News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025

Started by MinistroRaven, April 08, 2024, 05:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efx, PMSummer and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: Stadler on August 19, 2024, 06:32:57 AMHuh, learn something new every day. I never would have guess the Bowl was that big; I would have put it at maybe a third of that size. 
yeah because oftentimes when I would listen to a live album that was recorded there I always tended to think so too because it often seemed to me that it would sound smaller than it actually is (if you get the idea, I don't know why I often had that impression but yes). Nice place to play though I'm sure
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

ZirconBlue

I'd say the band would probably rather play to a full lower arena than have people all spread out with many empty seats between them.  

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: Stadler on August 19, 2024, 06:32:57 AMHuh, learn something new every day. I never would have guess the Bowl was that big; I would have put it at maybe a third of that size. 
No. The Greek Theater is about 1/3 that size. The Bowl is pretty big.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

bosk1

Quote from: pg1067 on May 08, 2024, 09:33:54 AMYup...I feel the same way about guitar solos as I do about lyrics:  great lyrics or a great guitar solo can't turn an otherwise crappy song into a great song.  The corollary only really works with lyrics:  crappy lyrics can ruin an otherwise great song.

I'm struggling to come up with a great song that has a crappy solo.  I'm sure they must exist, but I can't think of one at the moment.  (and I don't care if I'm in the minority that wouldn't include the live version of Cemetery Gates with Dave Mustaine's solo--I think what Dave was going for worked just fine)

KevShmev

Quote from: Schurftkut on August 14, 2024, 09:01:06 AMperhaps promoters needing convincing to book bigger shows in NA? ticketsales were declining, so maybe first see how europe does before booking them.

I hadn't thought of that, but you never know.  I keep reading stories about bands who have historically been bigger draws than DT having to cancel dates or even whole tours due to lack of ticket sales, so booking dates across the country may not be as unchallenging (relatively speaking) as it used to be.

Of course, I say that and the dates will probably now drop by the end of the week.  :lol  :lol

brakkum

Quote from: KevShmev on August 19, 2024, 07:16:10 PMI hadn't thought of that, but you never know.  I keep reading stories about bands who have historically been bigger draws than DT having to cancel dates or even whole tours due to lack of ticket sales, so booking dates across the country may not be as unchallenging (relatively speaking) as it used to be.

Of course, I say that and the dates will probably now drop by the end of the week.  :lol  :lol

Fair, but DT has such a built in niche I feel like that won't be an issue. I feel like artists that have had that trouble are almost entirely mainstream artists trying to book arenas. But I may be wrong in that.

TAC

The Euro tour was announced 6 months out. If DT is touring the US in February...it's six months out now!!
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cramx3

Quote from: TAC on August 20, 2024, 12:48:54 PMThe Euro tour was announced 6 months out. If DT is touring the US in February...it's six months out now!!

I've only got one 2025 tour in my calendar so far.  It seems the US shows for next year haven't started coming out yet, hopefully soon. I'm still seeing new tours for the fall/end of 2024 being announced.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: TAC on August 20, 2024, 12:48:54 PMThe Euro tour was announced 6 months out. If DT is touring the US in February...it's six months out now!!
North American dates seem to be announced much closer to show time than Asia and Europe, so I wouldn't put much stock in that reasoning.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

TAC

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on August 20, 2024, 01:38:13 PMNorth American dates seem to be announced much closer to show time than Asia and Europe, so I wouldn't put much stock in that reasoning.

Yeah, ok..maybe you're right. I just checked and the first leg of the View tour was announced 4 months out.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

hefdaddy42

Comment to bring this thread back to the top, since it was actually created this year, not in 2010.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TheBarstoolWarrior

New post from MP. No new information but mentions that most of the shows are sold out if not close to selling out, so sounds like that's going really well for them.

Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

ReaperKK

I'll watch that once I get off my meeting but that is great news to hear, good for them :tup

brakkum

ytserush

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on August 30, 2024, 05:23:01 AMNew post from MP. No new information but mentions that most of the shows are sold out if not close to selling out, so sounds like that's going really well for them.

VIP upgrades?  Was the VIP package available previously? Just wondering what (if anything) was meant by that.

tuto

Jordan's most recent Instagram story has a screenshot of his Spotify app which contains an.....interesting to say the least "Now playing" section. Any particular reason he could be listening to THAT specific song? :corn  :metal  a man can only hope

TAC

Quote from: tuto on September 06, 2024, 01:28:04 PMJordan's most recent Instagram story has a screenshot of his Spotify app which contains an.....interesting to say the least "Now playing" section. Any particular reason he could be listening to THAT specific song? :corn  :metal  a man can only hope

What song?

brakkum

TAC

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

pg1067

I just checked his IG and have no idea what song tuto was talking about....  The only thing I saw was a quick scroll through the track list of JR's solo album.

brakkum

It's Octavarium, you can see it at the bottom of the screen. Of course, doesn't actually mean anything. Unless...

jonny108

TAC

Quote from: brakkum on September 06, 2024, 03:18:31 PM

It's Octavarium, you can see it at the bottom of the screen. Of course, doesn't actually mean anything. Unless...

...unless Johnny posts the same thing 15 minutes later.. :lol

Quote from: jonny108 on September 06, 2024, 03:35:40 PM

brakkum

My bad, I edited it to include the snapshot right before jonny posted :lol

Trav

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: Trav86 on September 06, 2024, 04:13:32 PMWell, that's his second Octavarium hint.

Agreed. I have conviction that it is happening. I am not at all displeased by this.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

EvantheMotel6Owmer

I am 99.9% sure we're getting Octavarium as the encore for this tour.

brakkum

Lonk

Don't get your hopes up. As it has been pointed out before, it wouldn't be the first time they practice or play a song before the tour but the song is not included in the setlist.

TheCountOfNYC

Quote from: Lonk on September 06, 2024, 07:13:34 PMDon't get your hopes up. As it has been pointed out before, it wouldn't be the first time they practice or play a song before the tour but the song is not included in the setlist.

True, but with MP back making the setlists, him having a history of trying to include songs that haven't been played in a while, and Octavarium having last been played in 2006, I'd say there's a higher chance than ever it's included. All I know is that if they do play it, they better keep it in the setlist when they make their way to NA.

Whitefish

It's hard to think of a more appropriate encore song for this tour. I really hope they do it.

countoftuscany42

Apropos of absolutely nothing, do we still have the SOON emoji?  :biggrin: