DT website countdown timer bug

Started by CraftyCaleb2483, July 23, 2024, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraftyCaleb2483

I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I revisit or reload the Dream Theater official website, the countdown timer for until the start of the tour is always at 93 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes and 42 seconds It does count down, but as soon as I reload the page it reverts back to those numbers. Are you guys getting this issue as well?
"Frustration is frustratingly frustrating."
"From experience, I know that a squishy ripe mango is about as squishy as a ripe mango."

brakkum

Looking at the HTML for that countdown, it looks like the "serverTime" doesn't change when reloading the page, so seems likely the countdown starts from that time and not from your computer's time. I bet it has to do with caching of some sort, so likely at some point later the "serverTime" will change, and then the countdown will start from another point.

Stadler

brakkum

Schurftkut

i see the same thing as OP, first time loading the dt page in ages

CraftyCaleb2483

Quote from: brakkum on July 23, 2024, 12:13:41 PMLooking at the HTML for that countdown, it looks like the "serverTime" doesn't change when reloading the page, so seems likely the countdown starts from that time and not from your computer's time. I bet it has to do with caching of some sort, so likely at some point later the "serverTime" will change, and then the countdown will start from another point.

That makes sense, because I recall earlier on that it was stuck at 100 days when the timer originally was put on. Good HTML deduction skills!!
"From experience, I know that a squishy ripe mango is about as squishy as a ripe mango."

cramx3

Quote from: Stadler on July 23, 2024, 12:21:15 PMThere's a countdown?

Quote from: Schurftkut on July 23, 2024, 12:25:13 PMi see the same thing as OP, first time loading the dt page in ages

:lol  made me go check, also for the first time in ages.  I'd imagine it's meant to be for some news but it's clearly broken.  It probably shouldn't even be up there yet

brakkum

Quote from: cramx3 on July 24, 2024, 12:16:10 PM:lol  made me go check, also for the first time in ages.  I'd imagine it's meant to be for some news but it's clearly broken.  It probably shouldn't even be up there yet

It's supposed to be counting down to the start of the tour, but it's frequently wrong

cramx3

Quote from: brakkum on July 24, 2024, 01:42:23 PMIt's supposed to be counting down to the start of the tour, but it's frequently wrong

ohh, figured maybe it would be for the first single which is probably not ready.  If for the tour, then yeah, its clearly just broken.

wgrio

Quote from: Caleb on July 23, 2024, 11:08:21 AMI don't know if it's just me, but whenever I revisit or reload the Dream Theater official website, the countdown timer for until the start of the tour is always at 93 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes and 42 seconds It does count down, but as soon as I reload the page it reverts back to those numbers. Are you guys getting this issue as well?
It looks like the countdown timer on the Dream Theater website is based on a server-side timer, rather than your local computer's time. That means it's not actually counting down in real-time, but rather just displaying a fixed time that's set on the server. When you reload the page, it's just showing you the same server-side time again, which is why it always goes back to 93 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, and 42 seconds. It's probably a caching issue, and the timer will likely update correctly at some point in the future.

cramx3

Quote from: wgrio on July 25, 2024, 11:56:58 AMIt looks like the countdown timer on the Dream Theater website is based on a server-side timer, rather than your local computer's time. That means it's not actually counting down in real-time, but rather just displaying a fixed time that's set on the server. When you reload the page, it's just showing you the same server-side time again, which is why it always goes back to 93 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, and 42 seconds. It's probably a caching issue, and the timer will likely update correctly at some point in the future.

Quote from: Caleb on July 23, 2024, 11:08:21 AMI don't know if it's just me, but whenever I revisit or reload the Dream Theater official website, the countdown timer for until the start of the tour is always at 93 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes and 42 seconds It does count down, but as soon as I reload the page it reverts back to those numbers. Are you guys getting this issue as well?

Hmmmm whenever I refresh, the timer goes to:

88D 13H 51M 57S  :lol

brakkum

Quote from: brakkum on July 23, 2024, 12:13:41 PMLooking at the HTML for that countdown, it looks like the "serverTime" doesn't change when reloading the page, so seems likely the countdown starts from that time and not from your computer's time. I bet it has to do with caching of some sort, so likely at some point later the "serverTime" will change, and then the countdown will start from another point.

Quote from: wgrio on July 25, 2024, 11:56:58 AMIt looks like the countdown timer on the Dream Theater website is based on a server-side timer, rather than your local computer's time. That means it's not actually counting down in real-time, but rather just displaying a fixed time that's set on the server. When you reload the page, it's just showing you the same server-side time again, which is why it always goes back to 93 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, and 42 seconds. It's probably a caching issue, and the timer will likely update correctly at some point in the future.

:hat

CraftyCaleb2483