News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

Nightwish...

Started by AwakeFromOctavarium, December 09, 2009, 06:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosk1

Quote from: Fiery Winds on November 10, 2011, 12:55:16 AMTell me I'm not the only one that hears Master Passion Greed throughout the verses.

Totally.  Except that Master Passion Greed overall sucked as a song.  This doesn't.  I like it.

cramx3

This song is pretty awesome.  I agree it doesn't display much power from Annette's voice, but the song sounds more tailored to her voice.  Also I definitely hear some Master Passion Greed, but while I didnt like that song much, I do like this song.

faemir

Does anyone else listen to Dark Passion Play, only to turn it off after track one because it's better than the rest of the album combined?

jingle.boy

Nope... I actually like the entire album.  I think it's got a lot of solid tracks.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

bosk1

Quote from: faemir on November 12, 2011, 06:52:38 PM
Does anyone else listen to Dark Passion Play, only to turn it off after track one because it's better than the rest of the album combined?

If you mean, "Does anyone else listen to Dark Passion Play, only to turn it off after track one because it is so bad it makes you forget the album actually has lots of pretty good stuff later on," then yes.

Pols Voice

The only tracks on DPP that I don't like are Master Passion Greed and Whoever Brings the Night.

fadetoblackdude7

DPP is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time, I think it's a front-to-back masterpiece.

Perpetual Change

Quote from: bosk1 on November 12, 2011, 10:32:26 PM

If you mean, "Does anyone else listen to Dark Passion Play, only to turn it off after track one because it is so bad it makes you forget the album actually has lots of pretty good stuff later on," then yes.

Haha, my thoughts completely.

The first track on DPP is such a mess in so many ways.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Perpetual Change on November 15, 2011, 01:50:09 AM

Haha, my thoughts completely.

The first track on DPP is such a mess in so many ways.

That outro blows. As soon as it slows down, SKIP. Rest of the song is great tho.
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Buddyhunter1

The Poet and the Pendulum is probably tied with Ghost Love Sore for my favorite Nightwish song  :-\
Only thing I dislike about it is Anette's terrible super-high pitch voice she uses in the intro and the third movement.

bosk1

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on November 15, 2011, 04:52:47 PM
The Poet and the Pendulum is probably tied with Ghost Love Sore for my favorite Nightwish song  :-\
Only thing I dislike about it is Anette's terrible super-high pitch voice she uses in the intro and the third movement.

That isn't Anette.  It is a little boy (can't remember if his name is credited in the booklet or not).

Buddyhunter1

Oh, alright. I still hate that voice though.

cramx3

I would say the first 5 minutes are amazing and then the song just hits the crapper. I also really dont like Marcos vocals on that song.  I loved his style on thier other songs, but he just sounds terrible imo on the poet and the pendulum

Perpetual Change

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on November 15, 2011, 04:52:47 PM

GLS is probably my favorite, but TPatP just lacks any musical coherency. It's like three songs just mashed together with no track-breaks, and a story that is impossible to follow aside from the part where you suddenly here someone say "raped again and again."

jingle.boy

IMO, Beauty of the Beast is the best them.

cramx3

ThroughHerEyesDude6

Summers

WHAT THE HELL how did I miss this?!?

Been so preoccupied with other music releases and game releases I totally missed the new song!  First listen tonight and I am incredibly impressed.  Amazing, and I love the video.  This album is going to rock  :metal

ariich

Quote from: jingle.boy on November 15, 2011, 05:50:29 PM
IMO, Beauty of the Beast is the best them.
This!

But I do also really like both Ghost Love Score and the Poet and the Pendulum.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

ThroughHerEyesDude6

It goes:

1. Beauty of the Beast
2. Ghost Love Score
3. Fantasmic
4. Creek Mary's Blood
5. The Poet and the Pendulum
6. Lappi

fadetoblackdude7

The Poet And The Pendulum is my favorite.

Volk9

Favorite song on DPP is Seven Days to to the Wolves

Ravenheart

bosk1

Quote from: Ravenheart on November 28, 2011, 03:49:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPW-pvk8O-4&feature=player_embedded

Daddy likes this.

Those guys sound like a Nightwish ripoff band, except that their singer sounds nothing like Tarja.

jingle.boy

Quote from: bosk1 on November 28, 2011, 04:20:17 PM

Those guys sound like a Nightwish ripoff band, except that their singer sounds nothing like Tarja.

:rollin

I actually liked that song better than Storytime.  Will rifle thru the rest of the tracks later.

bosk1

Yeah, it is pretty good.  But I like Storytime too, so I can't say which is better at this point.

Buddyhunter1

Didn't listen to all of it yet, just Last Ride of the Day and Song of Myself.
Last Ride was better than expected. Song of Myself would have been great if it weren't for half the song being a spoken poem over a quiet orchestrated sequence that doesn't really go anywhere.

YtseJamittaja

Strings work really well on this album, at least what I have listened to!

No any outstanding single track but overall it's one of the best releases this year.  :metal

fadetoblackdude7

I've listened to 'Slow, Love, Slow' and 'The Crow, The Owl & The Dove'. Both are quite slow, but both are completely breathtaking ad beautiful. This one is shaping up to be another winner!!!!

cramx3

Quote from: Ravenheart on November 28, 2011, 03:49:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPW-pvk8O-4&feature=player_embedded

Daddy likes this.

What was this? The video is down due to copyright claim from Nuclear Blast.  I assume new song?

YtseJamittaja

Zook

So Imagine Air Um is pretty damn awesome. Unlike Dark Passion Play, I was able to listen to the whole album and am on my second listen. Really good production too.

ThroughHerEyesDude6

I hate Europe right now. Once the album's released here in the states I'll go back to loving Europe, but for now I just hate them so much.

bosk1

Wait, so is it out over here?