Poll

Which one's kit is better looking?

Portnoy
52 (36.9%)
Mangini
89 (63.1%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Portnoy's vs. Mangini's drum set  (Read 45449 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Portnoy's vs. Mangini's drum set
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
I haven't watched the video but I know in an explanation of his drum set up MM mentioned the fact that he has six (or was it eight) pedals he uses. I think 2 of them were for electronic sample triggers. I assume they were triggered.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »
As a drummer, I don't really like symmetry on a drum set. That's just me, personally. I always loved Portnoy's, "Albino Monster"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »
I would of loved for Mangini to use his Vai kit. The current one seems excessive to me, even if he uses everything.

As far as the original question, I love the Purple Monster. That and Gavin Harrison's kit have been my favorite kits for years. Not a fan of MP's Albino, or Siamese Monsters either.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2014, 09:55:33 AM »
Gotta go with MM's kit. I get why MP had 2 kits side by side, and it was nice for when he had guests join him on drums, but I like MM's better, if nothing else because he can play everything. With MP's kit, he was limited to whatever kit he was on. And I like that MM's has a smaller footprint overall.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4nhzy1g0-s&feature=youtu.be
First time I've seen the live performance of this song.

Wow, that was incredible!  The drum solo was fantastic, and I love that it was embedded within an instrumental song this time instead of its own thing.  Really enjoyable!

Errrr... I just have to ask this question: When he is doing the above hits for the main melody of the song (with the bell-like sound), there's like two of them that happen without him hitting anything. Does that mean all those bell sounds were actually backing track?

Those are done with his feet.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if it has been discussed,  but there's one reason why I enjoy MP's kit more. That's how It looks on camera.  I was bummed about how MM was filmed at the last release. It's impossible to get a good angle of Mike's drumming with that kit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »
MM plays all of his kit.

MP only played one of his two kits at at time.

Apart from very occasionally swapping kits mid song. But you could argue that there was nothing he could play on the small kit that he couldn't play just as easily on

the big kit.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
I think Mangini's is a niftier contraption, but in terms of aesthetics it's Portnoy for me. Mangini's drum kit looks a little cluttered - all those drums suspended off huge bars. Mangini's is technical, function-over-form, all supports and railings. I bet it's a blast to play, but you can see too much of the engineering, and it makes Mangini look a little more tucked away. Portnoy always managed to dominate the stage from his behemoth - it was daunting, showy. A little bit cooler.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
The moment I read " cluttered " - I immediately thought of this very pic :

That pic basically sums up the word " cluttered ". When I think of Mangini's kit - i think of "organised".

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »
The difference in angles makes it kind of hard to compare.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »
Agreed! It's a dream when you're sat down in it, and I'm sure it plays like one, but it's all this business -

The huge bars over the top, all that scaffolding. I like Mangini's kit more as a technical instrument, and Portnoy's more as a terrifying hub of drums and destruction.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2014, 03:39:32 PM »
But you could argue that there was nothing he could play on the small kit that he couldn't play just as easily on the big kit.

That is irrelevant really, each kit had it's own sound its like saying there's nothing he plays on the octobans that he couldn't play on his floor tom.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
But he had bass, snare toms and octobans on both "sides".

That's my point. The big kit had everything the small kit had and more.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
Yes but different sizes and tightness of skins for different sounds, IIRC the smaller kit is for ballads and alike things, where the big kit is for prog stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
IIRC the smaller kit is for ballads and alike things, where the big kit is for prog stuff.

So that's why Ytse Jam, As I am and Stream of Consciousness were played on the small kit at Budokan... interesting.

:neverusethis:

Offline jonnybaxy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
IIRC the smaller kit is for ballads and alike things, where the big kit is for prog stuff.

So that's why Ytse Jam, As I am and Stream of Consciousness were played on the small kit at Budokan... interesting.

:neverusethis:

YTSE JAM was recorded when MP's kit wasn't AS big, SoC is more challenging time sigs than round the kit complex.

But I may also be wrong because i also believe that the toms are bigger therefore more suited to standard rock, I need some confirmation or something here...

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »
All DT songs could be played on the smaller kit, you'd have just have less cymbals and toms to work with. I don't think there is a reason besides Portnoy wanting a John Bonham kit to play on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2014, 04:25:14 PM »
Proggy Excess of course. And to look cool .

The same reason some bands change guitar after every song.

