News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Official DTF Photography Thread

Started by 7StringedBeast, December 27, 2009, 12:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brakkum

holy hell that's amazing. don't often have that problem thanks to manual mode, but damn. that is incredible.

Pyroph

I've been busy with school, and admittedly to an extent lazy, so I haven't done much for a while. But this thread needs a bump, great photos Millais and all of the ones you've been posting brakkum.

obscure

rumborak

Here's a general observation of my trip btw: Have DSLRs become the standard consumer camera at this point? I can honestly say that the default tourist runs around with a DSLR these days, not a point-and-shoot.

rumborak

JayOctavarium

Millais

apart from the sky being slightly overdone, in my opinion, this is an incredible image. the composition is absolutely fantastic! congrats :)

Quote from: rumborak on November 24, 2011, 08:39:02 PM
Here's a general observation of my trip btw: Have DSLRs become the standard consumer camera at this point? I can honestly say that the default tourist runs around with a DSLR these days, not a point-and-shoot.

rumborak

for me, not yet. but they are gradually getting more and more popular and before long i'm fairly sure it will indeed become a standard. how long it is before that happens I don't know!

rumborak

Thing is though, I wouldn't want one. The one I've been using on my trip is a Nikon P7000, and it has held up magnificently when compared to my friend's Canon SLR. Without the bulkiness, since it's form-factor wise an oversized point-and-shoot.
Besides, given that I actually know how to use it, I get better pictures than a lot of the people with their SLRs.

rumborak

rumborak

(FYI, this is a real scene, no CGI. Only a bit of level editing and hue adjustment)

missedthepoint

Very nice, love the tone of that one.
Is that a waterfall?

rumborak

Yeah, it's a waterfall in Milford Sound, NZ. I liked the radial pattern of the sprayed water, I think there was a downdraft or something.

rumborak

Millais

Quote from: rumborak on November 26, 2011, 09:30:46 PM
Yeah, it's a waterfall in Milford Sound, NZ. I liked the radial pattern of the sprayed water, I think there was a downdraft or something.

rumborak

wow. that's so weird. I was going to post a few days asking you if this was Milford Sound! I went to NZ a few years ago and that's what really got me into photography, such an incredible place.

lordxizor

Quote from: rumborak on November 26, 2011, 02:09:27 AM
Thing is though, I wouldn't want one. The one I've been using on my trip is a Nikon P7000, and it has held up magnificently when compared to my friend's Canon SLR. Without the bulkiness, since it's form-factor wise an oversized point-and-shoot.
Besides, given that I actually know how to use it, I get better pictures than a lot of the people with their SLRs.

rumborak

I know a few people who bought DSLRs and never take them out of auto mode and never use anything but the crap lens that came with it. Might as well use a decent point and shoot if that's all you're going to do. Sure, your pictures might be marginally better, but it's not worth the money if you don't know how to use it. A good camera can only make you a slightly better photographer. A good eye and the knowledge to change settings and use your camera to it's full extent will result in much better pictures even if it's just a point and shoot.

I've noticed that DSLRs are basically becoming the standard for tourists (and to some degree parents) these days. We've had one for years and love it and recently lots of our friends are getting them too. We're really not much more than novices at using ours, but we know how to do the basics and get some good shots. I'd love to take classes on how to use it better, but just never found the time.

TheVoxyn

Nothing as good as the stuff you guys post but these are a few of mine I really like:

Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh

Glacier lake + Fjords in Norway

Sunrise near Kiruna (Sweden)

Tick

My daughter during this past Summer. I love this beach! Half mile from my doorstep!

lonestar

I took this one while walking to the train station yesterday morning.  The sprinklers had gone on overnight and had frozen this morning chandelier on this tiny bush(about a foot tall)...

Proof that not every day is sunny and warm in Cali.

obscure

Logical Nightmare

It has been a while, but whatever. I got a new lens, the Canon 50mm f/1,8. I highly recommend it, it is cheap and SO WORTH THE MONEY.

Jonnycumlately

Just took this a few minutes ago outside my front gate -

Pyroph

Just got a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens for Christmas, can't wait to try it out.

ariich

Some really excellent stuff there, Ralf!

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

obscure

rumborak

Thanks!

I was sooo happy that the camera I used survived the whole 5 months of lugging around and occasional water. That shot up there in the mountains with me in it, almost killed the camera though. Tiny dust particles at 50mph or whatever (I could barely stand upright in the shot), some of which ended up inside the lens.

rumborak

Millais

Quote from: Logical Nightmare on December 23, 2011, 02:49:59 PM
It has been a while, but whatever. I got a new lens, the Canon 50mm f/1,8. I highly recommend it, it is cheap and SO WORTH THE MONEY.

yeah seconded. great value lens which brings some awesome results. a few of mine with that particular lens:

Tick

Took this one on Sunday morning at the beach down the street from me.

chknptpie

One of the best sunsets I have seen in a long time.

TimelessSymphony

@chknptpie: that is one hell of a sunset  :metal great picture love it  :tup

took another picture yesterday :3!! here it is:

Millais

Quote from: rumborak on December 25, 2011, 07:41:00 AM
Thanks!

I was sooo happy that the camera I used survived the whole 5 months of lugging around and occasional water. That shot up there in the mountains with me in it, almost killed the camera though. Tiny dust particles at 50mph or whatever (I could barely stand upright in the shot), some of which ended up inside the lens.

rumborak

what did you do in terms of backing up photos? did you just transfer to your laptop while on your ventures or did you do a combination of both backing up onto computers and leaving on the card? Out of interest!

JayOctavarium

lol phone camera

by my office at work

Tick

rumborak

Quote from: Millais on January 29, 2012, 07:14:20 AM
Quote from: rumborak on December 25, 2011, 07:41:00 AM
Thanks!

rumborak

what did you do in terms of backing up photos? did you just transfer to your laptop while on your ventures or did you do a combination of both backing up onto computers and leaving on the card? Out of interest!

I had a netbook with me, and every evening I would delete crap photos, and upload the remaining ones to Amazon S3.

rumborak

TimelessSymphony

i really love this thread you guy's, i was never into photography but then when i saw this thread, i thought why not post some of mine  :blush even though mine aren't really professional as you all :p

here's a picture of my puppy that i took yesterday and took it just in time before he went do his well "business"  :biggrin: