Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 79912 times)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #560 on: February 02, 2023, 05:02:42 AM »
Is it possible they'll record a DVD for Stockholm date?

https://fb.watch/irnW8JIJoP/

It seems that video is down. It was sent by offical DT fb account. James was in the video and said that, Stockholm concert has a big surprise and will be a memorable evening.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:08:20 AM by SeRoX »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #561 on: February 02, 2023, 05:20:58 AM »
it sounded more like something for the end of the tour the way he talked about it

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #562 on: February 02, 2023, 07:34:09 AM »
jordan did say in a recent interview that the band is looking into recording a show...

Sounds promising. Did he mention whether it will be a Bluray/DVD or just an audio recording for the LNFA?
They already record audio of every show, so if he mentioned something like that, I would imagine he's referring to a video recording.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: February 02, 2023, 08:13:09 AM »
it sounded more like something for the end of the tour the way he talked about it

I may need my memory refreshed, but haven't they recorded a lot of shows at the end of the tour? 

Offline cminor

« Reply #564 on: February 02, 2023, 08:58:55 AM »
jordan did say in a recent interview that the band is looking into recording a show...

Sounds promising. Did he mention whether it will be a Bluray/DVD or just an audio recording for the LNFA?
They already record audio of every show, so if he mentioned something like that, I would imagine he's referring to a video recording.

I was just wondering because in 2020 when they shot Distant Memories in London, they announced months in advance on their social media that this show was going to be filmed. So it surprised me that it was only "secretly" mentioned in an interview this time.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #565 on: February 02, 2023, 09:29:07 AM »
I don't think they've decided if/when yet. If they want to record a show, it'll most likely happen during the upcoming(?) US tour leg. And if that happens, I really hope they do the two night thing they did for Luna Park and Distant Memories, so we can have all the new songs they played during this tour (all the songs from A View + the SDOIT tracks and TMOLS).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #566 on: February 02, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »
Jordan just posted a thing on FB about how its the 20 year anniversary for 6Degrees and a little clip of him recording The Glass Prision....Could they possibly add more of 6 Degrees to a recorded show??

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #567 on: February 02, 2023, 09:45:12 AM »
Jordan just posted a thing on FB about how its the 20 year anniversary for 6Degrees and a little clip of him recording The Glass Prision....Could they possibly add more of 6 Degrees to a recorded show??

I hope they barely touch disc 2 at all if so. We've already got it in its entirety on SCORE.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: February 02, 2023, 09:52:51 AM »

I hope they barely touch disc 2 at all if so. We've already got it in its entirety on SCORE.

I agree with you, but disc 2 has basically been played on this tour cycle so it seems inevitable that it would be on a live show recording at this point. I really want The Glass Prison and Blind Faith personally.  Wayyyy more than anything on disc 2.

Offline cminor

« Reply #569 on: February 02, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »
I don't think they've decided if/when yet. If they want to record a show, it'll most likely happen during the upcoming(?) US tour leg.

My bad. I thought all along Jordan had referred to the European leg of the tour although he most likely said a show of the 2023 tour will be recorded at some point. That makes sense.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #570 on: February 02, 2023, 10:02:04 AM »

I agree with you, but disc 2 has basically been played on this tour cycle so it seems inevitable that it would be on a live show recording at this point. I really want The Glass Prison and Blind Faith personally.  Wayyyy more than anything on disc 2.

+1 on Blind Faith. I'd love an extended instrumental bit with Jordan going nuts on the piano section.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #571 on: February 02, 2023, 10:11:17 AM »
Considering the band's left active years and James' voice they need to play fan's classics like The Glass Prison and Blind Faith* for a DVD. It's even suspicious now that James can perform these songs properly but I hope it's not late but there is no much time left. Questionable that why DT hasn't filmed these songs for a offical live DVD yet.

*Recorded for CiM but it's a bad quality, imo.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: February 02, 2023, 10:17:45 AM »
Considering the band's left active years and James' voice they need to play fan's classics like The Glass Prison and Blind Faith* for a DVD. It's even suspicious now that James can perform these songs properly but I hope it's not late but there is no much time left. Questionable that why DT hasn't filmed these songs for a offical live DVD yet.

