Author Topic: The Benefits of Home Ownership?  (Read 114411 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Benefits of Home Ownership?
« Reply #1435 on: June 07, 2024, 11:18:22 AM »
vroom vroom  pop on some good tunes and off you go

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1436 on: June 07, 2024, 11:30:34 AM »
I did that 2-3 times at my old house on each of the toilets.  A family member who is a plumber put a new gasket on the flush valve, but the leak came back over time.  I would just change out the flush valve completely.

Also had a plumber friend tell me what I did was enough, I don't think I need to go further on it (I hope).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1437 on: June 07, 2024, 12:01:27 PM »
Ready to ram people with it.  LOL

"Get off my lawn!!!"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1438 on: June 07, 2024, 01:56:29 PM »
I know this:

The next Home I buy is sure as hell not gonna be anywhere near a High School or School in general, per having to hear frequent crowd noise during an extensive number of afternoon and evening games (and not just Football or Soccer, but Ultimate Frisbee? lol..and sometimes it's not even from kids from the School itself, but other schools needing to use their fields).

And at times it's not even Sports, but just students having a party or a rally, blasting (at times awful) music for many hours.

I work from home, and I can put on headphones with Gray Noise, but it seems ridiculous when it has gone on for well over 3 hours, lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1439 on: June 07, 2024, 02:14:06 PM »
My wallet is a little lighter.

That's beautiful Joe.

And again, you've posted pics of your yard or parts of it before, and it's deceptive as I would have no idea you had as much as an acre.

My luck with gas powered machinery is awful.
I pay a guy/crew to cut my lawn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1440 on: June 07, 2024, 04:05:21 PM »
Most if my pictures are the front lawn but I have 2 sides and a backyard as well. Walking mower took me 1 1/2 to mow. Now 45 minutes. Not including trimming.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1441 on: June 07, 2024, 04:07:21 PM »
That's a nice tractor. I had one, but it ended up dying many years ago.

I walk cut my front yard a couple of weeks ago and it took 45 minutes easy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1442 on: June 07, 2024, 04:14:13 PM »

What's that contraption the tractor?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: June 07, 2024, 04:53:46 PM »
It bags all the cutting. In the 2 bags in the back. Great for fall leaf season. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1444 on: June 07, 2024, 05:03:32 PM »
Nice machine! I've got a push mower and I just leave the clippings where they may. It doesn't usually look too bad but there are spots where the clumps get kinda bad but that's usually from the strips of zoysia are.

On another note boy do I wish I knew basic electrical and plumbing. As a rule I don't fuck with electricity and water so I hire the pros but I could've saved myself about $500 with those skills. I had to get an old work fan box put in in the ceiling and unfortunately the existing hole was too small so $225 later the electrician was able to retrofit and get everything squared away and even installed the light fixture for me. Then my bathroom sink had a deep clog so I called the plumber who is familiar with my house and he ended up having to pressure blast the thing out. Another $280 there. Not that I had the tools for that job but that amount just for 45 minutes of work is a damn nice gig. Should have gone into the trades  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: June 07, 2024, 05:15:48 PM »

What a weapon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: June 07, 2024, 07:31:02 PM »
We did a small job recently for someone who had a leak in their bathroom. Someone else fixed the leak, they just hired us to do the drywall and finish work. Whoever fixed the leak moved the toilet in to the bathtub to get it out of the way. We offered to put the toilet back in place but the homeowner wanted a licensed plumber to do it, and asked if we could set that up. So instead of us doing it for a nominal charge, we subbed it out to a plumber who charged $450.

Without getting into too much graphic detail, I'll just say that we learned that there's actually a reason why some toilets cost a couple hundred, and some cost upwards of a thousand (or more!)  After we moved in, we replaced ours with a couple of relatively inexpensive ones from Home Depot, had them installed by pros (which cost more than the toilets themselves, but whatever) and figured we were good.  We then learned that there's a difference in "flushing power".  Those expensive ones pack a bit more punch, and are less likely to clog, more likely to move everything out that's supposed to.  Just something to think about.

To a degree, yes. We normally put in a Kohler that runs up to $300 and everyone seems happy with it. I don't know what the increase in value is if you get up much higher, unless you start factoring in additional features. Glacier Bay (I believe) touts a toilet that can flush 7 billiard balls. It's right on the packaging. I've thought if you are regularly shitting out 7 billiard balls worth of fecal matter, your toilet choice might not be your primary concern.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1447 on: June 07, 2024, 07:42:47 PM »
 :rollin :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1448 on: June 07, 2024, 08:52:18 PM »
I know this:

The next Home I buy is sure as hell not gonna be anywhere near a High School or School in general, per having to hear frequent crowd noise during an extensive number of afternoon and evening games (and not just Football or Soccer, but Ultimate Frisbee? lol..and sometimes it's not even from kids from the School itself, but other schools needing to use their fields).

And at times it's not even Sports, but just students having a party or a rally, blasting (at times awful) music for many hours.

I work from home, and I can put on headphones with Gray Noise, but it seems ridiculous when it has gone on for well over 3 hours, lol.

When we looked at homes in 2009, one priority was to be close to the highway so my wife could commute easily to work.  So we found one in a suburb near where we wanted....literally right next to our local Six Flags amusement park.  We got out of the realtor's car, heard the screams from the rollercoasters and just got right back in the car.  We didn't even go in the house.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1449 on: June 08, 2024, 05:18:01 AM »
Are there really any downside that outweights the benefits? If so please tell me, because I cannot think of one
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1450 on: June 08, 2024, 07:37:01 AM »
Are there really any downside that outweights the benefits? If so please tell me, because I cannot think of one

Are you speaking in general, as in the thread title?  If so, I can share a little bit.

My wife and I had mostly lived in apartments during our early years.  Our first place together, however, was a house, rented in the town where I had my first salaried job.  It was a good introduction to home ownership with some of the responsibilities but not all.  We had to mow the lawn and shovel the driveway, for example.  But things like the dishwasher or hot water heater breaking down were the responsibility of the landlord.

After a year, my job disappeared and the house was sold to someone else, so continuing to rent it was no longer an option.  We moved to a different state, and found ourselves apartment-hopping for the next ten years.  There were utility bills, but no lawn to mow or driveway to shovel.  Outside the four walls we rented, there was nothing we were responsible for.

After our second child was born, we finally (with the help of my parents) put money down on a house.  Our own space, no neighbors on the other side of the walls, or above us, or below us.  And of course, the financial benefit is that that monthly payment is now going towards equity rather than someone else's bank account.

The downside, which I knew about and had had a small taste of, was that everything is now your responsibility.  Not just the lawn and driveway, but the bushes, the trees, the building itself.  You paint it, replace the siding, fix the roof.  Inside, same thing.  You own that dishwasher, hot water heater, washer and dryer, furnace, etc.  If anything happens to anything, you fix it, which means you pay for it.  You don't have a landlord to call; you are the lord of the land.  And of course the expense is on top of your monthly house payments.  You put time, effort, and money into it.

As much as I looked forward to owning my house, and the benefits ultimately do outweigh the downsides, I'm essentially a lazy person.  I'd rather sit inside and listen to music, or make music, or play on the computer, while my wife, who is similarly lazy, watches TV.  Instead, a fair amount of time must be devoted to yard work and maintenance.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure.  If there's a downside to home ownership, that's the biggie in my opinion.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: June 08, 2024, 08:18:01 AM »

To a degree, yes. We normally put in a Kohler that runs up to $300 and everyone seems happy with it. I don't know what the increase in value is if you get up much higher, unless you start factoring in additional features. Glacier Bay (I believe) touts a toilet that can flush 7 billiard balls. It's right on the packaging. I've thought if you are regularly shitting out 7 billiard balls worth of fecal matter, your toilet choice might not be your primary concern.

Haha, we replaced all three toilets about a year ago (the people that lived here before were gross; I've replaced all the toilets half the sinks, and EVERY LIGHT SWITCH/ELECTRICAL SOCKET in the house; every one was caked with grime or smoke residue) and we saw that marketing thing. I had to tell my son EXPLICITLY that we were going to take that on faith and that we were NOT going to be testing it in practice!  (We have a pool table, too).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: June 08, 2024, 11:11:29 AM »
As much as I looked forward to owning my house, and the benefits ultimately do outweigh the downsides, I'm essentially a lazy person.  I'd rather sit inside and listen to music, or make music, or play on the computer, while my wife, who is similarly lazy, watches TV.  Instead, a fair amount of time must be devoted to yard work and maintenance.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure.  If there's a downside to home ownership, that's the biggie in my opinion.

I'm incredibly lazy and have mostly just paid people to do the work I don't or can't do. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1453 on: June 08, 2024, 12:45:33 PM »
I've gotten to that point as well.  I mowed the lawn at first, but I could never get my son to do it, even for cash.  The concept of chores for cash was introduced when he was around 12, and I think I talked him into it twice, and it was just a struggle/argument the rest of the time.  But by then I was making a bit more money myself, and decided I'd join the true middle class and pay some illegal immigrants to do my yard for me.  They come over once a week with multiple noisy gas-powered machines and leave an hour later, and when I look outside everything is nice.  So the time and effort isn't an issue, but it's converted to an additional expense.  Nothing's for free.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: June 08, 2024, 01:00:12 PM »
I enjoy making a playlist and mowing the lawn.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: June 08, 2024, 03:54:13 PM »
I'm incredibly lazy and have mostly just paid people to do the work I don't or can't do.

