News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...

Started by Jamesman42, October 29, 2023, 06:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: jingle.boy on November 08, 2023, 03:49:09 PM
Apparently I'm not the only one!
I'm still waiting to see if my guesses were correct. :corn
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Jamesman42

Real life got the best of me the last two days, could barely get on here. Sick kids take up a lot of time!

Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on November 06, 2023, 07:32:06 PM
Sacul - Chelsea Wolfe
Reaper - Soilwork
Romdrums - The Paralydium Project
Tomi - Puscifer
Jingle - Lonely Robot
Vmadera - BtBaM
Ariich - Leprous
TAC - Dead Lord
Faizoff - St. Germain
Luke - Eidola

Only Sacul and TAC were right :lol

Who sent what:

lonestar: Gacharic Spin – Music Battler
LithoJazzoSphere: Above the Earth – All Our Dreams
TAC: Dead Lord – The Bold Move
Ariich: Soilwork – Death in General
jingle.boy: The Paralydium Project – Bringer of Life
vmadera00: Puscifer – The Remedy
twosuitsluke: Leprous – Third Law
Tomislav95: Eidola – Humble Ledger
ReaperKK: St. Germain – Forget Me Not
faizoff: Between the Buried and Me – The Coma Machine
romdrums: Lonely Robot – The Boy in the Radio
King Postwhore: Riverside – Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire
King Puppies: Enslaved – Building With Fire
Sacul: Chelsea Wolfe – After the Fall
Stadler: David Gilmour – And Then...
\o\ lol /o/

Puppies_On_Acid

I find it funny Reaper sent St. Germain. According to RYM he hates that album  :lol
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard

Jamesman42

First impressions yo

1   reaperkk   We still vibing in this roulette. I dig it.
2   Puppies   This is some metal shit! Wasn't expecting those harsh vocals at first though.
3   faizon   This is prog metal through the eyes of a madman.
4   ??:   This is a cool song. Some might even say cold. That said, the keyboards are great here.
5   lonestar   These girls have fun with this music, it's so evident. Wild stuff.
6   jingle.god   The energy here is good, the typical prog metal but it satisfies, and the instrumental in the middle is delicious.
7   ??:   Thank you for keeping a song as metal as this under 5 minutes. It'll be a grower.
8   LithoJazzoCube   Smooth and effortless vocals, didn't expect that instrument in the second half, though maybe I should based on your username.
9   ??:   Short and sweet, beautiful guitar tones as you would come to expect.
10   TAC   If you stay in this space this time, you're going to get higher scores, at least I would think.
11   ??:   I want more stuff like this to balance out the metal (I love metal, but not just metal).
12   ??:   I got a song by them in the last roulette, and it was a surprising grower in that round. I think I really like their sound.
13   ??:   I definitely prefer the singer's other bands more, but this is still good.
14   Sacul   Haunting with beautiful female vocals, gets me lost in it.
15   King DolphinsWhore   Great atmosphere, this band can do a lot of styles!
\o\ lol /o/

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

LithoJazzoSphere

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

King Postwhore

I've had my day. How many can say they lived 2 decades of excellence? 

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

Sacul

King Postwhore

Puppies_On_Acid

Puppies_On_Acid

lonestar

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

lonestar

ReaperKK

Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on November 08, 2023, 05:47:31 PM
I find it funny Reaper sent St. Germain. According to RYM he hates that album  :lol

That song is straight fire doe....

1 or 11?

LithoJazzoSphere

I initially ruled one out that maybe I shouldn't have.  Could it be #8?

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Just gotta love them...I mean who else could rock an ice cream cone guitar and get away with it  :lol

LithoJazzoSphere

Yeah, straight jazz doesn't feature violin very often, so the impression threw me at first, but you might think of jazz-fusion when you hear "jazz", and it's somewhat more common there.  Of course the song itself isn't jazz, but I love the microtonal Indian inflections in that solo. 

ariich

Probably 7 or 13. Although I'm not sure 5:00 technically counts as "under" 5 minutes. :P

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Jamesman42

One more day for this :)