TGP is on a different DVD too for the Gigantour.  I agree overall though, it's not on a DT live album where it should be.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #573 on: February 02, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »

TGP is on a different DVD too for the Gigantour.  I agree overall though, it's not on a DT live album where it should be.

The closest thing is actually the Bucharest show, which I'm patiently waiting to see rereleased through the LNFA.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: February 02, 2023, 11:05:24 AM »

The closest thing is actually the Bucharest show, which I'm patiently waiting to see rereleased through the LNFA.

I have the DVD but forgot about it.  I also don't count that either, though.  It needs the full professional DT release.  It's truly a song that deserves it.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #575 on: February 02, 2023, 11:21:59 AM »
I would be more than over the moon if they play The Glass Prison and record it somewhere on this journey. It's one of the very best songs ever. Period.

It's only a few weeks left for their gig in Tilburg, 013, where I will be. I mostly am looking forward to Answering the Call and The Count, again.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #576 on: February 02, 2023, 11:23:31 AM »
I would be more than over the moon if they play The Glass Prison and record it somewhere on this journey. It's one of the very best songs ever. Period.

It's only a few weeks left for their gig in Tilburg, 013, where I will be. I mostly am looking forward to Answering the Call and The Count, again.

Seeing The Count live many times will never be too many. What a great live song!

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #577 on: February 02, 2023, 12:31:44 PM »
013, Tilburg is a possible location for filming as well. Many shows have been recorded there and The Netherlands are a good market for DT.

The reason why there is no proper live version of The Glass Prison? My guess is that it's one of the hardest songs to play, especially with those guitar apeggio's at the beginning. Petrucci has mentioned that part as very difficult for him to play, because Rudess wrote them on keyboard (look at that making of video: Rudess' fingers are widely spread, almost alien like!). And Petrucci, being a perfectionist, probably is not too keen to have that song filmed live.

And didn't Myung (jokingly) fall from his chair after recording TGP? If I remember correctly, that was also part of the making of TGP as part of those making of movies for SDOIT - which I really liked (especially seeing Rudess playing a great keyboard part in the making of Misunderstood, but I've never heard those brutal strings back in the final mix, sadly enough...).

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #578 on: February 02, 2023, 12:38:42 PM »
Is there any chance JP could modify that guitar section of TGP live? I imagine he wouldn't want to play anything other than the studio version, but if changing one section is the difference between the fans hearing this song again or not, I truly hope he considers it.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #579 on: February 02, 2023, 12:44:03 PM »
I guess he can do that, but with enough practice I think he should be able to play the original arpeggio's as well, as long as they don't speed up from the original tempo (a thing which Portnoy sometimes seemed to do).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #580 on: February 02, 2023, 12:45:39 PM »
I guess he can do that, but with enough practice I think he should be able to play the original arpeggio's as well, as long as they don't speed up from the original tempo (a thing which Portnoy sometimes seemed to do).
There is no danger of that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #581 on: February 02, 2023, 12:53:44 PM »
The only songs we should expect never to see live are Best of Times and Never Enough (never again), as they were personal statements of a member who is no longer in the band.

Never Enough is highly likely to make a return.  They like playing it live, and have never had any qualms with Never Enough.

I've never asked them about their feelings about playing TBOT, but I could see that that one might not be one they would ever feel like doing.  Mike Portnoy was more vocal about not playing a couple of songs that were very personal to certain members, Space Dye Vest being the most obvious example.  But the other members have not ever voiced any such thing.  JP and James have disfavored certain songs that they have felt didn't go over well live, but never because they are "too personal."  But I could see that James might feel a little weird singing TBOT without MP being in the band. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #582 on: February 02, 2023, 01:10:53 PM »
I would think the most unlikely songs (based on lyrics) would be TBOT and HYF, although Never Enough hasn't been played since the SC tour cycle.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #583 on: February 02, 2023, 01:22:41 PM »
James once said in an interview he just doesn't feel right singing New Millenium live, but other than that I don't think there's any song they've banned for good form performing live. However, I find funny/interesting that on at least two different occasions Mike M has talked about asking the other guys to add I Walk Beside You to the set and it just hasn't happened. I guess that one might be a bit too tricky to pull off vocals-wise since there's a key change and it gets to a very high singing register.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #584 on: February 02, 2023, 01:58:27 PM »
Pretty sure also The Great Debate is not coming back, since i think JP has said that it didn't get a very warm reaction live.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #585 on: February 02, 2023, 02:09:59 PM »
I have even money on Don't Look Past Me never being played again.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #586 on: February 02, 2023, 02:12:05 PM »
James once said in an interview he just doesn't feel right singing New Millenium live, but other than that I don't think there's any song they've banned for good form performing live. However, I find funny/interesting that on at least two different occasions Mike M has talked about asking the other guys to add I Walk Beside You to the set and it just hasn't happened. I guess that one might be a bit too tricky to pull off vocals-wise since there's a key change and it gets to a very high singing register.
Very curious why James doesn't feel right about NM. I'd love to see that (or anything from FII really) in a live context, personally

