News:

Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

Karaoke Classics

Started by twosuitsluke, September 13, 2024, 09:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twosuitsluke

DTF, I need your input!

My sister is having a 40th Birthday Bash next weekend, and we are doing karaoke on the Saturday. Now, I have no problem doing karaoke, I kinda love it, but I want to think outside the box for some quality classics to bust out.

My problem has historically been that I'll pick our a song that I love, but don't realise it isn't so great for karaoke until I actually start singing  :lol

So tell me, what are your karaoke classics, or songs that are perfect for karaoke?
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

King Postwhore

You're the One that I Want - Grease

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Evermind

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up

:neverusethis:
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

LithoJazzoSphere

"Murder of the Universe" suite.  Film and post it so it goes viral. 

TAC

The Han-Tyumi-Murder Of The Universe Suite.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

HOF

I might suggest the Murder of the Universe suite.

Or maybe just (I've Had) The Time of My Life.

King Postwhore

Guys he said classic songs not epic songs. LOL
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

jingle.boy

One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

twosuitsluke

Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

King Postwhore

Anguyen92

In the event I may do karaoke at some point in the future, here's probably what I think I would go with.

Linkin Park's In the End
Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Maybe Audioslave's Be Yourself or Incubus' Dig.

T-ski

The answer is always "Don't Stop Believing".

SoundscapeMN

Bohemian Rhapsody as a Group.

King Postwhore

I love singing Dig. Great song.

KevShmev

If my memory surives me right, I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor is the most karaoke'd song of all time (supposedly).

If you can get a guy and a girl to wanna do a song together and they are all about fun and being campy, Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meat Loaf or Time Warp (from Rocky Horror) are both can't misses.

pg1067

Quote from: King Postwhore on September 13, 2024, 12:20:30 PMDust in the Wind

Back in the early '90s, I dated a girl whose apartment was walking distance from a bowling alley where they did karaoke on the weekends.  We were frequent attendees, and Dust in the Wind was my #1 song.  I also did Styx's Babe and Peter Paul & Mary's Leaving on a Jet Plane.  She used to do Berlin's Take My Breath Away.

The wife and I did karaoke sometime before the kids were born.  I decided Aqualung would be a good, easy one.  It was, but I was not previously fully aware of the lyrics, so that was interesting.

The last time I did karaoke was at a company holiday party in downtown Los Angeles (again, at a bowling alley).  To my great surprise, then had DT's Surrounded.  I nailed most of it, but I crapped out on the high part in the middle.

King Postwhore

Last time I did Karaoke I sang Semi Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind. A few years ago.

TAC

Quote from: King Postwhore on September 13, 2024, 02:57:31 PMLast time I did Karaoke I sang Semi Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind. A few years ago.

I think he said he's looking for songs people have actually heard of.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

LithoJazzoSphere

I can hear that song in my head just looking at the title, but I was also in my early teens when it was popular.  I liked "Never Let You Go" more.

King Postwhore

Quote from: TAC on September 13, 2024, 03:25:18 PMI think he said he's looking for songs people have actually heard of.

Tim, I know you were in a coma in the 90's but it's a well known song.

TAC

Quote from: King Postwhore on September 13, 2024, 03:39:56 PMTim, I know you were in a coma in the 90's but it's a well known song.

Comatose for sure. :lol

King Postwhore

PixelDream

George Michael - Careless Whisper
Chris Isaak - Wicked Game

These two are definitely my favorites.

pg1067

Quote from: King Postwhore on September 13, 2024, 02:57:31 PMLast time I did Karaoke I sang Semi Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind. A few years ago.

That'd be a mouthful of a karaoke song!

Tim, you likely know it, but the name doesn't really stand out.

Quote from: PixelDream on September 13, 2024, 04:21:03 PMChris Isaak - Wicked Game

That takes some balls (or lack thereof) to attempt!

TAC

Quote from: pg1067 on September 13, 2024, 04:28:27 PMTim, you likely know it, but the name doesn't really stand out.

You mean the song with 529 MILLION streams? :lol

It does sound vaguely familiar, but I can't really place it, honestly.

SoundscapeMN

My girlfriend (now wife) got to do Mama's Room by Under the Influence of Giants once. Super fun.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: King Postwhore on September 13, 2024, 09:48:50 AMYou're the One that I Want - Grease

The best song, besides Sandra Dee

twosuitsluke

Thanks for all the input guys. 

So, as the party is actually going to be fancy dress, I'm actually looking for an iconic karaoke song, featuring an iconic look. Think Freddie Mercury in the I Want to Break Free video.

Anyone got any great ideas for a great song with a great accompanying look? I'm trying to think a bit outside of the box  :lol

PixelDream

Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch, wearing an outfit like in the song's video.

At least it's outside the box right. Nevermind, please don't do this. Or do it. Whatever.  :lol

King Postwhore

If that's the case try "Whip It" by Devo.

Zydar

I've only tried karaoke one time, and it was at a friend's house so not out in public. I foolishly attempted Tears Of The Dragon (Bruce D), and holy hell what a mistake  ;D The verses were fine but that chorus killed me. Wish I could've blamed the alcohol but I don't drink. 

billboy73

My go to ones are from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack:

Patrick Swayze - She's Like the Wind

I've Had the Time of My Life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes, if you want to pull off a duet.

lonestar

If you want to garner some audience participation, Sweet Caroline always works.

Cool Chris

My go-to song is White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. It is short, familiar to many even if people don't know it by name or artist (though maybe there needs to be a level of fogie-ness), and a hell of a lot of fun to sing, especially that last FEED YOUR HEEEEAAAADDDDDDD.

OpenYourEyes311

Quote from: TAC on September 13, 2024, 04:57:05 PMYou mean the song with 529 MILLION streams? :lol

It does sound vaguely familiar, but I can't really place it, honestly.

Tim, it's the song that goes "Doo doo doo, doo doodoodoo." Hope this helps. :tup

Quote from: twosuitsluke on September 17, 2024, 03:15:03 AMAnyone got any great ideas for a great song with a great accompanying look? I'm trying to think a bit outside of the box  :lol

The only thing I can think of is Elton John. Tiny Dancer is a pretty epic singalong.