News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

What kind of live release do you think will come from the 40th anniversary tour?

Started by brakkum, June 01, 2024, 12:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chino

I'd love to see it as part of the main set as well. It's probably been close to 20 years since I last saw it live. But if one of the shows gets filmed, I wouldn't mind seeing it swapped out that evening for the sake of filming. It certainly doesn't need a jam. If anything, I'd say shave four minutes off the intro and play a ballad instead.

cramx3

Quote from: Chino on July 09, 2024, 11:15:13 AM
I'd love to see it as part of the main set as well. It's probably been close to 20 years since I last saw it live. But if one of the shows gets filmed, I wouldn't mind seeing it swapped out that evening for the sake of filming. It certainly doesn't need a jam. If anything, I'd say shave four minutes off the intro and play a ballad instead.

Yeah, if they bring it out, I'd rather them cut that intro down a bunch. I'd totally rather see another shorter song in its place.

Kram

Quote from: cramx3 on July 09, 2024, 11:16:17 AM
Yeah, if they bring it out, I'd rather them cut that intro down a bunch. I'd totally rather see another shorter song in its place.
Agreed. Cut the intro down then play the rest in full.

crystalstars17

No, do not cut the intro. Not everyone was there 20 years ago to see this live.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

WilliamMunny

Quote from: crystalstars17 on July 10, 2024, 04:13:14 AM

Exactly! When else will I have a moment to hit the bathroom?!?!?!?  ;D

Dream Team

Imagine listening to that crazy jam section in the middle of Octavarium and then thinking "you know what this song could use? A freaky jam session". Anyway, yes, cutting the intro down would be fine.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: crystalstars17 on July 10, 2024, 04:13:14 AM
I DID see it live 20 years ago, and nothing should be cut.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

ReaperKK

OpenYourEyes311

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on July 10, 2024, 05:20:33 AM
I DID see it live 20 years ago, and nothing should be cut.

Same. Saw the last three times it was played. It was perfect every time. Give that to me again!

pg1067

Quote from: Kram on July 09, 2024, 11:36:16 AM
Quote from: cramx3 on July 09, 2024, 11:16:17 AM

Agreed. Cut the intro down then play the rest in full.

Concur.  The intro - particularly the extended live version from Score - is dreadfully boring.  That said, if the song is in the set as an encore, I can't imagine them coming out and just jumping into the main part of the song.

Quote from: ReaperKK on July 09, 2024, 06:03:33 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Octavarium if they only played "Someone Like Him" and "Medicate", the song nosedives after that

Wow...I've never heard this take.  AFAIC, the half of the song starting with JR's synth solo is many, many orders of magnitude better than the first half.

crystalstars17

Quote from: pg1067 on July 10, 2024, 10:53:53 AM
The intro - particularly the extended live version from Score - is dreadfully boring. 

It is literally the very thing that made me a fan...
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

mariner

Quote from: Pettor on June 27, 2024, 01:40:23 PM
I really feel it's 8V time. That song is a fan favourite and only been played on one tour. You can't make a song like that and play it once. It's time!

i agree - 20th anniversary of the record this tour.

TheHoveringSojourn808

My guess is there won't be a live release until several legs in next year after the setlist has been updated to include all the new songs from the forthcoming album. I would bet they release a live album with more than just 1 new song, is what I mean

WilliamMunny

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 11, 2024, 09:41:08 AM
My guess is there won't be a live release until several legs in next year after the setlist has been updated to include all the new songs from the forthcoming album. I would bet they release a live album with more than just 1 new song, is what I mean

Yeah, this was my thought as well.

gzarruk

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 11, 2024, 09:41:08 AM

I expect this for the "main" live release for sure, but I can see them releasing an earlier show through the LNFA at some point IF those ever come back :-\

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: gzarruk on July 11, 2024, 10:33:40 AM
I expect this for the "main" live release for sure, but I can see them releasing an earlier show through the LNFA at some point IF those ever come back :-\

:tup