Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi  (Read 140020 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi
« Reply #1960 on: February 26, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
So this will be the Eighth film in the Alien universe ?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1961 on: February 26, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »
I decided to watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 for the first time ever today... gotta say, I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a "flawed masterpiece," if there ever was one. I actually think it outdoes the first two films in some notable regards (i.e. the directing, the acting), but its faults are still pretty taxing.

I'll say this though; David Fincher was the best director to ever work on an Alien film. It's just a shame that it was his film that got micro-managed by the studio.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1962 on: February 27, 2015, 01:33:32 AM »
I decided to watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 for the first time ever today... gotta say, I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a "flawed masterpiece," if there ever was one. I actually think it outdoes the first two films in some notable regards (i.e. the directing, the acting), but its faults are still pretty taxing.

I'll say this though; David Fincher was the best director to ever work on an Alien film. It's just a shame that it was his film that got micro-managed by the studio.

Yes, the Assembly Cut is really good, and by far beats the "normal" version of Alien 3. And I think you could make a great case for the last bit as well. Personally, I would agree. Scott hasn't done much outside of Alien and Blade Runner that I have liked, Cameron does have the Terminator movies, Aliens and True Lies, but with Fincher I really love most of his movies, with the exception of Benjamin Button and maybe Panic Room. It's a shame that Fincher didn't get more control, but on the other side, the young Fincher of Alien 3 was a very different director than the Fincher we have today. Still, I think there are glimpses of brilliance in the movie, that he would improve later on.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1963 on: February 27, 2015, 02:52:54 AM »
I love Benjamin Button. And Fincher as well, great work on pretty much everything he does.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1964 on: February 27, 2015, 04:22:11 AM »

Yes, the Assembly Cut is really good, and by far beats the "normal" version of Alien 3. And I think you could make a great case for the last bit as well. Personally, I would agree. Scott hasn't done much outside of Alien and Blade Runner that I have liked, Cameron does have the Terminator movies, Aliens and True Lies, but with Fincher I really love most of his movies, with the exception of Benjamin Button and maybe Panic Room. It's a shame that Fincher didn't get more control, but on the other side, the young Fincher of Alien 3 was a very different director than the Fincher we have today. Still, I think there are glimpses of brilliance in the movie, that he would improve later on.

I'd say there's a ton of brilliance in Alien 3, in regards to Fincher's directing. On a sheer technical note, it's one of the better debuts I've ever seen. I think it's a testament to his skill that the film ended up being as good as it is, at least in the Assembly Cut, when you consider what he was up against while making the film.

They were literally writing the script while shooting the film, often shooting a scene five minutes after it had been written. I can say from personal experience that that's a terrible way to make a movie. You should pretty much always go in prepared and with understanding of what kind of film you're trying to make. In the hands of a less capable director, nothing could have saved Alien 3.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1965 on: February 27, 2015, 05:24:47 AM »
I say 6th.  I count the AvP movies as glorified fan fiction.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: February 27, 2015, 05:31:35 AM »
I say 6th.  I count the AvP movies as glorified fan fiction.

:------ Prometheus - - - Prometheus 2 - - - - Profit ?
 :
 :                                                                : - - - - Alien 3 - - - Alien Resurrection.
 :                                                                :               
 :- - - - - - - - - - - - -Alien - - - - - - Aliens - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Alien 5 - - - - - ?
 :
 :
 :------- Avp - - - - AvpR - ?

Aren't the two AVP films set *way* before the first Alien ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1967 on: February 27, 2015, 05:35:25 AM »
I don't care when they are set because they are awful and I don't count them.

But I think you are right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:32 AM »
I seem to remember the cast still have futuristic tech even though it's in the past. Whatever.  I don't hate the first AVP as much as Resurrection.

But regarding the new Alien5 - I bet any money that FOX will be wanting Blomkamp to make a trilogy if it goes well.

The Alien universe is becoming the new Star Wars with all of it's offshoots and prequels and sequels.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1969 on: February 27, 2015, 05:42:53 AM »
I think the less said about the AvP movies, the better. As for Prometheus, it feels like a very shoe-horned prequel. Now that they are making a sequel to it (supposedly), it will apparently have nothing to do with Alien. So to me it feels like the Alien connections in the first was forced upon Scott by producers or something, and he tried to have as little of it as possible.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: February 27, 2015, 05:46:09 AM »
I'm not on board with this current trend / obsession for " everything is in the same universe !!! ".

So Pixar reference their own work ? Big Deal. Edgar Wright always self-references in his work. Doesn't mean that Shaun, Spaced, Hot Fuzz, World's End are all in the same universe or anything. It's just fun easter eggs for the fans.

And that whole shit about ET being a Jedi because Lucas put ET in TPM as a tribute / homage / fun joke / whatever for Spielberg.

For whatever reason - people like to invent whole universes and backstories for incidental characters / background extras that was never intended or thought

about.

My brother showed me a video of - someone had gone into detail as to why some extra in Star Wars that you see on screen for literally half a second is

pivotal to the entire plot.

