News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (the final list)

Started by ReaperKK, October 01, 2023, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOF

Quote from: Evermind on November 22, 2023, 08:30:36 AM
By the way Chad, can we try and guess the participants at the same time as we guess the hangman?

No spotlighting!

Evermind

Oh shit, wrong thread. :lol

Wanted to post about Beatles not being on my list and somehow mixed up this thread with jingle's roulette. Anyway, Beatles are not my cup of tea mostly, but total respect to them and well-deserved placement on the list.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

twosuitsluke

By the way Chad, can we try and guess the participants at the same time as we guess the hangman?

How embarrassing for you
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Lethean

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on November 22, 2023, 06:15:16 AM
My mother in particular was quite fond of the Beatles, so I've heard a fair amount of their material even outside of popular culture osmosis.  I've moderately liked a decent amount of it, but they're probably just not the type of group that's going to be a top favorite for me.
My mom is a huge Beatles fan and I listened to quite a lot of it growing up.  Plenty that I liked as well.  We even watched some Beatles movies.  I never really had much criticism for it; it's just that when eventually I found "my" music, there was a connection that hadn't been there with The Beatles and other stuff.

ReaperKK

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 22, 2023, 07:32:13 AM
I can't wait to see these lists revealed where you guys thought it should be given.

One of my favorite things is seeing people post what they think is a "lock" or "given" and then comparing it to what's coming up and just seeing how wrong they are :lol

Evermind

Quote from: twosuitsluke on November 22, 2023, 08:51:04 AM

How embarrassing for you

And it's not even as funny as Lube in the Face
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

twosuitsluke

Quote from: Evermind on November 22, 2023, 08:53:01 AM
Quote from: twosuitsluke on November 22, 2023, 08:51:04 AM

How embarrassing for you

And it's not even as funny as Lube in the Face

But do.you have the testicular fortitude to send Instant Boner?
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Adami

Quote from: Stadler on November 22, 2023, 08:27:35 AM
Quote from: Adami on November 22, 2023, 07:57:57 AM
So, I didn't submit a list because the world changed a bit too much for me to focus on it at the time.

That said, if I had submitted a list at that time, the Beatles wouldn't have been on it. I knew their hit songs (or some of them at least) but had never listened to much more than that. They were always a band I respected a lot and enjoyed a little. Then one day a few weeks ago I was walking and A Day in the Life came on shuffle. I'd heard it before but for some reason this time it hit a little harder. So, I decided to take a journey through the Beatles. For the last few weeks I've dedicated a week (not every day of the week though) to Beatles albums by year. So one week was 1963 (Please Please Me and With the Beatles) on repeat for a few days. Then the next week was 1964 (A Hard Days Night and Beatles for Sale), and this week is 1965 (Help! and Rubber Soul). Making sure to listen to each album at least 3 times to let it sink in. Today I listened to Help! twice but will get to Rubber Soul on my way home from work.

I really like them! I don't love every song, there's a stinker here or there, but it's rare. Also their covers on those early albums are really hit or miss. If it's John Lennon going nuts, it's good, otherwise it's pretty meh.

So if I were to do this list in the next few weeks, the Beatles would definitely make my list. And I'm excited to keep going through their major discography (not doing every single, etc.)

With respect, something to consider. It might be enlightening to include the singles because of the way they released their records.  They would put out an album - oh, and up through Revolver, the UK and US releases were different (then there's the Mono and Stereo issue as well) - and in between they would put out one or two singles that never appeared on an album.  These singly chart the process; Rubber Soul to Revolver doesn't really make sense without "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" in between.    Revolver to Sgt. Pepper doesn't really make sense without "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields" in between.  "Penny Lane" is absolutely a track that COULD have been on Revolver, but SF?  No way; vice versa, though, for Sgt. Pepper.   I don't think they planned it that way, but that's how it worked out. 

if you want to visit the singles and keep to your "album" concept, you can listen to Past Masters Vol. 1 (through mid-1965) and Vol. 2 (late-1965 through 1970) and "Magical Mystery Tour" (originally a double EP that on CD includes the singles released around that time, between Sgt. Pepper and The White Album).

