News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...

Started by Jamesman42, October 29, 2023, 06:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twosuitsluke

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 08, 2024, 07:32:08 PM
Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on January 08, 2024, 05:39:54 PM
Can't believe I actually wasn't guessed.  I suppose it's clear no one read my writeups.   :rollin

90% of the time, people only read the writeup for their own submission.

I 100% do this 100% of the time.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.
Quote from: ariich09/07/2023, 14:25:10
luke: Pokemon – Pokemon Theme That was the best! I like Pokemon and I liked the characters. I think there was all of them. It was cool. [Have you heard that song before?] No! Score: 10 trillion

Jamesman42

Last day of winter break, so let's do this

Round 8 first impressions

1   A band I have seen live, with some of the most insane mosh pits. They're still writing cool songs like this.
2   A very slow builder, does that beautiful synth solo in the middle make up for it?
Jason Richardson – Sparrow   jingle.boy   Absolutely brutal sounds.
4   Cool textures and back and forth with the vocals, heavy stuff too.
5   How did a short amount of time accomplish so much?
6   Knowing a few of their songs, this has some of that same feel, lighter than I would think, but some old school feel.
7   Reminds me of the days in high school listening to metalcore bands with my friends.
Once Human - Only in Death   vmads   Rippingly brutal, so much energy.
9   Sounds like a Neal Morse song.
Psychonaut – Violate Consensus Reality   Litho   That build-up to the growls, yeah that's good.
11   There is quite a story here. I dig it.
12   This lady has a nice, airy voice.
13   This lady sounds like she has matured.
Bloodywood – Machi Bhasad   lonestar   This sounds absolutely devastating.
15   You almost made me shit my pants.
\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

A few of this could apply to Jason Richardson/Sparrow, but I'll go with 8

Alternatively, 7 or 15
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Jamesman42

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 09, 2024, 04:55:33 AM
A few of this could apply to Jason Richardson/Sparrow, but I'll go with 8

Alternatively, 7 or 15

None of those!
\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Jamesman42

Quote from: lonestar on January 09, 2024, 05:08:43 AM

No but I can see why you chose it.

There was more brutal stuff than normal this round, so these are gonna be harder than normal.
\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

jingle.boy

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 09, 2024, 05:07:57 AM
Also no :lol

Ok, so it's an instrumental - scratch all the vocal comments
It sure as shit doesn't remind you of Neal Morse
I doubt you've seen this guy live before
It ain't old school
I wouldn't consider 5 minutes "short"

The only possible one left is 3.  If it ain't that, I give up.

Also, where's that playlist?

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 09, 2024, 05:22:45 AM
It is 3.

Also, it's always "where's the playlist" and not "how's the playlist" :(

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2JEYlfldaeGdy2XNsYGqUm?si=d60d69c501f34d11

Well, I think the impressions answered the "How's the playlist" question.  But point taken.

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

Lonk

Am I passing you some toilet paper for #15?

I mean it could be 10, but I'm not sure I would call that a build up. And it could be 8 but the energy parts are in small burst.

Jamesman42

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 09, 2024, 05:32:12 AM
Am I passing you some toilet paper for #15?

I mean it could be 10, but I'm not sure I would call that a build up. And it could be 8 but the energy parts are in small burst.

It is 8, but sometimes my first impressions are bad takes :lol
\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

Posting because it's a new page for me.

Round 8 first impressions

Megadeth – Mission to Mars   faizoff   A band I have seen live, with some of the most insane mosh pits. They're still writing cool songs like this.
2   A very slow builder, does that beautiful synth solo in the middle make up for it?
Jason Richardson – Sparrow   jingle.boy   Absolutely brutal sounds.
Disillusion – Tormento   romdrums Cool textures and back and forth with the vocals, heavy stuff too.
5   How did a short amount of time accomplish so much?
Ghost – Kaisarion   Luke   Knowing a few of their songs, this has some of that same feel, lighter than I would think, but some old school feel.
Befell – Tribulation Wilted   TAC   Reminds me of the days in high school listening to metalcore bands with my friends.
Once Human - Only in Death   vmads   Rippingly brutal, so much energy.
Ryo Okumoto – Chrysalis   King   Sounds like a Neal Morse song.
Psychonaut – Violate Consensus Reality   Litho   That build-up to the growls, yeah that's good.
11   There is quite a story here. I dig it.
Weyes Blood – Twin Flame   tomislav This lady has a nice, airy voice.
Taylor Swift – Karma   stadler   This lady sounds like she has matured.
Bloodywood – Machi Bhasad   lonestar  This sounds absolutely devastating.
Rioghan – Bruises   Ariich   You almost made me shit my pants.
\o\ lol /o/

LithoJazzoSphere

lonestar

I didn't even notice Jason Richardson got sent...his work is fucking god tier stuff.

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 09, 2024, 06:28:45 AM
Quote from: lonestar on January 09, 2024, 06:22:55 AM
I didn't even notice Jason Richardson got sent...his work is fucking god tier stuff.

That song is quite the song.

Years ago I went to see Intervals, and he was opening. I had no clue who he was, but man...did he put on a fucking clinic that had by jaw on the ground for weeks to come. Such an impressive guitarist. He joined Intervals for their encore, and seeing him with the two amazing guitarists for Intervals shredding was something to behold.

Sacul

Quote from: Evermind on April 17, 2016, 02:11:10 PM"Zantera / Sacul music"
Quote from: home on December 09, 2017, 07:38:24 AMI want your D if it's still up for grabs

Fancy a print? Need pics for your next album's artwork? Send me a PM!

LithoJazzoSphere

Quote from: lonestar on January 09, 2024, 06:34:25 AM

Years ago I went to see Intervals, and he was opening. I had no clue who he was, but man...did he put on a fucking clinic that had by jaw on the ground for weeks to come. Such an impressive guitarist. He joined Intervals for their encore, and seeing him with the two amazing guitarists for Intervals shredding was something to behold.

Hmm, when was this show?  Aaron Marshall is incredible, but I'm wondering who the second guitarist was at the time. 

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jamesman42

Damn, that sounds awesome!

Quote from: romdrums on January 09, 2024, 06:34:37 AM
5 or 11.

Neither.

Quote from: Sacul on January 09, 2024, 06:36:30 AM

No sir.

Quote from: King Postwhore on January 09, 2024, 06:37:19 AM

Also no!
\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on January 09, 2024, 06:36:35 AM

Hmm, when was this show?  Aaron Marshall is incredible, but I'm wondering who the second guitarist was at the time.

It would've been about a year or two after A Voice Within. Jason was playing with just Luke Holland on drums and backing tracks. I know he does shows solo now (at least his last tour with Babymetal was solo)

Lonk

I dont know if you know, but he joined All That Remains after their former guitarist passed (RIP Oli). All That Remains is finally writing some new materials with him and I can't wait to hear what he does  :metal

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.