:facepalm: OH. MY . God. Get a life. Seriously.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1971 on: February 27, 2015, 05:53:07 AM »
Yeah, the ET thing is pretty silly. But the MCU is a cool thing, and I'm perfectly fine with the Alien Universe being a thing. Those are pretty much the only major one's I've seen though.

Aren't the two AVP films set *way* before the first Alien ?

Yeah, I think it's about 150 years before. And maybe 80 years before Prometheus.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1972 on: February 27, 2015, 05:56:15 AM »
Nope, the AvP films are set in a different universe than Prometheus, actually. Guy Pearce's Weyland character is the founder of Weyland Industries in the Prometheus canon, while Bishop's actor is the CEO of Weyland Industries in the first AvP film.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1973 on: February 27, 2015, 06:03:28 AM »
Oh yeah, didn't think about that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: February 27, 2015, 06:20:29 AM »
Yeah, the ET thing is pretty silly. But the MCU is a cool thing, and I'm perfectly fine with the Alien Universe being a thing. Those are pretty much the only major one's I've seen though.

It's fine and dandy if it's *intentional* but when people start pretending like everything is in one universe it gets really annoying.

Like - if Tarantino decided as an easter egg to put the Hatori Hanzo sword in the background of The Hateful Eight for eagle Eyed viewers -

- someone with way too much time on their hands would write an entire thesis on how The Bride's actual sword ended up in the Wild West

- and why it's CRUCIAL to the plot of Jackie Brown.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1975 on: February 27, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »
I'm not on board with this current trend / obsession for " everything is in the same universe !!! ".

So Pixar reference their own work ? Big Deal. Edgar Wright always self-references in his work. Doesn't mean that Shaun, Spaced, Hot Fuzz, World's End are all in the same universe or anything. It's just fun easter eggs for the fans.

And that whole shit about ET being a Jedi because Lucas put ET in TPM as a tribute / homage / fun joke / whatever for Spielberg.

For whatever reason - people like to invent whole universes and backstories for incidental characters / background extras that was never intended or thought about.

My brother showed me a video of - someone had gone into detail as to why some extra in Star Wars that you see on screen for literally half a second is pivotal to the entire plot.

I agree with this for the most part.  I think I've seen the Star Wars thing you mention, too, and even though the premise is absurd, I thought it was pretty well done.  In school, you get these crazy assignments to write an argumentative piece for or against something that you may not actually agree with at all, but it's your job to "prove it" anyway.  I always found them to be interesting exercises.  Can you somehow show a connection that was never meant to exist?  Can you argue that it affects things it was never meant to affect?  Videos like that are just extreme versions of that.  If people want to take them seriously, then whatever.  I usually figure even the person making them doesn't necessarily believe it.  It was just something to do, an exercise.

Tarantino does a lot of that stuff on purpose, and his intention is that his films do all take place in the same world.  Red Apple Cigarettes, Big Kahuna Burgers, the Vega brothers, etc.  But that's really an exceptional case.  His movies take place in a demented version of our own present day (for the most part -- Django Unchained is an obviously outlier) and it doesn't change anything about the films themselves.

Whether or not Prometheus and Alien take place in the same universe can affect how you view the films.  A lot of Prometheus had clear tie-ins to Alien, but now he's saying that that's not how it is.  So which is it?  Is it just a coincidence that the name Weyland seems pretty important in both "universes"?

Nope, the AvP films are set in a different universe than Prometheus, actually. Guy Pearce's Weyland character is the founder of Weyland Industries in the Prometheus canon, while Bishop's actor is the CEO of Weyland Industries in the first AvP film.

I figured that was Scott's way of thumbing his nose at the AvP movies, which he had nothing to do with.  Because

I count the AvP movies as glorified fan fiction.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1976 on: February 27, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
I blame Stephen King lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1977 on: February 27, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
I blame Stephen King lol

Although I do enjoy reading his books and thinking of ways that Flagg could have been behind it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1978 on: February 27, 2015, 09:00:54 AM »

For whatever reason - people like to invent whole universes and backstories for incidental characters / background extras that was never intended or thought

about.

My brother showed me a video of - someone had gone into detail as to why some extra in Star Wars that you see on screen for literally half a second is

pivotal to the entire plot.

It's not that big a deal.  Really.

It's just fun, for those who find it fun.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1979 on: February 28, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »
I was at my friends home movie theater and he had a few of his statues out.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1980 on: February 28, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »
 :tup

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1981 on: February 28, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
That's funny, I was just at a friend's house who has an amazing movie and memorabilia collection. He has sooo much cool shit.

We had an old school horror movie meetup (the theme was "creepy houses") and watched The Innocents (awesome!), The Old Dark House (ridiculous) and The Changeling... which was especially interesting because it apparently is based on a true story that took place here in Denver, though the movie takes place in Seattle. It was a blast!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1982 on: February 28, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
Just saw Big Hero 6. So awesome.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1983 on: February 28, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »
Just saw Big Hero 6. So awesome.