Happy to try. If you feel so inclined to PM me a list of what songs to listen to between albums, I'll totally include them. Just started listening to Rubber Soul (loving it) so I got a bit before I get to Revolver.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

devieira73

I really dig Beatles and a lot of Wings/McCartney and Lennon. I think they deserve all the recognition. I grew up listening to them a lot since it was the favorite band from my older brother, but I never put an LP or CD of them to hear for myself. I'm more of a 70s and beyond rock fan.

TheHoveringSojourn808

i find the beatles a bit overrated and didn't put them on my list but it's not a surprise they'd wind up on any large group of people's favorites, they're just that big!

Stadler

Quote from: ReaperKK on November 22, 2023, 08:52:41 AM
Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 22, 2023, 07:32:13 AM
I can't wait to see these lists revealed where you guys thought it should be given.

One of my favorite things is seeing people post what they think is a "lock" or "given" and then comparing it to what's coming up and just seeing how wrong they are :lol

I am PRIME for that, since I'm so usually out of touch with the forum, but hey, I'm 2-2 so far!!!  :) :) :) :) :)

Stadler

Quote from: Evermind on November 22, 2023, 08:49:58 AM
Oh shit, wrong thread. :lol

Wanted to post about Beatles not being on my list and somehow mixed up this thread with jingle's roulette. Anyway, Beatles are not my cup of tea mostly, but total respect to them and well-deserved placement on the list.

Don't worry friend, I got you covered!!!!  :) :) :) :) :)

Stadler

Quote from: Adami on November 22, 2023, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Stadler on November 22, 2023, 08:27:35 AM
Quote from: Adami on November 22, 2023, 07:57:57 AM
So, I didn't submit a list because the world changed a bit too much for me to focus on it at the time.

That said, if I had submitted a list at that time, the Beatles wouldn't have been on it. I knew their hit songs (or some of them at least) but had never listened to much more than that. They were always a band I respected a lot and enjoyed a little. Then one day a few weeks ago I was walking and A Day in the Life came on shuffle. I'd heard it before but for some reason this time it hit a little harder. So, I decided to take a journey through the Beatles. For the last few weeks I've dedicated a week (not every day of the week though) to Beatles albums by year. So one week was 1963 (Please Please Me and With the Beatles) on repeat for a few days. Then the next week was 1964 (A Hard Days Night and Beatles for Sale), and this week is 1965 (Help! and Rubber Soul). Making sure to listen to each album at least 3 times to let it sink in. Today I listened to Help! twice but will get to Rubber Soul on my way home from work.

I really like them! I don't love every song, there's a stinker here or there, but it's rare. Also their covers on those early albums are really hit or miss. If it's John Lennon going nuts, it's good, otherwise it's pretty meh.

So if I were to do this list in the next few weeks, the Beatles would definitely make my list. And I'm excited to keep going through their major discography (not doing every single, etc.)

With respect, something to consider. It might be enlightening to include the singles because of the way they released their records.  They would put out an album - oh, and up through Revolver, the UK and US releases were different (then there's the Mono and Stereo issue as well) - and in between they would put out one or two singles that never appeared on an album.  These singly chart the process; Rubber Soul to Revolver doesn't really make sense without "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" in between.    Revolver to Sgt. Pepper doesn't really make sense without "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields" in between.  "Penny Lane" is absolutely a track that COULD have been on Revolver, but SF?  No way; vice versa, though, for Sgt. Pepper.   I don't think they planned it that way, but that's how it worked out. 

if you want to visit the singles and keep to your "album" concept, you can listen to Past Masters Vol. 1 (through mid-1965) and Vol. 2 (late-1965 through 1970) and "Magical Mystery Tour" (originally a double EP that on CD includes the singles released around that time, between Sgt. Pepper and The White Album).

Happy to try. If you feel so inclined to PM me a list of what songs to listen to between albums, I'll totally include them. Just started listening to Rubber Soul (loving it) so I got a bit before I get to Revolver.

Will do!!!

SoundscapeMN

I made a prediction the other day with 11 bands/artists left and so far I'm 3 for 3.

D
G
-Haken
I
-Led Zeppelin
M
P
P
Q
R
-The Beatles

that being said, if these are all correct, than there were some pretty big snubs considering some of the names that made the list already.

LithoJazzoSphere

Yeah, with those two out of the way, it feels fairly obvious who the rest are now.  The order could still be interesting though.  I'm really curious about #51 to #75, I'm guessing most if not all the major snubs will be there. 

The Letter M

Quote from: ReaperKK on November 22, 2023, 05:20:36 AM
Another set of 4 British musicians!

09. The Beatles
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 36,256,395
Highest Finish: 1 (Stadler, Zydar)
Number of top 10 finishes: 7
Number of Lists appeared on: 14 ()coz, DragonAttack, Dream Team, Metropolaris, pg1067, Stadler, twosuitsluke, Dave_Manchester, Zydar, jammindude, nobloodyname, SomeoneLikeHim

It took a vary long time for me to get into The Beatles. I recognize their impact and greatness but the music never really spoke to me, I also sort of rebelled by people constantly telling me they were the greatest band ever. After multiple discographies spins I finally came to appreciate them in my own way. One thing I appreciate is that while their sound changed they stated consistent in their output, I can find music to enjoy from their entire catalog.

NR  Miles Davis
NR  Symphony X
NR  Agalloch
NR  The Deer Hunter
NR  Frank Zappa
NR  Evergrey
NR  UFO
NR  Godspeed You! Black Emperor
NR  Nightwish
NR  Katatonia
NR  Helloween
NR  Between The Buried And Me
NR  Anathema
NR  Radiohead
NR  Peter Gabriel
NR  Megadeth
NR  Pain Of Salvation
NR  Devin Townsend
NR  Coheed And Cambria
NR  Mastodon
NR  Tool
NR  Black Sabbath
NR  Judas Priest
NR  Opeth
NR  Van Halen
NR  Fates Warning
NR  Led Zeppelin
29  King Crimson
28  Marillion
27  The Beatles
26  Queen
25  ?
20  Riverside
14  Steven Wilson
13  Yes
10  Ayreon
09  Haken
07  Neal Morse
06  Spock's Beard
03  Transatlantic
01  Big Big Train

When I made my list over a month ago, I had included The Beatles in my top 30 and the sorter just barely missed them and placed them at 27, which I thought was fine. I hadn't listened to them in AGES and while I knew I loved nearly all of their music, they hadn't been on my mind in years.

Fast forward to early November and the band release "Now And Then" and I've been listening to them nearly every single day ever since - at home, in my car, and at work. I've reminded myself just how much I love them and their music, how my formative years as a child were filled with Beatles music thanks to my father, and just how many songs I actually remember the lyrics to (especially among their first seven albums).

If I made my Top 25 list now, they'd almost certainly make it into the Top 10, bumping everyone from at least Ayreon upwards a spot back. Ah well... I knew they'd probably make the Top 25 but I didn't think they'd land at Number 9... Number 9... Number 9... Number 9... Number 9...

-Marc.

HOF

Quote from: SoundscapeMN on November 22, 2023, 10:02:30 AM
I made a prediction the other day with 11 bands/artists left and so far I'm 3 for 3.

D
G
-Haken
I
-Led Zeppelin
M
P
P
Q
R
-The Beatles

that being said, if these are all correct, than there were some pretty big snubs considering some of the names that made the list already.

I dunno guys, I don't think there is any way that Platypus is making the top 8.

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: HOF on November 22, 2023, 10:13:44 AM
Quote from: SoundscapeMN on November 22, 2023, 10:02:30 AM

D
G
-Haken
I
-Led Zeppelin
M
P
P
Q
R
-The Beatles

I dunno guys, I don't think there is any way that Platypus is making the top 8.
Or Poison.
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Jamesman42

Marc, I never heard of Big Big Train until this countdown. Can you give me a small sample of songs to listen to or send a small spotify playlist? Being number 1 on your list is intriguing enough.
\o\ lol /o/

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on November 22, 2023, 09:27:54 AM
i find the beatles a bit overrated
what

That band?  Of all bands?  The most influential band in the history of bands?  How can they possibly be overrated?

You not caring for them =/= "they are overrated"
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 22, 2023, 10:54:53 AM
i find the beatles a bit overrated
what

That band?  Of all bands?  The most influential band in the history of bands?  How can they possibly be overrated?

You not caring for them =/= "they are overrated"

properly rated according to Chuck Klosterman
https://vixi.livejournal.com/198971.html

Quote4. The Beatles: The Beatles are generally seen as the single most important rock band of all time, because they wrote all the best songs. Since both of these facts are true, the Beatles are rated properly.

