Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 4  (Read 43517 times)

Offline utopiarun

Re: The Walking Dead, Season 4
« Reply #385 on: March 03, 2014, 06:43:14 AM »
Boring, boring, boring! They took all the momentum from the last episode and just let all of the air out. I was so looking forward to a continuation from last week and they give us a Daryl and Beth borefest. Next week's preview didn't show any Rick so I have a feeling we won't be moving the story along again.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #386 on: March 03, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »
Wouldn't snake have felt Daryl coming? Sneaking up on a rattlesnake doesn't seem likely to me.

It did begin to rattle and show some kind of alarm before he brought the stick down on it. I have no idea how realistic that behaviour would be, however.

I've owned a Rattlenake and that was fairly realistic. They'll only Rattle at you when you while thier resting or coiled. Once they've been disturbed and put on the move it'd try to escape like that one was, if they don't feel threatened. Don't know the circumstance of how Daryl found that one but it obviously wasn't threatened. And pinning their heads like that isn't too difficult. If your not drunk......then you end up like me with a $40k ICU bill :biggrin:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #387 on: March 03, 2014, 09:04:44 AM »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: March 03, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
the only true noteworthy insight into Daryl this episode was that he only mentioned two characters by name when reflecting on 'his' failure. He mentioned Hershal when he said 'your Dad' and he mentioned Rick. Both in the moment when he was upset and lamenting over the fact he could have done more so to me it shows that he really does 'care' for Rick....or has formed a bond.

When he mentioned Maggie and Carol he was engaged in letting Beth know she'd never see them again....as if they were a reference to who she had lost....not him....like those were the people she'd miss more?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: March 04, 2014, 06:47:34 AM »
I watched the latest episode last night and I really wanted to like it but...:lol The acting was so bad. Holy shit! Norman Reedus should definitely stick with the silent brooding type character or the stoner egghead (see Blade 2) and not try to branch out too far. Oh and the girl who plays Beth is just shockingly unconvincing. I'm sorry to be such a downer to what is otherwise a good series but the episode should have been a ten minute snipit during a regular episode and spared us the 'Beth drunk talk'.

...loosing interest fast now...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »
Norman Reedus should definitely stick with the silent brooding type character or the stoner egghead (see Blade 2) and not try to branch out too far.

Kind of magnified the fact maybe he can't be the 'lead', that he's better off in group situations as an ancillary character.

the episode should have been a ten minute snipit during a regular episode

Pretty much this. That hour accomplished nothing that 10 minutes couldn't have in any other episode.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
How can I, and the guy who reviews this show for IGN, be the only two people who really enjoyed this episode?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
Count me in that minority. I really loved it, but then again I've always been a fan of the more character-centric expositions that this show has done in the past. There were some points it dragged, but  It helps that I'm also in the minority apparently in thinking that Reedus is a great actor and while most of the time I dislike Beth and her inane whining, this episode it seemed to be more genuine somehow, especially with the whole 'I wanna drink' aspect during a time that being inebriated is almost a sure death.  :lol

I like the neck-break pace they've been moving at for the most part this season, but it's nice to have some good old fashion character development. Next episode should have some solid plot progression, so that should appease those that didn't like this one too much.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »
Count me in that minority. I really loved it, but then again I've always been a fan of the more character-centric expositions that this show has done in the past. There were some points it dragged, but  It helps that I'm also in the minority apparently in thinking that Reedus is a great actor and while most of the time I dislike Beth and her inane whining, this episode it seemed to be more genuine somehow, especially with the whole 'I wanna drink' aspect during a time that being inebriated is almost a sure death.  :lol

I like the neck-break pace they've been moving at for the most part this season, but it's nice to have some good old fashion character development. Next episode should have some solid plot progression, so that should appease those that didn't like this one too much.

I think Reedus has done great as Daryl.....that character is awesome. Up until the last episode I thought he nailed every opportunity he had. And I'm also down for some good character development, when it's done well.  I just thought the writing in that episode was really weak.....the conversations they had were BRUTAL (for me) to listen to. You could tell that neither Gimple, Kirkman or Nicitero wrote that episode.  Very simple and dumbed down....Lacked substance and you could sense it in how hard those two tried to sell it. I get what the writers were going for but I personally think it missed the mark. It happens.

At this point now that they all have had their time apart I'm ready for some of them to start meeting up again. Let's get the show on the road so to speak. The previews for next week look cool with the fog and 'suspensful' old school horror style it's suggesting.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:30 AM »
Okay, in retrospect I was pretty harsh on Reedus and the show. My excuse is that I watched it directly after watching episode 7 of True Detective and, well, there are no adequate adjectives to describe the distance between performances of these two shows. But then, that's not what The Walking Dead is about...is it?

Anyway, I'm totally with the program that Daryl needed to feel horrible about his roll in the failure of the prison. He was a key person, hell number 2 in charge, tasked with maintaining the security of the prison. He was absolutely correct that he should have helped Mischonne hunt down the Governor. Additionally, he'd be a total sociopath (and therefore an unsympathetic character) if he didn't feel remorse for the loss of people he finally dared to care about. In season one we saw him struggle with learning to care for anyone at all so now that they are gone and he's stuck with one of the weak ones his depression and apathy made perfect sense.

I just disagree that breaking down and crying was the correct response for Merle Dixon's little brother. A frosty stare and a growled vow to find each missing member or to destroy their suffering corpse would be much more consistent. I think Norman (the actor) did the best he could with the script and direction that was provided to him. Mrs. P say's she was quite moved by his performance and I trust her enough to defer to her opinion over my snap reaction yesterday.

Oh, and it seems ridiculous that Daryl should feel shame for his upbringing. It may have been rough, even brutal but it has made him a consummate survivor for the world he now finds himself in. Besides, I've never known a Georgia redneck who wasn't damned proud to be one. Shame just doesn't seem to be part of the Southern U.S. culture (see Duck Dynasty).

The nicest way I can put this next part is: I don't think Emily Kinney is up to the task of matching acting chops with the rest of the cast. I think the writing for her dialog was less than par for the writers of this show and I think the direction for this episode was complacent...at best.

Lastly, I love character development but to just hand wave criticism away as not being patient with "character development episodes" is ridiculous--or so it seems to me. Everything we found out about both of these characters could have been condensed considerably. Since the season break we've been witnessing Daryl's depression and doubt, did we really need another 45 minutes of it before he has his resolution? Beth being tired of just surviving and wanting to live a little could have been handled quickly. Hell, she's not even that important to the overarching theme of this show. This show is supposed to be about the survival of a father and son and the bond that it creates between them. Only characters who significantly help them achieve this goal are important and even then are just so much 'walker food'. Why are the producers trying to make Beth a major character? Why now?

Sorry for the wall of text.  :blush
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:18:03 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »
This show is supposed to be about the survival of a father and son and the bond that it creates between them.

That...is not even close to what this show is. How did you come to the conclusion (or hear) that was what the show was mainly about? Because...it's not.  :lol I mean, you're free to come up with your own kind of interpretation of what they show is trying to convey, but that's not even a bullet point in any synopsis of the plot from anything official. If anything, a main point of this show is that everyone is fodder, even the main characters. A father and son are nothing special...this isn't 'The Road'.

Also, keep in mind that Daryl was quite drunk during all that somber bullshit, all bets are off when a man who's been through what he has gets plastered for the first time in who knows how long.

RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
My bad. I was under the understanding that was the point of the comic and by extension the tv show. I stand corrected.

:(

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #397 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
It's all good; and anyone can interpret the meaning of the story in any way they'd like, it just sounded like that statement came from something official. Thus far I'd say it's unlikely that either Rick or Carl will meet their demise any time soon (if at all) but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Kirkman has indeed stated that the comics could go on without Rick; but then again he also loves toying with his readers so.. :laugh: I would say it's almost completely unlikely that the show will kill off either Rick or Carl, so you may end up being correct by the time the show ends, even if it didn't start off with that as a goal in mind.

On the other hand, it'd be correct to say that is one of Rick's defining characteristics and motivation for survival; I just wouldn't call it a plot point of the series.  :tup EVERYONE ARE THE NOMS!

RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
This show is supposed to be about the survival of a father and son and the bond that it creates between them.

That...is not even close to what this show is. How did you come to the conclusion (or hear) that was what the show was mainly about? Because...it's not.  :lol I mean, you're free to come up with your own kind of interpretation of what they show is trying to convey, but that's not even a bullet point in any synopsis of the plot from anything official. If anything, a main point of this show is that everyone is fodder, even the main characters. A father and son are nothing special...this isn't 'The Road'.

That could be my fault. I repeatedly maintaining this thread that (the way I read it) comic is a father/son story. Maybe I read it as that due to being a father of sons? Don't know. But, it's apparent in the comics that Rick and Carl are the only true 'untouchable' characters as far as dying.....at least to this point, considering all that has happened to them.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
I still question that... and I certainly agree when regarding the show, that'll never, ever happen; they have neither a reason nor the balls to do it. Kirkman on the other hand most certainly does, on top of already maintaining the thought that there are no 'main characters' in TWD (which is clearly BS, but something Kirkman still reiterates). I truly could see at least Rick dying in the comics at some point and Carl being a central figure; I think the 'safest' character in TWD is Carl, but even then..no one is 'untouchable'. I mean hell, (Spoiler for comics) one of the supposed main characters lost his hand, and the other his eye. Kirkman is the type of man to kill them off using one of their ailments as the catalyst. Keep in mind, this is the guy that kills babies.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
That could be my fault. I repeatedly maintaining this thread that (the way I read it) comic is a father/son story. Maybe I read it as that due to being a father of sons? Don't know. But, it's apparent in the comics that Rick and Carl are the only true 'untouchable' characters as far as dying.....at least to this point, considering all that has happened to them.

That's right! Right there, that is what I'm talking about. It's all Gary's fault!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
I still question that... and I certainly agree when regarding the show, that'll never, ever happen; they have neither a reason nor the balls to do it. Kirkman on the other hand most certainly does, on top of already maintaining the thought that there are no 'main characters' in TWD (which is clearly BS, but something Kirkman still reiterates). I truly could see at least Rick dying in the comics at some point and Carl being a central figure; I think the 'safest' character in TWD is Carl, but even then..no one is 'untouchable'. I mean hell, (Spoiler for comics) one of the supposed main characters lost his hand, and the other his eye. Kirkman is the type of man to kill them off using one of their ailments as the catalyst. Keep in mind, this is the guy that kills babies.  :lol

I haven't read the latest issues....I'm waiting for Volume #20 to hit but I'm still waiting SPOILER  for Rick or Carl to get killed in some sort of random manner....like when Abraham received that random crossbow bolt through the head. I'd expect as the comic continues on your theory would seem to make sense. Kill Rick off and have Carl become center stage.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth of Wall Street
« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
Much better episode tonight. I still think they need to pick up the pace with only 3 episodes left..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:11:27 PM by Metropolaris »

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #403 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »
I liked that they jumped around but it was still pretty boring.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #404 on: March 09, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
I thought it was a pretty good episode. Nothing special, though, kinda like the last few.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #405 on: March 09, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
That was pretty good, but Daryl and Beth separating is going to delay plot progression even more going forward.

Also, does anybody watch the Talking Dead? Does anybody thoroughly enjoy it? I watch most of it for tidbits/previews but so much of it is filler crap.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: March 09, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
Thought it was a good episode. It's going to be interesting to see how Daryl 'fits in' to the new group. Did he join up just not to get killed? Probably? I'm curious as to who took Beth? Or if it will even be resolved this season. I wonder if whoever took her had that all set up. The clean home....inviting food....maybe stake them out a couple days and then release a hoard of zombies on them?

I guess it's shaping up for a reunion finale at Terminus.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: March 10, 2014, 03:43:40 AM »
Boring overall. I can't seem to care for any of the characters of this show anymore besides Rick. Sure I like Michone and Daryl, but Daryls ccharacter is taking a beating. I just want all these seperate storylines to add up at this point, this is taking a long time to do. Next weeks episode looks like it can be good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: March 10, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
This weeks episode was a big improvement over last week! At least when they stayed away from Daryl and Beth. The character development wasn't really that much better than last week but the acting was much more sincere, or so it seems to me. Some interesting turns in the story, Beth being abducted (thank God) by someone with a white cross painted on their back window. Daryl falling into the hands of the raiding group that Rick barely escaped from. Glen studying the Terminus sign and presumably heading there. Was that sign ahead or behind the path Maggie is taking? Was it even the same track?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #409 on: March 10, 2014, 10:29:51 AM »
Maggie and company storyline was great. Maggie is such a good character.

I found the house with everything tidy interesting. Just what is that about?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
Maggie and company storyline was great. Maggie is such a good character.

I found the house with everything tidy interesting. Just what is that about?

I'm wondering if it wasn't a 'trap'? Set up to get people comfortable and stay there a couple days then....they lead a group of Walkers to the door...remember, Daryl said everything was nailed shut except the front door....then when whoever is there is fleeing the scene, in the chaos the 'kidnappers' can grab whomever they choose?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #411 on: March 10, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
I think it's pretty basic...someone was living there, and something happened to them (or they were just stupid enough to leave it unattended for a while). Now, who knows why someone able to acquire that much food and keep it tidy and safe enough for so long only to seemingly kick the bucket outside of the house and/or abandon it; but I think setting up all that as a 'trap', with no other lure to go inside the actual house (or find it in the first place) seems pretty farfetched to me. I think the 'cluster' (not exactly a 'herd'..?) of walkers was simply stalking them for a while and was a coincidence but...eh, I think it would've been made obvious if it was something more than what was shown, or of any future importance.

