Author Topic: NHL Thread 2014-2015: 3 in 6  (Read 54725 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL Thread 2014-2015: And then there were 16...
« Reply #665 on: April 22, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
Yup, I would say Toronto won that trade. I never understood the Flyers trading JVR.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #666 on: April 22, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
Yup, I would say Toronto won that trade. I never understood the Flyers trading JVR.

It made sense from the standpoint in that we needed defense, and it was a trade for players of similar age with similar contracts, a good straight swap in that regard. The WTF comes from JVR playing really strong and showing he could live up to his #2 draft position. Schenn was floundering in Toronto, and we got him hoping he would turn into something. But why in the world would you trade a sure thing for a hope... I don't fucking know.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #667 on: April 22, 2015, 02:04:16 PM »
The thing about the Leafs is, they should be better than what they've been playing.  One stumble after another.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #668 on: April 22, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
Yeah, you're right.  I overestimated how 'solid' Schenn was in Philly - his was in the middle of the depth chart up here, and everyone thought that was 'underperforming' - ie, he should've been #1 or #2 at D.  JvR has been one of the few consistent performers at forward.  If anyone is untouchable, I'd like to hope it's him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #669 on: April 22, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »
I was reading earlier today that the Bruins were asking about Lupol at the Trade Deadline.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #670 on: April 22, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »
It's a rarity to see divisional rivals trade with each other though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #671 on: April 22, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »
Strong start boys.....now just keep your foot on the gas the entire time!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #672 on: April 22, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
But don't you think there will be some changes? Or are they locked into the Kessel/Phaneuf?

I like Lupol. I'd take him down here. Always plays well against the B's. Or is he a stiff too?
Will they deal Kadri?

I don't think anyone is untouchable.  Lupol and Kadri are as good as we have right now. I like Kessel, with the right support.  Phaneuf is a piece of shit, and needs to go.

The problem with Toronto isn't always issues with the club/players... it's the freaking pressure and media scrutiny.  Look at how many players (and coaches) flourish outside of Toronto... Steen, Schenn, Stempniak and Grabovski come to mind immediately.  It's been that way for 10+ years.  Players leave Toronto, and perform much better.
Schenn is a terrible defenseman though.  :P

Also looks like regular season Habs decided to play tonight. :(

EDIT: Didn't see your correction my bad.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #673 on: April 22, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »
This is a completely random thought I've had for a long time. Does anyone else feel that most writers/bloggers/etc constantly misuse the term "Top 2 D-man"? I feel that way too often they say that when they mean to say "Elite D-man". Theoretically speaking, there would be 60 legit top 2 d-men in the league, but a lot of people who throw around the term would only use it to describe 15-20 players.

Does this make sense?
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: April 22, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
This is a completely random thought I've had for a long time. Does anyone else feel that most writers/bloggers/etc constantly misuse the term "Top 2 D-man"? I feel that way too often they say that when they mean to say "Elite D-man". Theoretically speaking, there would be 60 legit top 2 d-men in the league, but a lot of people who throw around the term would only use it to describe 15-20 players.

Does this make sense?

Makes perfect sense. I think 10,15... Maybe 20 yrs ago there were indeed a small breed of 'top 2' D men. But nowadays with how athletic these guys are and just plain 'good'....it really should just be Elite D man.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: April 22, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
Enjoying the Blues response to the seven thousand challenges they were given by the media and fans over the past day and a half

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #676 on: April 22, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »
I'm loving this game guys!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: April 22, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
I wouldn't let up...keep doing whatever it is they're doing! Just don't get anyone hurt.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #678 on: April 22, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »
I don't have access to the game, but did Dubnyk leave because of the puck to the nuts or because of the 6 goals?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
I don't have access to the game, but did Dubnyk leave because of the puck to the nuts or because of the 6 goals?

Pulled after the 6th goal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #680 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
I'd like to think of it as a combination of a literal and figurative shot to the nuts.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41:56 PM »
I'd like to think of it as a combination of a literal and figurative shot to the nuts.

:rollin in its truest form......

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #682 on: April 22, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »
Way to go Devan Du6nyk.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #683 on: April 22, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »
I feel bad for the guy tonight. This morning he was talking about how he was pumped to play at home tonight and experience the crowd and then they boo him off the ice. Sounds like the defense for the Wild are also partly to blame
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: April 22, 2015, 10:10:03 PM »
I feel bad for the guy tonight. This morning he was talking about how he was pumped to play at home tonight and experience the crowd and then they boo him off the ice. Sounds like the defense for the Wild are also partly to blame

.....and you could blame the Blues for bringing it.... :tup

Proud of them tonight. First 'test' of adversity this playoff year and they answered the bell.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #685 on: April 22, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »
I'm happy they won. It's what I needed. A Sens win and a Wild loss
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: April 23, 2015, 06:39:14 AM »
Wow, NYC sports radio actually spent most of my morning commute talking and taking calls on the Rangers!  What a rarity

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #687 on: April 23, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »
Wow, NYC sports radio actually spent most of my morning commute talking and taking calls on the Rangers!  What a rarity

It really annoys me how little people seem to care about hockey. A few months ago when the Rangers and Islanders were playing (the game where the Rangers came back from three two goal deficits) they put the game on MSG2 so they could show the worst record in the NBA Knicks game on MSG1. My cousin doesn't get MSG2 in his dorm and had to find the Islanders feed somewhere. And he goes to Hofstra which is two blocks away from Nassau Coliseum so he's right in the middle of Islanders territory. ESPN shows NASCAR and the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest but they don't touch hockey. Even back in high school I remember on a day where we were doing nothing in History, the whole class was talking about the Lakers/Celtics NBA Finals and I'm sitting there like "How about Blackhawks vs Flyers?" It's so stupid because people are really missing out on the most exciting sport in the world, especially when it's playoff time.