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #587 on: February 02, 2023, 02:50:15 PM »
Very curious why James doesn't feel right about NM. I'd love to see that (or anything from FII really) in a live context, personally

Here's the actual quote from the interview:

Here’s a question that a fan asked me to bring up: What are your favorite and least favorite songs to perform live?

Uuuuuh… Least favorite… I would say, probably… I don’t know… New Millennium. That song, I just didn’t feel it. There were some cool moments in it, I just didn’t… whenever we performed it, I didn’t feel it. The favorite song for me is… I love Scarred, I love performing that live. And… well, Octavarium, that whole frickin’ thing… Ministry of Lost Souls and that… I don’t know… Octavarium in itself, this song, I loved performing. I thought it was an amazing song. It’s kinda hard. That’s a hard question to answer cause there’s so many moments that I know… cause 99 percent of the songs, I love singing.

Taken from: https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2011/07/11/resurfacing-an-interview-with-james-labrie/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: February 02, 2023, 03:03:05 PM »

Yeah, this version is amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #589 on: February 02, 2023, 04:02:22 PM »

Here’s a question that a fan asked me to bring up: What are your favorite and least favorite songs to perform live?

Uuuuuh… Least favorite… I would say, probably… I don’t know… New Millennium. That song, I just didn’t feel it. There were some cool moments in it, I just didn’t… whenever we performed it, I didn’t feel it. The favorite song for me is… I love Scarred, I love performing that live. And… well, Octavarium, that whole frickin’ thing… Ministry of Lost Souls and that… I don’t know… Octavarium in itself, this song, I loved performing. I thought it was an amazing song. It’s kinda hard. That’s a hard question to answer cause there’s so many moments that I know… cause 99 percent of the songs, I love singing.

Taken from: https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2011/07/11/resurfacing-an-interview-with-james-labrie/

If James loves singing Octavarium, then why the hell hasn’t it come back yet? A fan favorite song that your singer loves performing should be an obvious choice for a setlist.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #590 on: February 02, 2023, 04:15:15 PM »

Interesting. This does make me wonder if DT have some sort of democratic process for working out their setlist. Running on from what The Count said, that might be why 8VM hasn't been performed again since. I would have assumed they would gravitate toward songs that JLB finds easier or more pleasant to sing, but maybe someone isn't as much of a fan of the title track.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #591 on: February 02, 2023, 04:16:06 PM »
I will be perfectly happy never having to worry about hearing TGD, NM and DLPM.  All of those are bottom 10 DT songs.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #592 on: February 02, 2023, 07:16:18 PM »

I wonder about Prophets of War? It almost feels too of-an-era to play now.

That said, I truly don't believe any DT song is absolutely off limits. Even ones JP has voiced concerns about in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if we even get some kind of medley one day - if they don't want to play all of TBOT, a medley would at least give them an opportunity to jump into that awesome guitar solo.

Offline JLa

« Reply #593 on: February 03, 2023, 02:19:51 AM »
I'm just glad I got to see them on the SDOIT tour. Opening the show with TGP was simply amazing, crowd went completely bonkers right from the start. So, yeah, would be cool to have the song on an official DVD.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #594 on: February 03, 2023, 07:25:38 AM »
I wonder about Prophets of War? It almost feels too of-an-era to play now.
To me, it feels too not-very-good to play now.

That said, I truly don't believe any DT song is absolutely off limits. Even ones JP has voiced concerns about in the past.
I don't know.  I suggested Eve to him and he literally laughed.  I think that one has gone the way of the dodo.