Author Topic: Awake is still better than every other Dream Theater record  (Read 42923 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Awake is still better than every other Dream Theater record
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
I guess it has run it course - I mean, the truth was already declared at the very beginning of the thread :D

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »
I think Awake is their worst album. It has two really good songs - Voices and The Mirror - another couple of ok songs, and five (5!) of their worst songs: Lie, 6:00, SDV, Innocence Faded, and the most awful of them all: Scarred.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2013, 01:46:50 PM »
I think Awake is their worst album. It has two really good songs - Voices and The Mirror - another couple of ok songs, and five (5!) of their worst songs: Lie, 6:00, SDV, Innocence Faded, and the most awful of them all: Scarred.

Good evening, Sir, and welcome to this thread. You may take place over there right next to blob.  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »

Good evening, Sir, and welcome to this thread. You may take place over there right next to blob.  :lol
:lol Actually it's funny how much Blob and I coincide regarding DT. Our only significant disagreement is that I kinda like WDADU.

Offline emtee

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »
Still my favorite DT album. Took over a year to sink in, maybe more. Love the mood, the flow, the compositions, the mix...flat out
love it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »
Any chance Blob can give a detailed summary of each song from Awake, but more importantly the last 4 songs you detest? I'd really like to know why you hate them so much. I can understand Space Dye Vest, but Lifting Shadows is an amazing ballad, and Scarred is epic. Lie is a great rocker too. Is it the lyrics of Lie, cuz I will admit that can be a bit silly.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
Okay, I get why people would like Scarred and Space-Dye Vest. I myself went through a phase where I liked them quite a bit.

But how on earth could someone listen to Innocence Faded and think it's a good song? It's bloody terrible, through and through!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
Any chance Blob can give a detailed summary of each song from Awake, but more importantly the last 4 songs you detest? I'd really like to know why you hate them so much. I can understand Space Dye Vest, but Lifting Shadows is an amazing ballad, and Scarred is epic. Lie is a great rocker too. Is it the lyrics of Lie, cuz I will admit that can be a bit silly.
I probably was exaggerating. I can listen to SDV and kinda enjoy it, but I haven't listened to it in years and I dislike the piano sound and the samples, so I lean towards disliking it. Lifting Shadows is definitely amazing, one of my favorites in the album that I forgot to mention. Lie and Scarred I cannot stand, but I see that many people find them to be very good.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »
Okay, I get why people would like Scarred and Space-Dye Vest. I myself went through a phase where I liked them quite a bit.

But how on earth could someone listen to Innocence Faded and think it's a good song? It's bloody terrible, through and through!

Although most of the words are incomprehensible, I think Innocence Faded is great. What's not to like? It's OK to like poppy songs.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »
Awake is much better when viewed as an album as opposed to taking it in a song by song basis. I've never been a fan of just comparing "what songs do I like more" and then pick the "better" album based on that. I think there are certainly stronger songs on different albums, but Awake is perfect in length, sound and content. Every song definitely has it's place, and the order the tracks were placed in is perfect. I listen to any song and it never gets old, and never does listening to the whole album feel like a chore. Plebs, get on my level.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »

Nothing terrible about it.  And that Dregs-influenced outro is pure gold.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
Kev is right, the truth was declared at the beginning of the thread.

All the posts before this one don't exist, therefore this is the beginning of the thread.

SDOIT, SFAM, IaW, and ADTOE are better than Awake. :neverusethis:

Offline johncal

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »
No it's not

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
Awake is honestly one of my least favorites

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:45 PM »
Awake is awesome... but better than every other DT record? That's a stretch to say the least imo  :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
:lol Actually it's funny how much Blob and I coincide regarding DT. Our only significant disagreement is that I kinda like WDADU.

Ooooh how dare you kinda like something I dislike! :getoffmylawn:

I guess we can still be friends.

I've never understood the hate for Innocence Faded at all, and that's coming from me, the #1 disliker of Awake, so if there was something to dislike, I'd say so. :lol Is it just a prog hangup about songs that are actually catchy and more straight forward?
What's not to like? It starts off with that cool guitar unison lead, it has great melodies, a catchy chorus with those nice backup vocals adding something extra, a powerful bridge section with some of JLB's best vocals (fuck lyrics. He's talking about doing his hair on Sunday or something), and a badass outro by Petrucci.

And while I'm feeling generous towards Awake, I'll throw CIAW in there too. Never understood the hate for that one either. I mean, it's a shitload better than Lie, and people seem to like that for some reason I have yet to comprehend at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Polis

« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
That was really funny and clever. You know, how you just took the same joke that was already on my image, and simply reiterated it from the opposite side in meme form over the top of the image, as if it negates it. Bonus points for originality. :tup
I'm glad you expect every post to be as thought-provoking and witty as yours. You are sure the epitome of rationalism to be able to point out the tragically gaping downfall of the previous poster's folly. Also, I hate you for saying that Scarred sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Tone it down.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2013, 01:45:19 AM »
Still top 3, easily.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2013, 02:16:37 AM »
Four pages of nagging, and no mud wrestling over what is the best album? I am dissapoint.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
Four pages of nagging, and no mud wrestling over what is the best album? I am dissapoint.
Yeah I was really looking forward to mud-wrestling feeble pallid progsters who claim Awake is not the best thing ever.
Come on, ANYONE.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2013, 05:34:53 AM »
"Proggsters". :lol

*takes off shirt*
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2013, 05:46:05 AM »
Yeah I was really looking forward to mud-wrestling feeble pallid progsters who claim Awake is not the best thing ever.
Come on, ANYONE.

I hate prog. BRING IT ON, LADY. :73109:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2013, 05:50:52 AM »
Come on, ANYONE.

I hate prog. BRING IT ON, LADY. :73109:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »

I didn't care much for the studio version but it was far from terrible.  I gained a new appreciation for the song when they played it live at Radio City on Score.  Yeah, the outro was awesome.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ħ

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2013, 11:00:43 AM »
It's not that it sounds poppy. DT has plenty of good pop-sounding songs. It's that it sounds awful.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »
I just think the whole problem is that it follows Caught In A Web, and seems kind of redundant after something like that.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2013, 11:25:10 AM »
I just think the whole problem is that it follows Caught In A Web, and seems kind of redundant after something like that.

How does CIAW make Innocence Faded at all redundant? ???

« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »
How does CIAW make Innocence Faded at all redundant? ???

CIAW is just a lot better, and they're both relatively straightforward songs. After CIAW, Innocence Faded just sounds uninteresting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2013, 11:34:23 AM »
Okay, but saying they are redundant makes no sense since Caught in a Web is full-on metal and Innocence Faded isn't metal at all.

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
Okay, but saying they are redundant makes no sense since Caught in a Web is full-on metal and Innocence Faded isn't metal at all.

I think the openings to their choruses are too similar. "Caught in a weeeeeeb!" "Innocence Faaaaded!" The first time I ever heard them side by side, I was just like, "Oh, God, is this what the whole album is gonna be?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »

I think the openings to their choruses are too similar. "Caught in a weeeeeeb!" "Innocence Faaaaded!" The first time I ever heard them side by side, I was just like, "Oh, God, is this what the whole album is gonna be?"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »

Well, anybody who knows DT's style will never presume to think that the first few songs will determine the outcome of the album.  It's ok to just say you don't like a song, but don't wrap yourself around the axil trying to explain why.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White