Anyway, hopefully the Rangers finish off Crysby and the Penguins tomorrow night. They have a bad habit of letting series go to six or seven games and exhausting themselves by the time they get to the later rounds. Especially if the Islanders get past the Capitals, you know that Rangers/Islanders is going to be an emotional series so I would like for them to get some rest before that.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: April 23, 2015, 11:06:43 AM »
Yea, I remember watching that Rangers/Islanders game too and being so baffled.  I get it that the Knicks are a more popular team in general, but like you said, they were so bad and the rangers so good that it made no sense in that context, but whatever.

I usually listen to Boomer and Carton in the morning and Boomer loves the Rangers and always tries to talk about them, but Carton just shuts him up usually although this morning he finally said he was giving in and the Rangers deserved the airtime to talk about.

It is sad, but its true though, Hockey just isn't as popular at the other three major sports.  Hockey fans however are way more dedicated to the sport so the fans may lack quantity but make up for it in quality.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #689 on: April 23, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
What's crazy is that there are three, I repeat THREE, NHL teams in the NYC area. So obviously somebody is following hockey around these parts. What other sport can boast of 3 pro teams in one city?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #690 on: April 23, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
What's crazy is that there are three, I repeat THREE, NHL teams in the NYC area. So obviously somebody is following hockey around these parts. What other sport can boast of 3 pro teams in one city?

Last count had me at 4, if you say NYC area, as Devils play only a few miles outside the city.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: April 23, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »

Last count had me at 4, if you say NYC area, as Devils play only a few miles outside the city.

Rangers, Devils, Islanders... who else?  Flyers arent far away, but not what I would call NYC area and Buffalo is as far away as Pittsburgh so they don't count either.

And yea, no doubt there are fans here, they just dwarf in numbers compared to the other sport fans.  NYC area also has 2 football, 2 baseball, and 2 football teams as well, all of which besides probably the Nets I would say have more fans than any of the hockey teams.  Thats all speculation on my part, no proof, but I think if you lived in the area you would notice this.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #692 on: April 23, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »

Rangers, Devils, Islanders... who else?  Flyers arent far away, but not what I would call NYC area and Buffalo is as far away as Pittsburgh so they don't count either.

And yea, no doubt there are fans here, they just dwarf in numbers compared to the other sport fans.  NYC area also has 2 football, 2 baseball, and 2 football teams as well, all of which besides probably the Nets I would say have more fans than any of the hockey teams.  Thats all speculation on my part, no proof, but I think if you lived in the area you would notice this.

I had a brain fart, I double counted the Islanders in current home and new home.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #693 on: April 23, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
See, now that was the Blues team we are used to seeing.  Games like that are why many consider them legit Cup contenders.  I just hope they keep it going and don't fall asleep at the wheel again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #694 on: April 23, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »
See, now that was the Blues team we are used to seeing.  Games like that are why many consider them legit Cup contenders.  I just hope they keep it going and don't fall asleep at the wheel again.
I saw the score this morning and thought of you guys.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: April 23, 2015, 06:43:30 PM »

Hitchcock seems to think they've turned the corner:

“We’re going to play our game now. We’re not going to chase it around the rink like we did the first three games. We’re playing our game. We changed the way we used to be. We’re playing it. This is the way it’s going to be for the next little while. If they can match it, great on them.”

Love the swagger there.....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #696 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
Surprised and relieved that Detroit is actually poised to take a 3-1 series lead. That said, even if that does happen, Tampa could very easily storm back.

I forgot I have an additional reason to root for Detroit, as we have Tampa's 1st round pick. They lose now and we could theoretically pick 22nd, but more likely around 24th. More they move on the later that pick gets.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #697 on: April 24, 2015, 06:41:30 AM »
Surprised and relieved that Detroit is actually poised to take a 3-1 series lead. That said, even if that does happen, Tampa could very easily storm back.

I forgot I have an additional reason to root for Detroit, as we have Tampa's 1st round pick. They lose now and we could theoretically pick 22nd, but more likely around 24th. More they move on the later that pick gets.

Boy, did you speak too soon!  Detroit didn't just blow that lead, they deapthroated that mother-f'r.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: April 24, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »
I might have to light off one of my new fireworks if the Rangers win the series on a friday night at home tonight!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #699 on: April 24, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »
I might have to light off one of my new fireworks if the Rangers win the series on a friday night at home tonight!

I really hope they win tonight. I'm actually gonna be home to watch it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask