stock it), and then release the vinyl whenever it's ready. But sadly, vinyl is more popular than CDs these days, so that takes priority.

Mosh

Do vinyl pressings actually delay album releases? That seems a bit extreme. I know there are some cases of that happening with smaller labels but in my experience a lot of times albums are released when expected and if anything the vinyl release ends up being delayed by a few weeks.

HOF

Quote from: Mosh on April 11, 2024, 03:11:42 PM
Do vinyl pressings actually delay album releases? That seems a bit extreme. I know there are some cases of that happening with smaller labels but in my experience a lot of times albums are released when expected and if anything the vinyl release ends up being delayed by a few weeks.

Yes, for some bands. Marillion's last album was slated for release like 6 months after they finished it so they could do vinyl with it. But that was also a case where people pre-ordered various packages, so I guess it makes sense to release all of it together so nobody feels cheated that they have to wait for their orders while others have theirs.

birchbark

Quote from: EvantheMotel6Owmer on April 11, 2024, 10:32:26 AM
Blame hipsters for that one.

Its actually kind of the opposite imo. Some massive acts have caught on that vinyl has been making a comeback and want a piece of the action so they put in HUGE orders of vinyl. The problem is, many of their fans aren't into vinyl, and their music isn't necessarily very album-oriented to begin with. So the manufacturing plants are getting overwhelmed with huge orders for records that end up in the bargain bin, while the bands that people actually want vinyl of are having to wait for months so their small run can get pressed.