Overall I loved this episode; great acting, some tense and interesting moments, and it furthered the storyline for the big coalescence. Although I hope they have a big turning point for the plot for the finale aside from the obvious.

RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
I think it's pretty basic...someone was living there, and something happened to them (or they were just stupid enough to leave it unattended for a while). Now, who knows why someone able to acquire that much food and keep it tidy and safe enough for so long only to seemingly kick the bucket outside of the house and/or abandon it; but I think setting up all that as a 'trap', with no other lure to go inside the actual house (or find it in the first place) seems pretty farfetched to me. I think the 'cluster' (not exactly a 'herd'..?) of walkers was simply stalking them for a while and was a coincidence but...eh, I think it would've been made obvious if it was something more than what was shown, or of any future importance.

Overall I loved this episode; great acting, some tense and interesting moments, and it furthered the storyline for the big coalescence. Although I hope they have a big turning point for the plot for the finale aside from the obvious.

I think the 'obvious' clue to it being a trap was the multiple times Beth chose to say whomever left them the food was a good person....whoever was putting makeup on the Walkers was a good person....that there are still good people in the world....and so on and so on. I think the entire manicured home and inviting food stash was a smokescreen for someone to check them out for a bit. Beth was kidnapped by bad people because like Daryl said......all the good people are dead.

Then again....the odds are I'm severely over thinking it.

I love how in every instance thus far this second half as soon as any of them have felt safe that environment is immediately ripped,from them. Just as Daryl says to Beth that they should stay for a bit....BOOM....it hits the fan and she's kidnapped.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #413 on: March 10, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »
I actually completely forgot that Beth was taken by that car.  :lol Yeah, that kind of throws a wrench in the gears. I remember thinking it was people from Terminus while I was watching but then realized her bag was on the ground and looked like it was thrown, like a struggle occurred. Hrm..

Yeah, I love when they're out in the wilderness, it really showcases the apocalyptic side of things. It's kinda felt like society hadn't crumbled much due to the show being so focused on one group or stronghold and showing so many people all the time, with no insight into what the big picture looks like. It's great seeing the landscapes and all the decomposition of the world since the outbreak.

RIP DTP.

Offline adastra

« Reply #414 on: March 12, 2014, 04:20:50 AM »
I have been watching all the episodes to date, but I'm kinda getting bored  :P

I think that there is too little happening.. Or more like everything happens so slowly.
I almost wish that there would be something supernatural or something other that would make it more interesting;

-  Mutated breed of zombies, Like that weird long tongued, Lizard-like creeper in Resident Evil II (game)
-  ARMY-stuff, CDC-Stuff something like that :P
-  Oilrig in the middle of the fucking atlantic where they all go with other survivors and a zombie break happens there :D

...Those were propably one of the worst ideas ever, but I just need something to keep myself interested :D

Anyone agree ? :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: March 12, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
Not about the mutated lizard zombies, but definetely agree that something different needs to happen. I'm definetely on board for some army stuff, at least something that matters.

I'm not completely against different forms of zombies though. Like in the beginning of this season, when that nerd kid got that sickness and turned. In the beginning of the next episode it looked a minute as if he was hiding, as if he was trying to sneak up on whoever that was who came around. Before I shortly realized that that wasn't the case, I thought it was pretty cool.

Something needs to happen though, that's for sure, and I don't only mean 'oh wow big season closer with a lot of zombie head shots'. I think it's too late to completely redeem this season with something like that, but this Washington DC stuff looks promising enough for next season.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #416 on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »
These last two episodes bored me to death. Damn, and I was so positive after that great Carl episode to start these final episodes!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: March 12, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »
I think it'd be awesome and show some balls if we never had a resolution of Beth's kidnapping. Never hear or see her again, no more scenes with her...never see the car with the white cross again....that's that. She's gone. The world they live in sucks....

It'd show some guts and free up air time for new characters.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
A couple of years ago, they might have had the balls to do that with this show. Not anymore though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
Or at least they don't find her for a couple seasons. Id be cool with that. I'm on board with something different needs to happen. I like the alone in the wilderness stuff, but I can't take it with the less interesting characters or the newer ones that we just haven't built enough of a relationship with as viewers to really care.