DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025

Started by MinistroRaven, April 08, 2024, 05:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonny108 and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

KevShmev

My DT fandom isn't what it used to be anyway (call it age, as my tastes have changed and mellowed out a bit), but I am pretty sure it would come to a screaming halt if Russell Allen ever became their singer.  That would be a hard pass for me.

HOF

Quote from: ZirconBlue on May 29, 2024, 07:29:16 AM

I think Ray's voice is great, but the vocal melodies I've heard from FW left me wanting.  Tooooo.  Maaaaaanyyyyy.  Loooooong. Noooooootes.  Iiiiiin.  Eeeeeeeevery.  Liiiiiiiiine.

Yeah, this seemed like more of a problem from about A Pleasant Shape of Gray onward.

MoraWintersoul

Not knocking on your strong opinions on Russell Allen, but I can't imagine who would have to sing in Dream Theater for my fandom to come for a screaming halt. If it were someone I vaguely dislike but who is a technically sound singer and can actually cover the range of Dream Theater songs, I'd still give them a shot. When I was asked by the universe if my fandom is brought to a screaming halt by James singing the way he does lately, I said "no" and bought tickets for shows in 2022 and 2024 knowing fully how he was going to sound, so :lol

Stadler

hefdaddy42

Russell Allen in DT is an awful, awful idea.  No thank you.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Adami

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on June 04, 2024, 09:38:27 AM
Russell Allen in DT is an awful, awful idea.  No thank you.

Indeed, and I love Russell.

You know what would be cool? A tribute to DT album with a bunch of the top people in the genre. That way we can hear what people like RA and so forth would sound like on a DT song without worrying about JLB being replaced.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

cramx3

We all know Devin Townsend has the goods to do the job (I don't think he would want it though)

Metro

cramx3

Quote from: Metro on June 04, 2024, 11:16:51 AM
He wouldn't want it, and I wouldn't want him to.

Me neither, and I generally would think, most of the known singers probably wouldn't even want the job.  It's a demanding singing spot.  I'd guess they'd more likely find an unknown or lesser known person who would be willing to do the DT grind for personal exposure than someone already established.

Glasser

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on June 04, 2024, 09:01:01 AM
Not knocking on your strong opinions on Russell Allen, but I can't imagine who would have to sing in Dream Theater for my fandom to come for a screaming halt. If it were someone I vaguely dislike but who is a technically sound singer and can actually cover the range of Dream Theater songs, I'd still give them a shot. When I was asked by the universe if my fandom is brought to a screaming halt by James singing the way he does lately, I said "no" and bought tickets for shows in 2022 and 2024 knowing fully how he was going to sound, so :lol

I went to DreamSonic not because of DT, but because that was a great lineup.

Getting to hear Devin sing TSCO was an epic moment, as well as Tosin playing along as well.

Regardless of JLBs vocals I still had a great time. I jammed out and sang along. It was more than just seeing my favorite bands, it was the experience of the show, and Dream Theater shows are about the songs for me, which I don't care if JLB sounded bad, I love the songs enough to sing along to them.

I even did the same when I saw them opening for Maiden. Although the set was like a singles set, I still had a blast.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: Adami on June 04, 2024, 11:08:38 AM
Indeed, and I love Russell.

You know what would be cool? A tribute to DT album with a bunch of the top people in the genre. That way we can hear what people like RA and so forth would sound like on a DT song without worrying about JLB being replaced.

That is an amazing idea. Honestly, if DT are the pioneers of Progressive Metal, why hasn't this been done.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: cramx3 on June 04, 2024, 11:19:51 AM
Me neither, and I generally would think, most of the known singers probably wouldn't even want the job.  It's a demanding singing spot.  I'd guess they'd more likely find an unknown or lesser known person who would be willing to do the DT grind for personal exposure than someone already established.

Imagine Mike Mills doing Learning to Live.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Adami

Quote from: TAC on June 04, 2024, 07:35:06 PM
Wow, that's quite a lineup. :lol

Yea......guess I was thinking less bands, specifically obscure bands, doing covers but groups of less obscure prog people getting together.

Like Burning my Soup with Tony McAlpine, Billy Sheehan, whomever on drums and keys and Devin on vox. Etc.

Metro

Quote from: Adami on June 04, 2024, 07:42:57 PM
Like Burning my Soup with Tony McAlpine, Billy Sheehan, whomever on drums and keys and Devin on vox. Etc.

don't burn the soup

Adami

Ben_Jamin

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on June 04, 2024, 08:24:14 PM
:lol

That's too obscure.

More like those more known bands that some consider DT clones. Like Circus Maximus.  :lol
Back around that time Empty Tremor was a fairly known band on the Ytsejam mailing list. Can't speak for the others. But you never specified that they had to be better known!   :biggrin:
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on June 04, 2024, 09:17:52 PM
Back around that time Empty Tremor was a fairly known band on the Ytsejam mailing list. Can't speak for the others. But you never specified that they had to be better known!   :biggrin:

Yeah, should've specified more known bands besides these obscure bands that only Ytsejam mailing list members know of.... :lol

crystalstars17

I don't even know why this conversation (about replacement singers) is even still going on.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

Adami

Quote from: crystalstars17 on June 05, 2024, 05:16:47 AM
I don't even know why this conversation (about replacement singers) is even still going on.

To be fair, I think now we're talking about a DT tribute album. Not replacements. I think that would be cool, however unlikely.

Glasser

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on June 04, 2024, 09:17:52 PM

Empty Tremor and Arkhe were great DT worship bands. A lot of bands from Italy came out known as the Italian Dreamers.

cramx3

TheHoveringSojourn808

It'd be interesting to see what Ozzy Osbourne could muster in DT but I think JLB is the only singer for me when it comes to the band

cramx3

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on June 04, 2024, 06:53:31 PM
That is an amazing idea. Honestly, if DT are the pioneers of Progressive Metal, why hasn't this been done.

Just started thinking about this.  Maybe because DT are so technical that bands don't want to touch it?  Like I'm sure there's plenty of bands that can play the music, but would they be able to do it justice?  Would they be able to put their own spin on it?  Also, who would be interested in such a thing beyond some of us DT nerds?  Are there DT cover songs already out there from established bands?

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: cramx3 on June 05, 2024, 11:57:21 AM
:lol  are you actually familiar with this release?
I never grabbed it. Didn't interest me. But I remember when it came out and the discussions about it.  ;)

Quote from: cramx3 on June 05, 2024, 12:32:30 PM
Just started thinking about this.  Maybe because DT are so technical that bands don't want to touch it?  Like I'm sure there's plenty of bands that can play the music, but would they be able to do it justice?  Would they be able to put their own spin on it?  Also, who would be interested in such a thing beyond some of us DT nerds?  Are there DT cover songs already out there from established bands?
Part of it is probably because the tribute thing had been done to death. Magna Crapa did a lot of them, and there were plenty of others done in the late 90s and early 00s, so it was probably just a matter of over saturating the market and/or it became a trend that just faded away.

nobloodyname

Quote from: nobloodyname on June 02, 2024, 05:30:44 AM
In a strange turn of events, I am considering going to the Berlin, Milan or Rome show. Or possibly the one in Koln. Anyone have any experience of the venues in question, please?

Anyone? :biggrin:
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

MirrorMask

Quote from: nobloodyname on June 05, 2024, 11:13:39 PM
Anyone? :biggrin:

Milan is a nice enough venue, it's a place Iron Maiden sell out in a day and a half when they play there. Big sporting arena, basketball teams play there. Sound decent enough. It's the terminal of the subway so you're guaranteed a ride back with the subway to whatever part of Milan you'll chose to stay.

nobloodyname

"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

DreamerTV

Quote from: MirrorMask on June 06, 2024, 12:12:16 AM
Milan is a nice enough venue, it's a place Iron Maiden sell out in a day and a half when they play there. Big sporting arena, basketball teams play there. Sound decent enough. It's the terminal of the subway so you're guaranteed a ride back with the subway to whatever part of Milan you'll chose to stay.

They actually opened part of the second tier for the DT concert a couple of days ago.
I think it's going to sold out for them as well - not as fast as for Maiden though :P

twosuitsluke

I'm just catching up with this thread, as I'm seriously considering getting tickets for London. They are a bit pricey but I found, what looks like, decent seats for £88. I've never actually seen DT live, and what with this being the 40th Anniversary Tour and Portnoy being back in the band, there's never going to be an opportunity like this.

So, DTF, who from the UK is going to be there and are we doing a DTF meet up before the show?
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.