TheHoveringSojourn808

i would disagree that they're the most influential band. i'd say you could even make an argument the rolling stones are more influential (tho i don't even think the stones are the most influential)

as someone who actually does like their music (tho not enough to rank them in this list) i don't think it's fair to say that because I don't care for them means i think they're overrated. i actually like them, lol.

HOF

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 22, 2023, 10:47:22 AM
Marc, I never heard of Big Big Train until this countdown. Can you give me a small sample of songs to listen to or send a small spotify playlist? Being number 1 on your list is intriguing enough.

Not Marc, and he will surely give you his own recommendations, but since they were my second ranked band, I'll bump my list of favorite songs from each album (start with Victorian Brickwork or East Coast Racer maybe). Or just check out The Underfall Yard or English Electric albums, which are a great starting point.

Quote from: HOF on November 01, 2023, 11:10:15 AM
Might as well do Big Big Train too. A favorite from each album:

- Losing Your Way
- The Shipping Forecast
- Powder Monkey
- Pick Up If You're There
- Victorian Brickwork
- Fat Billy Shouts Mine
- East Coast Racer
- London Plane
- Grimspound
- Terra Australis Incognita
- The Florentine
- Black With Ink
- Capitoline Venus 

Rarities:
- Mudlarks
- Snowfalls

Jamesman42

I missed your post back then, thank you HOF.

Edit: Made a Spotify playlist based on your post: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/16QQ62g5DABPFwu5cR9wh9?si=f0d77078b0704e29
\o\ lol /o/

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on November 22, 2023, 11:04:55 AM
i would disagree that they're the most influential band. i'd say you could even make an argument the rolling stones are more influential (tho i don't even think the stones are the most influential)
Well, what are you saying here exactly?

as someone who actually does like their music (tho not enough to rank them in this list) i don't think it's fair to say that because I don't care for them means i think they're overrated. i actually like them, lol.
No.  You saying you think they are overrated means you think they are overrated.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Indiscipline

In other news, the Big Bang is not the most influential event in the history of the universe.

KevShmev

i find the beatles a bit overrated and didn't put them on my list but it's not a surprise they'd wind up on any large group of people's favorites, they're just that big!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

HOF

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 22, 2023, 11:10:26 AM

Edit: Made a Spotify playlist based on your post: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/16QQ62g5DABPFwu5cR9wh9?si=f0d77078b0704e29

:tup

Just a heads up, don't let the stuff from those early albums dissuade you. They started as a small label act and then an indie hobby band before they hit on a new lineup for The Underfall Yard in 2009 and the quality of the playing and production took a huge leap up.

Jamesman42

Quote from: HOF on November 22, 2023, 11:22:16 AM

Just a heads up, don't let the stuff from those early albums dissuade you. They started as a small label act and then an Indy hobby band before they hit on a new lineup for The Underfall Yard in 2009 and the quality of the playing and production took a huge leap up.

Thanks, if you were to recommend 3 songs, which ones would you pick?
\o\ lol /o/

HOF

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 22, 2023, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: HOF on November 22, 2023, 11:22:16 AM

Just a heads up, don't let the stuff from those early albums dissuade you. They started as a small label act and then an Indy hobby band before they hit on a new lineup for The Underfall Yard in 2009 and the quality of the playing and production took a huge leap up.

Thanks, if you were to recommend 3 songs, which ones would you pick?

Victorian Brickwork, East Coast Racer (original album version from English Electric), and Snowfalls.

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 22, 2023, 11:15:44 AM
Well, what are you saying here exactly?

No.  You saying you think they are overrated means you think they are overrated.

you were the one who said i didn't care for them which isn't true, though. i never said that. i can like something, yet find it overrated. in any event i also said it makes sense that they appear on this list and wasn't trying to stir up anything

i don't really think a "the most influential band ever" statement is even something you could objectively qualify (we're certainly welcome to subjectively think these things) but even if i agreed they were the most influential band of all time, that is not really related to whether or not they're overrated in my view.

as far as who i think is the most influential, i would be more inclined to talk about people like Link Wray, or Bob Dylan (to name a few from different areas - guitar influence and songwriting influence) than i would the Beatles. but even so i would say the stones had more influence, especially in an immediate sense. you can hear stones influence like crazy in people like david bowie and a lot of other british artists of the late 60s. you can even hear their influence on the beatles themselves! :lol

Stadler

Not arguing, just debating, but... if The Beatles influenced the Stones - and they CLEARLY did*, not the other way around - wouldn't by definition they be the most influential? 

* The Stones covered The Beatles (I Wanna Be Your Man) not the other way around.  They started writing - Jagger and Richards - in reaction to Lennon/McCartney.   Their Satanic Majesty's Request was a result of The Beatles earlier psychedelic experiments, but it was also - like The Beatles Sgt. Pepper (released six months earlier) the first Stones record to be the same in the US and UK (all previous versions - like The Beatles, had the singles included on the US versions).   Like The Beatles - who responded to Sgt. Pepper with the more organic, stripped back "White Album" - The Stones rebounded with Beggar's Banquet (a single album, released in December of '68).  The Beatles did their exile to India in early '68, which directly resulted in the double album "The White Album"; Stones did their exile to France (for different reasons) in '72, resulting in their double, "Exile On Main Street".

I see little in the formative period of The Beatles that was directly influenced by the Stones. They were friends, they liked each other (and stayed in touch; see the guest list for "The Rock And Roll Circus") but the Stones were always the little brothers of The Beatles, even though they were/are the same age more or less. (Lennon was born in 1940, McCartney in '42, Jagger and Richards in '43). I think EVERYONE at that stage looked up to Lennon, for better or worse (even Ringo, who was six months or so older).

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: Stadler on November 22, 2023, 11:27:47 AM

Not arguing, just debating, but... if The Beatles influenced the Stones - and they CLEARLY did*, not the other way around - wouldn't by definition they be the most influential? 

* The Stones covered The Beatles (I Wanna Be Your Man) not the other way around.  They started writing - Jagger and Richards - in reaction to Lennon/McCartney.   Their Satanic Majesty's Request was a result of The Beatles earlier psychedelic experiments, but it was also - like The Beatles Sgt. Pepper (released six months earlier) the first Stones record to be the same in the US and UK (all previous versions - like The Beatles, had the singles included on the US versions).   Like The Beatles - who responded to Sgt. Pepper with the more organic, stripped back "White Album" - The Stones rebounded with Beggar's Banquet (a single album, released in December of '68).  The Beatles did their exile to India in early '68, which directly resulted in the double album "The White Album"; Stones did their exile to France (for different reasons) in '72, resulting in their double, "Exile On Main Street".

:lol i love a good debate! i would say Their Satanic Majesty's Request (which is very Beatles influenced) being such a bad record, and the Stones' immediately rejecting that sound after that record came out kinda shows that while you're right that the beatles influenced the stones first, the stones didn't find success with that influence and roundly dropped it. then, later, the beatles started writing more stones-like songs (especially on The White Album) and that effort was largely successful, so i guess the question is: What is more important, timing or result?

The Letter M

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 22, 2023, 10:47:22 AM

HOF pretty much covered it. If you're looking for a starting point, I'd highly suggest their first three albums with David Longdon - The Underfall Yard, and English Electric Parts 1 & 2 (though the Full Power compilation of those two is my personal pick, which includes four songs from the follow-up Make Some Noise EP to make an extremely satisfying double album). As far individual songs, their music ranges from lush and beautiful arrangements in sprawling epics to soft and gentle acoustic numbers, and everything in between. If you're looking for epics, check out this year's compilation album Ingenious Devices. There's also the 2CD compilation album from 2020, titled Summer's Lease, which covers their material from 2009 to 2019.

Hopefully you find something you like, and if you enjoy your journey discovering BBT, join us in the BBT Thread here!

-Marc.

Stadler

But even then... The White Album was largely written in India in early '68 (February, March) and demo'd at George's house in May (by the way, anyone looking for the roots of the Beatles, get the "Escher Demos" from the deluxe White Album package from a year or so ago; it's on the 3CD set version as well as the super-mega-6CD version).

It might have been somewhat contemporaneous, but clearly the impetus to get back to roots was in The Beatles camp first. 

There's a great story about Mick being so jazzed at their new work, that he threw a huge party after the recording of Beggar's Banquet was done, in August of '68 and McCartney showed up with an acetate of their new single, "Hey Jude" and ruined the mood of everyone in the Stones' camp.   :)