Author Topic: Ice Bucket Challenge  (Read 20310 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
Can't link from work, but Jason Becker did it, and called out EVH and DLR. Pretty classic video too  :lol

That was amazing!

:clap:  Here is the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RT-J_20aI

Fucking exactly.

I love how people are saying things like "a large majority" of this is just people doing it because they want attention or someone else did it or blah blah blah. As if they have some kind of statistical figures on it. Sure, there are people doing it for those reasons, but don't fucking tell me why I did something just because you have a chip on your shoulder. I did this because I see ALS all the fucking time at work and it absolutely breaks my heart. Because I see men and women who've led good lives and are too young to die, have too much left to do, losing all of their body's functions and wasting away in front of the people who love them. If I have to do a silly stunt to raise awareness in this ADD day and age, that is fine with me, as long as it gets people talking and thinking. It's insulting to see people here putting it down as if everyone doing it is just crying out for attention and FB likes. Get something more worthwhile to bitch about, or maybe just be happy that a really good organization is now 50 million dollars richer.

And again, I say:  :clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:37 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #177 on: August 25, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »
Yeah it is a bit like that "no make-up selfie" thing a little while ago - yes some people might think the thing, yes you can just donate to charity without doing the thing, and yes some people may be either donating or doing the thing for reasons other than pure generosity and caring about that particular charity... but the fact is that people don't donate to the causes the same amount without these things to spread them, and things like this really do appear to work.

Putting out information about why the cause is worthwhile will get a certain amount of donations, but someone just saying "Here's this worthwhile cause, please donate" will not spread as much as someone doing the same thing with some sort of gimmick attached to it. Stupid stuff spreads on the internet all the time anyway, so using them to spread good messages or raise money for charities is a good idea.

Watching a lot of videos of people doing the challenge in their back gardens with what looks like sunny weather, I can't help but think someone should have started this campagin in the winter, to see some real dedication from the people taking the challenge.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »
Watching a lot of videos of people doing the challenge in their back gardens with what looks like sunny weather, I can't help but think someone should have started this campagin in the winter, to see some real dedication from the people taking the challenge.

We can start a winter challenge. "Have sex with a snow man within 24 hours or donate $100 to St. Jude Children's Hospital".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »

Yeah, but here's the thing:  Even though it takes more to...er..."man up" (for lack of a better term) and do the challenge in Winter, FAR more people will do it when it is warm and sunny.  So I think the campaign owes part of its success to the fact that it is going on now when it is warm.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »

Yeah, but here's the thing:  Even though it takes more to...er..."man up" (for lack of a better term) and do the challenge in Winter, FAR more people will do it when it is warm and sunny.  So I think the campaign owes part of its success to the fact that it is going on now when it is warm.
Oh yeah I definitely agree it's better for the purposes of spreading more to do it now, I was just thinking I would like to see some people doing it in the winter when it's even more impressive / uncomfortable.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
John Mayer's AWESOME response to Jason Becker's challenge, with a comment from Jason himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlhE_ErO8M

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
John Mayer's AWESOME response to Jason Becker's challenge, with a comment from Jason himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlhE_ErO8M

Pure class.  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2014, 01:24:48 PM »
That was fantastic.  Best one I've seen thus far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
My cousin posted this on Facebook. I liked his thoughts on it a lot so I wanted to share them...

" There is something self-indulgent, sanctimonious and attention seeking in a lot of these videos. I am not questioning the motives but personally prefer the old-fashioned ethic of anonymous altruism. A lot of people are just posting videos of themselves dumping water over their own heads and not giving any money. I wonder if this "challenge" gives people a way to feel they have contributed something to society without actually doing anything. This seems to be a modern trend, and worthy of discussion at least from an "awareness" standpoint. It raised $40 million, that's true. But this attention seeking method has me concerned that this may be at the expense of other charities. Will all charities be forced to resort to these tactics? Will charities be funded based more on the strength of their viral internet gimmicks and less on the intellectual and moral worthiness of their cause? Personally, I hope not."
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: August 25, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »
But Tick, this was a grass roots campaign by a poor guy in Massachusetts that's only 29 fucking years old. It just happened to go viral. Good for that. This had nothing to do with any "tactics' made by any particular charity.

I mean, was your cousin questioning Jerry Lewis back in the day that other charities would suffer during his telethon?

