Dream Theater Detail 7LP Vinyl Box Set DREAM THEATER VOL. 1

Started by The Letter M, August 28, 2024, 10:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoraWintersoul

I own all four of these - got those Music on Vinyl ones for normal prices in local Norwegian stores between 2017 and 2021-ish - so pass. I do like that box though. Next edition of this I'm probably getting because I haven't seen SDOIT in a store in a while and I shamefully didn't buy it because the price was a bit whack every time.

The DT vinyl section has been absolutely flooded with LNF releases, in fact, I think that's what got them their own labelled section a bit back, before they were just under "D" everywhere I went. They really flooded the market with those and if I'm not buying them, I don't really know who is ??? I get vinyl to show off and play my favorite albums in a nice format, not so much to support the band or collect everything related to them.

hefdaddy42

This seems like a neat thing to have, but I would almost never listen to it, so I would be owning just to own it.

I already have enough "stuff" like that, so this will not be a purchase from me.  But if someone wants to get it for me for my birthday (September 9th BTW), then I would gladly accept it.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TheBarstoolWarrior

The more stuff I accumulate as I get older (and fatter) the more I prefer experiences over things. I'll save my money on this one and put it towards a better seat when the time comes.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

Max Kuehnau

All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: ZirconBlue on August 29, 2024, 11:54:29 AMWhen Dream & Day Unite (Taylor's Version)
now the question would be: would she be the one to be tattooed in her sleep or would she tattoo a man in his sleep?  :lol
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

nobloodyname

This release is a big skip for me. I already own the albums on vinyl and there's no value add to make up for that. It's also unlikely to appreciate in value. As with cuckster, all I'd be doing is buying it to pop on a shelf. And since I'm now in my early 50s, no value add means 1) I'm adding to the considerable problem I've already created for someone else to deal with when I die, and 2) putting money on the shelf that'd be better spent either investing or getting active enjoyment from.

Your mileage may vary and you may feel less nihilistic than me :biggrin:

Edit: shocking English language butchery.
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

CraftyCaleb2483

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on August 29, 2024, 05:35:45 PMnow the question would be: would she be the one to be tattooed in her sleep or would she tattoo a man in his sleep?  :lol
:rollin
"Frustration is frustratingly frustrating."
"From experience, I know that a squishy ripe mango is about as squishy as a ripe mango."

ytserush

Quote from: KidInTheDark666 on August 28, 2024, 01:50:57 PMI'm surprised at the negative comments. I would've thought the DT fandom are some of the worst hoarders of ancient LP's and stuff.

Well, nothing about this is ancient for starters.

ytserush

Kind of off topic but what would Dream Theater reasonably get if they sold the rights to their catalog and would something like this ever happen?

Stadler

Quote from: ytserush on August 31, 2024, 06:01:02 PMKind of off topic but what would Dream Theater reasonably get if they sold the rights to their catalog and would something like this ever happen?

I can't speak to what they'd "reasonably get", but certainly they COULD do it if an offer ever came up. I'm not an expert here, but I tend to think that the catalogues that have broad application - commercials, jingle music, soundtracks, etc. - are the ones that garner the best return. I love this band, I love the music and the musicians that make it, but I think we have to be honest.  "Never say never", but I can't imagine Marvel, for example, is beating down Dream Theater's door for the use of their music. 

HOF

Yeah, I don't know that there is much value in the DT catalog other than selling the back catalog back to the core audience. There may be some areas where you could make some licensing money (video games, maybe a certain type of movie, sports networks, that sort of thing perhaps). But I don't know that the value there would be massive to a prospective buyer. Maybe DT has a late career hit or something though which makes the back catalog suddenly more marketable.

pg1067

Quote from: ytserush on August 31, 2024, 06:01:02 PMKind of off topic but what would Dream Theater reasonably get if they sold the rights to their catalog and would something like this ever happen?

Selling their "catalog" means selling the musical composition copyrights (it's also commonly referred to as the sale of publishing rights).  The owner of a musical composition copyright earns money in the following circumstances:

1. When someone sells a "phonorecord" (i.e., any recording in any sort of media) containing the musical composition.

2. When someone (legally) makes a cover version or other derivative work (I say "legally" to exclude covers that are posted on YouTube and other similar things).

3. When the song is (legally) performed publicly - either live or on radio or via music video (including at sporting events or, hypothetically, in TV or radio commercials).

4. When someone streams a song legally.

90+% of DT's songs don't generate any revenue except for the fractional revenue associated with album sales.  Even a song like PMU doesn't generate a ton of revenue, so the sale of the band's publishing rights likely would generate relatively little money.  Given what I know about some other deals, I'd be shocked if the number were higher than $250k.

HOF

Do the Spurs still play Metropolis pt. 1 during their team intro?

Yeah, I think it would be a small deal and not worth it to the band to sell.

Skeever

Did they do anything special with the mastering or anything like that? Those are the details I care way more about.

ytserush

Quote from: Stadler on September 03, 2024, 06:25:57 AMI can't speak to what they'd "reasonably get", but certainly they COULD do it if an offer ever came up. I'm not an expert here, but I tend to think that the catalogues that have broad application - commercials, jingle music, soundtracks, etc. - are the ones that garner the best return. I love this band, I love the music and the musicians that make it, but I think we have to be honest.  "Never say never", but I can't imagine Marvel, for example, is beating down Dream Theater's door for the use of their music. 

Don't think so either. Just wondering if there was a consensus.

Angini

It sounds cool, it would be kind of sad to have these albums without the full LP sleeves. Anyone know if they'll include them in the box set? Recreations of those iconic album covers would be so nice to have  :lol