Despite being in the same tuning.

Unless you're a total tone whore like The Edge who actually thinks a white 1960 Gibson Les Paul will sound different to a black 1960 Gibson Les Paul.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »
The second Siamese head has a 20" bass drum, small steel snare, reversed rack toms, a gong drum as a floor tom, lower pitch octobans, 13" hats, and more unusual crashes.

The second Albino head is obviously big and loud for the purposes of playing the Octavarium songs that used the large, acrylic/steel drums of the Bonham kit.

The second Mirage and Black & Silver head uses a small steel snare, relatively large, single-headed rack tom, two floor toms, a gong drum, a bright ride, small hats, something called a "propeller," which I think is actually called a chopper, and more cowbell.

So basically kit one is metal and kit two is progressive.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »

Unless you're a total tone whore like The Edge who actually thinks a white 1960 Gibson Les Paul will sound different to a black 1960 Gibson Les Paul.

racism?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »
The moment I read " cluttered " - I immediately thought of this very pic :

*snip*

That pic basically sums up the word " cluttered ". When I think of Mangini's kit - i think of "organised". MM's kit looks just as cluttered and random from the front, but both kits are organized for the respective drummer to play it.

*snip*

I'm sorry, but they both look equally cluttered or organized to me. They're both a shit-ton of drums, and as Shadow Ninja pointed out, the difference in camera angles makes it look way different to compare.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »
The fundamental difference is that MM's kit is almost perfectly symmetrical.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
I will admit, purely based on aesthetics, the symmetry of MM's kit is very appealing to me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »
While the symmetry makes it easier for MM to play, and does look nice, it also makes it seem more excessive and redundant in that regard.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what it means in terms of functionality, but is visually appealing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what it means in terms of functionality, but is visually appealing.

I think it means he doesn't need to cross his arms or something. Considering how fast the guy can play, it must be making a difference for him!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »
nope, he's playing them with his feet.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »

Yeah, this really. A while ago there was an MM interview where he essentially said "I'm in DT now. Excess is fine, almost demanded." (heavily paraphrased)

I think as being the drummer of DT he probably gets a shit-ton of endorsements, so he can afford to rack up an enormous kit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BMcP_2112

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
I'm a personal fan of Mike Portnoy's "Black and Silver Monster."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »
As a drummer who's played big kits and 4 piece kits - from my personal experience - smaller kits force you to be more creative because you're so limited.

Gavin Harrison said a similar thing... He said basically being limited is better as you have to think more.

I hate playing on massive kits. I've not found them to be more fun than small kits. :dunno:

My ideal kit would probably be one bass with a dbl pedal. Snare. 8" and 10" rack tom and 16" floor.

Maybe a 14" floor in there too. Hi hats. Ride. Left crash, Right crash, China and one or two splashes.

That would be perfect for me :p

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
As a drummer who's played big kits and 4 piece kits - from my personal experience - smaller kits force you to be more creative because you're so limited.

Gavin Harrison said a similar thing... He said basically being limited is better as you have to think more.

I have made that point many times before, and have received a lot of flak for it. The usual counter-argument is "you can play on a big kit whatever you can play on a small kit", but it simply doesn't happen in 99% of the cases. When drummers sit behind a big kit, they invariably make use of all of it, which more often than not results in plain runs over the toms etc. A small kit forces you to shift your focus on the rhythm you're playing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:45 AM »
This exactly.

At the jam night I used to go to weekly - the house kit was Bass with double pedal. Snare. 4 rack toms and two floor toms.

And all the "metal" drummers always played every single tom on every single fill.

I only ever went crazy on that kit if we were playing Freebird and we were all going insane at the end...:lol

But apart from that - I used it like a 4 piece.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2014, 12:07:24 PM »

I hate playing on massive kits. I've not found them to be more fun than small kits. :dunno:

My ideal kit would probably be one bass with a dbl pedal. Snare. 8" and 10" rack tom and 16" floor.

Maybe a 14" floor in there too. Hi hats. Ride. Left crash, Right crash, China and one or two splashes.

That would be perfect for me :p

While I am not a fan of double bass drums, I just find it weird to play, I really dislike having only a few toms. It really limits the sound option and long single stroke fills just sound meh when you have three tones to work with.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
So incorporate some bass, snare and cymbals...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »
I don't really care how big or small a kit is if someone can make good music with it.