(not directed at Tick or his cousin), but there's NOTHING to bitch about here, folks.

Fucking exactly.

I love how people are saying things like "a large majority" of this is just people doing it because they want attention or someone else did it or blah blah blah. As if they have some kind of statistical figures on it. Sure, there are people doing it for those reasons, but don't fucking tell me why I did something just because you have a chip on your shoulder. I did this because I see ALS all the fucking time at work and it absolutely breaks my heart. Because I see men and women who've led good lives and are too young to die, have too much left to do, losing all of their body's functions and wasting away in front of the people who love them. If I have to do a silly stunt to raise awareness in this ADD day and age, that is fine with me, as long as it gets people talking and thinking. It's insulting to see people here putting it down as if everyone doing it is just crying out for attention and FB likes. Get something more worthwhile to bitch about, or maybe just be happy that a really good organization is now 50 million dollars richer.
As you say, fucking exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »
Will charities be funded based more on the strength of their viral internet gimmicks and less on the intellectual and moral worthiness of their cause?

I doubt it.  Those who actively want to give to charity will actively pursue charities they identify with and means to give.  Those who are more passive do need something to grab their attention.  And as said repeatedly in this thread, if a viral compaign is the best means in 2014 of grabbing people's attention, so be it.  Bottom line is, it is working.  Personally, I find these repeated attempts to...er..."pour cold water" on this fundraiser simply because it does not meet the personal criteria how people think charities ought to increase awareness or raise money to be distasteful. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
  Those who are more passive do need something to grab their attention.  And as said repeatedly in this thread, if a viral compaign is the best means in 2014 of grabbing people's attention, so be it.

This isn't really a new concept, it just seems that because of the way at which it's gained popularity.

For example, the many cities that do annual aids walks (or something similar). These have been going on for years, and in my mind, are not really any different than the ice bucket challenge.

That majority of these people would probably have never contributed to aids had it not been for the walk, but they actually feel like they are helping with both their pocket and in terms of getting the word out by participating in something that requires a large group. I'm sure there were plenty of people in the crowd who didn't donate for whatever reason, but their presence and participation contributed in some way.  Anything in today's world that can unite millions of people for a common cause if a GREAT thing. That's a whole nother success story for the challenge in itself. Regardless of whether or not everyone is donating is irrelevant. There are other elements to things like the Ice Bucket Challenge that are equally important.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
But Tick, this was a grass roots campaign by a poor guy in Massachusetts that's only 29 fucking years old. It just happened to go viral. Good for that. This had nothing to do with any "tactics' made by any particular charity.

I mean, was your cousin questioning Jerry Lewis back in the day that other charities would suffer during his telethon?
I don't know what he thought about Jerry Lewis.
I'm not knocking the whole thing but I liked some of the stuff he wrote. and yeah...a 29 year old did it as a grass roots effort and it went viral, but that doesn't mean the flood gates won't open because of its success.
When a movie like Jaws got made, 20 shark and killer whale movies followed.
When Rocky was made, 20 boxing movies followed.
When The Poseidon Adventure was made, 100 disaster movies followed.
Get my point?
Just because something happened as a grass roots movement doesn't mean it will not be copied by other charities due to its success.
At the end of the day, I am NOT against it, but for many its just a cool way to be a part of a social media phenomenon and nothing more. Many who did the challenge don't even know it was for ALS, they just did it cause its the in thing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
I'm not sure why you are comparing movies and charities.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
Not sure if this was linked before: https://dailybuzzlive.com/mississippi-girl-dies-breaking-neck-ice-bucket-challenge/

That looked so painful when I saw it, and honestly.. I'm not surprised. Still, what a sad outcome.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
Then I'll explain my thought process. When something works and succeeds in anything it gets copied by those who do something similar.
If Lowe's gives free rip and remove of carpet, Home Depot does it next.
If McDonald's comes out with a value menu, Burger King has to have one too.

Charities will possibly copy success as well. That was my point.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
Then I'll explain my thought process. When something works and succeeds in anything it gets copied by those who do something similar.

Yes, but how is that in any way, shape, or form a bad thing?  ???

