The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!

Started by TAC, September 10, 2023, 06:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glasser

lonestar

Lethean

I think Andy's voice is awesome, but maybe it's an acquired taste.  (He's also pretty great live.)

soupytwist

twosuitsluke

Real hard to attend school when most of the class are in another time zone! Am I early or late?

I guess mine is 4?

Quote from: TAC on September 13, 2023, 06:22:04 PM
Geez, nobody has confidence in their singers? :rollin

I did, until I saw these impressions!
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: twosuitsluke on September 13, 2023, 10:59:12 PM
Real hard to attend school when most of the class are in another time zone! Am I early or late?

A wizard is never late.
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

ariich

Quote from: TAC on September 13, 2023, 06:15:38 PM
And no, you cannot use a band once they've been used.

I am fine instituting my EP rule though.
Golly, not even extra credit bands? That would be up to 38 artists cockblocked each round. Or do you just mean main entries?

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Crow

gonna say 10 but wouldn't be shocked if it's 6 or 14?

TAC

First Listen Impressions

1. Lethean- Vanden Plas This song would've been better if the singer took the clothespin off his nose.

2. Stadler-Our Lady Peace I hate this guy's voice lol.

3. Faizoff-Volbeat I really like the pounding driving rhythm of this.

4. Twosuitsluke-Paranorm This song smokes, and the vocals are..acquired.

5. Soupy-Sponge One listen and I have no clue how I feel about it. Reminds me a little of Michael Monroe though.

6. Crow-All That Remains One of the first bands I tried with harsh vocals...always liked their music.

7. Tomislav-The Sword This is groovy as shit. I dig it.

8. Litho-Scariot This is riffy...and chunky...and tasty metal.

9. Puppies-Septicflesh Hey this isn't....er..yeah it is. Great drumming though.

10. Jingle.Boy-Exlibris Wow, that's a smoking intro. This whole song hits a sweet spot.

11. Jamesman-Katatonia So, I've been sent this band before in roulettes, and yup, this is them.

12. Romdrums-Nevermore A tad low tuned for my liking. This song would be much better if played a step or two higher.

13. Lonestar-7th Sign This has kind of a haunting vibe. Reminds me in parts of modern era Uriah Heep.

14. Wolfking-Immortal Well, this is fucking heavy lol

15. Kingshmegland-Queens Of The Stone Age My guess is that this song would come across much better if played live in a club...what..is that 
Michael Shenker cameo?

16. Nick-Klimt 1918-Snow Of '85 I thought this was a bit iffy, but even on this first listen, it continued to build.

17. Ariich-Chaos Divine There's a lot going on here to try and make a first impression with.

18. Glasser-Sacred Oath Old school band I wasn't familiar with, and the vocals were cleaner than I expected.

19. Reaper-Tool WTF? Dream Theater is banned! This song needs a melody infusion.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TAC

Quote from: wolfking on September 13, 2023, 07:31:53 PM

But come on, those VP songs are pretty much the same thing, for example;

Vision 3hree - Godmaker

That;s the same fucking thing as a song with 'Part 1 or 2' in the title!?  :lol

You have a point.. :blush

It wasn't presented to me with a hyphen so I guess I missed that, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's an Extra Credit song, and it's Vanden Plas...
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TAC

Quote from: ariich on September 13, 2023, 11:22:13 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 13, 2023, 06:15:38 PM
And no, you cannot use a band once they've been used.

I am fine instituting my EP rule though.
Golly, not even extra credit bands? That would be up to 38 artists cockblocked each round. Or do you just mean main entries?

Let me come up with something definitive and I'll post/update when I get home from work.

Crow

TAC

This is a strange round in that while the bottom end was pretty clear, I'm having trouble breaking down the top end. I feel like there's about 7 or 8 songs vying for the top, but there's no clear cut winner, and to find a 10, three 9's and five 8's and how to sort them is what I'm working on. There's a bunch of really good songs, but I'm struggling to see any of them as great.

I'll post the Extra Credit list later today.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on September 14, 2023, 02:25:16 AM
Quote from: wolfking on September 13, 2023, 07:31:53 PM

But come on, those VP songs are pretty much the same thing, for example;

Vision 3hree - Godmaker

That;s the same fucking thing as a song with 'Part 1 or 2' in the title!?  :lol

You have a point.. :blush

It wasn't presented to me with a hyphen so I guess I missed that, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's an Extra Credit song, and it's Vanden Plas...

:lol

Thanks for acknowledging that though mate.  It's not a big thing and I knew it just would have slipped by.