1   reaperkk   We still vibing in this roulette. I dig it.
2   Puppies   This is some metal shit! Wasn't expecting those harsh vocals at first though.
3   faizon   This is prog metal through the eyes of a madman.
4   ??:   This is a cool song. Some might even say cold. That said, the keyboards are great here.
5   lonestar   These girls have fun with this music, it's so evident. Wild stuff.
6   jingle.god   The energy here is good, the typical prog metal but it satisfies, and the instrumental in the middle is delicious.
7   Ariich   Thank you for keeping a song as metal as this under 5 minutes. It'll be a grower.
8   LithoJazzoCube   Smooth and effortless vocals, didn't expect that instrument in the second half, though maybe I should based on your username.
9   ??:   Short and sweet, beautiful guitar tones as you would come to expect.
10   TAC   If you stay in this space this time, you're going to get higher scores, at least I would think.
11   ??:   I want more stuff like this to balance out the metal (I love metal, but not just metal).
12   ??:   I got a song by them in the last roulette, and it was a surprising grower in that round. I think I really like their sound.
13   ??:   I definitely prefer the singer's other bands more, but this is still good.
14   Sacul   Haunting with beautiful female vocals, gets me lost in it.
15   King DolphinsWhore   Great atmosphere, this band can do a lot of styles!
\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on November 08, 2023, 07:34:50 PM
Yeah, straight jazz doesn't feature violin very often, so the impression threw me at first, but you might think of jazz-fusion when you hear "jazz", and it's somewhat more common there.  Of course the song itself isn't jazz, but I love the microtonal Indian inflections in that solo. 

Yes, I don't know enough to distinguish between the two, but it is smooth.

Quote from: ariich on November 08, 2023, 11:39:10 PM
Probably 7 or 13. Although I'm not sure 5:00 technically counts as "under" 5 minutes. :P

My bad, I think I was looking at how long the song had gone on for (4:57 when I had typed it) instead of the listed time!
\o\ lol /o/

Sacul

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 09, 2023, 12:49:35 PM
14   Sacul   Haunting with beautiful female vocals, gets me lost in it.
Hell yeah, ready for bottom of the round again :metal

Jamesman42

Oh right! What did I decide on scoring? I will update tonight.
\o\ lol /o/

LithoJazzoSphere

Quote from: Sacul on November 09, 2023, 01:48:28 PM
Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 09, 2023, 12:49:35 PM
14   Sacul   Haunting with beautiful female vocals, gets me lost in it.
Hell yeah, ready for bottom of the round again :metal

Hopefully not, she's taken two hard hits the past couple weeks.   :lol

Jamesman42

Quote from: TAC on October 28, 2023, 04:41:33 PM
Quote from: Jamesman42 on October 28, 2023, 04:31:40 PM
So you guys would prefer just rating out of 10? I'm open to it. I guess I was wary because I thought that it was too open-ended.

And, out of 10, do some people not use decimals and some do? I actually am unsure since the time I have been back, I have only looked at my own and Tim's, both of which use the stacker.

I don't typically use the stacker though. I usually rate out of 10.

7.5...if I basically like the song. I'll rate lower the moe I don't like it.
8.0... if it's good
8.5... if I really like it
9.0...if it's fucking A awesome.

Those are my basic..steps. But from there, I'll use tenths of a point to further differentiate. 

Here's an example of how I scored my 2023 round in my last roulette..

8.8 Wolfking  Hellripper – Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags
8.7 Twosuitsluke  Celestial Wizard – Ice Realm
8.6 Lithojazzosphere  Conspiracy Of Zero -  Ahthos Arouris II
8.5 Puppies  Imperium Dekadenz – Memories... A Raging River
8.5 DragonAttack  Robin McAuley – Stronger Than Before
8.5 Jingle Boy  The Raven Age – Parasite
8.5 Crow  Witch Ripper - Enter The Loop
8.0 Tomislav  Paramore – The News
8.0 Vmadera  Galneryus – Bravehearts
8.0 Lonestar  The Hu – This Is Mongol
7.9 Ariich  The World Is Quiet Here - Impetus I:Torrid Sands
7.9  Buddyhunter  The Enigma Division – The Age Of Discovery
7.8 Kingshmegland  Anasazi – Trapped
7.7 Romdrums  The Enigma Division – Echoes In The Deep
7.5 Faizoff  Peter Gabriel – Panopticom
7.5 Stadler  Steve Vai – She Saved My Life Tonight
7.4 Elite  Haken – Lovebite
7.4 Reaper  Jakub Zytecki – Wait

I am basically going to do this for scoring. I suspect most scores will fall between 7 and 8.5 with a few above 8.5. I also plan to use the ranking engine to help me sort this out, because, like the current round, I like ALL the songs and the engine will at least give me an idea of what ranks against what, and then I can score accordingly.

I am stealing everything Tim does in roulettes.
\o\ lol /o/