DTF Chat Thread v.thespicemustflow

Started by XJDenton, April 04, 2024, 04:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Barto

For me the difference was XP vs 10 (I skipped everything in between). XP would bork itself over time. I'd be thrilled to get a year out of an install. W10 is pretty stable unless something goes terribly wrong. Personally, I credit a great deal of that stability to my never allowing it to update itself. Also, I'm not sure if AV protection has gotten better, if people have stopped trying, or if W10 is just more resilient, but reinstalling because of a virus seems to be a thing of the past, also.

If it's just a new installation I only ever used quick formats, so that was never a consideration. W10 sure does install quicker on an SSD, though. It's also true that it installs a great deal faster than XP under any circumstances. I remember waiting an hour for XP to install, and then waiting another hour for it to configure itself. Then spending two hours collecting drivers. Now the whole thing's done and ready to roll in 15 minutes or so.

The downside is that I'm a hardass about wanting my computer the way I want it. I want keyboard shortcuts for specific programs. I want file explorer to look right. I want specific, nonstandard default programs. It's getting everything set up and tweaked that takes so long. Particularly since I'm bad at taking notes, so I have to figure out how to get things setup the way I want them each time, with registry tweaks, GP edits, and all manner of wizardry. And that's assuming it's even possible. Mozilla seems to think that only a particular combination of child rapist, arsonist, and schizophrenic communist would ever want tabs anywhere but the very top of the screen, so every single update they reset them and make it that much harder to put them elsewhere. I can reinstall 10 in less than an hour. I'll be fighting it for a week after, though.

jingle.boy

Mac user here since 2012.  Never have I ever contemplated a complete reinstall.  I once did a release upgrade of OSX, and swore to NEVER do that again.  I'll do the .x version updates, but never a full release upgrade.  What a nightmare.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

TAC

Just so you know, assholes, I have will power! :lol
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

I run Windows 10 and it keep telling me Windows 11 is ready to install each time I turn the computer on.  I skip it, not sure I wanna go there.

Adami

Quote from: wolfking on April 24, 2024, 03:20:48 PM
I run Windows 10 and it keep telling me Windows 11 is ready to install each time I turn the computer on.  I skip it, not sure I wanna go there.

You don't want to....go to 11?
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

jingle.boy

Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

wolfking

ReaperKK

Quote from: wolfking on April 24, 2024, 03:20:48 PM

I upgraded to win 11 last year, and just reformatted my machine to win 11, it's actually pretty nice. Think of it as a large service pack instead of a brand new OS. A lot quality of life improvements with Win 11.

wolfking

I don't think I have the patience to go through an entire reformat.  That's what I was worried about, if I lose everything when upgrading.

ReaperKK

If you do an upgrade you won't lose anything. When I got curious about win 11 I just upgraded my win 10 install, kept all my files and stuff. I only did the reformat because my windows install was so old.

wolfking

Quote from: ReaperKK on April 25, 2024, 07:34:16 PM
If you do an upgrade you won't lose anything. When I got curious about win 11 I just upgraded my win 10 install, kept all my files and stuff. I only did the reformat because my windows install was so old.

Ah true?!  Hmm....might just do it as it keeps bugging me.  Was worried if I had to pay something but nothing is prompting me for money lol.

ReaperKK

Nah, it's a free upgrade, if I remember right you can also reverse the upgrade if you don't like it.

Zydar

I've got Windows 11 here on my work PC. My PC at home has Windows 10 because it hasn't got good enough hardware for the upgrade. I think it's my CPU and motherboard that's the problem.

ReaperKK

Probably don't have TPM 2, I'd check your bios first to see if you can enable it. When I did my upgrade I was failing the TPM check until I enabled it.

Zydar

Ah, I'll check it tonight then. Thanks!

King Postwhore

I can't stop crying this morning.  We are signing the paperwork to sell my parents house today.  I miss them so much.  One last walk through the house today.  So many great memories of them in that house. 47 years of memories.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

axeman90210

Quote from: King Postwhore on May 03, 2024, 04:35:19 AM
I can't stop crying this morning.  We are signing the paperwork to sell my parents house today.  I miss them so much.  One last walk through the house today.  So many great memories of them in that house. 47 years of memories.

*big ol' bro hug*

Adami

We got you.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

Zydar

KevShmev

I totally get it. Hang in there, man.

cramx3

Stadler

I feel you, brother.  I don't know the exact right words, but let it happen, savor the memories, let your body release it's grief. 

And when you have a moment, realize - like I did - that you are blessed to have had parents that loved you and gave you those memories.  They'll always be with you.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Hyperplex

Been a while. Thought I'd say hi.

jingle.boy

Vacation mode: Activated.  3 weeks off, heading out to Buffalo tonight, to stay at an airport hotel, early flight to Ft. Lauderdale, then set sail for 13 days on Sunday, capped off with 3 days in Barcelona.

Happy anniversary to The Jingles!

King Postwhore

Bill, thank you so much.  Thank yoi everyone else.  A fantastic lesbisn couple are buying the house. We told them wonderful stories,  talked about the fantastic neighborhood and they welcomed us to the house once they set it up.

Andrew!  What's up!!!
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

TAC

Quote from: King Postwhore on May 03, 2024, 02:34:53 PM
Bill, thank you so much.  Thank yoi everyone else.  A fantastic lesbisn couple are buying the house. We told them wonderful stories,  talked about the fantastic neighborhood and they welcomed us to the house once they set it up.

I'm sure it was quite cathartic. It would be a wonderful gift if they can keep their word on the welcome.
Thought of you often today.

Jamesman42

I'm glad you could do one last walkthrough, King.

The house (mobile home) I grew up in is long demolished, but my grandma's old house is still down the street. I wish I could go there and walk through it one more time. So many memories there.

Hyperplex, long time man. Hope you're well!
\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Quote from: jingle.boy on May 03, 2024, 02:28:24 PM
Vacation mode: Activated.  3 weeks off, heading out to Buffalo tonight, to stay at an airport hotel, early flight to Ft. Lauderdale, then set sail for 13 days on Sunday, capped off with 3 days in Barcelona.

Happy anniversary to The Jingles!

Where will you be when the Leafs eliminate the Bruins?

Hyperplex

Hey guys.
Not too much has changed over here just time passing, kids growing, work being work, life being life.

I'm glad to see everyone. Sorry about your losses, Joe. I remember when we sold my grandfather's old house after he passed and it felt like part of my childhood was being sold. Didn't feel so much for the house I grew up in for different reasons. The memories will keep everything strong.

Sorry for being absent. Sometimes focus changes and certain things fall back a bit. This place is still a home for me. I've been here for 24 years after all (Jesus h Christ).

King Postwhore

Thanks Andrew. Heh, life gets busy with 1 growing kids!

TAC

Quote from: lonestar on May 04, 2024, 12:18:56 PM

Probably in his dreams.

jingle.boy

Quote from: lonestar on May 04, 2024, 12:18:56 PM

In a hotel room in Ft Lauderdale. I have zero expectations the Leafs will win.

King Postwhore

Ft. Lauderdale!  18 year old me was there as a present from my parents for graduation!  I was with my 2 best buds!!

Jamesman42

I was born in Fort Lauderdale! Moved two weeks later. I saw either DT or Rush there in my 20s.
\o\ lol /o/