What kind of live release do you think will come from the 40th anniversary tour?

Started by brakkum, June 01, 2024, 12:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chino

Fingers crossed for a one-off Astonishing performance for a live recording.   

On a serious note, I'd like to see an official release from a place like Chile or something. I want a crowd that's going absolutely ape shit the entire time. How the band makes any money off it is beyond me. I can't imagine Blu-ray sales would be enough to offset the cost of filming a show these days, and they'd probably only sell a few thousand live albums if the performance is also available on Spotify and the like. Maybe they'll do something online and live. I remember during Covid, I paid something like $20 for an exclusive online concert from Steel Panther. 

brakkum

Quote from: Chino on June 05, 2024, 08:44:29 AM

Honestly I'm still miffed there isn't a professional video recording of these shows, it was really well done

cramx3

I'm sure that's effectively gone to 0.001% now, sucks. That tour deserved more than to be thrown into the abyss.

gzarruk

I'm just hoping for a LNFA live audio release, and even that seems far from happening.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: cramx3 on June 12, 2024, 09:49:42 AM
I'm sure that's effectively gone to 0.001% now, sucks. That tour deserved more than to be thrown into the abyss.
I fear you are overestimating the chances.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Dream Team

On a serious note, I'd like to see an official release from a place like Chile or something. I want a crowd that's going absolutely ape shit the entire time. How the band makes any money off it is beyond me. I can't imagine Blu-ray sales would be enough to offset the cost of filming a show these days, and they'd probably only sell a few thousand live albums if the performance is also available on Spotify and the like. Maybe they'll do something online and live. I remember during Covid, I paid something like $20 for an exclusive online concert from Steel Panther.

If every one of their fans worldwide bought the DVD/Bluray they would profit. But everyone wants everything free these days.

Trav

I'm hoping for a digital video release. So far the only one is Luna Park. I don't use physical media anymore.

Stadler

Quote from: Trav86 on June 13, 2024, 04:24:59 AM
I'm hoping for a digital video release. So far the only one is Luna Park. I don't use physical media anymore.

Both, since I don't stream.

Awaken

Really is a shame that we never got a live release for this tour.  Say what you want about the album, the production was phenomenal on this tour as was the performance (at least in CT)

Stadler

Quote from: Awaken on June 13, 2024, 07:06:28 AM
Really is a shame that we never got a live release for this tour.  Say what you want about the album, the production was phenomenal on this tour as was the performance (at least in CT)

Agreed.  We can debate WHAT they nailed, but I don't think it's up for debate that they nailed it.

cramx3

Quote from: Stadler on June 13, 2024, 06:54:15 AM
Both, since I don't stream.

Yeah, I still want a blu ray with surround sound.  Nothing beats watching a well made concert on blu ray in my basement other than actually being there.

Adami

Quote from: cramx3 on June 13, 2024, 08:17:46 AM
Yeah, I still want a blu ray with surround sound.  Nothing beats watching a well made concert on blu ray in my basement other than actually being there.

Yea. I often watch stuff on youtube if I find it, but if I have a desire to watch a concert, I always want a blu ray (or DVD if necessary).
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

brakkum

Bring back the commentary tracks too, I just rewatched some of those recently and goddamn are they funny/educational

Chino

Quote from: brakkum on June 13, 2024, 09:35:22 AM
Bring back the commentary tracks too, I just rewatched some of those recently and goddamn are they funny/educational

This, and some BTS stuff as well. I think it's the Live in Tokyo DVD that's got a lot of footage from the studio, the bus, and just wandering around Japan. I wouldn't mind seeing a cool segment about the crew,  logistics, and setting up the stage as well, if possible

cramx3

Quote from: Chino on June 13, 2024, 11:53:49 AM
This, and some BTS stuff as well. I think it's the Live in Tokyo DVD that's got a lot of footage from the studio, the bus, and just wandering around Japan. I wouldn't mind seeing a cool segment about the crew,  logistics, and setting up the stage as well, if possible

I think it's possible if we got a behind the scenes look, it will just be them eating a nice dinner  :lol

I would enjoy a touring logistics bonus documentary. 

gzarruk

Quote from: cramx3 on June 13, 2024, 12:05:46 PM
I think it's possible if we got a behind the scenes look, it will just be them eating a nice dinner  :lol

Didn't they do that for LALP? :lol

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: brakkum on June 13, 2024, 09:35:22 AM
I doubt they will, but I couldn't agree more! One of the highlights of a lot of the videos MP did with and without DT.

