Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 142738 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #3500 on: June 10, 2024, 09:47:05 AM »
The upper tier's still not open as far as I can tell.

It's not yet, but it will be eventually (at the moment, they are ensuring that the entire lower floor is sold out. They keep reporting low availability, but at the same time, they are making entire rows available as the other seats are sold).
It's hard to think the place will sold out completely, but the parterre and the first tier will be and the show's gonna be huge - also in comparison to the attendance of the last tours in the UK

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: June 10, 2024, 10:10:15 AM »
What makes you say that? That wouldn't make any sense, why book the o2 and not have the top tier on sale?

Well, why book Wembley Arena and then curtain half of it off? That never made sense, either, and they did that on several occasions. Just play Hammy O. At least there's some sort of reason for them trying the O2. I hope, really really hope, that they do open the upper tier and it does get sold out.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #3502 on: June 10, 2024, 11:07:23 AM »
I guess I'm just out of the loop (and maybe just a dumb yank), but I assumed the top tier was just sold out based on the ticketing website: https://www.axs.com/uk/events/541417/dream-theater-tickets

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3503 on: June 10, 2024, 01:10:00 PM »
Ah, gotcha. Anyway, no. The upper tier's simply never been on sale.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3504 on: June 11, 2024, 12:48:08 AM »
Well, why book Wembley Arena and then curtain half of it off? That never made sense, either, and they did that on several occasions. Just play Hammy O. At least there's some sort of reason for them trying the O2. I hope, really really hope, that they do open the upper tier and it does get sold out.

Well, it’s not always a matter of the band wanting to play in a specific venue: sometimes big arenas are cheaper or proportionally as cost-effective as smaller spaces. This is simply because arenas also try to sell as many dates as possible.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3505 on: June 11, 2024, 10:30:53 AM »
True, true.

Lotta risk though in putting DT on at the O2. Still, I presume that's all on the promoter.

Regardless, I really cannot wait for the opening bars of whatever the first song is :metal
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: June 17, 2024, 03:15:34 PM »
MP on FB:

Just arrived at Camp Portnoy HOT OFF THE PRESSES!! My Brand New ProMark DT Tour Sticks!! 🥁 These are my signature 420X sticks in Purple finish (bringin it back full circle to the first sticks I used to use in the early years of DT!)

Keep your eyes open on a cool upcoming promo/contest that ProMark and SABIAN are going to be doing where you can win a pair of these sticks (and lots of other goodies), months before I hit the road with them for Dream Theater’s 40th Anniversary Tour! (Note: these are my exclusive tour sticks and will not be available at retail)

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #3507 on: June 17, 2024, 06:34:37 PM »
Hell yea purple

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3508 on: June 18, 2024, 09:22:33 AM »
<3
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 07:00:03 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3510 on: June 18, 2024, 06:59:13 PM »
They're so tightlipped about a lot of details, but generally I feel like that interview is one of the more candid accounts of what's going on in the band right now. It actually kinda makes me wonder if JP/JR were already thinking about a full reunion back in 2020/2021 but weren't going to broach the topic out of respect for JLB. Seems like as soon as JLB/MP made up we were barreling toward a reunion. I almost wonder if JLB first suggested the idea out loud.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3511 on: June 18, 2024, 07:02:09 PM »
They're so tightlipped about a lot of details, but generally I feel like that interview is one of the more candid accounts of what's going on in the band right now. It actually kinda makes me wonder if JP/JR were already thinking about a full reunion back in 2020/2021 but weren't going to broach the topic out of respect for JLB. Seems like as soon as JLB/MP made up we were barreling toward a reunion. I almost wonder if JLB first suggested the idea out loud.

0.000001% chance that's how it went down.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3512 on: June 18, 2024, 07:09:53 PM »
James seems honestly very very excited by the new album - soon it will be up to the listener/fan to judge. Is it possible to have something almost so unanimously positive like SFAM at this point? Very unlikely. Also very cool to confirm that, although Mike is writing the setlist, he's listening a lot to the band's wishes.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3513 on: June 18, 2024, 07:13:08 PM »
James going into the studio "within a month" to record vocals for the new album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3514 on: June 18, 2024, 07:25:00 PM »
Wow, that was an excellent interview and James was pretty forthcoming in terms of MP returning and where they stand on the new album, and next year's touring as well.

NA tour starts in February!

And the album may not be released until early '25. WUT??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3515 on: June 18, 2024, 07:26:15 PM »
Wow, that was an excellent interview and James was pretty forthcoming in terms of MP returning and where they stand on the new album, and next year's touring as well.

NA tour starts in February!
Dang I missed that cause it wasn't in the blabbermouth summary. I assume it's mentioned in the video?

Here's a direct link for anyone who wants the whole thing:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=GGupdrdOoJs
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3516 on: June 18, 2024, 07:27:05 PM »
Dang I missed that cause it wasn't in the blabbermouth summary. I assume it's mentioned in the video?

Yes.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3517 on: June 18, 2024, 07:30:45 PM »
More confirmation that the album will drop before the tour imo. Kinda doubt they will release in January again and they're not going to wait until the middle of 2025. September is really the only time that makes sense.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3518 on: June 18, 2024, 07:33:43 PM »
More confirmation that the album will drop before the tour imo. Kinda doubt they will release in January again and they're not going to wait until the middle of 2025. September is really the only time that makes sense.

Well he says at the very end that it could drop early '25.
He said don't quote him but they're having those discussions.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3519 on: June 18, 2024, 07:38:10 PM »

OK I'm going to watch the video and then comment. Seems like Blabbermouth left out some key information.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3520 on: June 18, 2024, 07:45:42 PM »

OK I'm going to watch the video and then comment. Seems like Blabbermouth left out some key information.  :lol

Yeah, well WTF Blabbermouth?  :lol  The video is only like 13 minutes and worth watching.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #3521 on: June 18, 2024, 07:56:20 PM »
Cool to hear things from James' POV, sounds like a pretty crazy tour schedule for them once it gets started

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3522 on: June 18, 2024, 09:10:58 PM »
Well there you go, straight from the man himself. The way he said it makes me think there is no realistic expectation of dropping ahead of the European tour. I wonder if they'll play a single in Europe.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3523 on: June 18, 2024, 09:25:38 PM »
Ya, pretty clearly said 2025 to me. :'(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3524 on: June 19, 2024, 11:13:37 AM »
Early 2025 makes a lot of sense since the album isn't done yet.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3525 on: June 19, 2024, 11:17:42 AM »
I'm amazed it takes so long to release an album in this day and age. They finished recording it weeks ago (I understand there is mastering), and we no longer live in an era where a label has to coordinate the release of physical media world-wide. 

Part of me can't help but think it's a conscious delay to coincide with the NA tour, while also allowing it to be different enough from the European tour where they can go back and get fans for a second viewing.   

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3526 on: June 19, 2024, 11:24:22 AM »
So if 2025 is when the album is coming out then I imagine we'll at least get a single close to the London date.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3527 on: June 19, 2024, 11:27:54 AM »
I'm amazed it takes so long to release an album in this day and age. They finished recording it weeks ago (I understand there is mastering), and we no longer live in an era where a label has to coordinate the release of physical media world-wide. 

Part of me can't help but think it's a conscious delay to coincide with the NA tour, while also allowing it to be different enough from the European tour where they can go back and get fans for a second viewing.
They haven't finished recording it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3528 on: June 19, 2024, 11:29:23 AM »
So if 2025 is when the album is coming out then I imagine we'll at least get a single close to the London date.

Yeah, this still seems very much in play.  First promotion of the album could line up with the start of the tour and drop of the first single.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3529 on: June 19, 2024, 11:29:56 AM »

It's an interesting (and somewhat paradoxical) sign of the times–everything, and I mean everything about writing/recording/touring in the '70s was more difficult and time consuming. From cutting tape to setting up a stage to pressing the freaking vinyl to everything in between, making music was by no means 'easy,' yet bands churned out albums at warp speed.

Today, with digital recording/distribution, you'd like to think that the time between humming a melody in the shower to a fan listening to said melody in their car would be exponentially shorter, but all of our modern trappings have certainly not had that effect.

That's not to say it's good or bad, and I am certainly not a 'back in the day' sort of person, but the fact remains that musicians work on much longer timetable in 2024 than they did in 1974.

That all said, I'm happy to way. DT has earned the right to do whatever they want at whatever pace they want. While I suspect that any delays or protracted schedule issues are more related to logistical issues outside of their control, I'm happy the band isn't 'rushing' what might be the most important album of the rest of their career.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3530 on: June 19, 2024, 11:38:04 AM »
And yet too many bands to count released 2 quality albums in one year back in the 70's and early 80's. It does seem strange.

I'm not sure most of them were involved in side projects though, with time consuming obligations outside of their primary band.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3531 on: June 19, 2024, 11:39:16 AM »
It's an interesting (and somewhat paradoxical) sign of the times–everything, and I mean everything about writing/recording/touring in the '70s was more difficult and time consuming. From cutting tape to setting up a stage to pressing the freaking vinyl to everything in between, making music was by no means 'easy,' yet bands churned out albums at warp speed.

Today, with digital recording/distribution, you'd like to think that the time between humming a melody in the shower to a fan listening to said melody in their car would be exponentially shorter, but all of our modern trappings have certainly not had that effect.

That's not to say it's good or bad, and I am certainly not a 'back in the day' sort of person, but the fact remains that musicians work on much longer timetable in 2024 than they did in 1974.

That all said, I'm happy to way. DT has earned the right to do whatever they want at whatever pace they want. While I suspect that any delays or protracted schedule issues are more related to logistical issues outside of their control, I'm happy the band isn't 'rushing' what might be the most important album of the rest of their career.

I am on this camp as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3532 on: June 19, 2024, 11:41:14 AM »
Music industry is also a lot different today.  Bands are putting more and more singles out and less albums.  Also I feel like the labels want bands to tour on new music wether it be the new single or new album.  So putting bands on the road for a full year before they can work on a new album.  And yet, there do exists bands that put out a ton of music still.  Evergrey released four albums in the last five years for example.

Offline efx

« Reply #3533 on: June 19, 2024, 11:41:31 AM »
I have a few friends in fairly high profile metal bands and it's really interesting to hear them talk about the release of albums. Sometimes an album will sit completely done for a year, sometimes more. But I get it. From the labels POV there's some value in building up hype, making sure it doesn't collide with other releases etc. There's definitely more to it than just finishing it as a recording/mixing/mastering thing. But I also buy into the argument that it could be something to boost the hype for a NA tour. Europe got it's hype through the reunion so it'd make sense to offer the second half of the our something new.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3534 on: June 19, 2024, 11:42:55 AM »
They haven't finished recording it.

Ahhh. My mistake. I could have sworn MP, or one of the guys, made a post online saying it was a wrap.