Damn bro, that's throwing money down the toilet.  Plus, even though it's a sucky job, you get a nice bit of satisfaction when it's all done and looks clean.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: June 08, 2024, 05:05:51 PM »
Damn bro, that's throwing money down the toilet.  Plus, even though it's a sucky job, you get a nice bit of satisfaction when it's all done and looks clean.

I don't see it as throwing money away. especially not when the house has doubled in value, and continues to go up further.  But sure, if I had the skill and desire I could save money, but it's not necessary. I paid someone to paint the house last year.  I paid someone to rebuild my front steps recently.  I pay someone weekly to mow the lawn.  I'd rather do things that I enjoy. Of course it would be a different discussion if I couldn't afford it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: June 08, 2024, 05:31:25 PM »
I don't see it as throwing money away. especially not when the house has doubled in value, and continues to go up further.  But sure, if I had the skill and desire I could save money, but it's not necessary. I paid someone to paint the house last year.  I paid someone to rebuild my front steps recently.  I pay someone weekly to mow the lawn.  I'd rather do things that I enjoy. Of course it would be a different discussion if I couldn't afford it.

I have this conversation with my wife all the time: what is more valuable to us right now, our money or our time/energy. When we met, we had more time/energy than money so we did more ourselves. Now we have more money than time/energy so we pay other people to do more than we might have done years ago.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1458 on: June 08, 2024, 05:33:26 PM »
I feel you, Cram. I try to do what I can (I installed the blinds in my house when we bought it, for example), but either I don't have the time or expertise to do things. We are looking to get our the rooms in our house painted that are not bathrooms or bedrooms. We are going to do it ourselves because we did the kids' rooms already. But some things are worth having others do, if you can afford it. We have a guy professionally clean our windows once a year, and he throws in a pressure wash on our pavers as a bonus. I could do all of that, but he does it much better and more efficiently and I save time. Time is money, after all. But I do try to push myself to learn a little more each year as well. Best to find a balance that works for you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: June 08, 2024, 06:19:39 PM »
I have this conversation with my wife all the time: what is more valuable to us right now, our money or our time/energy. When we met, we had more time/energy than money so we did more ourselves. Now we have more money than time/energy so we pay other people to do more than we might have done years ago.

Aren't you a handy man though?  If so, that even says more.  I simply don't hvae the skill although I'm sure I could learn.  My gf's father is very handy and has helped me with some smaller things around the house which has not only been very helpful and generous, but also learning experiences.

I feel you, Cram. I try to do what I can (I installed the blinds in my house when we bought it, for example), but either I don't have the time or expertise to do things. We are looking to get our the rooms in our house painted that are not bathrooms or bedrooms. We are going to do it ourselves because we did the kids' rooms already. But some things are worth having others do, if you can afford it. We have a guy professionally clean our windows once a year, and he throws in a pressure wash on our pavers as a bonus. I could do all of that, but he does it much better and more efficiently and I save time. Time is money, after all. But I do try to push myself to learn a little more each year as well. Best to find a balance that works for you.

Yeah for sure.  I think if I had kids it may force me to do things myself and then maybe recruit a helper.  Painitng is one thing I can do, but boy is it tedious.  I'd rather just pay than be miserable and do a poor job.  That's just me though.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1460 on: June 08, 2024, 06:47:06 PM »

That's always been my belief.  I usually won't pay someone to do something that I can do myself.  I always say it's Time vs. Money.  I can take the time and do it on my own and save money vs. hiring someone.  I painted my living room and hallway (15' vaulted ceilings) myself at my old house.  It took my wife and I 3 full weekends, but cost $600 in paint and supplies.  The professional quote was $3,000.  I watched one youtube video on how to cut in the corners and paint a smooth line and figured it out quickly.   

In the past 13 years, I've become pretty proficient at most housework - in two summers, I've learned how to operate and replace my pool equipment, which seemed really daunting when I moved in here.  In fact, just today I threw out a lot of pool stuff that the prior owners left because I knew I wouldn't be using it.  Electrical wiring can still confuses me, but I can do 99% of the projects and only hire contractors for major work.  I refuse to have a landscaper cut my grass when I can do it myself. 

