News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

What kind of live release do you think will come from the 40th anniversary tour?

Started by brakkum, June 01, 2024, 12:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TAC on June 27, 2024, 08:26:30 AM
They're not taking up 20 minutes of set time on a song that they played on the duration of the last tour.
I hope you're right.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Mosh

I really enjoyed TCOT on the first leg of the View tour. It was a great addition of a somewhat rare track that I would bet many folks (including myself) hadn't heard live before. I was less excited about it on DreamSonic and wish they would have kept View instead. At the time I kinda assumed that song would never get played again after the initial touring, now I am even more sure of that. So it's kind of a bummer it didn't remain on the setlist for the entire View touring cycle.

Additionally, now Count of Tuscany has the distinction of being one of the only big epics that got played on multiple tours with Mangini. Compare that to:

A Change of Seasons - Only played on one tour
Octavarium - Never played
Six Degrees - Never played in full
In the Presence of Enemies  - Never played in full
In the Name of God - Never played

This is the sort of thing Portnoy historically paid attention to when building setlists and I hope he still does. Honestly I will be really surprised if it makes the setlist.

Pettor

I really feel it's 8V time. That song is a fan favourite and only been played on one tour. You can't make a song like that and play it once. It's time!

geeeemo

TAC

Quote from: geeeemo on June 27, 2024, 01:41:26 PM
Is it possible to get Octavarium, TBoT and..ItNoG in one show??

Maybe on this first leg, but not on the actual album leg. That's a lot of time devoted to three songs, and once the album is released, they're going to want to play the new epic.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

KevShmev

Quote from: gzarruk on June 27, 2024, 10:09:45 AM
Not happening for this tour at all, but I can see some weird alternate future where they play a MM epic medley with half IT and half A View. Is that too crazy to ask for? :lol

I'd be surprised to see medleys.  Knowing how much Petrucci hates them, I can see there having been a let's meet in the middle moment where Petrucci was like, "Okay, Mike, you can write the set lists again, but NO medleys!" 

Pettor

Quote from: KevShmev on June 27, 2024, 05:46:51 PM
I'd be surprised to see medleys.  Knowing how much Petrucci hates them, I can see there having been a let's meet in the middle moment where Petrucci was like, "Okay, Mike, you can write the set lists again, but NO medleys!"

Didn't know this. Has JP stated that he doesn't like them? Overall I can agree but Instrumedley is amazing! The Live at Budokan performance is legendary.

Also realized I want to hear MP play Breaking All Illusions. It's arguably the best song they written during the MM era and not that isn't any good captures already, it's just high on the list of songs that they need to include from that era. Hearing MP's take on it would be really fun!

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: Pettor on June 27, 2024, 11:35:18 PM
Didn't know this. Has JP stated that he doesn't like them?
Yes. It's actually a well known fact, so a bit surprising that you didn't know about it. He's even got a song about hating "medley schmedleys" when Rush (his favorite band) does them.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

Mosh

I think JLB said that MP asked everybody about songs they definitely do or don't want to play.

I also assume JP has veto power over any setlist decisions.

crystalstars17

Quote from: Mosh on June 28, 2024, 07:18:01 AM
I think JLB said that MP asked everybody about songs they definitely do or don't want to play.

I also assume JP has veto power over any setlist decisions.

I would sincerely hope that they all have veto power. Perhaps especially James.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

hefdaddy42

Quote from: crystalstars17 on June 28, 2024, 07:37:26 AM
I thought that was implied by the "definitely don't want" submissions.  That's their individual veto.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

crystalstars17

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on June 28, 2024, 07:38:43 AM
I thought that was implied by the "definitely don't want" submissions.  That's their individual veto.

👌
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

ytserush

Quote from: brakkum on June 12, 2024, 09:26:05 AM
Honestly I'm still miffed there isn't a professional video recording of these shows, it was really well done

You're not the only one. That was Dream Theater's Caress of Steel Tour. That show demands to be documented somehow.

ytserush

ytserush

Quote from: cramx3 on June 20, 2024, 10:24:28 AM
Nah, looked the same as a typical US crowd to me.  Just sucks for the filming of the DVD, DT can't get the audience to show some life.  It really only seems like South America gets wild for DT.

South America goes wild for everyone. It's a cultural asset.

ytserush

Quote from: The Letter M on June 24, 2024, 10:05:42 PM
Didn't realize it was hard to find these days. I looked back in my email and saw that I ordered thr 1BD+3CD set of BTFW back in late December of 2015 when I pre-ordered the Deluxe bundle of The Astonishing from Roadrunner Records. It cost me $50 at the time, well over a year after it originally released as well. I think at the time I was amazed RR still had it in stock, or I guess I got lucky.

-Marc.

Hmm. For some reason the CDs managed to elude me. Only got the DVDs. Don't know why. Have the Artbook For Live at Luna Park but not this. Something else to add to the list I guess.

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: crystalstars17 on June 28, 2024, 07:37:26 AM

I can imagine that no one is going to be forced into playing something they do not feel comfortable performing. A good question is how confident is James that he can execute any of the songs that are proposed. Maybe they suggest something and he thinks 'yeah it's fine' when it's not really the best choice...I could see that scenario happening but yeah, don't think any adult in the room is going to get roped into a song they do not think they can do.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

TAC

Right. James vetoed Revelations (Mother Earth) way back when.

I have more than enough faith that MP will do whatever he feels he needs to help James through the set.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

The Letter M

Quote from: TAC on July 03, 2024, 05:49:28 PM

I have more than enough faith that MP will do whatever he feels he needs to help James through the set.

Part of me feels like this would include extended jams and/or playing more instrumentals, or perhaps a brand new "Instrumedley".

-Marc.

KevShmev

I would think a 25-minute version of Build Me Up, Break Me Down is something for which we can all get on board.

TheHoveringSojourn808

hefdaddy42

Quote from: KevShmev on July 04, 2024, 07:39:37 AM
I would think a 25-minute version of Build Me Up, Break Me Down is something for which we can all get on board.
No

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 04, 2024, 07:53:25 AM
45 minute jammed out Octavarium
No

TheHoveringSojourn808

Dream Team

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 08, 2024, 02:25:01 PM
Why?

Because that would use up 30% of the set, and it's supposed to be a 40th ANNIVERSARY tour so that means celebrating MANY songs, not 1.

ReaperKK

I wouldn't mind seeing Octavarium if they only played "Someone Like Him" and "Medicate", the song nosedives after that

Stadler

Quote from: Dream Team on July 09, 2024, 06:00:08 AM
Because that would use up 30% of the set, and it's supposed to be a 40th ANNIVERSARY tour so that means celebrating MANY songs, not 1.

Plus, it's not a song that lends itself to extrapolation in my mind (unless you were to play snippets of the songs mentioned in the circular part).

TheOutlawXanadu

Quote from: TAC on July 03, 2024, 05:49:28 PM

Just a random thought, but maybe they could do an Instrumedley 2.0 or something as a kind of second intermission for James to rest up...

hefdaddy42

TheHoveringSojourn808

hefdaddy42

Chino

Quote from: Dream Team on July 09, 2024, 06:00:08 AM

And we already got a recording of it with an orchestra at the 20 year show. I'd prefer something different as well.

cramx3

I'd like Octavarium to come back, but the song is long enough and adding a jam in that song makes little sense.  If the band added a jam in another song I think that would be cool though.