I don't think you'd like much from those 2 VP albums anyway.  Could be wrong but nothing on those 2 albums are really instant.

wolfking

Huh.......I wouldn't say Immortal was all that heavy.  :lol

I guess though it's very relentless.

twosuitsluke

Tim, you said Paranorm vocals are an acquired taste. Does that mean you aren't a Kreator fan, as the guy pretty much sounds like Mille?
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Tomislav95

Quote7. Tomislav-The Sword This is groovy as shit. I dig it.
It is :metal
It's been a while since I gave them spin myselft

TAC

Quote from: wolfking on September 14, 2023, 02:46:48 AM

Wow, you're a badass!  :metal :lol

Quote from: twosuitsluke on September 14, 2023, 02:49:09 AM
Tim, you said Paranorm vocals are an acquired taste. Does that mean you aren't a Kreator fan, as the guy pretty much sounds like Mille?

Well, they didn't strike me at first as going with the style of music...I don't want to say too much.

I've never really gotten into Kreator. I didn't care for the vocals back in the day, even though I saw them in a club around 1987ish-1989ish.

twosuitsluke

Then please disregard the vocals when scoring my song :lol

Is anything heavy to you anymore?

wolfking

I can't really get into old Kreator but they are a different beast these days.  A few really wonderful metal albums across the last few.

wolfking

Quote from: twosuitsluke on September 14, 2023, 03:17:56 AM
Then please disregard the vocals when scoring my song :lol

Is anything heavy to you anymore?

Yeah I dunno hey.  I may need to think about that.  :lol

wolfking

I guess I find pure death metal way more heavier than black metal.

nick_z

Quote from: TAC on September 14, 2023, 03:06:42 AM

Well, they didn't strike me at first as going with the style of music...I don't want to say too much.

Hadn't thought of Mille, necessarily, but now that Luke mentioned it, I can kinda hear it. I'd say a bit harsher, though. Paranorm's vocals certainly aren't my favorite thing about the band, but the tunes are great. Their debut full-length is really good too.

Quote from: wolfking on September 14, 2023, 03:20:24 AM
I guess I find pure death metal way more heavier than black metal.

Can't disagree with this...

twosuitsluke

Quote from: nick_z on September 14, 2023, 03:56:10 AM
Quote from: TAC on September 14, 2023, 03:06:42 AM

Hadn't thought of Mille, necessarily, but now that Luke mentioned it, I can kinda hear it. I'd say a bit harsher, though. Paranorm's vocals certainly aren't my favorite thing about the band, but the tunes are great. Their debut full-length is really good too.

Yea they are a cool band. Frustratingly I wasn't able to send my favourite song as it didn't fit the theme, but if they score well I might send them again in the EP.

soupytwist

Quote from: TAC on September 14, 2023, 02:23:08 AM
5. Soupy-Sponge One listen and I have no clue how I feel about it.

Allow me to assist you then Sir, you love it and will award it top marks.

TAC

Soupy Sponge sounds like a song on Glasser's EP.

Stadler

Quote from: TAC on September 14, 2023, 02:44:52 AM
This is a strange round in that while the bottom end was pretty clear, I'm having trouble breaking down the top end. I feel like there's about 7 or 8 songs vying for the top, but there's no clear cut winner, and to find a 10, three 9's and five 8's and how to sort them is what I'm working on. There's a bunch of really good songs, but I'm struggling to see any of them as great.

I'll post the Extra Credit list later today.

You can post my "1" and get it out of the way, if you want.   :) :) :) :)

I'm really excited for the next round.  :)

lonestar

Not very familiar with Uriah Heep, so I avoided that impression. Hopefully it's a positive thing, I do like the 'haunting' tease, that's usually a positive in my mind.

More curious to see what you thought of my extra credit track, being one of the most personally influential songs in my live.

TAC

Quote from: lonestar on September 14, 2023, 05:15:02 AM

More curious to see what you thought of my extra credit track, being one of the most personally influential songs in my live.

Haven't listened to them yet, but it's be a shame for such an personally influential song to garner just a half a point.. ;D

lonestar

Quote from: TAC on September 14, 2023, 05:25:46 AM
Quote from: lonestar on September 14, 2023, 05:15:02 AM

Haven't listened to them yet, but it's be a shame for such an personally influential song to garner just a half a point.. ;D

Eh, it's influence on me has already been effected, your opinion of it wouldn't change that. Plus...it's not like i'm in this to win it, otherwise I'd never follow through with what I got planned for Rd 3....

TAC

lonestar

Stadler

For purposes of this roulette, "European" does or does not include "UK"?

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on September 14, 2023, 06:29:57 AM
For purposes of this roulette, "European" does or does not include "UK"?

It does. It was originally an English Class except I thought that might be too restrictive, so I opened it up to all of Europe.