Quote from: gzarruk on June 13, 2024, 12:57:44 PM
Didn't they do that for LALP? :lol
Did they? If so, I never watched it! Somehow I don't think it would be anywhere near as entertaining as the one done for the Rush documentary.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

Mosh

Yea I remember there being a pretty generic doc that was like a day in the life kinda thing for LALP. I feel like that was the last gasp of them trying to maintain the Portnoy levels of BTS content in the Mangini era.  :lol

pg1067

Disc 2 includes a "documentary" with the following tracks:

1. Intro/Recap
2. Dinner in Buenos Aires (quite a mouth-watering segment:  https://youtu.be/VijVTCSEaMo?si=xuGKy9Mq2dlJTJHu )
3. Soundcheck
4. Pre-Show Rituals
5. The Show Goes On
TOTAL length about 25 minutes

And "bonus features":

1. Trailer
2. Behind the Scenes
3. Cartoon Intro

jimgolf

Seeing Mangini there again with the guys was definitely a mixture of feelings. I love that Portnoy is back in the band, but I had really come to like Mangini a lot as a musician and a person. He always seemed really nice to the fans and passionate about the music he worked on. I got a chance to meet him at a meet and greet, and even though it's only a short time, he was really conversational and nice to myself and everyone else there.

TAC

Quote from: jimgolf on June 16, 2024, 05:12:46 PM
Seeing Mangini there again with the guys was definitely a mixture of feelings. I love that Portnoy is back in the band, but I had really come to like Mangini a lot as a musician and a person. He always seemed really nice to the fans and passionate about the music he worked on. I got a chance to meet him at a meet and greet, and even though it's only a short time, he was really conversational and nice to myself and everyone else there.

100%
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

crystalstars17

Quote from: jimgolf on June 16, 2024, 05:12:46 PM

Agreeing, at our meet and greet he was the most lively and outgoing.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

MarceloMalulo

They have to record here in Chile! They have two dates booked in an arena, which probably are going to be sold out from here to december. It would be a dream for me to be part of a DT live DVD, hope they do it! I will express it to them on their social networks haha

Architeuthis

Zook

They need to film in a country with a crazy crowd and not turn them all the way down for the official release. And they need to perform the 12 Step Suite.

TheBarstoolWarrior

Now I am wondering if we are getting a 40th anniversary tour live release if they're only going to play a single on it. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a live release of the tour that supports the new record?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

brakkum

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on June 20, 2024, 05:43:48 AM
Now I am wondering if we are getting a 40th anniversary tour live release if they're only going to play a single on it. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a live release of the tour that supports the new record?

I feel like this is such a big tour (40th, MP return) they might go for a release anyways, especially since there wasn't on for the View tour.

gzarruk

Stadler

I get the nature of the bands are very different, but we pretty much have at least one document - sometimes more - of every Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Neal Morse, and Winery Dogs album/tour cycle, don't we?

Not for nothing, but I see a lot of suggestions on Facebook that make me cringe, but one I haven't seen:  DT at Morsefest! 2025!!!

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Stadler on June 20, 2024, 07:27:09 AM
Not for nothing, but I see a lot of suggestions on Facebook that make me cringe, but one I haven't seen:  DT at Morsefest! 2025!!!
No thank you
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

cramx3

Quote from: TAC on June 20, 2024, 07:55:43 AM
Speaking of cringe...

:lol we agree on something!

Yeah I think so, which would suck if that meant no Chile concert because honestly, those videos have the best crowds for DT and deserve it.  Although, maybe, since those shows are in December, another single or two may be out and the show South America gets has more than just one new song? 

The only other thing I would want, to ne selfish, would be a local show filmed so I can be there. But they've done NYC enough so it hardly makes sense.

TAC

I want a live release that...wait for it...SOUNDS LIVE!

This is one thing that I can point to that was a major change after MP left, and not for the better.

The crowd loop on LALP, not to mention the studio sounding music.
On BTFW, the crowd level is obnoxiously raised and lowered ad nauseum, not to mention the subbed in studio orchestra section in IT.
On DM, the vocal effects are kind of distracting.
I don't trust or even like DT live albums anymore, where I used to think that was a strength to them.

Even the LNF releases are kind of a clusterfuck. The 2017 Tokyo show....each set sold as its own album, and nowhere is ACOS. Even Live at Wacken is missing a song.

If JP is going to be producing the studio albums, then MP should be put in charge of all live releases.

brakkum

Quote from: TAC on June 20, 2024, 08:08:15 AM
If JP is going to be producing the studio albums, then MP should be out in charge of all live releases.

I think most people would prefer this, given his collector tendencies