Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 314071 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #525 on: June 01, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
I agree with what ZirconBlue posted.

Although, given some time away from this song and just going by memory I guess there's a reason this song is so iconic.  Plus, it's really not a bad song comparatively speaking.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #526 on: June 01, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
I used to date this hottie about ten years back, and her favorite band in hs was Loverboy. when this song came on, oh the things it did to her, thanks Loverboy. :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #527 on: June 01, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
I used to date this hottie about ten years back, and her favorite band in hs was Loverboy. when this song came on, oh the things it did to her, thanks Loverboy. :tup

So she played "When It's Over" when you finished?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #528 on: June 01, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
Do They Know It's Christmas > We Are The World

Although I do admit, the first time I heard WATW it was okay but then it got WAY overplayed.

Strange co-incidence, I just entered Hear 'n' Aid - We're Stars in Bosk's thread in my top 10. decent DIO song with long guitar solo? Sounds good to me. Don't know how much it raised compared to the two charity big hitters, probably peanuts.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #529 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
I saw that, yeah.  From what I remember, I only heard "We're Stars" on the radio once.  Only saw the video once too.  It's a shame, because from what I remember it was a decent song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #530 on: June 01, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
Michael Penn - No Myth

The brother of actor Sean Penn had a surprisingly very good debut record - every song is good - and the hit single from it, No Myth, is still an insanely catchy song after all of these years.  I think it is kind of a forgotten song for a lot of 80s fans, but I was pleased to see it featured on a recent episode of Totally 80s on VH1 Classic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: June 01, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
I am Proud to say I own every one of his albums.  This is such a great tune.  The guy has such a craft for the melancholy.  Mp4: Days Since a Lost Time Accident is my favorite album of his.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #532 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
I saw that, yeah.  From what I remember, I only heard "We're Stars" on the radio once.  Only saw the video once too.  It's a shame, because from what I remember it was a decent song.

Well...THAT'S WHAT YOUTUBE IS FOR!!!  :)  (not to mention that I linked it a few posts back after Kev posted WATW)  Go watch, and the come back and tell us how awesome Dave Meniketti was on that song.  That's my favorite part of the video.  ...with my second favorite being Neil Schon's "I smell something bad that nobody else smells" face during his solo.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
Oh wow - I forgot about that song!  Always loved it. :heart

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

Well...THAT'S WHAT YOUTUBE IS FOR!!!  :)  (not to mention that I linked it a few posts back after Kev posted WATW)  Go watch, and the come back and tell us how awesome Dave Meniketti was on that song.  That's my favorite part of the video.  ...with my second favorite being Neil Schon's "I smell something bad that nobody else smells" face during his solo.  :lol

I know, I know.  Will do, chief!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »

Rumbled. I skipped some pages where pop songs were being discussed  ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #536 on: June 01, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
Wow, I forgot how good that song really was.

REAL funny to see Tater in there too.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
I love the song, but until 5 minutes ago had never seen the music video, so um..... thanks? :lol
Drummer was definitely the highlight of that video.

Oh, you think the drummer of Loverboy was fun in THAT video? See if you can find the video for Gangs In The Street. Trust me, his performance in Working was just the warm up for that masterpiece.

And omg, No Myth? I totally fucking forgot that song! Nostalgia bomb!
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #538 on: June 01, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »
No Myth is a great song.  I didn't get any further into Michael Penn, but I did like the one song.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: June 03, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »

I bought the Hear 'N Aid cassette as well as the VHS which documented the project (and included a bunch of the alternate vocal and guitar takes).  I still have that VHS around here somewhere.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #540 on: June 03, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
Wow.  Cassette AND VHS in the same post, folks! :lol ;) :clap:

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »
Wow.  Cassette AND VHS in the same post, folks! :lol ;) :clap:

Yeah, sadly I missed the 8-track era by a couple of years.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #542 on: June 03, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
You didn't miss much. :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 03, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

One of my older brothers had an 8-track recorder.  You could buy blank 8-tracks and record on them.  For some reason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #544 on: June 03, 2012, 07:59:40 PM »
Robert Plant - Big Log

Undoubtedly one of my favorite songs and videos when growing up - the song is a great slow burn featuring a fantastic guitar lead, and the video is just neat, albeit a bit confusing and random. :lol  Still, I love this song, and was definitely an important song for me in regards to my development as a music fan and appreciating certain kinds of music.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: June 03, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
The guitar is outstanding in this song.  Just listened to Now and Zen today.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #546 on: June 04, 2012, 12:26:33 AM »

One of my older brothers had an 8-track recorder.  You could buy blank 8-tracks and record on them.  For some reason.

My Dad had one too, but it was part of his stereo system at the time.  Ooo, BUT... my uncle had a REEL TO REEL machine.  Ha HA! :lol

Robert Plant - Big Log

Undoubtedly one of my favorite songs and videos when growing up - the song is a great slow burn featuring a fantastic guitar lead, and the video is just neat, albeit a bit confusing and random. :lol  Still, I love this song, and was definitely an important song for me in regards to my development as a music fan and appreciating certain kinds of music.

GOOD.  SONG.  Hell, the whole Principle of Moments album is really good too.

I think The Honeydrippers album should also be mentioned because that album was such a breath of fresh air at the time.  I was just getting into "Dad's music" (the old hits from the 50s and 60s) so my 14/15 year old self REALLY dug that album too.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #547 on: June 04, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »
Robert Plant - Big Log

I couldn't stand this song when it came out (I was 11), then about 5 years later, after not hearing it for a few years, it became a favorite of mine.  Nice choice.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #548 on: June 04, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
Heard Big Log on MusicChoice yesterday.  I thought "What a drastic change from his days of fronting one of the biggest rock bands in history".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: June 04, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
Heard Big Log on MusicChoice yesterday.  I thought "What a drastic change from his days of fronting one of the biggest rock bands in history".

That's Plant though.  Listen to the stuff he's done on his last 3 solo albums.  Very different and unique.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #550 on: June 04, 2012, 11:06:07 AM »
I thought it was really boring when it first came out.  Now, I find it nice and mellow and pensive, and still pretty boring.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #551 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
The Cars - Magic

I couldn't decide which hit from Heartbeat City to do first here, but it being a beautiful summery day today, this one was the natural, given the video.  This is probably my least favorite of their hits from that record, but at the ripe old age of 11, I thought the video was so cool, even though it was obvious that he was standing on something in the pool, not really walking on water. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #552 on: June 04, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »
Great song.  Great video.  Who cares if you can see the plate glass in the pool?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
Don't recall the video, but a cool song.

Their debut album gets overlooked when people discuss the great debut albums in rock history.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #554 on: June 04, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
LOVE The Cars, love the song.  Their deeper cuts are pretty stellar too.

Great song.  Great video.  Who cares if you can see the plate glass in the pool?

No kidding. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #555 on: June 04, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
LOVE The Cars, love the song.  Their deeper cuts are pretty stellar too.

No kidding. :lol

Yeah, I was never huge into them, but had a couple of albums.  My band performs Just What I Needed, which is a blast.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #556 on: June 04, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
Oh, I'll bet. :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: June 04, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
Right before the Cars started to blow.  Great tune.  Classic Cars and so damn singable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #558 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
We used to watch this video and totally crack up at the intro.  The guy laying there hungover or something, looks up, and all these people are running towards him, "WTF?!" he thinks, he panics, he tries to escape...!  And it turns out the people are all just running to see Ric standing on the pool singing a song.  He has nothing further to do with the video, and he's probably happier that way.  Now that's some great filmmaking!  (100% serious)

(Okay not really, but it's still a fun video)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #559 on: June 04, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
:lol at Orbert's post. :tup :tup

Berlin - Take My Breath Away

It is impossible to hear this song and not think of Top Gun, and I swear, every time I hear this at a bar or something, girls everywhere scream like those girls in the old Beatles clips the instant this second starts.  This is not a bad choice to have on in your car when on a date early in a possible relationship (yes, I have it on one of my 80s mp3 CDs). :hat :biggrin: