Author Topic: Going out on a date with a complete stranger.  (Read 15437 times)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Going out on a date with a complete stranger.
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2023, 12:48:50 PM »
I would have joined in on this one too, had I known about it.  All of mine would be from 20-years ago before I was married and while I was in college, and they wouldn't really be internet related.

The strangest one would have been an interstate date; nothing else to call it I guess.  Driving home from Tech one evening after work, I got the attention of a girl driving another car on I-81 and somehow got her to follow me to an Applebees in Wytheville VA (of course, this would never happen nowadays).  We had dinner and talked for about two hours and saw each other a few more times.  Talk about complete stranger...

Other than my wife, who will always hold the title of the most beautiful woman I've ever been in contact with, this girl would be a close second with regard to physical attraction.  Plus, she was wild... as evidenced by the fact that I got her to follow me to an Applebees without even speaking to her.  Silliness for certain, but makes for a good story of the stupidity of my youth.  :lol
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2023, 09:01:16 PM »
I met plenty of people online, good, bad, and ugly, in my 20s,and could probably share some stories, should I wish to revisit those times. I did meet the current Mrs. Cool Chris online, so I got that going for me,

Which is nice.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2023, 11:21:25 AM »
Oh wow, blast from the past. I have no idea which DVD I was talking about in 2013. Oddly I went on what I didn't know was a date with a stranger last night.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2023, 12:07:51 PM »
The strangest one would have been an interstate date; nothing else to call it I guess.  Driving home from Tech one evening after work, I got the attention of a girl driving another car on I-81 and somehow got her to follow me to an Applebees in Wytheville VA (of course, this would never happen nowadays).  We had dinner and talked for about two hours and saw each other a few more times.  Talk about complete stranger...

A friend of mine actually met her previous bf (she's now married, but we've known each other since being kids) when we were in college in a similar situation.  I wasn't there, but some how on the road they got each other's attention and connected.  Definitely an odd thing, but these things do happen  :lol

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2023, 11:27:48 PM »
I met my wife via online dating about 10 years ago.  We both wish we had a better story regarding how we met, but it is what it is.  I know a ton of couples that met the same way, I doubt I'm unique in that regard. 

We've now been married for 6.5 years and have 2 children.  She still doesn't enjoy DT at all, aside from kinda being ok with The Spirit Carries On.  Our musical tastes are very different, which isn't a big deal to me and we've actually turned each other onto stuff we wouldn't otherwise have listened to.  Maybe my kids will eventually enjoy DT on some level :)

One word of advice would be not to overdo it on the first date.  You don't want to get stuck doing dinner with someone that you clearly have no chemistry with.  You can always turn the coffee or drinks date into dinner if things are going well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2023, 06:44:49 AM »
I met my wife via online dating about 10 years ago.  We both wish we had a better story regarding how we met, but it is what it is.  I know a ton of couples that met the same way, I doubt I'm unique in that regard. 

We've now been married for 6.5 years and have 2 children.  She still doesn't enjoy DT at all, aside from kinda being ok with The Spirit Carries On.  Our musical tastes are very different, which isn't a big deal to me and we've actually turned each other onto stuff we wouldn't otherwise have listened to.  Maybe my kids will eventually enjoy DT on some level :)

One word of advice would be not to overdo it on the first date.  You don't want to get stuck doing dinner with someone that you clearly have no chemistry with.  You can always turn the coffee or drinks date into dinner if things are going well.

I didn't write this post, but - except for the "having 2 children" (we brought our own into the relationship) - I could have.  We ended up going to this little restaurant/bar, and sat down, the waiter brought waters and we sat and talked for almost two and a half hours and never ordered a thing.  Not even a drink.  As we were walking out, the owner came out and asked if everything was ok.   I'm about as smooth as an unpaved road with the ladies, but I was on point and said "everything was perfect; that was our first date and we just got lost in talking".   We've been together ever since. 

Postscript:  Our first Christmas together, I went to the restaurant and gave one of the waiters $20 for two of their water glasses.  We still have them.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2023, 08:04:49 AM »

I didn't write this post, but - except for the "having 2 children" (we brought our own into the relationship) - I could have.  We ended up going to this little restaurant/bar, and sat down, the waiter brought waters and we sat and talked for almost two and a half hours and never ordered a thing.  Not even a drink.  As we were walking out, the owner came out and asked if everything was ok.   I'm about as smooth as an unpaved road with the ladies, but I was on point and said "everything was perfect; that was our first date and we just got lost in talking".   We've been together ever since. 

Postscript:  Our first Christmas together, I went to the restaurant and gave one of the waiters $20 for two of their water glasses.  We still have them.

That is awesome, good for you guys!  We went to a Starbucks after 3 or so back and forth emails on Match and sat outside for hours talking.  I was too stupid to suggest going to dinner when it was obviously going very well.  A fact my wife likes to point out every now and again.  Honestly, I didn't want to push my luck after what was clearly a good first date.

A few days later, we sat outside at a restaurant and ended up staying there well past when they closed (owner didn't care).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2023, 08:43:15 AM »

Congrats.  As for your word of advice, I totally agree.  I always had a rule, no meal on a first date.  It just doesn't make sense.  For one, it's odd to eat in front of someone you don't know.  Two, the first date is really about getting to know someone, food throws that off as you can't talk while eating, well at least not without being a bit piggy.  Three, you don't want to get stuck paying the bill for someone you may never see again.

Having said that, on my first date with my gf, I nervously ordered an app... that neither of us ate  :lol

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2023, 09:30:32 AM »
Three, you don't want to get stuck paying the bill for someone you may never see again.

Having said that, on my first date with my gf, I nervously ordered an app... that neither of us ate  :lol
[/quote]

Exactly.  I've made the mistake before.  When it happened to me, I knew the date was a dud after 10 minutes, but was along for the ride.  I'm not the type to just ditch someone.  You live you learn :)

A $5 cup of coffee or a beer doesn't feel so bad when things go off the rails.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2023, 09:36:24 AM »
I'm not the type to ditch someone either.  But I've seen social media posts of girls who order crazy amount of food expecting the guy to pay and then the guy ditches the girl.  I feel like I could see myself doing that in an extreme situation.  I'm not going to let a stranger walk over me like that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2023, 09:41:09 AM »
That sounds horrible, and completely believeable.  Blind date, she orders expensive drinks and/or food because it's a "date" and regardless of more modern conventions, some believe that if it's a "date" then the guy pays, period.  He, however, wasn't planning on that and isn't going to drop a wad of cash on some girl who's clearly just there to take advantage of him, plus it's a red flag that things aren't going to work anyway, so on the pretense of going to the restroom, he bails, because fuck that shit.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2023, 10:11:37 AM »
I'm not the type to ditch someone either.  But I've seen social media posts of girls who order crazy amount of food expecting the guy to pay and then the guy ditches the girl.  I feel like I could see myself doing that in an extreme situation.  I'm not going to let a stranger walk over me like that.

Yeah, hell no.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2023, 10:42:54 AM »

Congrats.  As for your word of advice, I totally agree.  I always had a rule, no meal on a first date.  It just doesn't make sense.  For one, it's odd to eat in front of someone you don't know.  Two, the first date is really about getting to know someone, food throws that off as you can't talk while eating, well at least not without being a bit piggy.  Three, you don't want to get stuck paying the bill for someone you may never see again.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with that. It's a risk you take going on a date and I (again, personal opinion) don't think that #3 should deter you from going to a restaurant on a first date, if it feels like both of you want to. But that's me, someone who hasn't been on the dating scene since 2010.

On the first date with my SO (in 2010), it was a random thing that I asked her if she wanted to hang out. We had no plans so we walked for a bit, went into a restaurant. Me, not thinking much of it, got food that I normally order (fucking BBQ ribs at that! :lol though I eat ribs with a fork and knife). Her on the other hand, only ordered a cocktail and a piece of cornbread lol we still laugh about it today. After the restaurant we walked for about an hour, went into Dave and Buster's, played some games for like 2-3 hours, then we went home. It was great, even if I was being a fat-ass  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2023, 12:40:15 PM »

I personally wouldn't have a problem with that. It's a risk you take going on a date and I (again, personal opinion) don't think that #3 should deter you from going to a restaurant on a first date, if it feels like both of you want to. But that's me, someone who hasn't been on the dating scene since 2010.

On the first date with my SO (in 2010), it was a random thing that I asked her if she wanted to hang out. We had no plans so we walked for a bit, went into a restaurant. Me, not thinking much of it, got food that I normally order (fucking BBQ ribs at that! :lol though I eat ribs with a fork and knife). Her on the other hand, only ordered a cocktail and a piece of cornbread lol we still laugh about it today. After the restaurant we walked for about an hour, went into Dave and Buster's, played some games for like 2-3 hours, then we went home. It was great, even if I was being a fat-ass  :biggrin:

I'da been all "you eat your ribs with a knife and fork?!?"   HAHA.

I'm kidding, but it illustrates the problem with food; it is, in some ways, a personal thing.  I'm also probably not bringing a first date back to my apartment either.  Wait till she loves you before you show all the warts and blemishes!!  :) :) :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2023, 12:45:42 PM »
I think a lot's changed since 2010 in the dating world.  When I first entered the dating world after a 10 year relationship around 2014, I went in thinking it was normal to take a girl out for a meal on a first date and pay.  But I quickly realized a lot of girls didn't want that either.  Girls don't want to eat in front of you on the first date.  Like Stadler said, it's a bit too personal. 

I also have another first date rule, or did as in hopefully no more first dates for me, where I will always pay, but I wont offer right away to see if the girl offers to split/pay the bill.  I'm not going to accept the offer, but I want to see if it's made.  Once again, it's no longer old school days where the guy pays for everything.  I want a girl that has her own job/money and doesn't need to rely on me.  Offering to pay shows that on some level.  It's not make or break, but just like being late on the first date, it's a red flag to me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2023, 01:04:57 PM »
I eat ribs with a knife and fork because if I just eat them manimal style, I get BBQ sauce in my mustache.  I can't leave it there, even between bites, so I end up using like 20 napkins by time I'm done.  Eff that.  I knife-and-fork it and it's much neater.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2023, 01:09:55 PM »

I'm kidding, but it illustrates the problem with food; it is, in some ways, a personal thing.  I'm also probably not bringing a first date back to my apartment either.  Wait till she loves you before you show all the warts and blemishes!!  :) :) :)
I was really weird about getting my hands dirty with food back then (or using my bare hands to eat for that matter), just a me thing  :)

Marc, 100% get that and agree.

I eat ribs with a knife and fork because if I just eat them manimal style, I get BBQ sauce in my mustache.  I can't leave it there, even between bites, so I end up using like 20 napkins by time I'm done.  Eff that.  I knife-and-fork it and it's much neater.
See, this guy gets it  :metal :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2023, 01:48:00 PM »

I was really weird about getting my hands dirty with food back then (or using my bare hands to eat for that matter), just a me thing  :)

Marc, 100% get that and agree.

See, this guy gets it  :metal :lol

I really am just joshing with you; on a date, I'd have been the same way, and I have a beard now, too, so I totally get it.  All in fun. :)

Sort of related, on the Bruins broadcast a couple games ago, Sofia asked all the players if they "fold their pizza".  All the Americans and Europeans said "yes, of course" and all the Canadians, including Marchand, were all like "who are these people?!"  It was funny.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2023, 01:52:49 PM »
I have been known to separate particularly unruly ribs with a knife and fork, if absolutely necessary, but I then pick them up with my hands and engage.  And the sauce may get in my mustache, but if so, after using napkins, I do a quick wash after dinner, which I always do after smoking a cigar anyway, so it's no big deal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2023, 05:27:16 PM »
Sort of related, on the Bruins broadcast a couple games ago, Sofia asked all the players if they "fold their pizza".  All the Americans and Europeans said "yes, of course" and all the Canadians, including Marchand, were all like "who are these people?!"  It was funny.

Why would anyone fold their pizza? That decreases your bites in half right off the bat.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2023, 08:42:48 PM »
Exactly.  Fewer bites, same amount of pizza in half the time.  More efficient.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2023, 08:47:13 PM »

Why would you want to cut time down on eating something like pizza?  I want to savor and enjoy that shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2023, 08:48:16 PM »

Why would you want to cut time down on eating something like pizza?  I want to savor and enjoy that shit.

Right.

Plus, folding your pizza basically gives you a crust sandwich.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2023, 08:54:19 PM »
I have been known to do the old chip/fries pizza sandwich.  Slice of pizza, shit load of chips on top, maybe some ranch sauce on the chips, then sandwich the top of that bitch with another slice of pizza face down.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2023, 09:47:37 PM »
I have been known to do the old chip/fries pizza sandwich.  Slice of pizza, shit load of chips on top, maybe some ranch sauce on the chips, then sandwich the top of that bitch with another slice of pizza face down.

What are you, a savage?  Why would anyone do that?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2023, 02:47:30 AM »

What are you, a savage?  Why would anyone do that?

Because it's fucking glorious!

And yes, I am a savage.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2023, 03:12:00 AM »

Reported to moderator

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2023, 03:23:06 AM »
What's wrong with you fucking people, why is that so offensive?  :lol

Fucking try it and thank me later.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2023, 03:41:24 AM »
What's next, lube in the face?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2023, 04:04:46 AM »
What's next, lube in the face?

Gonna need something to get the pizza sandwich down.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2023, 06:27:52 AM »
What's wrong with you fucking people, why is that so offensive?  :lol

Fucking try it and thank me later.

Without the f-bomb, that was EXACTLY Marchand's response to people who fold their pizza.

The rationale for folding - which, by the way, I do NOT do, except in the most egregious of circumstances - is to facilitate one hand eating and reduce the chance of dropping toppings or dripping if it's at all greasy.   

I am by NO means a pizza snob - there is great pizza for sure, but the line between good and bad pizza is astonishingly low for me - but I can count the number of slices I've folded on maybe two hands.  I don't mess around with the eating part of it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2023, 06:37:58 AM »
Minus the ranch dressing, Wolfs idea don’t sound too bad.

And folding pizza is the correct way. Unless it’s not NY style.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2023, 06:59:06 AM »
If the pizza is steaming hot and you are starving and incapable of waiting 5 minutes for the cool down, folding is mandatory. This eliminates roof-of-the-mouth burns that last days. That hot cheese is an enemy to mankind.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2023, 07:12:32 AM »
Never had a problem with folding, in fact most of the times you just got to unless you wish to Pollock your trousers. It's the chips and ranchy sauce part that borders blasphemy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2023, 07:22:14 AM »
The only reason to 'fold' (ie, so it ends up like a hot-dog; not like a calzone) pizza is you're eating some pie that is limp-af.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion