Author Topic: "Trevor Rabin Appreciation Thread"  (Read 3778 times)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: "Trevor Rabin Appreciation Thread"
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2023, 08:45:30 AM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2023, 07:48:33 PM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2023, 09:04:16 PM »
Both songs are fantastic. Can't wait for this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2023, 11:14:58 AM »
Both songs are fantastic. Can't wait for this album.
Same, really enjoyed both singles.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online devieira73

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2023, 09:01:30 AM »
Great interview, covering A LOT of his career:
https://domino.elfworld.org/trevor-rabin-from-hit-songs-to-hit-films/?fbclid=IwAR0Si7MC8ey50WhA3css43Qad8B4pVKWsIHmv_fxtCjfvFmxweAEFkn18Rw

By the way, Chris recorded 98% of the bass on Talk :tup
Still there's no convicing answer to why he, Anderson and Wakeman didn't make a studio album.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2023, 01:28:31 PM »
Great interview, covering A LOT of his career:
https://domino.elfworld.org/trevor-rabin-from-hit-songs-to-hit-films/?fbclid=IwAR0Si7MC8ey50WhA3css43Qad8B4pVKWsIHmv_fxtCjfvFmxweAEFkn18Rw

By the way, Chris recorded 98% of the bass on Talk :tup
Still there's no convicing answer to why he, Anderson and Wakeman didn't make a studio album.

Nice dig at Steve Howe in there as well in reference to Rick's speech at Yes' Rock n Roll HOF induction.  First, he was surprised that Steve Howe complained about that speech in his autobiography, and then replied, "I guess you must have a sense of humor to find it funny, right?"
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2023, 01:51:58 PM »
From what I heard, Trevor wanted to write and record together in the same room and The other two wanted to just record their parts in their own studio and swap files.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online devieira73

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2023, 02:22:21 PM »
Liking a lot the new album, among the best this year for sure! It's really diverse with some calmer moments, but mostly very intense instrumentally.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2023, 08:20:38 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online devieira73

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2023, 02:10:49 PM »
Stadler review of the album:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/trevor-rabin-rio-album-review-by-bill-feltovic/

Agreed on almost everything, but I think it's a 8.5 or 9.0/10 album. :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2023, 07:02:31 AM »
Stadler review of the album:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/trevor-rabin-rio-album-review-by-bill-feltovic/

Agreed on almost everything, but I think it's a 8.5 or 9.0/10 album. :tup

I wouldn't disagree with that (I'll share this among friends: I didn't actually rate the record). I know I actually run out and buy about a third of the albums I listen to/review, and this is one of them.  I really dig this record a lot, though I am a big fan of Rabin generally. 

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2023, 09:28:26 AM »
Correct, the Rating on the review was added b the editorial team as Stadler submitted the review without it and since the record was already out they didn't want to wait for his reply.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2023, 10:09:57 AM »
Correct, the Rating on the review was added b the editorial team as Stadler submitted the review without it and since the record was already out they didn't want to wait for his reply.

My bad!!!  It's not far off.  I probably would have said 8.5. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2023, 07:30:10 AM »
 Nice review Stads!  I just ordered Rio and your review makes me even more excited now. I'm wondering if the blu-ray version has visuals along with the 5.1 and stereo 24 bit mix?  I guess I'll find out..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2023, 11:52:26 AM »
Just listened to Rio two times and wow, this is a great release! Trevor's guitar playing has only gotten better and he really cuts loose on this album.  His vocals are just as good as ever with good song writing. Very fresh sounding and inspired..
He's been hinting about a follow up tour with this music.  :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2023, 01:10:48 PM »
I just listened to "Push".  (Tried to watch it, too, but it was a bit too frenetic for me.)  Pretty cool song, very proggy, a lot of different ideas somehow coming together.  I also read Stadler's review and agree with nearly all of it, at least as it pertains to "Push".  The keyboard work was surprising.  I knew he could play, but I guess I was expecting "support" keys for the most part, not piano right up front duking it out with the guitars.  That atonal riff at the end as the song fades out was pretty cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2023, 08:36:10 PM »
The new album is really good!  Oklahoma is almost too good for words, and I love Goodbye to pieces.  I will get a lot of mileage out of this one.  I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy his natural singing voice; it's great to hear it again.  These Tears is particularly great as well.

My only beef is the overreliance on that damn vocoder vocal effect, but Trevor loves those layered harmonies, and I get that he is taking advantage of the modern technology.  Things like the beginning of Tumbleweed just sound like a computer is singing and the humanity is largely removed. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2023, 08:40:47 PM »
When you make an album all buy yourself you'll get that vocoder vocal effect.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2023, 09:13:13 PM »
That's always been an issue with Rabin's production.  It actually sounds "too perfect" a lot of the time.  Too clean and shiny, too exact.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »
The new album is really good!  Oklahoma is almost too good for words, and I love Goodbye to pieces.  I will get a lot of mileage out of this one.  I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy his natural singing voice; it's great to hear it again.  These Tears is particularly great as well.

My only beef is the overreliance on that damn vocoder vocal effect, but Trevor loves those layered harmonies, and I get that he is taking advantage of the modern technology.  Things like the beginning of Tumbleweed just sound like a computer is singing and the humanity is largely removed.

I agree; I tried to say that in the review. He's such a good singer, too!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2023, 05:50:36 AM »
It's been great seeing him doing the rounds with interviews (although the interviewers who want to spend a big chunk talking about a solo make me face palm every time).  His memory for things from many years ago is amazing.  He remember specific details about how Yes recorded this song or that song from the 80s.  And I never knew that he had originally written Love Will Find a Way for Stevie Nicks, but it stayed with Yes after Alan White heard the demo and insisted that they keep it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2023, 05:56:53 AM »
Man, I need to watch a few interviews, then.