Author Topic: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers  (Read 81722 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I really need to get introspective and examine how and why, at my age, I can allow the impact of a football game to put me in such a shifty mood for days on end. It's immature, stupid and petty.

On the contrary, if you feel that way about the outcome of a sporting event, it's a sign of your true manhood.  The more rage and/or depression you feel, the more manly you are. 

And, yeah, my sarcastic humor is my way of saying I'm totally with you.   :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

If Nantz and Romo do the Super Bowl, I’m moving to Canada with Alec Baldwin.

I mean this with tongue firmly in cheek:  Is this like all the celebs who said they'd leave the country if Trump were elected in 2016?

BTW, they will be doing the Owl, but you could always watch the Nickelodeon broadcast.   :biggrin:

I hate that I'm going to be reduced to rooting for the 49'ers.  Has Vegas established an over/under for the number of Taylor Swift shots during the game?  I'm just glad I won't be in a situation where I have to watch any of the (what is it up to now...9 hours?) of pregame coverage.  I'll turn it on around 3:15-3:20.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure I saw that there will be 10 hours of gameday pregame coverage.

I love football, and I like and respect both teams, but no way am I sitting through all of that.  Who is that for?

And Taylor Swift is fine with me.  I don't understand all the people bitching about her being there, or about her being shown on TV.  Not saying YOU are doing that, just saying.  She's fine, she isn't hurting anything.

I kind of get it if you are a fan on a team playing the superbowl. All that pregame stuff will probably talk about the two teams and it may be interesting if you are a fan.  But since I'm not, I can't say I care for any of it.

I'm relatively confident that I watched no more of the pregame nonsense in 2016 (SB50 - last Broncos SB) than I did in 2020 (last SF/KC matchup).  Fortunately, there's usually some hockey on TV, and I use the weekends to catch up on Jeopardy episodes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
If Nantz and Romo do the Super Bowl, I’m moving to Canada with Alec Baldwin.

I mean this with tongue firmly in cheek:  Is this like all the celebs who said they'd leave the country if Trump were elected in 2016?

BTW, they will be doing the Owl, but you could always watch the Nickelodeon broadcast.   :biggrin:

I hate that I'm going to be reduced to rooting for the 49'ers.  Has Vegas established an over/under for the number of Taylor Swift shots during the game?  I'm just glad I won't be in a situation where I have to watch any of the (what is it up to now...9 hours?) of pregame coverage.  I'll turn it on around 3:15-3:20.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure I saw that there will be 10 hours of gameday pregame coverage.

I love football, and I like and respect both teams, but no way am I sitting through all of that.  Who is that for?

And Taylor Swift is fine with me.  I don't understand all the people bitching about her being there, or about her being shown on TV.  Not saying YOU are doing that, just saying.  She's fine, she isn't hurting anything.

I kind of get it if you are a fan on a team playing the superbowl. All that pregame stuff will probably talk about the two teams and it may be interesting if you are a fan.  But since I'm not, I can't say I care for any of it.

I'm relatively confident that I watched no more of the pregame nonsense in 2016 (SB50 - last Broncos SB) than I did in 2020 (last SF/KC matchup).  Fortunately, there's usually some hockey on TV, and I use the weekends to catch up on Jeopardy episodes.

When the Giants beat the Pats in the two Superbowls of my time as a fan, I was GLUED to the TV those days and both times after the game too.  I was just soaking in all that Giant fluff content. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
When the Giants beat the Pats in the two Superbowls of my time as a fan, I was GLUED to the TV those days and both times after the game too.  I was just soaking in all that Giant fluff content.
Even when it was the Patriots I didn't turn the TV on until 5:18, or whatever the start time was supposed to be, and I left it muted for the 20 minutes of jerking off Uncle Sammy. That said, at least after 28-3 I watched every bit of the post-game fanfare.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
If my boys win, I'll usually watch some of the post-game, and I agree with Stadler, while Strachan is a favorite, he does suck at that part of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I got everybody beat for game watching. I'll be at Haken. Maybe Knotts Berry Farm beforehand, depending on how I feel.

I'll be at my AA meeting for the Superbowl...I'd skip it but it's our monthly business meeting which I run, so no escaping it this time.

Last time the Niners were in it I was also at my meeting.

When we say sobriety before everything, we mean it lol

Does "sobriety" mean you can't stream it on your phone under the table...?   :) :) :) :)

(I'm not joking about your sobriety; just lightening the mood a bit).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I got everybody beat for game watching. I'll be at Haken. Maybe Knotts Berry Farm beforehand, depending on how I feel.

I'll be at my AA meeting for the Superbowl...I'd skip it but it's our monthly business meeting which I run, so no escaping it this time.

Does "sobriety" mean you can't stream it on your phone under the table...?   :) :) :) :)

I missed the 49ers/Bengals SB in 1982 because of my drinking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

For the business meeting, I can't, cause unfortunately I need to pay attention. For the regular meeting I guarantee half of us will have it streaming.

My favorite Superbowl 'oops' story is actually from the foodservice industry. I was a sous chef at a local Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and some dipshit actually planned their wedding for Superbowl Sunday, and booked the whole restaurant out at a ludicrous sum (I'd imagine 6 figures including food)... and predictably, everyone was stationed in the bar watching the game with the bride crying buckets and the mother of the bride pissed of at pretty much everyone. Of course, nobody gave a fuck and continued to watch the game. Classic.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Seems that there is a lot of disinterest (at least vocally) on other sites about how this SB is not exciting. I get it, KC is KC and SF has looked like the best team in the league. Maybe many (including myself) were bummed something more exciting didn't happen, like Detroit making it in. I have nothing against KC or SF, and it should be a good game regardless. Just thought that was interesting and I get it.

Offline Dave_Manchester

Offline pg1067

Average price of 10 grand for a Super Bowl ticket!

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/29/business/super-bowl-ticket-prices/index.html

Give it a week.  No one's paying that much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

Weren't you like 12?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Weren't you like 12?

Yes. :lol
13 actually.

I got busted drinking at an 8th grade dance a couple of weeks before. My brother had a hockey game the evening of the SB that year, and my parents would not leave me home so I could watch the game because I "couldn't be trusted". :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member

Weren't you like 12?

Yes. :lol
13 actually.

I got busted drinking at an 8th grade dance a couple of weeks before. My brother had a hockey game the evening of the SB that year, and my parents would not leave me home so I could watch the game because I "couldn't be trusted". :lol
Serves you right!  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Where I went to high school everyone went on a weekend-long retreat at some point in their junior year. They'd schedule like 6 or 8 weekends for it and then everyone either signed up for a specific retreat or got assigned one if they had no preference. It ended up that my friends and I went on retreat the last weekend in January, Super Bowl weekend. We couldn't watch the game live, but somebody recorded it on VHS and anyone who wanted to see it could stay up late and watch the tape. Good game even though the Pats won, but it was Super Bowl 38, which, because we fast-forwarded through the halftime show to finish the game, means we may have been the last people on the planet to find out about the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Where I went to high school everyone went on a weekend-long retreat at some point in their junior year. They'd schedule like 6 or 8 weekends for it and then everyone either signed up for a specific retreat or got assigned one if they had no preference. It ended up that my friends and I went on retreat the last weekend in January, Super Bowl weekend. We couldn't watch the game live, but somebody recorded it on VHS and anyone who wanted to see it could stay up late and watch the tape. Good game even though the Pats won, but it was Super Bowl 38, which, because we fast-forwarded through the halftime show to finish the game, means we may have been the last people on the planet to find out about the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction :lol

Wow, maybe the only folks on the planet not kept abreast of that situation.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
My favorite Superbowl 'oops' story is actually from the foodservice industry. I was a sous chef at a local Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and some dipshit actually planned their wedding for Superbowl Sunday, and booked the whole restaurant out at a ludicrous sum (I'd imagine 6 figures including food)... and predictably, everyone was stationed in the bar watching the game with the bride crying buckets and the mother of the bride pissed of at pretty much everyone. Of course, nobody gave a fuck and continued to watch the game. Classic.

Which SB was it?

