Author Topic: Metropolis Pt. 2 : Scenes from an heresy!!  (Read 4338 times)

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
Metropolis Pt. 2 : Scenes from an heresy!!
« on: February 25, 2014, 03:31:06 AM »
Hello guys!!

I've never hide the fact that SFAM was not part of my favorites DT albums - yes I know, I am part of the 0,1% people in this case in the whole universe.  :loser:

First, "concept albums" never were my cup of tea.
For exemple, I never was a fan of the "sooooo long instrumental parts", which I find boring.

Second, there is some tracks on this album which I adore, and others that I no longer can bear.
But I never really enjoy the whole album in its full entity.

That's why I decided to listen only the tracks I really like, even if that made lose all its logic to the album.
Of course I know that's totally illogic, mainly if you consider all the missing lyrics, but "musically speaking", I really enjoy it this way.
Here's "my" tracklist of SFAM:

1 - Regression
2 - Overture 1928
3 - Strange deja vu
4 - Fatal tragedy
5 - Beyond this life
6 - Home
7 - One last time
8 - Finally free.

This was my "heresy" of the day!! :xbones
Hope I will not burn in hell forever for this... :biggrin:
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metropolis Pt. 2 : Scenes from an heresy!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:42:58 AM »
Why wouldn't you keep Through My Words?  It's only a minute long.  I guess it makes sense if you cut to Fatal Tragedy right where the band kicks in, but all in all this just wouldn't work due to the segues between the songs.

I always hate not listening to a full album.  I feel funny about skipping tracks, if I plan on listening to an album, it's from start to finish, no exceptions.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:25 AM »
But if you ask to people who don't "really" like some others album of DT, I don't think that they're listen all the songs of those albums, am I right ?? ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:08:34 AM »
Well, it's just a personal preference.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline liran95

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:32 AM »
Don't you like "The Spirit Carries On"?  :omg:

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:57:03 AM »
I can't bear this one anymore, and the fact that it was constantly played during their recent tours didn't help at all. :facepalm:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:01 AM »
I don't see why any opinion should be "heresy". There isn't a single song or album that is loved or even liked by the whole fanbase. Everything is loved by some, liked by many, hated by a few, in varying proportions.

I also don't think SFAM is special. I still enjoy it a lot, and really love a few of the songs, but it's not that great overall and I rank it as my second least favourite DT album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:45 AM »
The only major omission from the shortlist to me is TSCO.

I think SFAM is easily one of the best things DT has ever done (only behind SDOIT), but I also understand when others aren't as big on it, because it's an album that's much greater than the sum of its parts.
If I was picking and choosing songs, probably only TSCO would make the cut, but I can't pick and choose. It's an album that demands to be listened to as an album, and because of that, it's an album I can/will only listen to as a whole.
I think it's DT's best album experience, but not the best song experience, if that makes sense.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 05:20:46 AM »
The only major omission from the shortlist to me is TSCO.

I think SFAM is easily one of the best things DT has ever done (only behind SDOIT), but I also understand when others aren't as big on it, because it's an album that's much greater than the sum of its parts.
If I was picking and choosing songs, probably only TSCO would make the cut, but I can't pick and choose. It's an album that demands to be listened to as an album, and because of that, it's an album I can/will only listen to as a whole.
I think it's DT's best album experience, but not the best song experience, if that makes sense.

Agreed about the album experience. A couple songs I find work on their own, especially BTL and TSCO, although each still works better in the album.

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:00:55 AM »
I don't see why any opinion should be "heresy".

Sorry it was just a bit of humor... ;)
In fact in France - don't know about others countries - , when you say that SFAM is not your favorite DT album (or at least part of your DT top 3), you are really considered as an heretic. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 06:06:06 AM »
I haven't listened to SFAM in eons (must remedy that) but my initial reaction was similar to ariich.   I felt that - unlike similar efforts from Queensryche and WASP - the songs didn't stand on their own as well.   It felt like the lyrics had been shoe horned into the songs and if it didn't sound quite right then "so be it" - the story had to be told.    Unlike many I just can't say that I love an album as a whole piece/concept if the individual songs don't grab me just like any other album.  In fact if the songs don't grab me I generally won't even bother with the concept at all.

I need to revisit it and see if I still feel the same................must be 5 years since I listened to it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:56:39 AM »

It's DT's Abbey Road. :p

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »
It's DT's most overated album. :loser:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
I sort of know what you mean. I'm cooler on the record than most - it's in the lower tier. That's still a good tier, sits with Awake and Black Clouds & Silver Linings, but I think the problem is I'm not that hot on the concept. It's neat, but it's not something I hold particularly close to me, and it doesn't elevate the album any. The lyrics are a bit prosaic, it's iffy.

