Blind Faith just might be JR's best studio song with DT

Started by Jamesman42, July 09, 2024, 05:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamesman42

I'm giving Six Degrees a listen and I forgot how much atmosphere JR gives this song. The ambience in the intro with the high notes twinkling around and is something I wish he did more. The instrumental contains some of his best moments, when the piano halts the rocking section and just takes up some beautiful space, then leading into some nice choral tones, then into a very cool organ solo.

Maybe I am forgetting other songs I might hold to a higher degree (a 7th degree, perhaps?  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:). What is his best studio song with DT? I'm a SFAM hater, so if you think it's something from there, mention a non-SFAM song as well.
\o\ lol /o/

WilliamMunny

I might be with you there... it's at least in my top-3.

Jamesman42

This also has to be JR's best album. I am a big fan of lots of atmosphere in my prog metal, and he delivers it in spades on this album. I know, nothing groundbreaking, but worth mentioning in this thread.

\o\ lol /o/

Puppies_On_Acid

This is why I like Richard Barbieri in Porcupine Tree so much. He brings tons of great atmosphere without the wanky solos.
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

HOF

I agree this is one of JR's most effective performances. It's closer to what DS did in the band really.

Dream Team

Can't argue with you, he's awesome on every song. Maybe the MVP of the album.

hunnus2000

The biggest thing I noticed on BF is that he incorporated the choir patch. Is this the first time we've heard that? I agree, excellent work!  :metal

Edited to include the choir patch

WilliamMunny

Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 09, 2024, 05:49:11 PM
I'm giving Six Degrees a listen and I forgot how much atmosphere JR gives this song. The ambience in the intro with the high notes twinkling around and is something I wish he did more. The instrumental contains some of his best moments, when the piano halts the rocking section and just takes up some beautiful space, then leading into some nice choral tones, then into a very cool organ solo.

Maybe I am forgetting other songs I might hold to a higher degree (a 7th degree, perhaps?  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:). What is his best studio song with DT? I'm a SFAM hater, so if you think it's something from there, mention a non-SFAM song as well.

Appreciate this thread–inspired me to listen to 6D this morning and it really hit the spot :metal

cramx3

Blind Faith has always been a top DT song for me, but honestly it's more so because of MP's drumming on that one that captivated me.  Not a knock on JR, just my opinion that MP won this song over for me personally. 

Jamesman42

Quote from: WilliamMunny on July 10, 2024, 10:34:34 AM
Appreciate this thread–inspired me to listen to 6D this morning and it really hit the spot :metal

:metal
\o\ lol /o/

Lonk

When we did the top100 thread, BF came at #7 for me. Just a great composition all throughout and I agree, JR did a great job with it.

ytserush

Lax

Blind faith is a masterpiece !
From the sounds that makes us travel through decades (I love the chorus big sound that makes me think of type o negative too), the piano section, the instrumental section...
I love everything they did on that song :)
The bridge before the solos and then the unison, aaaah

Progmaniac1988

Blind faith has always been one of my favs! Six Degrees sits firmly in my top 3 DT albums of all time. I felt the whole band brought their A game. I'd say it's one of Portnoy's best too. The entire rhythm section on the great debate is fantastic.

El Barto

I wouldn't say so, but if people think it's his best studio work I wouldn't argue with them. I just always thought it was the weakest link on an otherwise great album, so it's the one that gets skipped every time.

What I feel rather strongly about is that it's his worst live song. If it's his best studio song it's not surprising that it would also be his worst live song. It makes sense. I've yet to hear a live version where he was even remotely listenable, honestly.

Jamesman42

Quote from: El Barto on July 25, 2024, 09:25:25 AMI wouldn't say so, but if people think it's his best studio work I wouldn't argue with them. I just always thought it was the weakest link on an otherwise great album, so it's the one that gets skipped every time.

What I feel rather strongly about is that it's his worst live song. If it's his best studio song it's not surprising that it would also be his worst live song. It makes sense. I've yet to hear a live version where he was even remotely listenable, honestly.
I do find BF to overall be the weak link as well, a fine song but the least good on the album, even with JR shining imo.

Curious what song you like most by JR is, studio and/or live.
\o\ lol /o/

cramx3

Quote from: El Barto on July 25, 2024, 09:25:25 AMI wouldn't say so, but if people think it's his best studio work I wouldn't argue with them. I just always thought it was the weakest link on an otherwise great album, so it's the one that gets skipped every time.