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
Sure. But what about it? I don't see the bad in that. I mean, all the people that have already been giving to other charities won't suddenly stop giving to them if they don't have a viral campaign, will they? I mean, they started donating when it wasn't viral, so there's evidently some reason behind it, and that won't stop existing. The difference is that any charity that has something like this go viral get an influx of people that wouldn't donate in other circumstances, but I don't see how that would cripple existing charities without a viral challenge or something comparable.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »
I am rather happy I did the challenge, mostly because the naysayers and Negative Nancys that seem to populate the Facebooks now are now "the other guys".
Most ridiculous one I heard today: We shouldn't use water because places like Australia are struggling with water.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »
Not sure if this was linked before: https://dailybuzzlive.com/mississippi-girl-dies-breaking-neck-ice-bucket-challenge/

That looked so painful when I saw it, and honestly.. I'm not surprised. Still, what a sad outcome.

I was wondering what the outcome of that was. Tragic indeed. The little sister got squashed too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
As ill-conceived as that stunt was (it clearly showed a lack of understanding of everyday physics), the real question is: what fucktard releases a video of someone they know getting seriously injured?

EDIT: Never mind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
That's good.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »
As ill-conceived as that stunt was (it clearly showed a lack of understanding of everyday physics), the real question is: what fucktard releases a video of someone they know getting seriously injured?

Every subscriber to the internet?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2014, 05:10:11 PM »

Yes, but how is that in any way, shape, or form a bad thing?  ???
I just find the fact that people are doing it to be part of a social media event is something that personally turns me off. Far too many didn't even donate and don't really know why they did it. Its just how I feel about it. You feel otherwise and so do millions of other peeps so who cares what I think. Do your thing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
Sure. But what about it? I don't see the bad in that. I mean, all the people that have already been giving to other charities won't suddenly stop giving to them if they don't have a viral campaign, will they? I mean, they started donating when it wasn't viral, so there's evidently some reason behind it, and that won't stop existing. The difference is that any charity that has something like this go viral get an influx of people that wouldn't donate in other circumstances, but I don't see how that would cripple existing charities without a viral challenge or something comparable.
Dumping Ice water over your head isn't donating and it isn't doing anything in general.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Most ridiculous one I heard today: We shouldn't use water because places like Australia are struggling with water.
It's not ridiculous; if everyone that poured water over themself instead donated that water to Africa, an entire village could have a years worth of clean water.joke

I saw that the death posted earlier was a hoax, but I think there was an actual death related to this here in the UK. However that was because of someone doing their version of the challenge by basically jumping from a cliff into cold water... so even if it was texhnically related to people paericipating in this it was not exactly caused by the recommended challenge.

It may be worthwhile at some point for someone to find out / announce how much campaigns like this help charities in the long run. I think this one is a pretty good example because ALS is not very high profile compared to some causes, so as well as a short term rush of donations this will actually have raised awareness of the issue significantly so that future donations might increase. However so called "slacktivism" or "clicktivism" can supposedly end up hurting causes in the long run because publicly participating in an "awareness" campaign gives people the feeling of having contributed and less likely to donate or donate again (think "I don't really need to donate to that cancer charity,  I posted a picture of myself without make-up last year").

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »
Dumping Ice water over your head isn't donating and it isn't doing anything in general.
Who do you think is responsible for the $48 million increase in giving to that charity?

Methinks it is all those people dumping ice water on their heads.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
I know Hef. I'm just saying that plenty of people dumped water over there head and gave nothing. I'm happy it raised all that money but because I don't plan on donating to the charity I'm not going to dump ice water over my head.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
How do you know people didn't donate? Is that just misanthropic assumption, or based on actual numbers?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2014, 06:48:03 PM »
1.  You don't know that they did not donate.  AND
2.  Even if they did not donate, every time somebody does this, it raises awareness.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
You HAVE to dump water on your head or you can't donate.

It's okay, I've never donated to a charity and I never will. It's just who I am; the world NEEDS villains.  I'll also probably never dump iced water on my head and videotape it. I do however enjoy that people do this, and charity is never a bad thing.  *saves toad from over-chlorinated pool and brings him to nearby lake*

*then uses his body to fish*

*****superstar - but he didn't get far*****

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »
For some of us, we've donated to different charitiesfor Lung Cancer.  My mom passed away from it.  I did the ice bucket challenge but I did not donate since I have donated to other charities.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure that whoever has a regular income and did the challenge, also donated. And the young ones who can't afford to do so, who cares, they're keeping the momentum alive.