But then, I'm a little cool on concept albums altogether. I think I like an album to be an anthology - my favourite albums are Images and Words, Octavarium, and Dream Theater (not in that order). Lots of songs telling lots of self-contained stories, fairly diverse, with a focus on songwriting. I think music is a great format to tell a short story, a little meditation, but if an album wants to tell one big story, it'd better be a pretty badass narrative to justify dwelling on it for a full hour. SfaM isn't that story for me.

There is loads of good music. I love Strange Deja Vu. (And the visuals on the latest tour bring it to life!) I love Fatal Tragedy. I love Beyond This Life, The Spirit Carries On and Finally Free - although I wish FF didn't have the BBC Radio 4 Comedy Theatre bit at the end. Funnily, I think the hypnotherapist voice adds something. I like "Now it is time to see how you died. Remember that death is not the end, but only a transition." That's a great way to end a song, if it were up to me every song would end like that. I like the way Regression mirrors The Spirit Carries On, too, it's a great intro. But I think, for all that Fatal Tragedy might be the perfect DT short-form rocker, I could've liked it more if JM's last lyrics of the 20th century had been a bit more than exposition.

Musical continuity is a different story, mind. I love musical continuity. But that's probably because it still works out of context. The keyboard break in the middle of Learning to Live works a treat on its own, but it's even better on the heels of Wait for Sleep. The effect is always, always either greater than the sum of its parts or equal to it. I think I give Six Degrees Disc 2 a much easier ride, because that is more of an anthology. The lyrics are related, but distinct, and the musical reprises are gorgeous.

SfaM, in fairness, has that, and it's triumphant - but in the end, the songs just don't do as much for me as the rest of DT's catalogue. SfaM's solid, but for me, it's rarely incredible. I don't think I'd change it, though. It's a big album for a lot of people. It's their second breakthrough. Massive, and important, and phenomenal, and I always have a good time with it. Praise be.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »
Maybe, but I&W is even more overrated.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 11:11:01 AM »
Scenes From A Memory is 100% perfect, every note is integral. Taking anything out is indeed heresy, shame on you.  :P
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
I think your redone playlist is actually very nice and balanced. I'm all about rearranging the tracks in an album, it really makes it interesting and can make it almost a completely different sounding album (I know this is just taking tracks out, not rearranging, but still). Picking apart an album to one's liking is not heresy in my opinion ;)
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »
I sort of know what you mean. I'm cooler on the record than most - it's in the lower tier. That's still a good tier, sits with Awake and Black Clouds & Silver Linings, but I think the problem is I'm not that hot on the concept. It's neat, but it's not something I hold particularly close to me, and it doesn't elevate the album any. The lyrics are a bit prosaic, it's iffy.

The lyrical concept is nothing great, and I don't know that many people regard the album highly for that, but the common musical threads running across the album really tie it together in an amazing way imo, and I think that helps elevate it. That and the music just plain kicking ass.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
Scenes From A Memory is 100% perfect, every note is integral. Taking anything out is indeed heresy, shame on you.  :P

Basically this :lol

It's really just a perfect album, beginning to end. Nothing could really be done to it to make it any better; the track list is phenomenal as it is.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:21 AM »

The lyrical concept is nothing great, and I don't know that many people regard the album highly for that, but the common musical threads running across the album really tie it together in an amazing way imo, and I think that helps elevate it. That and the music just plain kicking ass.
::: Musical continuity is a different story, mind. I love musical continuity. [...] SfaM, in fairness, has that, and it's triumphant.

I agree! I also think it's got more feelgood riffs than the rest of the band's catalogue. I'm not entirely sure what a feelgood riff actually is, but there's this quality to every single melody in Overture 1928 and Strange Deja-Vu that can bring any room to life. Distorted, crunchy chords, but still very light, full of air. Classy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 04:41:36 AM »

::: Musical continuity is a different story, mind. I love musical continuity. [...] SfaM, in fairness, has that, and it's triumphant.

I agree! I also think it's got more feelgood riffs than the rest of the band's catalogue. I'm not entirely sure what a feelgood riff actually is, but there's this quality to every single melody in Overture 1928 and Strange Deja-Vu that can bring any room to life. Distorted, crunchy chords, but still very light, full of air. Classy.

I'm not sure any other DT album kicks off with a better punch than SFAM (excluding the intro of Regression of course). That whole contiguous run of Overture 1928 > Fatal Tragedy is so energetic and exciting that it's guaranteed to get you pumped.
And riffs such as the middle change in Strange Deja Vu, and the Inspector Gadget riff of Fatal Tragedy certainly make me feel good. :biggrin:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
I think SFAM could possibly work without TSCO.

*hides*

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
There are no skipable tracks on SFAM.  It's a great album from beginning to end.  This thread will explode in 5...4...3...2...1...:splodetard:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
Maybe, but I&W is even more overrated.
6DOIT is the most overrated album. It's not *that* overrated either, but it's more so than the rest.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 03:34:47 PM »

*hides*

I would tend to agree as TSCO seems to be quite standalone although in the context of the album, it serves important functions. First, it ties the end to the intro, Regression. Second, I think it brings a necessary positive ending to the tragic story of Victoria.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »

*hides*

I think it could work, but nowhere near as effectively.
One Last Time is ballady and uplifting, but I don't think it effectively wraps up the story (I can't believe I'm even mentioning story here :lol ) as TSCO does, of him coming to terms with his previous life, and feeling positive about both past and future. One Last Time still leaves things open, and isn't a conclusion before the final reveal of Finally Free. I think the album really needs that sprawling, laid back track of TSCO before the dark ending.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »
Prompted by this thread to do what I'd been meaning to do for a while which was blow the dust off of this album and give it a spin.

I wondered if it might feel dated due to the Live Scenes DVD feeling exactly that due to the visuals.

Nope. This still stands up to me as DTs most focused effort to date. Sure the plotline might feel a little weak but musically I just don't think there is a note out of place. It's flashy without being gratuitously so. It's subtle in places yet still over the top and pompous where it should be.

The melodies and songwriting are both catchy. There's just something so focused and driven about the album. The performances are stellar from everyone and I love MPs drumming on this album.

The mix is quite dry yet deep. Nice loud louds and quiet quiets.

There's less emphasis on "how can we be heavy?" on each track and more emphasis song structures that work for the flow of the album. And boy does this album flow.

I just think it's pretty perfect in all departments. Whether you actually like the songs is a matter of opinion but I don't know if DT will hit these heights again as far as flow and songwriting goes.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »
I adore this album, most of it at least.  I think it kinda runs out of steam towards the end.  I rarely get all the way through it without pulling it out before the end.  I feel the same way about disk 2 of SDOIT, it drones on for too long at the end but is otherwise a magnificent piece.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »
I adore this album, most of it at least.  I think it kinda runs out of steam towards the end.  I rarely get all the way through it without pulling it out before the end.  I feel the same way about disk 2 of SDOIT, it drones on for too long at the end but is otherwise a magnificent piece.

For me, Home represents a major speed bump. The album has such great flow before AND after.
I realize it is important for the narrative, but musically it has to be the most inflated piece in their catalog. I love the ending though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »
Wha?

But those solos! Has to rank as one of JRs best solos! And JPs aint bad either!

The womp womp riff. The unison end section. The contrast between loud and quite sections. The riffary. The odd time sections. The melody.

I think Home is a standout track.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »
Yeah, it's me, I know. I just think it stops the album dead in its tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

Home is the best song on SFAM by a mile.  :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
The womp womp riff. The unison end section. The contrast between loud and quite sections. The riffary. The odd time sections. The melody.
The moaning. :neverusethis:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »
Prompted by this thread to do what I'd been meaning to do for a while which was blow the dust off of this album and give it a spin.

I wondered if it might feel dated due to the Live Scenes DVD feeling exactly that due to the visuals.

Nope. This still stands up to me as DTs most focused effort to date. Sure the plotline might feel a little weak but musically I just don't think there is a note out of place. It's flashy without being gratuitously so. It's subtle in places yet still over the top and pompous where it should be.

The melodies and songwriting are both catchy. There's just something so focused and driven about the album. The performances are stellar from everyone and I love MPs drumming on this album.

The mix is quite dry yet deep. Nice loud louds and quiet quiets.

There's less emphasis on "how can we be heavy?" on each track and more emphasis song structures that work for the flow of the album. And boy does this album flow.

I just think it's pretty perfect in all departments. Whether you actually like the songs is a matter of opinion but I don't know if DT will hit these heights again as far as flow and songwriting goes.

:clap:

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »

Home is the best song on SFAM by a mile.  :P

Agreed. It's also my favorite DT song of all time.