DTF Chat Thread v.thespicemustflow

Started by XJDenton, April 04, 2024, 04:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pg1067

We've been going to a place called Super Mex for years.  They serve horchata (specifically, horchata de arroz, which is made with rice, vanilla and cinnamon), and my kids went through a brief phase where that was their drink of choice.  I'm sure I tried some at some point, but I either didn't think much of it or just forgot about it.

cramx3

My gf is latino so she introduced me to Horchata.  It's tasty, but not really for me.  I dont really drink milk or milk based drinks at all usually (nothing against them, I would just rather a soda if I want something that isn't water). I went out to a Honduran restaurant with her family a few months ago and they all had horchata drinks, and I just enjoyed my water  :lol  that's a me thing, but I can see why people like it, it's good.

lonestar

carl320

I guess I could go to FB, but I'll post it here.

I've been caffeine free for almost a week  :)

ReaperKK

Congrats! How tough was it to give up?

carl320

Thanks.  I had been an energy drink a day drinker for a long time.  It hasn't been hard so far.  I had a bit of a headache last Thursday, but it wasn't bad.  The routine is the hardest part. 

Stadler

Quote from: lonestar on June 04, 2024, 01:49:31 PM
Horchata is fucking bomb.

It's got to be just right, though.  Too warm, and it's gross.  Too watery, and it's gross.   

There was a drink (alcoholic) at Epcot that was based on that, and once my stepson and I went and got in line; the line was long, so Mr. Big Shot (that's me) who hadn't had one before, decided to get two, one for the road.  My stepson looked at me sideways.  Sure enough the first one was AWESOME.  The second, after time in the Florida sun, was disappointing beyond words.

TAC

I thought a horchata was the Minnesota Vikings Love Boat.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cramx3

Quote from: carl320 on June 04, 2024, 05:48:54 PM
Thanks.  I had been an energy drink a day drinker for a long time.  It hasn't been hard so far.  I had a bit of a headache last Thursday, but it wasn't bad.  The routine is the hardest part.

I can understand giving up energy drinks, but is there a reason to cut caffiene completely?  Just curious.  I enjoy my 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day and if I don't have it, I'll likely get a headache from withdrawal.  I don't even put cream or sugar in my coffee so I don't think it's unhealthy beyond an addiction to caffiene, but I'm guessing you want to break that addiciton then? 

wolfking

Quote from: cramx3 on June 05, 2024, 07:40:56 AM
I can understand giving up energy drinks, but is there a reason to cut caffiene completely?  Just curious.  I enjoy my 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day and if I don't have it, I'll likely get a headache from withdrawal.  I don't even put cream or sugar in my coffee so I don't think it's unhealthy beyond an addiction to caffiene, but I'm guessing you want to break that addiciton then?

I think 1 cup of coffee/energy drink a day is completely fine.  Obviously black coffee the better option over energy drinks. 

carl320

Quote from: cramx3 on June 05, 2024, 07:40:56 AM

No reason to completely cut it out, other than to just do it to try it.  I haven't tried it so I was curious how it would feel.

cramx3

Quote from: carl320 on June 05, 2024, 04:55:35 PM
No reason to completely cut it out, other than to just do it to try it.  I haven't tried it so I was curious how it would feel.

Ah, that's cool.

Quote from: wolfking on June 05, 2024, 02:59:27 PM
I think 1 cup of coffee/energy drink a day is completely fine.  Obviously black coffee the better option over energy drinks. 

I feel like some energy drinks are just generally so bad for you.  I'm sure one a day is fine though.

wolfking

They certainly aren't good for you that's for sure.  I drink sugar free ones maybe a couple of times a week.  While there's a lot of shit in them, in moderation, I don't think they are a problem.  Like anything, overdoing it or drinking a few a day is where problems and going to start.