I know it's on CM live album which generally sounds terrible, but is there another version?  I never saw it live myself.

Dream Team

I assume we're still talking JR and not JLB . . . yes Jordan does have a tendency to overplay those cool piano parts live. It's like he can't help himself.

wgrio

Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 09, 2024, 05:49:11 PMI'm giving Six Degrees a listen and I forgot how much atmosphere JR gives this song. The ambience in the intro with the high notes twinkling around and is something I wish he did more. The instrumental contains some of his best moments, when the piano halts the rocking section and just takes up some beautiful space, then leading into some nice choral tones, then into a very cool organ solo.

I completely agree about Jordan Rudess's atmosphere in "Six Degrees"! His instrumental sections are amazing.

As for his best studio song with DT, I think "The Count of Tuscany" is a strong contender. His piano solo is iconic! If you don't like SFAM, "The Ministry of Lost Souls" is another great option. His keyboard work is emotive and complements the heavy riffs nicely.

El Barto

Quote from: cramx3 on July 25, 2024, 10:27:15 AMI know it's on CM live album which generally sounds terrible, but is there another version?  I never saw it live myself.
Bonus disk from Bucharest, which, being my favourite of the live shows, kind of bums me out. And I've seen it at least once live. Honestly, I thought I'd seen it more than that, but I suspect the CM thing really just ruined me on the song altogether.

El Barto

Quote from: Dream Team on July 25, 2024, 10:29:10 AMI assume we're still talking JR and not JLB . . . yes Jordan does have a tendency to overplay those cool piano parts live. It's like he can't help himself.
Depends on who you're referring to. I was talking about JLB. You'll rarely hear me say anything bad about Rudess.

cramx3

Quote from: El Barto on July 25, 2024, 12:23:25 PMBonus disk from Bucharest, which, being my favourite of the live shows, kind of bums me out. And I've seen it at least once live. Honestly, I thought I'd seen it more than that, but I suspect the CM thing really just ruined me on the song altogether.

Ah I have that too, but it's been forever since watching it.  The bucharest show is pretty awesome from what I recall, not specifically to this song though.

Lax

Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 25, 2024, 09:34:49 AMI do find BF to overall be the weak link as well, a fine song but the least good on the album, even with JR shining imo.

Curious what song you like most by JR is, studio and/or live.
I guess it's really a matter of taste, because on this CD, I find misunderstood, the great debate and disappear weaker.

crystalstars17

This is the one album I haven't been able to get into. Aside from the few songs they've done live recently, it just hasn't stuck. I find the album itself pedantic **ducks flying projectiles** and the live footage from around that time does nothing for me, it's like a black hole era of their music for me.

But the reviews here of Jordan's contribution make me think I need to give it another chance at some point, if for no other reason than that (and that said, I still love his work on Octavarium and the later albums best).
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

Dream Team

Quote from: El Barto on July 25, 2024, 12:24:44 PMDepends on who you're referring to. I was talking about JLB. You'll rarely hear me say anything bad about Rudess.

Ah that explains the confusion. The OP started the thread about Rudess, but I inferred from your remarks you meant James.

CraftyCaleb2483

Quote from: El Barto on July 25, 2024, 12:24:44 PMYou'll rarely hear me say anything bad about Rudess.
Probably the most consistently awesome member of the band
"Frustration is frustratingly frustrating."
"From experience, I know that a squishy ripe mango is about as squishy as a ripe mango."

brakkum

Quote from: Caleb on July 26, 2024, 11:00:45 AMProbably the most consistently awesome member of the band

My nerd-boner for JM would like a word with you

El Barto

Quote from: Dream Team on July 26, 2024, 10:53:56 AMAh that explains the confusion. The OP started the thread about Rudess, but I inferred from your remarks you meant James.
Holy Cow! So much for reading comprehension. I read it as JLB, and was honestly baffled at how somebody thought that, and then how the discussion turned to JR. :lol

That said, I still think it's the weak link, by a wide margin, on an otherwise superb album. Everything else is so wonderfully moody and/or atmospheric. BF is just the straight ahead rocker, and isn't a great example from their catalogue. And again, JLB, who does a great job on the rest of the album (something else I'd rarely say). That said, JP's solo is fantastic. Like he was really going old-school.