I'm one of two homeowners on my cul de sac that cuts his own grass - everyone else has a landscaper do it, which annoys the hell out of me.  One guy has almost no grass, but he's made of money and it's a status thing for him to have "a guy" do for every little thing for him.  He throws so much money at contractors and cleaning people that it's insane. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: June 08, 2024, 08:56:44 PM »
Aren't you a handy man though?  If so, that even says more.  I simply don't hvae the skill although I'm sure I could learn.  My gf's father is very handy and has helped me with some smaller things around the house which has not only been very helpful and generous, but also learning experiences.

Yes and that can be a bit of an internal struggle. Most of the time I think I can do something, I usually can, and end up saving us money. I totally remodeled our fireplace, saving us thousands of dollars on the labor costs. but it took ~3 months, as I could really only work on it a few hours each weekend.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: June 08, 2024, 09:27:21 PM »
Unless I get a massive property I don't see myself paying someone to mow the lawn. I actually oddly like doing it, getting a small workout in while listening to music.

I typically balance how much I do around the house. Big projects I'll usually pay even though I could probably do it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1463 on: June 09, 2024, 04:57:57 AM »
I'll do the basic stuff - I can do some electrical work, most painting, and the yard work is all on us.  I have paid for painters once to get a faster/better outcome than doing it myself.  Plumbing - I always hire someone.

The other factor beyond time-vs-money is going to be aging.  As I get into my 60s and 70s, I'm not sure we'll want to endure the aches and pains of working in the yard and doing minor yard/housework projects; plus, we'll just be moving slower.  For now though, I don't mind the time aspect of things - as doing chores/projects is a way I can slap my earbuds in, and spend time with music.  I hammered out 4 albums yesterday I'd been meaning to get to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: June 10, 2024, 09:05:02 AM »
Yes and that can be a bit of an internal struggle. Most of the time I think I can do something, I usually can, and end up saving us money. I totally remodeled our fireplace, saving us thousands of dollars on the labor costs. but it took ~3 months, as I could really only work on it a few hours each weekend.

Shit, you sound like my wife.  In my HEAD, I can do anything. She is, depending on your constitution, either "the voice of reason" or "an incredible killjoy".  :)

But, look, almost every chore around the house fails when you apply "is my time better applied elsewhere?" test.  But I LIKE doing a lot of these things, and I'm proud of them when I'm done.  No judgement, and no offense at all to Cram, since it's a personal decision, but I grew up with a dad that COULD do all this stuff (at least before he got sick).  He grew up in a farm community, so he knew how to work on his cars, he knew how to build houses (he had a home building business before he got sick) and went to electronics school.  For me, it's more personal; I have great memories of being in the garage and working on my cars and my dad serving as a sort of human Haynes Manual.   

I'm proud of my deck I just built (if I could put pictures up I would, but my Imgur doesn't seem to want to load).  That one is a hard decision; I spent about $2500 on materials and I did most of that (with help from my step son).   Quotes for that are in the $15k to $20k so that is all about material savings.  But I probably would have done it anyway.  We spent money on landscaping a couple weeks ago, and I hated writing the check but honestly, I don't think I could have done that good a job, and honestly I wouldn't have wanted to.  I hate landscaping, so there's that.  I noted I changed out the toilets and electrical switches/outlets, and I meant that; I did it myself. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1465 on: June 10, 2024, 09:49:33 AM »
With only one day off a week, my time value of money is too high for me to tackle most big things around the house. Over the last week, I've had a plumber replace two faucets in the house, swap out a toilet, repair a faulty drain in a shower that put a hole in my office ceiling, and add a hose off the back of the house. All-in, it was a few bucks shy of $2.5K. More than half of that was labor.

There are a lot of things I'll tackle myself with the help of YouTube, but plumbing is something I have zero interest in doing. I'll happily pay someone to get on their back in the cramped space behind the garbage disposal under the kitchen sink. All it takes is for me to fuck up just a little bit, and I'm going to have to call a plumber, and maybe some additional contractors, anyway. I'll leave that to the pros.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 09:55:25 AM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1466 on: June 11, 2024, 10:17:38 AM »
We pay someone to do our yardwork.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1467 on: June 11, 2024, 12:31:34 PM »
We pay someone to do our yardwork.

Back in Dallas we did to. It was 35.00 a week and they would come every other week in the winter to get rid of the leaves. WORTH IT!

I used to take care of our pool, chemicals and cleaning out the leaves (we had a LOT of leaves). A year before we decided to sell. I got a pool service to do the cleaning and general care of it and I wondered why the eff I didn't this a long time ago.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1468 on: June 11, 2024, 04:14:01 PM »
As much as I would love to pay someone to do many things I just can't justify the expense when I have plenty of time to do it myself. I generally have more important things to do with my money.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: June 11, 2024, 04:40:02 PM »
I enjoy the serene moments working in the Yard.