I've heard nothing but great things about this one but haven't had the chance to see it yet. I know my kiddos have seen it a couple times at their Grandparents.....I just haven't had the chance yet. I heard it was a great story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1984 on: February 28, 2015, 09:34:49 PM »
I've heard nothing but good about Big Hero 6 also.  I look forward to seeing it.

The Innocents (awesome!)

The 1961 black-and-white version with Deborah Kerr?  I saw that back in the 60's, I must've been five or six years old.  It scared the hell out of me.

The Changeling... which was especially interesting because it apparently is based on a true story that took place here in Denver, though the movie takes place in Seattle. It was a blast!

Another good one that I saw long ago.  I don't remember much about it other than it scaring the hell out of me, too.  And George C. Scott.  He was the man.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1985 on: February 28, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
Yeah, he was great. And yes, that is The Innocents you speak of. I can't imagine seeing it at that age! It was very good, and the unexpected ending really pleased me... as creepy as it was.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1986 on: March 01, 2015, 03:12:10 AM »
I too have heard nothing but good things about Big Hero 6, but somehow still not managed to muster up any real enthusiasm over seeing it. I might check it out sometime.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1987 on: March 01, 2015, 03:14:02 AM »
Here are my monthly little reviews Part 2: February

THE BOOK THIEF
(2012, Directed by Brian Percival)

After watching The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, which underwhelmed me a lot, I was still in vein of watching some WW2 movies. So, I picked this one, and I've liked it very much. All the actors do an amazing job, and the director IMO really grasped what it meant to live in a town during WW2 (not that I did that, but it really felt real). Even though there were a couple of really stupid moments, I could say that this is definetly a great movie, touching, but also inspiring and cute.
4/5

BERNIE
(2011, Directed by Richard Linklater)

I love Jack Black, and I've really never seen him in a role like this, and man, what a great job he does. This black comedy movie made me chuckle a few times but I couldn't stand the strong southern accent at times, and the narration done by Carthage's people. It was really annoying, like if there were a bunch of people talking to me while I was trying to watch the movie. Pity, because otherwise, I would've liked it more, but still, it's a pretty cool movie.
3.5/5

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM: SECRET OF THE TOMB
(2014, Directed by Shawn Levy)

This trilogy holds a special place in my heart, and even though the second movie wasn't so great, I've really enjoyed this one, despite of its incredible flaws, like two enormous plotholes and some useless characters that basically speak twice in the whole movie. But it was a lot of fun and jeez, it's Robin Willams' last movie too, that added an incredible dark touch to it.

3.5/5

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
(2014, Directed by James Gunn)

Great movie, but the overwhelming sci-fi atmosphere isn't my cup of tea. I've enjoyed the characters and the dialogue a lot (props to the screenplay writers), but at the end of the day I think that it's not a movie meant for me.

3/5

DESPICABLE ME 2
(2013, Directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud)

Funny, but the female character was quite annoying and I've watched it in italian, there was some terrible terrible voice acting. Although I laughed a lot, I must admit.

VOTE: 3/5

BIRDMAN (OR THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)
(2014, Directed by Alejandro G. Iñarritu)

Holy shit. One of the most experimental movies I've ever watched, everything about this was awesome, from the directing, to the editing, to the strange but fitting soundtrack, the cast, the plot EVERYTHING WAS INCREDIBLE GO WATCH THIS. But seriously I won't talk about anything specific because I just can't explain in words what is this movie.

VOTE: 5/5

OVERALL: Average month, with a bunch of ok movies and a masterpiece. Let's see what March brings.

Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1988 on: March 01, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »
NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM: SECRET OF THE TOMB
(2014, Directed by Shawn Levy)

This trilogy holds a special place in my heart, and even though the second movie wasn't so great, I've really enjoyed this one, despite of its incredible flaws, like two enormous plotholes and some useless characters that basically speak twice in the whole movie. But it was a lot of fun and jeez, it's Robin Willams' last movie too, that added an incredible dark touch to it.

3.5/5

The second movie was indeed not better than the first, but I do think it was funnier. Haven't seen this new one yet.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1989 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
Finally got around to watching Pulp Fiction for the first time. Overall I really enjoyed it although I think it is a bit overrated and could have been shortened a bit.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1990 on: March 01, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
Just watched The Wolf of Wall Street. I can't believe Leo doesn't have an Oscar yet.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1991 on: March 02, 2015, 12:40:51 AM »
I love Benjamin Button. And Fincher as well, great work on pretty much everything he does.

Benjamin Button filled me with rage.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1992 on: March 02, 2015, 02:05:12 AM »
Why? I thought it was lovely.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1993 on: March 02, 2015, 03:58:44 AM »
Benjamin is born a baby-sized old man. As he gets older and grows larger, he ages backwards. I sat through the entire movie waiting to see a 6' tall baby. I really wanted to see a 6' tall baby. In the end, Benjamin shrinks back down to normal baby size and dies. Lame.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:01 AM »