Years ago I worked for a wedding reception facility. The boss didn't follow sports, and he scheduled an open house right during SB33. I told him to reschedule as no one would show up. He didn't and I was scheduled to work it with another lady. I was legitimately sick that day, and left halfway through due to both my illness and low turnout. I went home, watched a bit of the game, then fell asleep and missed the rest of it, including, like axeman90210, the "wardrobe malfunction."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Don't remember, it would've been either '03 or '04

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers
« Reply #2573 on: January 30, 2024, 09:26:40 AM »
Seems that there is a lot of disinterest (at least vocally) on other sites about how this SB is not exciting.

Not sure where you've been hanging out, but I have seen the exact opposite. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2574 on: January 30, 2024, 09:48:24 AM »
Seems that there is a lot of disinterest (at least vocally) on other sites about how this SB is not exciting.

Same.  Not exciting?  The best team this year (49ers) vs. the best team of the last several years (Chiefs)?  Except for haters of those teams, this is almost a dream matchup.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: January 30, 2024, 09:50:36 AM »

Well we all know where you are so no surprise.  I think a lot of people are tired of KC and Mahommes/Swift.  No one in my circle of life seems interested in the game besides my one 49ers fan friend (and even he has been incredibly quiet about it shockingly).  I do think most people get that this is one of the best if not the best match up of best teams, but like when the Patriots always made it, people lose some interest.  I don't get all the Swift hate, but we know it exists. I don't really get all the Mahomes hate either, but we also know it exists.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2576 on: January 30, 2024, 12:21:24 PM »
Maybe people are upset about the clear rigging of the entire season. It all makes sense now.  ::)

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/30/media/taylor-swift-super-bowl-right-wing-conspiracy/index.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2577 on: January 30, 2024, 12:24:47 PM »
Maybe people are upset about the clear rigging of the entire season. It all makes sense now.  ::)

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/30/media/taylor-swift-super-bowl-right-wing-conspiracy/index.html

As I saw elsewhere and shared, I'd love to see her take a knee during the anthem. That aftermath would be fucking glorious.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: January 30, 2024, 12:28:03 PM »

As I saw elsewhere and shared, I'd love to see her take a knee during the anthem. That aftermath would be fucking glorious.

Was just thinknig, all the people who say they wont watch the superbowl because of Swift are likely the same people who said they wouldnt watch after Kapernick kneeled, and yet they are still clearly watching to make another empty threat  :lol Now if you combined the two.... wonder what would happen  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2579 on: January 30, 2024, 12:30:43 PM »

Fun video spoofing the idea of the NFL being scripted (from the same content creator I posted above):  "If the NFL Was Scripted: Championship Sunday"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ikPt5ZCGME

:lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2580 on: January 30, 2024, 12:38:16 PM »

I find it hard to believe that people actually believe nonsense like this, and yet experience has taught me that people indeed do believe this crap.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2581 on: January 30, 2024, 12:50:03 PM »
So somehow the Political Thread has devolved into a discussion of Super Bowl party foods, and the NFL thread has gone to the gutter making fun of the far-right as "loony" and "deranged".

The world makes no sense.  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2582 on: January 30, 2024, 12:51:29 PM »
Stadler, you can take your deplorable right wing Super Bowl party foods somewhere else!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2583 on: January 30, 2024, 12:55:54 PM »
deplorable foods kind of sounds good

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2584 on: January 30, 2024, 12:58:07 PM »
In threads and out threads.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2585 on: January 30, 2024, 12:58:26 PM »
We should come up with a menu.  For appetizers, I proposed "butter emails."

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2586 on: January 30, 2024, 01:09:10 PM »

Literally took me a second.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2587 on: January 30, 2024, 01:30:06 PM »
Sir, that is pretty damn fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2588 on: January 30, 2024, 01:31:04 PM »
*bow and flourish*

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2589 on: January 30, 2024, 01:38:52 PM »
So somehow the Political Thread has devolved into a discussion of Super Bowl party foods, and the NFL thread has gone to the gutter making fun of the far-right as "loony" and "deranged".

The world makes no sense.  ;)

In our defense, the far right is all of those things. At least the far left colors their hair blue to signify their looniness.