Stadler

Quote from: wolfking on June 06, 2024, 05:00:01 PM
They certainly aren't good for you that's for sure.  I drink sugar free ones maybe a couple of times a week.  While there's a lot of shit in them, in moderation, I don't think they are a problem.  Like anything, overdoing it or drinking a few a day is where problems and going to start.

This "get off my lawn" territory, I know, but I try to avoid ANY "substitute" beverage. That is to say, with "sugar substitutes" and "flavor substitutes".  I'm not perfect, but I just can't get it out of my head that diet soda is the Devil's semen. 

Zydar

I tried an energy drink once, and I got instant heart palpitations and started to sweat. Haven't had one since. I'll stick to coffee, thank you very much.

Ben_Jamin

Remember when they started putting alcohol in Monster drinks. 

Zydar

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on June 07, 2024, 05:53:59 AM
Remember when they started putting alcohol in Monster drinks. 

And when it was popular to mix Red Bull and vodka. Many people had to go to the hospital, at least here in Sweden. Some even died.

ReaperKK

Some of you guys haven't had an OG 4 Loko and it shows...

hefdaddy42

Quote from: ReaperKK on June 07, 2024, 06:16:03 AM
No, but I remember Jolt Cola.  Double the caffeine and sugar of regular soft drinks.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

cramx3

Quote from: Zydar on June 07, 2024, 06:06:47 AM
And when it was popular to mix Red Bull and vodka. Many people had to go to the hospital, at least here in Sweden. Some even died.

This is something I still occasionally do.  Usually before a concert if I'm super tired because that's a guarantee way to wake the fuck up  :lol

Quote from: ReaperKK on June 07, 2024, 06:16:03 AM

Actually never had the original ones that got you real messed up.  I had some since they modified it and it still did the job  :lol

ReaperKK

:lol, I'm a big fan of redbull vodka's

Stadler

Quote from: Zydar on June 07, 2024, 06:06:47 AM

My step son drinks Red Bulls and Monsters... I think my daughter does too.   That sickly sweet smell makes me gag.  It's like drinking antifreeze.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Stadler on June 07, 2024, 07:05:18 AM
My step son drinks Red Bulls and Monsters... I think my daughter does too.   That sickly sweet smell makes me gag.  It's like drinking antifreeze.

Do you state this from a place of experience?
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

El Barto

Quote from: jingle.boy on June 07, 2024, 07:31:30 AM
Do you state this from a place of experience?
You never work on your own cars?  :lol

(Anybody who's ever replaced a water pump or a thermostat knows exactly what antifreeze tastes like.)

El Barto

I drink a single diet soda a day, and I mix that with my regular drinking water. Never had an energy drink. Like someone else said, coffee works well enough for me (and I drink third-caff). Beyond that I'll grab a doughnut if it's late and I really need a boost. 

jingle.boy

Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Stadler

Quote from: El Barto on June 07, 2024, 08:27:10 AM
I drink a single diet soda a day, and I mix that with my regular drinking water. Never had an energy drink. Like someone else said, coffee works well enough for me (and I drink third-caff). Beyond that I'll grab a doughnut if it's late and I really need a boost.

How does that work?  Do you pour half soda, half water, or are you saying you will open a bottle and drink a glass, then have a glass of water, then later another glass of soda?   

I know through no real conscious decision I've cut way back on my alcohol intake.  I can literally count the drinks I've had in the last couple months on one hand and there have been two consequences: I've lost 30 pounds, and I drink a LOT more soda.  But I haven't had a full diet soda in two decades, easy (I tried during law school; one of my fellow students said "drink diet soda only for a week, and you'll never notice the aftertaste again". She lied.)

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on June 07, 2024, 08:48:21 AM
How does that work?  Do you pour half soda, half water, or are you saying you will open a bottle and drink a glass, then have a glass of water, then later another glass of soda?   

I know through no real conscious decision I've cut way back on my alcohol intake.  I can literally count the drinks I've had in the last couple months on one hand and there have been two consequences: I've lost 30 pounds, and I drink a LOT more soda.  But I haven't had a full diet soda in two decades, easy (I tried during law school; one of my fellow students said "drink diet soda only for a week, and you'll never notice the aftertaste again". She lied.)
Even the diet sodas are too sweet for me, honestly. I'll fill a giant tumbler with water and then top it off with flavoured soda. And it's probably more 2:1. I drink plain water at work, and flavoured water at home.

As for the aftertaste, it just depends on the sweetener and how much they use. I drink Clear American from Walmart and I don't taste the sweetener at all. Diet Pepsi, Coke, or Dr. Pepper all taste disgusting to me, despite using the same sweetner.

King Postwhore

We've been going 50/50 Caf/Decaf in our coffee.  I drink 0 Vitamin water made with Monk Fruit and at work I have Monk Fruit water enhancers. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Stadler

Quote from: El Barto on June 07, 2024, 08:57:05 AM
Even the diet sodas are too sweet for me, honestly. I'll fill a giant tumbler with water and then top it off with flavoured soda. And it's probably more 2:1. I drink plain water at work, and flavoured water at home.

As for the aftertaste, it just depends on the sweetener and how much they use. I drink Clear American from Walmart and I don't taste the sweetener at all. Diet Pepsi, Coke, or Dr. Pepper all taste disgusting to me, despite using the same sweetner.

So that's interesting.  I make my own soda, often.  I have one of those machines that adds the carbonation and you add syrup.  I add maybe a 10th of the suggested amount of syrup.  I make a ginger ale, and it's pretty much carbonated water with a splash of ginger flavoring.

I'm like you, most soda is far too sweet for me; I REALLY enjoy an ice-cold Coke Classic now and again, and I find the smaller 9oz cans are just about right; it'll make me feel queasy after if I drink too much.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on June 07, 2024, 09:57:17 AM
So that's interesting.  I make my own soda, often.  I have one of those machines that adds the carbonation and you add syrup.  I add maybe a 10th of the suggested amount of syrup.  I make a ginger ale, and it's pretty much carbonated water with a splash of ginger flavoring.

I'm like you, most soda is far too sweet for me; I REALLY enjoy an ice-cold Coke Classic now and again, and I find the smaller 9oz cans are just about right; it'll make me feel queasy after if I drink too much.
Yeah, I had a Sodastream for a while, but stopped buying refills for it for both ethical and practical reasons. And the truth is, at 69ยข/L the Clear American stuff is probably cheaper, and it's pretty tasty insofar as flavoured sodas go. It's also a lot easier. Lastly, I'll occasionally add a splash to a tumbler of wine to make a cheap, not so sweet wine cooler. Practical all the way around.

My indulgence in the sugary drinks category is iced tea, and even that I get half and half as restaurants down here put entirely too much sugar in their tea.

jingle.boy

Quote from: King Postwhore on June 07, 2024, 09:49:53 AM
We've been going 50/50 Caf/Decaf in our coffee.

It was a couple of years ago, after Bart posted about it, that I started cutting my coffee with decaf - I'm at about a 50/50 mix (I just eyeball it).  2 cups in the morning is now only one (caffeinated) cup.  I've also started cutting out the afternoon cup(s), unless I know I need to stay up late (like, when I was watching the Oil/Stars series).

King Postwhore

Coffee never keeps me up, but I haven't had a late night one in a while. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

jingle.boy

Quote from: King Postwhore on June 07, 2024, 10:49:07 AM
Coffee never keeps me up, but I haven't had a late night one in a while.

I had one at like 7pm a few months back, and my brain was trippin until nearly 3am.  I ran through a few weeks of very bad sleep, and decided I would try to scale back the afternoon caffeine.

Jamesman42

I drink coffee with a little milk and chocolate protein powder mixed in.

For lunch, I usually have a zero sugar Dr. Pepper.

I also occasionally have a zero sugar Gatorade. Those are way too sweet, so I usually dilute it with water after taking a few sips.
\o\ lol /o/